Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nissan Sunderland 18:10 - Feb 3 with 7338 viewsLohengrin

I decided to post this as a stand-alone rather than on the Brexit thread so it could attempt to reply to the comments posted by Gower, Warwick, Ebo and others who have reacted to the news of Nissan’s announcement and the point not be lost in the shuffle. You are some of this site’s brightest and best but you seem blind to what has happened here; the press, especially the pro-EU outlets seem deliberately, wilfully silent.

I’ve been waiting for the hammer to fall I was just kept guessing as to where and when for the last month. Boys, THE EU HAS CAUSED THIS. I sensed immediately what the fall-out was going to be and I was proven balefully right, up to the hilt of the dagger being plunged into the workingmans’ back.

On the 12th of December last the ink was drying in Strasbourg on the new EU-Japan Economic Parnership Agreement granting at the stroke of a pen customs-free access to the European market for goods manufactured in the orient. Within a matter of weeks we have the first announcement that new production is shifting. It’s not going from Sunderland to Frankfurt or Milan or Amiens it’s repatriating to Yokohama. How the feck could they not have seen this coming? These multinationals have sucked the public finances dry through grants, favourable rate and tax breaks and now they have been handed what they wanted all along they are upping sticks and trailing devestation in their wake.

There’s been nothing from our politicians, they are now way, way beyond useless. I’d invite you to look upon and listen to Orwell’s “rat-trap faces of bankers and the brassy laughter of stockbrokers...”

We’re being had.

[Post edited 3 Feb 2019 18:14]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Nissan Sunderland on 14:24 - Feb 4 with 1588 viewsBatterseajack

Nissan Sunderland on 13:38 - Feb 4 by westside

tweet from Leave Eu

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/hard-brexiteer-tweet-nissan-x-13950512

Nissan Sunderland on 14:38 - Feb 4 with 1576 viewsHighjack

Nissan Sunderland on 10:53 - Feb 4 by union_jack

You answered your own question in the same paragraph.

Large scale businesses bring lots of jobs. Makes headlines. Politicians look good.

I worked for the WDA in the days and it was committed to SMEs as well as large companies. When WAG took over, SMEs didn’t get a look in because politicians couldn’t make hay out of it. Absolutely stank in my opinion. Horrible organisation headed up by some equally horrible people.

It is utterly obscene for our government to be handing out millions of pounds of taxpayers money to companies that have profits in the billions.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Nissan Sunderland on 14:43 - Feb 4 with 1573 viewslonglostjack

Nissan Sunderland on 14:38 - Feb 4 by Highjack

It is utterly obscene for our government to be handing out millions of pounds of taxpayers money to companies that have profits in the billions.

To add that SME’s are also more likely to pay corporation tax aren’t able to take advantage of international tax avoidance planning.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Nissan Sunderland on 14:54 - Feb 4 with 1567 viewsunion_jack

Nissan Sunderland on 14:38 - Feb 4 by Highjack

As I said, it’s for political gain.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Nissan Sunderland on 15:13 - Feb 4 with 1559 viewsHighjack

Nissan Sunderland on 14:54 - Feb 4 by union_jack

As I said, it’s for political gain.

I think the tide is starting to turn on that one. A huge part of the rise in popularity of the likes of trump, le pen, the five star lot in Italy and even brexit in a lot of ways is much to do with them insisting they put their own country first. Whether or not they actually do it is a matter for debate. But that idea is a strong one. It’s ok to put your own people first, it’s ok to champion your own countries business and manufacturers. Governments should be doing this first and foremost.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Nissan Sunderland on 15:24 - Feb 4 with 1553 viewsBatterseajack

Nissan Sunderland on 10:36 - Feb 4 by Highjack

Yes and by moving out of the U.K. it’s going to be more difficult to sell their shitty little hatchbacks here, and if there’s one thing Britain loves to buy its shitty little hatchbacks.

On another note which is vaguely related to the OP’s, how the hell did we get to the stage where these companies feel so entitled as to think they are doing us a favour by being here? That they can demand certain concessions and grants and special favours off our government that smaller businesses can’t get? That they can use the threat of jobs and up and leave as a blackmail tool if they don’t get exactly what they want? They make countless billions for their shareholders while their workers are on poor pay with the sword of Damocles constantly dangling over them.

It’s just utterly shit.

"while their workers are on poor pay"

Not sure where you got that idea from, there are some good salaries to be has at Nissan if your a skilled worker.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/Nissan-Sunderland-Salaries-EI_IE3535.0,6_IL.7
Nissan Sunderland on 15:29 - Feb 4 with 1547 viewscontroversial_jack

Nissan Sunderland on 15:13 - Feb 4 by Highjack

I think the tide is starting to turn on that one. A huge part of the rise in popularity of the likes of trump, le pen, the five star lot in Italy and even brexit in a lot of ways is much to do with them insisting they put their own country first. Whether or not they actually do it is a matter for debate. But that idea is a strong one. It’s ok to put your own people first, it’s ok to champion your own countries business and manufacturers. Governments should be doing this first and foremost.

It's called nationalism, and remember where that took Europe twice during the last century.
Nissan Sunderland on 15:55 - Feb 4 with 1532 viewsHighjack

Nissan Sunderland on 15:29 - Feb 4 by controversial_jack

It's called nationalism, and remember where that took Europe twice during the last century.

Thanks Godwin but you can’t seriously compare championing the growth of British companies over the interests of predatory carnivorous multinationals to worldwide annihilation.

Also as a side note it could be argued that the First World War was largely caused by two big blocks of countries coming together in a mutual protection pact followed by a flashpoint event that triggered a chain reaction. Pretty much the opposite of nationalism.

Login to get fewer ads

Nissan Sunderland on 16:40 - Feb 4 with 1504 viewssherpajacob

Greg Clarke's Nissan letter.

"The Government fully recognises the significance of the EU market to your presence in Sunderland. It will be a critical priority of our negotiation to support UK car manufacturers and ensure that their ability to export to and from the EU is not adversely affected by the UK's future relationship with the EU. We will set our ambitions high and vigorously pursue continued access to the European market as an objective in future negotiations. "

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Nissan Sunderland on 16:46 - Feb 4 with 1498 viewsLeonWasGod

Nissan Sunderland on 16:40 - Feb 4 by sherpajacob

"The Government fully recognises the significance of the EU market to your presence in Sunderland. It will be a critical priority of our negotiation to support UK car manufacturers and ensure that their ability to export to and from the EU is not adversely affected by the UK's future relationship with the EU. We will set our ambitions high and vigorously pursue continued access to the European market as an objective in future negotiations. "

Expanding on that, the text of the letter is in the FT (It's behind a paywall, but this link might work - https://on.ft.com/2Gl9QcE)

In short, what you said about the government guaranteeing to support the car industry by making them a critical part of the Brexit negotiations. And the 'incentive' for them to commit to expanding production was a cool £80m.
Nissan Sunderland on 16:59 - Feb 4 with 1488 viewssherpajacob

Nissan Sunderland on 16:46 - Feb 4 by LeonWasGod

Expanding on that, the text of the letter is in the FT (It's behind a paywall, but this link might work - https://on.ft.com/2Gl9QcE)

In short, what you said about the government guaranteeing to support the car industry by making them a critical part of the Brexit negotiations. And the 'incentive' for them to commit to expanding production was a cool £80m.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/30/philip-hammond-nissan-treasury-

yet the chancellor had said there were no new liabilities to the government contained in the Nissan letter.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Nissan Sunderland on 18:24 - Feb 4 with 1465 viewsdeanscfc

Just lol at anyone who tries to blame remainers for this f*cking mess. 'We told you so' isn't a very adult thing to say but in this case I will. Turkeys voted for Christmas and this is all set to get worse.

Comes to something when 3 years later not one leaver anywhere is able to even just publish a detailed and workable plan for how brexit works without making us blatantly worse off (and matching the 2016 lies it was sold on). And you know...maybe i should but i don't have much sympathy for those negatively affected by brexit...they voted to remove my rights in 30 countries of my own continent, so as Darren would say on here..."f*ckem". UK the laughing stock of the world at the moment.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2019 20:10]
Nissan Sunderland on 20:43 - Feb 4 with 1382 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 16:40 - Feb 4 by sherpajacob

That was before the EU-Japan FTA. It’s utterly meaningless, Sherp.

Nissan Sunderland on 20:46 - Feb 4 with 1372 viewsexiledclaseboy

Nissan Sunderland on 20:43 - Feb 4 by Lohengrin

That was before the EU-Japan FTA. It’s utterly meaningless, Sherp.

They’ve been working on the EU/Japan agreement for years and it came into force the other day. It’s not as if no one knew it was coming or it took anyone by surprise.

Poll: Tory leader

Nissan Sunderland on 20:47 - Feb 4 with 1371 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 18:24 - Feb 4 by deanscfc

Just lol at anyone who tries to blame remainers for this f*cking mess. 'We told you so' isn't a very adult thing to say but in this case I will. Turkeys voted for Christmas and this is all set to get worse.

Comes to something when 3 years later not one leaver anywhere is able to even just publish a detailed and workable plan for how brexit works without making us blatantly worse off (and matching the 2016 lies it was sold on). And you know...maybe i should but i don't have much sympathy for those negatively affected by brexit...they voted to remove my rights in 30 countries of my own continent, so as Darren would say on here..."f*ckem". UK the laughing stock of the world at the moment.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2019 20:10]

Best you emigrate, son. You’re just in the way. Take the cross-dressing mute Mart6 with you.

Ta ra

Nissan Sunderland on 20:54 - Feb 4 with 1360 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 20:46 - Feb 4 by exiledclaseboy

They’ve been working on the EU/Japan agreement for years and it came into force the other day. It’s not as if no one knew it was coming or it took anyone by surprise.

That combined with fall of the Warsaw Pact has rendered the original treaty of 1952 and all subsequent compacts utterly moribund.

I stand with Marine for the working people of Europe against the money power.

Allez...

Nissan Sunderland on 21:01 - Feb 4 with 1345 viewsLohengrin

Hello Mart6. I know EXACTLY what you are....

Nissan Sunderland on 21:12 - Feb 4 with 1331 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 21:13 - Feb 4 with 1330 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 21:14 - Feb 4 with 1327 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 21:15 - Feb 4 with 1326 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 21:27 - Feb 4 with 1313 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 22:02 - Feb 4 with 1264 viewsdeanscfc

Nissan Sunderland on 20:47 - Feb 4 by Lohengrin

Best you emigrate, son. You’re just in the way. Take the cross-dressing mute Mart6 with you.

Ta ra

About as much sense as i would expect from someone who helped get us into this mess.
Nissan Sunderland on 22:05 - Feb 4 with 1262 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 22:02 - Feb 4 by deanscfc

About as much sense as i would expect from someone who helped get us into this mess.

If you’ve nothing to offer but just grizzle with your hand out what use are you going to be?

Help Mart pack. Bring a big case, he’ll have frocks.

Nissan Sunderland on 22:11 - Feb 4 with 1249 viewsdeanscfc

Nissan Sunderland on 22:05 - Feb 4 by Lohengrin

If you’ve nothing to offer but just grizzle with your hand out what use are you going to be?

Help Mart pack. Bring a big case, he’ll have frocks.

You don't really talk much sense. Own the sh*t that you helped to create. Remainers warned that this investment would be pulled back in 2016.. it was so f'n obvious. Yet leavers laughed it off as 'project fear'. In fact there's a great tweet by the official leave.eu account saying it would never happen...want me to post it or shall we stop there?

The £166 billion of assets moved last week by Barclays out of the to Dublin was also just brilliant wasn't it... that's 30 years worth of net EU contributions gone in seconds.

And still...ask leavers where their fully published brexit plan is and they have sweet FA.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024