Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Parkway Station 20:24 - Feb 6 with 12112 viewsPrivate_Partz

Cairns and a few 'transport experts' from Cardiff are pushing for a new Super Parkway station to be built at Felindre.
On the face of it some transport infastructure development in this area is rare, fine and dandy.
Unfortunately this will be situated on the branch line that bypasses Swansea and would effectively turn Neath and Swansea High Street stations into branch line halts.
Bristol Parkway links to the City Centre. The spanking new Cardiff Parkway version will do the same.
Not so with this Parkway as you would have to change at Neath (if the train stopped there) to get to Swansea HS.
This is reflected in the potential naming of the station which WOL call 'West Wales Parkway'.
Looks to me like a plan to marginalise Swansea further and turn the City and West Wales into commuter suburbs of Cardiff.
The Swansea Council Leader appears to be aware of this but it something James, Hedges and the rest of us should keep an eye on.
Any developments such as this should link into proposed Swansea Metro, if it ever gets off the ground
[Post edited 6 Feb 2019 20:26]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

New Parkway Station on 21:20 - Feb 6 with 7526 viewsjack2jack

What possible use is a station at Felindre, the only reason I can think of is that it will be part of the LDP for that area and the proposed extension to Morriston Hospital, its certainly nothing to do with the white elephant that is the business centre or whatever the hell it is,will be interesting to see what develops.
New Parkway Station on 21:39 - Feb 6 with 7489 viewsPrivate_Partz

New Parkway Station on 21:20 - Feb 6 by jack2jack

What possible use is a station at Felindre, the only reason I can think of is that it will be part of the LDP for that area and the proposed extension to Morriston Hospital, its certainly nothing to do with the white elephant that is the business centre or whatever the hell it is,will be interesting to see what develops.

WOL was saying it would speed up West Wales to Cardiff and London by avoiding our 'dog leg' station.
Apart from the few local trains, the only main one is the Milford Haven to Manchester Piccadilly. It would have to justify running the London lines down there as well. I believe they used to do that.
It could end up with us having fewer Paddington trains and having to travel to Felinfre to pick up the others.
As I said, it would be fine if the Swansea Metro came to fruition but at 65 I doubt if I will see it happen.
In the meantime Swansea could get a further shafting.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

New Parkway Station on 21:44 - Feb 6 with 7469 viewsJonathans_coat

New Parkway Station on 21:39 - Feb 6 by Private_Partz

WOL was saying it would speed up West Wales to Cardiff and London by avoiding our 'dog leg' station.
Apart from the few local trains, the only main one is the Milford Haven to Manchester Piccadilly. It would have to justify running the London lines down there as well. I believe they used to do that.
It could end up with us having fewer Paddington trains and having to travel to Felinfre to pick up the others.
As I said, it would be fine if the Swansea Metro came to fruition but at 65 I doubt if I will see it happen.
In the meantime Swansea could get a further shafting.

Agreed. This makes sense ONLY with a “metro” for the Swansea area, which would vastly increase the number of trains and transport linkages. Without it, it just takes services away from Wales’s second largest population centre, which would be ridiculous.
New Parkway Station on 21:53 - Feb 6 with 7438 viewsjackharris

The main line track should follow Fabian Way and across a viaduct over the Tawe and Parc Tawe into High Street Station. Making it a two-way station. Or open a new station down by SA1.

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

New Parkway Station on 21:57 - Feb 6 with 7424 viewsUxbridge

Clydach boy wants Clydach mainline Station.

Bonkers idea in the way he's presented it. A parkway station makes sense in some senses but only to supplement the main one from Swansea.

Far more efficient would be to move Swansea mainline down to the marina and avoid the whole Neath branch, preferably not stopping anywhere apart from maybe one stop in PT/Bridgend before going east.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

New Parkway Station on 22:02 - Feb 6 with 7404 viewsjack2jack

New Parkway Station on 21:57 - Feb 6 by Uxbridge

Clydach boy wants Clydach mainline Station.

Bonkers idea in the way he's presented it. A parkway station makes sense in some senses but only to supplement the main one from Swansea.

Far more efficient would be to move Swansea mainline down to the marina and avoid the whole Neath branch, preferably not stopping anywhere apart from maybe one stop in PT/Bridgend before going east.

You mean where Victoria Station used to be.
New Parkway Station on 22:12 - Feb 6 with 7386 viewsUxbridge

New Parkway Station on 22:02 - Feb 6 by jack2jack

You mean where Victoria Station used to be.

Innit

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

New Parkway Station on 22:27 - Feb 6 with 7364 viewsJonathans_coat

The lack of movement on a Swansea metro is noteworthy. Would be far less work, and far cheaper than the Cardiff one. 90+% of the track is already in place, and would just need stations and obviously small commuter trains to service them.

The Swansea District Line alone runs through Pontlliw, Tircoed, Felindre, llangefelach, Morriston, Tregof village, Coed Darcy, Jersey Marine then down past Amazon and the Bay Campus, then Port Tennant and SA1. But it has no stations on it and isn’t used for passenger services! There are numerous large housing developments growing every year along this route, so the roads in these areas are only going to get busier and more congested.

And it’s the same scenario with the Neath Valley lines that are only used for freight. Can’t see it happening anytime soon with the WAG spending £billions on the Cardiff Metro. Not even if the Swansea version would only be a fraction of the price and effort.
Login to get fewer ads

New Parkway Station on 08:34 - Feb 7 with 7197 viewsPrivate_Partz

New Parkway Station on 22:27 - Feb 6 by Jonathans_coat

The lack of movement on a Swansea metro is noteworthy. Would be far less work, and far cheaper than the Cardiff one. 90+% of the track is already in place, and would just need stations and obviously small commuter trains to service them.

The Swansea District Line alone runs through Pontlliw, Tircoed, Felindre, llangefelach, Morriston, Tregof village, Coed Darcy, Jersey Marine then down past Amazon and the Bay Campus, then Port Tennant and SA1. But it has no stations on it and isn’t used for passenger services! There are numerous large housing developments growing every year along this route, so the roads in these areas are only going to get busier and more congested.

And it’s the same scenario with the Neath Valley lines that are only used for freight. Can’t see it happening anytime soon with the WAG spending £billions on the Cardiff Metro. Not even if the Swansea version would only be a fraction of the price and effort.

Very informative JC.
I recall a large rail infastructure where the Freightliners Depot used to be near Baldwins Bridge.
It wouldn't be impossible to link this up to High Street to make it a 'through' Station.
This combined with the rail links you have outlined would improve transport in this area considerably. Partucularly when combined with the full Metro plans.
Dream on though. Only Cardiff is a priority. The rest of Wales can do one.

New Parkway Station on 13:57 - Feb 7 with 7047 viewsJonathans_coat

New Parkway Station on 08:34 - Feb 7 by Private_Partz

Very informative JC.
I recall a large rail infastructure where the Freightliners Depot used to be near Baldwins Bridge.
It wouldn't be impossible to link this up to High Street to make it a 'through' Station.
This combined with the rail links you have outlined would improve transport in this area considerably. Partucularly when combined with the full Metro plans.
Dream on though. Only Cardiff is a priority. The rest of Wales can do one.

We can’t even get the easy/cheap “quick wins” of reopening Landore and Cockett station done, so our chances of further investment is nearly zero. Nobody can convince me this isn’t linked to “project Cardiff” that seems to suck up all infrastructure investment in Wales. The gap is ever widening in my opinion.
New Parkway Station on 15:41 - Feb 7 with 6984 viewsowainglyndwr

Any new transport links down here would be welcome, the swansea valley could do with a rail or metro link.
But I would of thought Llandarcy would of been an ideal location or even ynysforgan J45.
But Still welcome
New Parkway Station on 19:58 - Feb 7 with 6870 viewsPrivate_Partz

New Parkway Station on 13:57 - Feb 7 by Jonathans_coat

We can’t even get the easy/cheap “quick wins” of reopening Landore and Cockett station done, so our chances of further investment is nearly zero. Nobody can convince me this isn’t linked to “project Cardiff” that seems to suck up all infrastructure investment in Wales. The gap is ever widening in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly.

New Parkway Station on 20:02 - Feb 7 with 6865 viewsPrivate_Partz

New Parkway Station on 15:41 - Feb 7 by owainglyndwr

Any new transport links down here would be welcome, the swansea valley could do with a rail or metro link.
But I would of thought Llandarcy would of been an ideal location or even ynysforgan J45.
But Still welcome

I could be wrong but I think the Swansea Valley is part of the Metro Project although I doubt whether it will get beyond a tube station type map.
I agree on transport infrastructure investment in this area but if it is only to benefit Project Cardiff as JC calls it then I am out.

New Parkway Station on 20:49 - Feb 7 with 6833 viewsJonathans_coat

New Parkway Station on 20:02 - Feb 7 by Private_Partz

I could be wrong but I think the Swansea Valley is part of the Metro Project although I doubt whether it will get beyond a tube station type map.
I agree on transport infrastructure investment in this area but if it is only to benefit Project Cardiff as JC calls it then I am out.

Here’s the white paper if you have the time and inclination to read it (warning, it’s 73 pages long).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/west-wales-parkway-station-a-scoping-

I’m highly sceptical of this particular plan, as it seems to be an alternative to the Swansea Bay Metro proposal, rather than a complement to it. The main aim of the scheme seems to be to speed up rail journeys between Carmarthenshire and Cardif by specifically bypassing Swansea and Neath.

The conclusions reached in the white paper seem to be based on highly dubious assumptions and suspiciously all the authors are professors from Cardiff University or the University of South Wales (based in Cardiff and Newport). Maybe thier lack of local knowledge has led to some of thier doubtful claims.

The worst bit for me is the claim that Swansea city centre can be better served by increased bus services from a Parkway station in Felindre, than from a direct rail link! They also suggest these busses will reduce congestion on the roads! Are they going to be flying busses are they?

I’m all for using the District Line for passenger services, but I’m not sure how taking both Swansea and Neath off the main line would benefit them as is suggested in the white paper.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 20:51]
New Parkway Station on 21:10 - Feb 7 with 6803 viewsdickythorpe

Bring back Cockett station! Used to go to Bristol zoo I'm led to believe in the 1940's
New Parkway Station on 22:46 - Feb 7 with 6737 viewsPrivate_Partz

New Parkway Station on 20:49 - Feb 7 by Jonathans_coat

Here’s the white paper if you have the time and inclination to read it (warning, it’s 73 pages long).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/west-wales-parkway-station-a-scoping-

I’m highly sceptical of this particular plan, as it seems to be an alternative to the Swansea Bay Metro proposal, rather than a complement to it. The main aim of the scheme seems to be to speed up rail journeys between Carmarthenshire and Cardif by specifically bypassing Swansea and Neath.

The conclusions reached in the white paper seem to be based on highly dubious assumptions and suspiciously all the authors are professors from Cardiff University or the University of South Wales (based in Cardiff and Newport). Maybe thier lack of local knowledge has led to some of thier doubtful claims.

The worst bit for me is the claim that Swansea city centre can be better served by increased bus services from a Parkway station in Felindre, than from a direct rail link! They also suggest these busses will reduce congestion on the roads! Are they going to be flying busses are they?

I’m all for using the District Line for passenger services, but I’m not sure how taking both Swansea and Neath off the main line would benefit them as is suggested in the white paper.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 20:51]

Bloody Hell I didn't realise it had gone this far.
Scoping study? We had one of those for the MTC.
This is Project Cardiff and it would not surprise me if it replaces the Swansea Metro.
I agree on the 'experts' involved. They are always there and that Professor Cole is always at the head of the list. The bloke that says there should be a tram system and a 2bn bypass in Cardiff and Swansea is too small for trams so we should have more buses.
Our local politicians really have to fight against this.
It is no coincidence that most social housing is being built close to the M4 in this area. A train line would supplement this making us a commuter suburb of Cardiff pulling in Carmarhen and West Wales as well.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 22:47]

New Parkway Station on 09:09 - Feb 8 with 6618 viewsowainglyndwr

If it is another assembly venture to benefit Cardiff through fast track transport they can stuff it.
But if it is to benefit the Swansea region with a metro system let's have ASAP
New Parkway Station on 11:47 - Feb 8 with 6540 viewsJonathans_coat

New Parkway Station on 22:46 - Feb 7 by Private_Partz

Bloody Hell I didn't realise it had gone this far.
Scoping study? We had one of those for the MTC.
This is Project Cardiff and it would not surprise me if it replaces the Swansea Metro.
I agree on the 'experts' involved. They are always there and that Professor Cole is always at the head of the list. The bloke that says there should be a tram system and a 2bn bypass in Cardiff and Swansea is too small for trams so we should have more buses.
Our local politicians really have to fight against this.
It is no coincidence that most social housing is being built close to the M4 in this area. A train line would supplement this making us a commuter suburb of Cardiff pulling in Carmarhen and West Wales as well.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 22:47]

A detailed rebuttal here from Prof Mark Barry, who proposed the full Swansea Bay Metro scheme.

https://swalesmetroprof.blog/2019/02/05/a-swansea-bay-parkway-but-where-and-why/

Here’s the abridged version in WOL for those in a hurry.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/swansea-bay-metro-project-n

Great intro to the full report (*below), outlines the main issues with the “Parkway only” plan:-

“There has been a lot discussion of late about a “Swansea Parkway”, perhaps at Felindre near the M4. I’d like to shine some light on that question and perhaps set out briefly, some strategic considerations to help us develop the right solution.

Firstly, what is the problem we are trying to solve?

Is it getting better access to rail services from west of Swansea (from Carmarthen and Pembroke) to the east (Cardiff, Bristol and London)?
Is it about encouraging Swansea commuters out of their cars?
Is it to support local station based economic development?
If we conflate these and perhaps other requirements, we may not get the answer we want.

For example, do we really want to encourage people in their cars from West Wales to drive into Swansea to catch a train? Surely it would be better to capture that demand closer to its source by providing more and faster trains, to serve Carmarthen and points further west. If we want to provide a P&R for Swansea commuters, we would want to have a station that could support services to Swansea High Street, Neath etc. If we want to support economic development, we also need to be mindful of abstraction impacts on existing locations — esp. Swansea High Street and Neath.”

*Excerpt from report by Prof Mark Barry
[Post edited 8 Feb 2019 11:56]
New Parkway Station on 12:18 - Feb 8 with 6521 viewsmajorraglan

They are talking about a new railway station but before they even considering investing in new infrastructure they need to look at the prices. Just priced up a return ticketfrom Carmarthen to Cardiff for us as a family, including a 18 year old and 16 year old both are students and it’s £86. FFS, I can do the same journey in my car and parking for £15 max.
New Parkway Station on 13:00 - Feb 8 with 6495 viewsPrivate_Partz

New Parkway Station on 12:18 - Feb 8 by majorraglan

They are talking about a new railway station but before they even considering investing in new infrastructure they need to look at the prices. Just priced up a return ticketfrom Carmarthen to Cardiff for us as a family, including a 18 year old and 16 year old both are students and it’s £86. FFS, I can do the same journey in my car and parking for £15 max.

wow that is bad. Did you use split ticketing and have you got any Railcards?

New Parkway Station on 13:08 - Feb 8 with 6485 viewsdickythorpe

The trains are so slow from pembs to swansea.
New Parkway Station on 21:15 - Mar 6 with 6221 viewsowainglyndwr

Unless the new parkway station benefits the Swansea Bay region also Neath and Swansea Valleys & West , we should dig our feet in to prevent it.
We are not here to benefit Cardiff and the Wags
New Parkway Station on 09:59 - Jun 15 with 5691 viewsJonathans_coat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48615464

Another proposal here for an express service between Cardiff and London.

Would stop at Cardiff Central, the new Cardiff parkway, Newport and Severn Tunnel junction in Wales, then just Bristol parkway and Paddington in England. Only serves the Cardiff area with no care for anything further west.

If you read the article, it’s being enthusiastically championed by our “friend” Prof Stuart Cole! Everything he promotes is solely for the benefit of Cardiff and sod the rest of us. That he seems to have the WAG’s ear is no surprise.
New Parkway Station on 10:14 - Jun 15 with 5659 viewsdickythorpe

After Swansea most trains down to Pembs are just 2 carriages ....it puts anyone who has a car off from using them.
Open up St.Clears station and market the railways properly.
This then would possibly lower the congestion from Carmarthen up during rush hour.
But then the WAG ain't interested after Cardiff are they?
New Parkway Station on 10:51 - Jun 15 with 5603 viewsAguycalledJack

New Parkway Station on 13:00 - Feb 8 by Private_Partz

wow that is bad. Did you use split ticketing and have you got any Railcards?

Whenever I have to go up to cardiff from Carmarthen, I always go by car. Train prices are ridiculous.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2019 10:52]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024