Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mumbles Train 15:42 - Feb 8 with 2202 viewsThrasher6

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/swansea-life-more-50-years-15789984

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Mumbles Train on 18:03 - Feb 8 with 2112 viewsMuteswan

👍 great to see again. Memories of when I was a kid.
Someone thought it would be a good idea to get rid of it .🙄
Mumbles Train on 18:26 - Feb 8 with 2083 viewsjohnlangy

Mumbles Train on 18:03 - Feb 8 by Muteswan

👍 great to see again. Memories of when I was a kid.
Someone thought it would be a good idea to get rid of it .🙄

The council were blackmailed into getting rid of it by United Welsh (or whatever the bus company name was at the time).
Mumbles Train on 18:28 - Feb 8 with 2074 viewsAnotherJohn

Went in it as a child - it would be a great attraction today.
Mumbles Train on 18:29 - Feb 8 with 2072 viewsjack2jack

Mumbles Train on 18:26 - Feb 8 by johnlangy

The council were blackmailed into getting rid of it by United Welsh (or whatever the bus company name was at the time).

Surely not!
Mumbles Train on 20:57 - Feb 8 with 1979 viewsAguycalledJack

My grandfather was a conductor on it.
Mumbles Train on 21:08 - Feb 8 with 1955 viewsjack2jack

When I see clips like this, and thanks to the OP for that,it amazes me why it was ever taken away,very, very short-sighted.And I've said it here before, one of the worst decisions ever taken by anyone in the history of Swansea.
An Integrated transport system, well before any transportation smart arse with an ology thought of the idea and said I know what we need is is a method of linking all public transport .
FFS.
Mumbles Train on 06:54 - Feb 9 with 1826 viewsKilkennyjack

Mumbles Train on 21:08 - Feb 8 by jack2jack

When I see clips like this, and thanks to the OP for that,it amazes me why it was ever taken away,very, very short-sighted.And I've said it here before, one of the worst decisions ever taken by anyone in the history of Swansea.
An Integrated transport system, well before any transportation smart arse with an ology thought of the idea and said I know what we need is is a method of linking all public transport .
FFS.

Great post.

Reintroduce it immediately and name it after Ivor.
Job done.

Beware of the Risen People

Mumbles Train on 07:39 - Feb 9 with 1816 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Mumbles Train on 20:57 - Feb 8 by AguycalledJack

My grandfather was a conductor on it.

So was my gran 😁

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Mumbles Train on 08:19 - Feb 9 with 1791 viewstheloneranger

South Wales Transport

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Mumbles Train on 09:30 - Feb 9 with 1750 viewsWarwickHunt

Mumbles Train on 06:54 - Feb 9 by Kilkennyjack

Great post.

Job done.

That’s the engine sorted, what about the rest of it?

Seemed like the whole of Swansea came out for its last journey. An act of monumental stupidity to close it down.
Mumbles Train on 10:29 - Feb 9 with 1717 viewsWhiterockin

Blackmail or backhander.
Mumbles Train on 10:55 - Feb 9 with 1695 viewsdickythorpe

My late grandpa used to say Hitler did damage but the "corporation" did far worse.
Mumbles Train on 16:26 - Feb 9 with 1607 viewshowenjack

Mumbles Train on 06:54 - Feb 9 by Kilkennyjack

Great post.

Job done.

Great idea - but name it Ivor Allchurch the engine
Would be a fantastic asset if it was reintroduced shame it was ever allowed to dissappear.
Mumbles Train on 18:52 - Feb 9 with 1537 viewstheloneranger

They should have kept the bendy buses and driven them on the promenade.

Swansea Council ... Cheap as Chips

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Mumbles Train on 09:51 - Feb 11 with 1373 viewsPrivate_Partz

Mumbles Train on 10:55 - Feb 9 by dickythorpe

My late grandpa used to say Hitler did damage but the "corporation" did far worse.

No the council did not help but the bombing tore the heart out of the town.
We should have built it back on its original footprint as they did with many bombed out centres in Europe. Instead we built a cheap modern structure in haste after been left for 13 years after the war with nothing.
Back to the train.....Oystermouth / Mumbles Road is one of the busiest urban roadways in Europe yet we closed a tram line running alongside it.

The good news is it could be reopened and extended as part of the Swansea Metro.

It is possible. If a town like Blackpool can extend theirs up to a spanking new railway station then why not us with the Swansea Bid money behind it.
Unfortunately I fear yet another artist's impressiom. This time in the form of a London Tube map.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Mumbles Train on 10:17 - Feb 11 with 1356 viewsowainglyndwr

Mumbles Train on 09:51 - Feb 11 by Private_Partz

No the council did not help but the bombing tore the heart out of the town.
We should have built it back on its original footprint as they did with many bombed out centres in Europe. Instead we built a cheap modern structure in haste after been left for 13 years after the war with nothing.
Back to the train.....Oystermouth / Mumbles Road is one of the busiest urban roadways in Europe yet we closed a tram line running alongside it.

The good news is it could be reopened and extended as part of the Swansea Metro.

It is possible. If a town like Blackpool can extend theirs up to a spanking new railway station then why not us with the Swansea Bid money behind it.
Unfortunately I fear yet another artist's impressiom. This time in the form of a London Tube map.

It would be a fabulous visitors attraction if they could get investment to bring it back especially if the cabke car to Kilvey hill also the Lagoon and new parkway hub go ahead.
Bring back the Mumbles train.
Mumbles Train on 11:00 - Feb 11 with 1332 viewsPrivate_Partz

Mumbles Train on 10:17 - Feb 11 by owainglyndwr

It would be a fabulous visitors attraction if they could get investment to bring it back especially if the cabke car to Kilvey hill also the Lagoon and new parkway hub go ahead.
Bring back the Mumbles train.

Agree with most of that but check out the Parkway on the other thread.
There is little to benefit in that one.... unless it is incorporated into the Metro.
As a stand alone it offers no benefits to Swansea and Neath and turns us into commuter suburbs for Cardiff.
Cairns and WAG are behind it. Extreme caution advised.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024