Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Average possession table 19:00 - Feb 9 with 5533 viewsBumblyone

Team. Average possession

Swansea City. 53.76%
Brentford. 53.68%
Leeds. 52.68%
WBA. 52.54%
Norwich. 51.33%
Derby. 51.07%
Average possession table on 20:36 - Feb 9 with 1649 viewsAndy1300

Average possession table on 19:46 - Feb 9 by Gaz_M

And teams with the most possession in average win far more games......

Why are we not top of the league then?

We are not even in the play-offs

Number 1 team in Wales

Average possession table on 20:50 - Feb 9 with 1608 viewsGaz_M

Average possession table on 20:36 - Feb 9 by Andy1300

Why are we not top of the league then?

We are not even in the play-offs

Because our personnel isn't good enough.
Average possession table on 21:38 - Feb 9 with 1547 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Average possession table on 20:24 - Feb 9 by Flashberryjack

Possession means f*ck all if you can't penetrate, and we can't, but hey! it's good to be the top of the possession league, will we get anything for that ?

So we didn't "penetrate" 15 times then?
Average possession table on 21:53 - Feb 9 with 1524 viewsLoyal

Average possession table on 19:58 - Feb 9 by Andy1300

True, but we have bossed possession in many games and lost

It's what we do, it happened under Martinez and Laudrup.
It's happening now too, however that's down to Potter who under the current regime, is performing fcking miracles.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Average possession table on 07:40 - Feb 10 with 1433 viewsAndy1300

Average possession table on 21:53 - Feb 9 by Loyal

It's what we do, it happened under Martinez and Laudrup.
It's happening now too, however that's down to Potter who under the current regime, is performing fcking miracles.

Isn’t there another table that we are top of?

Most defeats from winning positions.

Number 1 team in Wales

Average possession table on 07:44 - Feb 10 with 1430 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Average possession table on 19:32 - Feb 9 by Gaz_M

Bizarre post.

Not when you consider his proper team Cardiff did go up with much worse possession stats (than we currently have) last season.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Average possession table on 07:56 - Feb 10 with 1420 viewsItchySphincter

Average possession table on 20:29 - Feb 9 by Dr_Winston

There is more than one way to play possession football. We were a vastly different team under Sousa to under Rodgers to under Laudrup. Ostensibly we played "passing" football, but the style was very different.

For me there's a little too much of the "keeper to defender" stuff that Darran singled out. We're a too slow moving the ball at times. Players look a bit flat footed and too many passes go behind the man. More Clement than Martinez.

But we are a work in progress after many changes in personnel.

Anyone who can’t see this is blind, but, I’d rather keep doing it if it’s the first stage in working back towards something more dynamic. It’s a slow process but Potter has shown that his preference is keep ball and attack, not keep ball and sh!t your pants, ala Clement. He’ll be praying for the likes of Mackay and Asoro to come good.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Average possession table on 08:45 - Feb 10 with 1385 viewsDr_Winston

Average possession table on 07:56 - Feb 10 by ItchySphincter

Anyone who can’t see this is blind, but, I’d rather keep doing it if it’s the first stage in working back towards something more dynamic. It’s a slow process but Potter has shown that his preference is keep ball and attack, not keep ball and sh!t your pants, ala Clement. He’ll be praying for the likes of Mackay and Asoro to come good.

Leaving at least one man on the halfway line when we're defending a corner would be a start.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Average possession table on 08:50 - Feb 10 with 1383 viewsjackal

Possession is fine up to a point, but this back and forth between keeper and defenders is frustrating. We always look a bit shaky when forwards pressurise.
Average possession table on 10:11 - Feb 10 with 1360 viewsGaz_M

Average possession table on 07:40 - Feb 10 by Andy1300

Isn’t there another table that we are top of?

Most defeats from winning positions.

Irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Possession on average means more wins. The more possession, the more goals. On average.

I reckon basing tactics on the law of averages is a reasonable way to judge them. As opposed to anecdotal nonsense and irrelevant posts.
Average possession table on 10:18 - Feb 10 with 1347 viewsmonmouth

Weren’t Cardiff promoted last year with about 3% possession?

I’m happy that we are looking for a more pleasing playing style but to pretend that passing it around in our own half, backwards and sideways, and in front of the opposition with no penetration and no risk will ever bring anything but mediocre results is wrong in my view. Or claiming it is good to watch. And that is what we do for a lot of the time at the moment.

Crisper quicker incisive passing done with pace is what I want to see. And if that leads to 5 percent less of having the ball, I’ll live with it.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2019 10:20]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Average possession table on 10:19 - Feb 10 with 1343 viewsItchySphincter

Average possession table on 08:45 - Feb 10 by Dr_Winston

Leaving at least one man on the halfway line when we're defending a corner would be a start.

Weird one init.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Average possession table on 10:32 - Feb 10 with 1328 viewsGaz_M

Average possession table on 10:18 - Feb 10 by monmouth

Weren’t Cardiff promoted last year with about 3% possession?

I’m happy that we are looking for a more pleasing playing style but to pretend that passing it around in our own half, backwards and sideways, and in front of the opposition with no penetration and no risk will ever bring anything but mediocre results is wrong in my view. Or claiming it is good to watch. And that is what we do for a lot of the time at the moment.

Crisper quicker incisive passing done with pace is what I want to see. And if that leads to 5 percent less of having the ball, I’ll live with it.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2019 10:20]

And is also what we did under Rodgers. The best manager we had. Retention of possession allows the players to recover whilst not conceding possession.

It also provides a team a better chance of winning, on average, of possession is higher.
Average possession table on 10:41 - Feb 10 with 1322 viewsjasper_T

We're never going to be a successful "bang it long and early" team. Playing around in defence may be risky but it draws teams out (usually, see Birmingham for an example of a disciplined sitting deep) creating spaces in midfield or in behind to exploit.

We're far from the finished article but we've got the tools to make it work, and keep developing.
Average possession table on 10:59 - Feb 10 with 1313 viewsMuteswan

Average possession table on 08:50 - Feb 10 by jackal

Possession is fine up to a point, but this back and forth between keeper and defenders is frustrating. We always look a bit shaky when forwards pressurise.

The way I see it is that it’s not possession for the sake of it but moving the opposition around looking for space for our midfield. We’ve not got the physically strongest midfielders, to say the least, in this division, so we have to find a way to play around the opposition. Creating the space for players like Celina and Byers is the best way to provide an attacking option. We have the players we are left with, so we have to play the most effective way. It’s no good launching the ball up to a forward , be it Socks or CBR, as most opposing centre halves would be having a field day. I think Potter is utilising what he’s got exceptionally well. Let’s be honest with ourselves, did any of us expect to rip up this league at the start of the season? Some of the football we play is very good on times and sometimes not so. If we were playing great all the time we wouldn’t be sitting eleventh in the league. We have to trust Potter to play, with the squad we have,in the most efficient way for us.
I do agree about leaving someone up at opposition corners though.What are Dan ,Wayne or Nathan ever going to win in the air ? It takes two of theirs to mark one of ours usually, taking more out of our box and maybe Mulder would actually come and collect a cross! I’m sure that, at least once in the past, we’ve left three of our shorter players up front for opposition corners.
Average possession table on 11:16 - Feb 10 with 1293 viewsDr_Winston

Average possession table on 10:32 - Feb 10 by Gaz_M

And is also what we did under Rodgers. The best manager we had. Retention of possession allows the players to recover whilst not conceding possession.

It also provides a team a better chance of winning, on average, of possession is higher.

Our most successful spell, and the most fun we were to watch, came under Laudrup who largely dismissed Rodger's "possession for possession's sake" mantra. No good having the ball for 65% of the game if you're not going to do anything with it.

Potter's got the benefit of the doubt at the moment because his playing options are somewhat limited, and when he does have a full team to pick from we can be quite attacking. Ultimately I hope he's more Laudrup than Rodgers.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Average possession table on 11:25 - Feb 10 with 1277 viewsGaz_M

Average possession table on 11:16 - Feb 10 by Dr_Winston

Our most successful spell, and the most fun we were to watch, came under Laudrup who largely dismissed Rodger's "possession for possession's sake" mantra. No good having the ball for 65% of the game if you're not going to do anything with it.

Potter's got the benefit of the doubt at the moment because his playing options are somewhat limited, and when he does have a full team to pick from we can be quite attacking. Ultimately I hope he's more Laudrup than Rodgers.

That isn't and wasn't Rodgers' mantra.

We punched well above our weight by keeping the ball. Laudrup benefitted from a better team/personnel than Rodgers and his football was ultimately more volatile in terms of results.

Nice revisionism.
Average possession table on 11:32 - Feb 10 with 1257 viewsDr_Winston

Average possession table on 11:25 - Feb 10 by Gaz_M

That isn't and wasn't Rodgers' mantra.

We punched well above our weight by keeping the ball. Laudrup benefitted from a better team/personnel than Rodgers and his football was ultimately more volatile in terms of results.

Nice revisionism.

Seriously?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jan/22/swansea-city-michael-laudr

Was under the impression that what I said has been common knowledge since the start of the 12/13 season. Apparently not.

Average possession table on 13:46 - Feb 10 with 1205 viewsAndy1300

Average possession table on 08:45 - Feb 10 by Dr_Winston

They kept 2 or 3 there in the second half yesterday.

Why we don't keep Dan James up is beyond me

Number 1 team in Wales

Average possession table on 13:56 - Feb 10 with 1187 viewsAndy1300

Average possession table on 11:16 - Feb 10 by Dr_Winston

We are far more effective going forward with pace than when we take an age with 50 passes around the defenders and midfield.

We allow the opposition to reset themselves, we then go back to the keeper, a couple of times yesterday I thought we would lose the ball in dangerous areas.

As has been said already, Possession is great when you do something with it.

I'm sure we lost a game recently with over 70% possession, fat lot of good that was.

Number 1 team in Wales

Average possession table on 14:00 - Feb 10 with 1179 viewsGaz_M

Average possession table on 11:32 - Feb 10 by Dr_Winston

Seriously?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jan/22/swansea-city-michael-laudr

Was under the impression that what I said has been common knowledge since the start of the 12/13 season. Apparently not.

That's a good article, but has very little relevance to my post or yours.

Thanks for link though. My initial point stands.
Average possession table on 14:14 - Feb 10 with 1161 viewsSwanseaman

"Swansea City. 53.76%
Brentford. 53.68%
Leeds. 52.68%
WBA. 52.54%
Norwich. 51.33%
Derby. 51.07%"

3 of them in the top 4 and derby in 7th

1. Norwich 60

2. Leeds 58

3. Sheff Utd 55

4. West Brom 53

5. Middlesbrough 51

6. Bristol City 50

7. Derby 50

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Average possession table on 14:26 - Feb 10 with 1144 viewsicecoldjack

Average possession table on 19:34 - Feb 9 by Andy1300

Possession doesn't win games, we found that out in the Prem

Points are what matters not possession

What we also found in the premier league is that if we keep the ball it's harder for teams to hurt us, difference being that half of the sides in that league had world class players who take full advantage of little chances, against the bottom half teams we could make it work to our advantage .

The model of playing keep ball was exactly what enabled us to stay up first season, and it's a model that should be complimented once more, which potter is clearly trying to do.

If we hadn't made some really daft mistakes and some tactical blunders we'd be safely in the play off spots now, been a steep learning curve for players and management this season, overall they've done great .
Average possession table on 14:49 - Feb 10 with 1126 viewsAndy1300

Average possession table on 14:26 - Feb 10 by icecoldjack

What we also found in the premier league is that if we keep the ball it's harder for teams to hurt us, difference being that half of the sides in that league had world class players who take full advantage of little chances, against the bottom half teams we could make it work to our advantage .

The model of playing keep ball was exactly what enabled us to stay up first season, and it's a model that should be complimented once more, which potter is clearly trying to do.

If we hadn't made some really daft mistakes and some tactical blunders we'd be safely in the play off spots now, been a steep learning curve for players and management this season, overall they've done great .

Facts...

We may be top of possession league but we are 11th

Teams with more points are above us with lower possession stats

There are 10 teams above us, all with less possession.

Possession doesn't win games, goals do and wins = points

You cannot argue with facts.

In the future people are not going to say that Swansea had the best possession stats in the league, they will remember the teams that got promoted because they won more games and got more points than the rest of the division.

Number 1 team in Wales

Average possession table on 15:22 - Feb 10 with 1108 viewsicecoldjack

Average possession table on 14:49 - Feb 10 by Andy1300

Facts...

We may be top of possession league but we are 11th

Teams with more points are above us with lower possession stats

There are 10 teams above us, all with less possession.

Possession doesn't win games, goals do and wins = points

You cannot argue with facts.

In the future people are not going to say that Swansea had the best possession stats in the league, they will remember the teams that got promoted because they won more games and got more points than the rest of the division.

Not arguing with the facts, just pointing out that a certain system of play will be of benefit to us, as it was before.
If we signed players and not sold them no doubt this system would be bearing more fruit .

You argument however is an old and tired one, it's the same argument people have been having since Roberto took over in L1, like with all things tactics and style of play are only part of the equation .

Players make all the difference, we recently fooked off about 16 of them, get the right players for the right system and it will work.
As mentioned above, teams with high possession stats are in 3 of the top 4 places, the only thing that stops the Swans from being there is the fact we are asset stripping the playing squad and not investing or backing the way potter wants to play.

Nothing wrong with being good at something, it's just finding the right blend at the moment, and of course right investment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024