Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale 18:13 - Feb 16 with 2345 viewsexiledclaseboy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/16/swansea-city-graham-potter-mode

Poll: Tory leader

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 18:16 - Feb 16 with 2333 viewsChief

Fer rang the owners!?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 18:30 - Feb 16 with 2268 viewsdickythorpe

Typical Guardian journalism. What's the cautionary tale then?
Are we unique? This has never happened to any other club then?

Results on the field are the most important thing.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 18:30]
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 18:42 - Feb 16 with 2224 viewsDJack

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 18:30 - Feb 16 by dickythorpe

Typical Guardian journalism. What's the cautionary tale then?
Are we unique? This has never happened to any other club then?

Results on the field are the most important thing.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 18:30]

Of those other clubs how many were classed as model clubs (in the modern era)?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 18:56 - Feb 16 with 2171 viewsdickythorpe

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 18:42 - Feb 16 by DJack

Of those other clubs how many were classed as model clubs (in the modern era)?

Exactly , no mention of why we were a "model club" not that I ever took it seriously as we had a meagre budget when we got to the PL.
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 18:58 - Feb 16 with 2163 viewsexiledclaseboy

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 18:56 - Feb 16 by dickythorpe

Exactly , no mention of why we were a "model club" not that I ever took it seriously as we had a meagre budget when we got to the PL.

Isn’t that why we were a “model club”?

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:04 - Feb 16 with 2122 viewsdickythorpe

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 18:58 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

Isn’t that why we were a “model club”?

Open to interpretation ECB, I thought "model club" was used because we played a passing game not hoof ball , then off the field we weren't daft with the money we splashed out or paid.
It was as if we were the first ever club to have achieved going up to the top level like this.....to be honest it made me cringe as it was like "look at us!"...when in reality as swans supporters we'd never given a flying fúck about any other club's success.

Rant over.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 19:05]
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:07 - Feb 16 with 2105 viewsjasper_T

The only issue I have with the article is when he says "Sixteen senior players have left and only five have arrived. When the summer transfer window closed, Potter was left with one senior central defender after two were sold on deadline day."

Entirely factual and accurate but only half the story. Our senior squad was huge, far beyond what was required. Some of the players who departed weren't at the club in the back end of last season (Amat, Mesa, Baston), or were simply not playing (Rangel, Britton, Bartley).

The "one senior central defender issue" was a special case. No such shortages elsewhere on the pitch, and most of the 17,357 minutes played by players aged 23 and under have been awarded on merit - Roberts over Naughton, Grimes over Carroll. McBurnie is a reliable goalscorer in this division. Dan James started the season not feeling like a part of the squad, and but for Potter's deliberate exclusions of experienced positional rivals Routledge, Dyer and Narsingh, might not have seen any gametime after the league cup game at Palace, but for his obvious ability.

The club spent a lot of time and money to have a strong and successful "non-senior" side with players ready to support the club in the event of relegation (as Huw said numerous times over the years). It's easy to paint a picture of kids being thrown to the wolves by uncaring owners, and no hands available at the pumps on a sinking ship, but that's not what has happened, and it hasn't taken hindsight to realise it, either.

But Stuart James knows all that. He's not written it the way he has by accident. A picture paints a thousand words, but 25 words can also paint a pretty grim picture.
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:09 - Feb 16 with 2093 viewsexiledclaseboy

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:04 - Feb 16 by dickythorpe

Open to interpretation ECB, I thought "model club" was used because we played a passing game not hoof ball , then off the field we weren't daft with the money we splashed out or paid.
It was as if we were the first ever club to have achieved going up to the top level like this.....to be honest it made me cringe as it was like "look at us!"...when in reality as swans supporters we'd never given a flying fúck about any other club's success.

Rant over.

I think the “model club” label was applied for both on and off the pitch reasons. The style of play and the off field management that got us there and kept us there when we didn’t have a pot to piss in. There aren’t many stories like that. And we’ve done it twice. But pretty soon it’ll be back to what many of us are used to. And that’s fine for me, it’s a day out with the boys watching the swans regardless of league status. But it was all so avoidable.

Login to get fewer ads

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:15 - Feb 16 with 2069 viewsmonmouth

Isn't Stuart a fan? I think it's a reasonable shout. We were called a model club often enough and if we'd held to our principles I don't think we'd be in anywhere near so much shit.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:19 - Feb 16 with 2044 viewsdickythorpe

ECB "Avoidable" is exactly the word. That's why I've been annoyed at times this season.
The team we are supporting now is too young to be consistent and physically immature to cope with some of the games.
But I will look back at the 35 +years of supporting this team with great memories regardless of whether it was Premier League or Division 4.
Same goes for the All Whites (who were battered last night) and Glamorgan and Sketty pensioners tip it club.
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:20 - Feb 16 with 2039 viewsDJack

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:04 - Feb 16 by dickythorpe

Rant over.

Not having a go mate but yo've been quite "ranty" lately. Sup.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:22 - Feb 16 with 2020 viewsdickythorpe

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:20 - Feb 16 by DJack

Not having a go mate but yo've been quite "ranty" lately. Sup.

Probably a bit too reactive at times. I'll be calmer once clocks go back next month!
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:25 - Feb 16 with 2008 viewsexiledclaseboy

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:22 - Feb 16 by dickythorpe

Probably a bit too reactive at times. I'll be calmer once clocks go back next month!

Forward ya madman.

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:29 - Feb 16 with 1987 viewsdickythorpe

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:25 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

Forward ya madman.

No wonder I'm always late!
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:31 - Feb 16 with 1979 viewsPentyrchJack

If Fer did phone up the Yanks then he has gone up a notch in my admiration for him. Fair play.

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:44 - Feb 16 with 1934 viewsDr_Winston

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:07 - Feb 16 by jasper_T

The only issue I have with the article is when he says "Sixteen senior players have left and only five have arrived. When the summer transfer window closed, Potter was left with one senior central defender after two were sold on deadline day."

Entirely factual and accurate but only half the story. Our senior squad was huge, far beyond what was required. Some of the players who departed weren't at the club in the back end of last season (Amat, Mesa, Baston), or were simply not playing (Rangel, Britton, Bartley).

The "one senior central defender issue" was a special case. No such shortages elsewhere on the pitch, and most of the 17,357 minutes played by players aged 23 and under have been awarded on merit - Roberts over Naughton, Grimes over Carroll. McBurnie is a reliable goalscorer in this division. Dan James started the season not feeling like a part of the squad, and but for Potter's deliberate exclusions of experienced positional rivals Routledge, Dyer and Narsingh, might not have seen any gametime after the league cup game at Palace, but for his obvious ability.

The club spent a lot of time and money to have a strong and successful "non-senior" side with players ready to support the club in the event of relegation (as Huw said numerous times over the years). It's easy to paint a picture of kids being thrown to the wolves by uncaring owners, and no hands available at the pumps on a sinking ship, but that's not what has happened, and it hasn't taken hindsight to realise it, either.

But Stuart James knows all that. He's not written it the way he has by accident. A picture paints a thousand words, but 25 words can also paint a pretty grim picture.

There's not generally much in depth analysis in what Stuart James writes. Usually he just parrots the most widely held beliefs on sites like this.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:15 - Feb 16 with 1848 views_

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:44 - Feb 16 by Dr_Winston

There's not generally much in depth analysis in what Stuart James writes. Usually he just parrots the most widely held beliefs on sites like this.

Stuart James is an absolute fake and clown.

He plays to the same audience he gets his ideas from, he's got nothing else to offer, certainly not originality.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:21 - Feb 16 with 1829 viewsUxbridge

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 19:44 - Feb 16 by Dr_Winston

Generally the case with a lot of journos. He is pretty much the only one who has pointed out the historic mismanagement though.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:26 - Feb 16 with 1800 viewsvetchonian

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:21 - Feb 16 by Uxbridge

Generally the case with a lot of journos. He is pretty much the only one who has pointed out the historic mismanagement though.

£45m + £25m = £70m.....isn't this the figure which keeps being quoted.?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:35 - Feb 16 with 1767 viewsBillyChong

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:26 - Feb 16 by vetchonian

£45m + £25m = £70m.....isn't this the figure which keeps being quoted.?

“We will be relentless in our determination to continually improve this club, and we have the financial resources to do so” was the dubious claim made by Kaplan and Levien after they became majority shareholders
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:42 - Feb 16 with 1750 viewsDr_Winston

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:21 - Feb 16 by Uxbridge

"Preaching to the choir" I believe the saying goes.

In fairness to him, he's a cut above the WM/EP journalists, who are getting a bit boisterous now but were conspicuous by their absence at the time.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:43 - Feb 16 with 1736 viewsjasper_T

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:35 - Feb 16 by BillyChong

“We will be relentless in our determination to continually improve this club, and we have the financial resources to do so” was the dubious claim made by Kaplan and Levien after they became majority shareholders

They were relentless in their pursuit of bad players, and overspent accordingly. Everything they've said this season indicates an awareness that they've made massive mistakes, and have changed strategy completely as a result (to protect both themselves and the club from further disastrous losses).
How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:46 - Feb 16 with 1715 viewsUxbridge

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:42 - Feb 16 by Dr_Winston

"Preaching to the choir" I believe the saying goes.

In fairness to him, he's a cut above the WM/EP journalists, who are getting a bit boisterous now but were conspicuous by their absence at the time.

I wasn't impressed with their reporting of the Trust statement this week. Both ignored the content about the sellers and focused entirely on one para relating to Levien/Kaplan. It's deeply ingrained and I'm not convinced it's changed in any real way.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:49 - Feb 16 with 1696 viewsDr_Winston

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 20:46 - Feb 16 by Uxbridge

I wasn't impressed with their reporting of the Trust statement this week. Both ignored the content about the sellers and focused entirely on one para relating to Levien/Kaplan. It's deeply ingrained and I'm not convinced it's changed in any real way.

Probably not.

How Swansea City went from model club to desperate cautionary tale on 09:59 - Feb 17 with 1400 viewsGlyn1

The Guardian/Observer papers do seem to be writing more about it than the other national papers.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024