Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Byers 18:25 - Feb 17 with 4633 viewskrunchykarrot

This lad is turning into a proper midfielder, tackles decent in the air and scores now and then. I suggest we keep him in and leave Fer on the bench if he gets fit. Id also like us to give some game time and play Dhanda and Harris where possible.

Build a spine that with a couple of additions and a decent GK we can go for it next year.
George Byers on 10:44 - Feb 18 with 1092 viewsWarwickHunt

Good player. Great prospect.
George Byers on 10:51 - Feb 18 with 1059 viewsLeonWasGod

George Byers on 20:16 - Feb 17 by lifelong

He has a presence about him....I like him.

Agree Lifey, he's got a swagger about him. Doesn't look short of self confidence, which isn't a bad thing at all on a football pitch.
George Byers on 13:03 - Feb 18 with 998 viewsSPboy

George Byers on 19:05 - Feb 17 by jasper_T

Looked like he was told to play there for long stretches to me, to accommodate McBurnie moving off onto the right hand side.

Byers is a Fer or Celina replacement, so we do look unbalanced with him, Bersant and Fulton on the pitch at the same time.

The lad hasn’t even played a handful of games at this level yet. He has however made an impact. We know that he has an eye for goal from his U23 appearances. He may lack a bit of discipline (positional & mental) but the raw talent is there. Potter can coach discipline in to him but having eye for goal is invaluable for any central or advanced midfielder. Something that we have sadly lacked since selling Sigurdsson.

If Fer is staying then for me he starts. Potters challenge will be to make it work with Grimes, Byers, Celina all on the field somewhere. Let Potter work out the balance ( as long as Grimes is not played at left back). With wingers who don’t score or create much we need all of our goal scoring midfielder talent on the field - Not clear where Fulton fits in though he can do a job against the bigger more physical sides in this division
George Byers on 13:37 - Feb 18 with 951 viewsBadlands

George Byers on 13:03 - Feb 18 by SPboy

The lad hasn’t even played a handful of games at this level yet. He has however made an impact. We know that he has an eye for goal from his U23 appearances. He may lack a bit of discipline (positional & mental) but the raw talent is there. Potter can coach discipline in to him but having eye for goal is invaluable for any central or advanced midfielder. Something that we have sadly lacked since selling Sigurdsson.

If Fer is staying then for me he starts. Potters challenge will be to make it work with Grimes, Byers, Celina all on the field somewhere. Let Potter work out the balance ( as long as Grimes is not played at left back). With wingers who don’t score or create much we need all of our goal scoring midfielder talent on the field - Not clear where Fulton fits in though he can do a job against the bigger more physical sides in this division

Byers is not a Fer replacement as he lacks the physical presence.
Byers, Fer, Grimes would be my preferred central midfield trio.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

George Byers on 13:49 - Feb 18 with 936 viewsnantywatcher

George Byers on 18:58 - Feb 17 by LeonWasGod

Ok when we’re on the front foot, but a passenger when we’re not imo. Byers wants to play pretty much on the front foot in very advanced positions and is less inclined to do the dirty work tracking back (edited for clarity). Not having a go at him in particular but that balance in midfield was awful in the first half. He and Fulton (hiding) left Grimes (who was immense today) completely exposed. We’d have coped much better in the first half with someone like Fer alongside Grimes to give another out ball and plug that mahoosive hole in midfield.

Agree with comments about him willing to have a go at goal though - it’s great to see. Not only a good strike on him but a cool head too - lovely finish for his goal today.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2019 14:39]

"He and Fulton (hiding)"
I think you ought to watch the game again and realise what a dumbness comment that is!
George Byers on 13:54 - Feb 18 with 924 viewsBillyChong

George Byers on 18:58 - Feb 17 by LeonWasGod

Ok when we’re on the front foot, but a passenger when we’re not imo. Byers wants to play pretty much on the front foot in very advanced positions and is less inclined to do the dirty work tracking back (edited for clarity). Not having a go at him in particular but that balance in midfield was awful in the first half. He and Fulton (hiding) left Grimes (who was immense today) completely exposed. We’d have coped much better in the first half with someone like Fer alongside Grimes to give another out ball and plug that mahoosive hole in midfield.

Agree with comments about him willing to have a go at goal though - it’s great to see. Not only a good strike on him but a cool head too - lovely finish for his goal today.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2019 14:39]

I agree. He gave up on one occasion whilst chasing a Brentford player into our midfield ‘gap’ in the first half. Bit more desire and work rate and he could be a decent player for us.
George Byers on 14:02 - Feb 18 with 911 viewsjasper_T

He's a natural 10 who can play as an 8, but he's not got the engine to go box to box all day (that was Maric's job in the u23s).
George Byers on 14:23 - Feb 18 with 900 viewsLeonWasGod

George Byers on 13:49 - Feb 18 by nantywatcher

"He and Fulton (hiding)"
I think you ought to watch the game again and realise what a dumbness comment that is!

First half they were from where I was sat. Fulton especially didn't get into the game at all for me in that first half. That's why we kept having those Grimes to Naughton and then back to the CBs/keeper passages of play. There were few options going forward. Very different after the break of course. That's how I saw it anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

George Byers on 14:42 - Feb 18 with 867 viewsploppy

George Byers on 14:23 - Feb 18 by LeonWasGod

First half they were from where I was sat. Fulton especially didn't get into the game at all for me in that first half. That's why we kept having those Grimes to Naughton and then back to the CBs/keeper passages of play. There were few options going forward. Very different after the break of course. That's how I saw it anyway.

Fulton was poor in the first half and is guilty of hiding a lot of the time. He's just not someone who offers himself. His first act of the second half was to pass to ball into touch, and I was thinking here we go again. He improved slightly after that. I like Byers but he was strolling around in the first half and struggling to get back. He's much better we've got the ball - not so good when we haven't (he's not alone there).
George Byers on 15:04 - Feb 18 with 843 viewsA_Fans_Dad

George Byers on 18:31 - Feb 17 by icecoldjack

Scrap first half better 2 nd half, thank God we've finally.found a player that can shoot in and around the box !

Hope he can keep progressing, looks like he can develop well if there are good players around him .

As we have said about Ollie & Dan, Byers has been doing this for U23s for a couple of years, so no real surprise.
He also has a very good dead ball as well.
George Byers on 17:27 - Feb 18 with 752 viewskrunchykarrot

Most people agree that he needs the game time, my point really is building for the future by playing all of our footballing kids where we can.

This might cost us this year but in the long term benefit us as i cant see any other way of doing it.

Warnock or Allardyce type teams will get you promoted for a big outlay then another £50 million playing snakes and ladders.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024