Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. 18:28 - Feb 17 with 20777 viewsTailGunner

USA plan - Within 18 months if we don't go up.
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 18:50 - Feb 27 with 3201 viewsBlue_Blood

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 17:47 - Feb 27 by jasper_T

Again, downgrading the academy doesn't kill the "golden goose". Category Two/Three academies lay eggs, and we've needed to spend money on other academy geese to lay what we're using right now.

Potter's not involved in the academy enough for it to be a "final straw", that's ridiculous. He's first team head coach. He may well be happier having some money to buy cheap young players to integrate them straight into his first team setup, as he did in Sweden (and has been doing here given the absences from u23s duty of most of his fringe players like Dhanda and Asoro).

The prospect of having to sell players every season to fund an academy that would suddenly be under enormous pressure to create first team replacements every year doesn't sound nearly as exciting to me as it does to others, apparently. Particularly as I don't see another DJ or McBurnie in the pro or scholar ranks right now, and it's unlikely we splash the cash to bring one in (Oli cost almost as much as McKay). And while we've got some good centrebacks coming through none are the modern ball-playing types that might theoretically attract big clubs one day like Rodon might.

Youth development is always a gamble, there are no guarantees regardless of how much you spend, or how good your coaching/facilities are. That's why for the big clubs it's a numbers game, with hundreds of kids falling by the wayside each year. We're incredibly unlikely to have another year like this one in terms of bringing through talent. This season is the result of 3/4 years of investment and work having the opportunity to all pay off at once. The flow will be more of a trickle from here on (unless by some miracle we go up and then the stopper goes back in again) because we won't have another 15 player exodus making room, and we don't have a crop aged 20-22 ready to step up.

It's about maximising the chances of bringing kids through, and speaking as a Cardiff fan I believe cat 1 is by far the best opportunity to do that, especially as a championship club for reasons I've already stated.

I've seen some lads I've believed to have good potential just fade away needlessly like Tommy O'Sullivan for example. Another lad currently on the books is Sion Spence. He was tipped for big things but he's now 18 and he's being tested against the likes of 16 year olds for Colchester.

I know that was partly down to mismanagement and the lack of a pathway but playing against the best youngsters in the country week in week out would have certainly enhanced their development.

You are certainly right with regards to the lack of guarantees with youth development but I think the current model of bringing 1 in a 100 kids through has to be challenged especially in the championship where revenue is so much less than in the premier league.

In other countries the success rate is far far higher than it is over here. Barcelona's success has been incredible, as has Bibao, Sociedad, Rayo Vallecano and most other clubs in Spain. This success is echoed right through Europe. Now I don't expect you to produce the results like La Masia but then again don't expect you to win the champions league!

I don't propose you sell on player every year from your academy but if you do eventually sell say Dan James for 15 million them the academy has justified itself for 5 years.

In other words you have to ask the question, is the academy supporting itself?

And at the moment the answer would have to be yes.
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 19:22 - Feb 27 with 3157 viewsjasper_T

Spence was the next big thing when City came and poached Matondo, wasn't he?
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 21:17 - Feb 27 with 3099 viewsKilkennyjack

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 18:50 - Feb 27 by Blue_Blood

It's about maximising the chances of bringing kids through, and speaking as a Cardiff fan I believe cat 1 is by far the best opportunity to do that, especially as a championship club for reasons I've already stated.

I've seen some lads I've believed to have good potential just fade away needlessly like Tommy O'Sullivan for example. Another lad currently on the books is Sion Spence. He was tipped for big things but he's now 18 and he's being tested against the likes of 16 year olds for Colchester.

I know that was partly down to mismanagement and the lack of a pathway but playing against the best youngsters in the country week in week out would have certainly enhanced their development.

You are certainly right with regards to the lack of guarantees with youth development but I think the current model of bringing 1 in a 100 kids through has to be challenged especially in the championship where revenue is so much less than in the premier league.

In other countries the success rate is far far higher than it is over here. Barcelona's success has been incredible, as has Bibao, Sociedad, Rayo Vallecano and most other clubs in Spain. This success is echoed right through Europe. Now I don't expect you to produce the results like La Masia but then again don't expect you to win the champions league!

I don't propose you sell on player every year from your academy but if you do eventually sell say Dan James for 15 million them the academy has justified itself for 5 years.

In other words you have to ask the question, is the academy supporting itself?

And at the moment the answer would have to be yes.

Rubbish.

You seem to think we produced Dan James.
Give Hull City a ring and see what they say.

Likewise McBernie, Byers, Futon, Grimes, and Harries.
All body snatched from elsewhere.

Meanwhile we have only produced Roberts and Rodon since Bens debut in August 2012.

Given the investment made, you can draw your own conclusions.

Not to mention Rory, Kenji, and the rest ...

Beware of the Risen People

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 22:49 - Feb 27 with 3060 viewsCaptain_Sham

The success of our academy is killing some people. Its simply delicious.

Its just a ride.

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 23:44 - Feb 27 with 3035 viewsKilkennyjack

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 22:49 - Feb 27 by Captain_Sham

The success of our academy is killing some people. Its simply delicious.

Carry on happy clapping fella.

Maybe you are one of the coaches ?
So best to close down any debate around the facts, eh ?

Do you think relegation might impact the current way we do business below first team level ? Just a thought.

How about an Academy model that works hard at producing local talent ? Worked for joey, jazz, ben and macca before we had any money. And now ... we have no money.

Closed minds are always most useful on discussion boards.

Beware of the Risen People

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 08:17 - Feb 28 with 2980 viewsglanmorjak

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 23:44 - Feb 27 by Kilkennyjack

Carry on happy clapping fella.

Maybe you are one of the coaches ?
So best to close down any debate around the facts, eh ?

Do you think relegation might impact the current way we do business below first team level ? Just a thought.

How about an Academy model that works hard at producing local talent ? Worked for joey, jazz, ben and macca before we had any money. And now ... we have no money.

Closed minds are always most useful on discussion boards.

Therè are very few academies that are able to work solely on producingcing local talent, most are cherry picked at a young age from other clubs, compensation paid etc. Even one if the best, Southampton.
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 14:50 - Mar 4 with 2740 viewsBlue_Blood

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 19:22 - Feb 27 by jasper_T

Spence was the next big thing when City came and poached Matondo, wasn't he?

It's a bit of a bizarre situation with Spence. He could have left the same time as Matondo but he thought he'd have a more of a chance of first team football with Cardiff.

He was in the u23 squad when he was 16 but his career seems to have stagnated due to background politics. I hope he reaches his potential but even though he's scored a pile of goals I feel he's thrown away the last 2 seasons.
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 23:32 - Jan 22 with 2311 viewsSwansea93

Cat 3 incoming, see below link from Twitter.

https://imgur.com/a/R2y5aqM

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Login to get fewer ads

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 00:29 - Jan 23 with 2262 viewsBluebird

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 09:18 - Feb 26 by Blue_Blood

I'm not sure FFP touches your academy investment. (I could be wrong though)

Playing an older than average u23 team is not an issue as you're using a completely different strategy to the Man City's and Chelsea's of this world.

Their aim is either to unveil the next big thing in world football or to sell a Rabbi Matondo for 12 million when he hasn't started a first team game!

Your aim would be to prepare players to be able to compete at Championship level for less than it would cost to buy players in.

This approach has paid massive dividends for you this season when you compare it to other clubs in the championship.

If you look at some of the fees being thrown around in that league this season you'll see things like Assombolonga 15 million, Tom Ince 10 million, Martin Waghorn 5 million!!, Sam Vokes 7.5 million, Bamford 7 million, and many more ridiculous fees for players who have hardly pulled up trees in that division.

The money spent on Assombolonga would fund your Cat 1 academy for 5 years, and judging by your recent success I'd rather do that than sign 10 Assombolongas for the total of 15 million.

I watched your u23 game against Man City earlier this season and though City won 4-1 it was a really competitive game. City had a lot younger average age than you and though I thought players like Bernabe, Iker, Matondo were excellent, it couldn't have done your players any harm playing against such players.

hi Roathie
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 04:38 - Jan 23 with 2170 viewshobo

Shooting ourselves in the foot here. Cat 1 pays for itself. Mcburnie wouldn't have joined if we didn't have or weren't working on achieving CAT 1, Likely the same with Dan James.

You've only got to look at the players breaking into the team this season for further proof of its value

Awful decision that sets the club back years
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 05:52 - Jan 23 with 2133 viewsbuilthjack

Absolutely disgusting.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 06:48 - Jan 23 with 2089 viewsChief

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 23:32 - Jan 22 by Swansea93

That is by no means an official Twitter though mind. They have just posted almost word for word what they said on the ambition is critical podcast last week. One is a taxi driver and picked someone up who told him this rumour.

There isn't usually this much smoke without a fire mind.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 07:44 - Jan 23 with 2016 viewsbennytheblue

Madness if true, you must be in the doo doo.....ps can we have the cardiff kids back now? VT is going to invest in getting us to cat A I hear.🤪
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 08:00 - Jan 23 with 1996 viewsChief

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 07:44 - Jan 23 by bennytheblue

Madness if true, you must be in the doo doo.....ps can we have the cardiff kids back now? VT is going to invest in getting us to cat A I hear.🤪

Thats funny, sure your chairman was saying recently that you you were forced to pay for your player that died, that you would be plunged into bankruptcy.

Yet you are about to spend a fair amount on gaining CAT 1 facilities?

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 08:35 - Jan 23 with 1940 viewsbennytheblue

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 08:00 - Jan 23 by Chief

Thats funny, sure your chairman was saying recently that you you were forced to pay for your player that died, that you would be plunged into bankruptcy.

Yet you are about to spend a fair amount on gaining CAT 1 facilities?

Costs less than a madine, glatzel or half a Murphy, he hates agents. Makes sense. He’s converted 100 mill from debt to equity but 10/15 will tip us over the edge
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 08:44 - Jan 23 with 1919 viewsChief

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 08:35 - Jan 23 by bennytheblue

Costs less than a madine, glatzel or half a Murphy, he hates agents. Makes sense. He’s converted 100 mill from debt to equity but 10/15 will tip us over the edge

Don't get me wrong, it makes financial sense if the moneys there to do it, especially when compared to some of the stinkers your club has signed - not that you'll get much money back from those players to fund this latest enterprise. That is essentially lost money, so not sure what the relevance of that is.

Why can't Tan work his magic to pay Nantes if he can conjure up a tip top academy then?

And how long can he go on doing this equity scam? How does it comply with FFP?

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 11:08 - Jan 23 with 1771 viewsjackrmee

Absolute gutted if this is true

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 11:12 - Jan 23 with 1767 viewsJacket

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 06:48 - Jan 23 by Chief

That is by no means an official Twitter though mind. They have just posted almost word for word what they said on the ambition is critical podcast last week. One is a taxi driver and picked someone up who told him this rumour.

There isn't usually this much smoke without a fire mind.

Would the sale of Landore automatically mean closure? Could they be moved to Fairwood. What would the Uni need Landore for if they have Fairwood. Also, why would they jump straight from cat 1 to 3? Seems an odd one.

Gutted if this is true. Being Chelsea's nursery club seems to be the plan.
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 11:17 - Jan 23 with 1755 viewsTimTtam

If this is true, all the benefits of being a PL team for 7 years are gone.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 12:03 - Jan 23 with 1684 viewsbennytheblue

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 08:44 - Jan 23 by Chief

Don't get me wrong, it makes financial sense if the moneys there to do it, especially when compared to some of the stinkers your club has signed - not that you'll get much money back from those players to fund this latest enterprise. That is essentially lost money, so not sure what the relevance of that is.

Why can't Tan work his magic to pay Nantes if he can conjure up a tip top academy then?

And how long can he go on doing this equity scam? How does it comply with FFP?

As you know it’s down to legals with Sala, if your lawyers told you not to buy a house, you probably wouldn’t. Also, most clubs buy a few duffs, didn’t you blow 80 odd million in your last PL season?
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 12:11 - Jan 23 with 1669 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 18:30 - Feb 17 by icecoldjack

Not a shock, hearing we are 20m quid in debt and that needs clearing in the summer so expect more gutting of playing staff and personnel

Just as Cardiff are planning the opposite, this can't be good, we will lose our advantage if this is allowed to happen?
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 12:13 - Jan 23 with 1661 viewsKGriz16

FAKE NEWS.
Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 12:29 - Jan 23 with 1618 viewsBadlands

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 11:12 - Jan 23 by Jacket

Would the sale of Landore automatically mean closure? Could they be moved to Fairwood. What would the Uni need Landore for if they have Fairwood. Also, why would they jump straight from cat 1 to 3? Seems an odd one.

Gutted if this is true. Being Chelsea's nursery club seems to be the plan.

Probably - it's as much about the ability to offer education opportunities which is currently happening at Landore. Not sure if these could be accommodated in the community (?).
Cat 1
.. is an elite environment where Academy Players are provided with additional access to coaching and the potential of full time education from U12. Category 1 Academies can recruit nationally from U14 provided the Academy Player is guaranteed access to a full time education programme.

Cat 3
This is an elite development environment where Academy Players are typically recruited locally but gain access to additional coaching opportunities and education support.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 12:34 - Jan 23 with 1610 viewsSwanjaxs

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 12:13 - Jan 23 by KGriz16

FAKE NEWS.

I'll bookmark this and give you the opportunity to eat humble pie 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 13:14 - Jan 23 with 1516 viewsbennytheblue

Academy Cat 1 - to Cat 3.. on 12:29 - Jan 23 by Badlands

Probably - it's as much about the ability to offer education opportunities which is currently happening at Landore. Not sure if these could be accommodated in the community (?).
Cat 1
.. is an elite environment where Academy Players are provided with additional access to coaching and the potential of full time education from U12. Category 1 Academies can recruit nationally from U14 provided the Academy Player is guaranteed access to a full time education programme.

Cat 3
This is an elite development environment where Academy Players are typically recruited locally but gain access to additional coaching opportunities and education support.

Was shocked to hear Newcastle are cat 3 and Sunderland still cat 1🤷🏼‍♂️
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024