Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dan James to sign new deal 18:26 - Feb 18 with 45004 viewswestisbest

Great news

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/daniel-james-news-leeds-united-1584
Dan James to sign new deal on 13:03 - Feb 19 with 2962 viewsFireboy2

Dan James to sign new deal on 12:30 - Feb 19 by jasper_T

Hours per week is over the top but they've probably had to sit through a few powerpoint presentations about Twitter, and a few mock interviews where they read from queue cards filled with the standard cliches.

Now thats more like it
Dan James to sign new deal on 13:04 - Feb 19 with 2945 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Dan James to sign new deal on 13:03 - Feb 19 by Fireboy2

Now thats more like it

I'm happy you agree with my point.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Dan James to sign new deal on 13:09 - Feb 19 with 2937 viewsTaliesin

Dan James to sign new deal on 19:10 - Feb 18 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Of course he'll want to sign a new deal with the right terms. It doesn't mean he wishes to stay. I'd imagine he will want a deal with a release clause meaning he can leave with little trouble in the Summer whilst getting paid a little more until then. Hopefully lessons have been learnt and he's sold early enough so we can use some of the money to replace him before the season starts.

Why would a player who is clearly a high priority target for a club seemingly bound for the Premier League, and perhaps may be a target for existing top tier clubs commit to a struggling second tier side who are only going to get weaker when they have £20mil less to play with in the Summer. We're only heading in one direction. He'll not want to tie himself down here.

Nothing like a little consistency you negative nutjob
Dan James to sign new deal on 13:10 - Feb 19 with 2929 viewsFireboy2

Dan James to sign new deal on 13:04 - Feb 19 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I'm happy you agree with my point.

🔔end
Dan James to sign new deal on 13:31 - Feb 19 with 2880 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Dan James to sign new deal on 13:09 - Feb 19 by Taliesin

Why would a player who is clearly a high priority target for a club seemingly bound for the Premier League, and perhaps may be a target for existing top tier clubs commit to a struggling second tier side who are only going to get weaker when they have £20mil less to play with in the Summer. We're only heading in one direction. He'll not want to tie himself down here.

Nothing like a little consistency you negative nutjob

Signing a new contract does not necessarily commit him to us for any longer than what he's contracted for now. It could include a range of clauses which would make an exit far easier than what his current contract allows for.

Dan James to sign new deal on 13:53 - Feb 19 with 2856 viewsJackSomething

Dan James to sign new deal on 12:59 - Feb 19 by The_E20

Then you will have to just be concerned. What he said was perfectly fine, it just sounds like you didn’t want to hear it and would have preferred him to sugar coat it with faux positivity.

Of course it’s good news he may sign a new deal, but let’s not pretend he wouldn’t rather be elsewhere, he said so himself a matter of weeks ago. Not even a PL club either, a team in our division. It’s hardly the pull of a once in a lifetime club, yet he was still sat at Elland Road anxiously hoping the paperwork would be completed to grant him permission to leave and join someone else in our division.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 13:19]

Now you're being deliberately obtuse.

I have repeatedly pointed out that I and others have posted since the Brentford game that it would be great if he signed a new contract. That would give him a pay rise (his second pay rise in 18 months or so) and would enable us to get more money for him when we inevitably sell him, probably with a reasonable release clause acceptable to both parties. His agent will be happy, getting a wedge for the new contract and another wedge when he leaves.

If that reads to you that I want to hear faux positivity, then all I can say is you're not understanding what you're reading.

As for your second paragraph, no-one had suggested otherwise on this thread by the time Dwight posted. I haven't seen anyone post that elsewhere either, although I admit I don't read all threads.

A bid was accepted by his club for him to be sold to the team top of the league, meaning he would playing under a world-renowned manager and for a club widely regarded as a 'sleeping giant'. He'd presumably also be receiving higher wages, a signing-on fee and the security of a longer contract. None of this suggests he'd rather be elsewhere now. I imagine 99% of professional footballers would like to be elsewhere in an ideal world, doesn't mean supporters are worrying about it.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Dan James to sign new deal on 13:57 - Feb 19 with 2841 viewsThe_E20

Dan James to sign new deal on 13:53 - Feb 19 by JackSomething

I have repeatedly pointed out that I and others have posted since the Brentford game that it would be great if he signed a new contract. That would give him a pay rise (his second pay rise in 18 months or so) and would enable us to get more money for him when we inevitably sell him, probably with a reasonable release clause acceptable to both parties. His agent will be happy, getting a wedge for the new contract and another wedge when he leaves.

If that reads to you that I want to hear faux positivity, then all I can say is you're not understanding what you're reading.

As for your second paragraph, no-one had suggested otherwise on this thread by the time Dwight posted. I haven't seen anyone post that elsewhere either, although I admit I don't read all threads.

A bid was accepted by his club for him to be sold to the team top of the league, meaning he would playing under a world-renowned manager and for a club widely regarded as a 'sleeping giant'. He'd presumably also be receiving higher wages, a signing-on fee and the security of a longer contract. None of this suggests he'd rather be elsewhere now. I imagine 99% of professional footballers would like to be elsewhere in an ideal world, doesn't mean supporters are worrying about it.

Then I am completely at a loss as to exactly what DYSS said that you have an issue with. It seems as if you agree with him on every point?

99% of footballers may well wish to be elsewhere. Certainly a lesser % of footballers wish to be elsewhere if the team is in the same division however. Hardly displays a burning commitment does it?

Not having a go at the lad either, perfectly normal. But I have seen many comments suggesting he was using Leeds for a pay rise and how people are clearly buying into PR comments about his sheer joy.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 14:02]
Dan James to sign new deal on 14:03 - Feb 19 with 2817 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Dan James to sign new deal on 13:53 - Feb 19 by JackSomething

I thought it was a loan initially? Which means he was willing to go on loan to another club in the division (whilst still under contract with us), try and help them get promoted instead of us, and then pray they do get promoted so they'll take him permanently in the Summer.

But yes, you and others can keep dreaming about how he loves it here and whatever other rubbish soundbites he has been coached to give to anybody asking.

Login to get fewer ads

Dan James to sign new deal on 14:04 - Feb 19 with 2823 viewsJackSomething

Dan James to sign new deal on 13:57 - Feb 19 by The_E20

Then I am completely at a loss as to exactly what DYSS said that you have an issue with. It seems as if you agree with him on every point?

99% of footballers may well wish to be elsewhere. Certainly a lesser % of footballers wish to be elsewhere if the team is in the same division however. Hardly displays a burning commitment does it?

Not having a go at the lad either, perfectly normal. But I have seen many comments suggesting he was using Leeds for a pay rise and how people are clearly buying into PR comments about his sheer joy.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 14:02]

Then I'd class the people making those comments as naive at best. Whoever is making them and wherever they may be.

Dan James to sign new deal on 14:09 - Feb 19 with 2801 viewsJackSomething

Dan James to sign new deal on 14:03 - Feb 19 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I thought it was a loan initially? Which means he was willing to go on loan to another club in the division (whilst still under contract with us), try and help them get promoted instead of us, and then pray they do get promoted so they'll take him permanently in the Summer.

But yes, you and others can keep dreaming about how he loves it here and whatever other rubbish soundbites he has been coached to give to anybody asking.

I haven't said that Dwight, but you go on making things up to try and prove your point if you like.

It was a loan initially yes, but unsurprisingly Dan has the confidence in himself that he'd impress and they'd be falling over themselves to sign him in the summer. The same confidence that Trundle had in himself to be a success in the Championship or that an 18-year old Ronaldo with 33 career appearances had in going to the biggest club in the world.

Additionally, the club or his agent have called him and told him an offer has been accepted for him, he needs to get himself up to Leeds sharpish. How many players in that situation would say no? We both know the answer is very few.

Dan James to sign new deal on 14:12 - Feb 19 with 2791 viewsProfessor

Either way if he is under a longer contract he will cost more. He may well have agreed a deal like Bony with a (realistic) buyout clause which led to an amicable deal with City. Our prize money earned on Sunday will cover a decent amount of an improved contract for this season.
Dan James to sign new deal on 14:12 - Feb 19 with 2786 viewsThe_E20

Dan James to sign new deal on 14:04 - Feb 19 by JackSomething

Then I'd class the people making those comments as naive at best. Whoever is making them and wherever they may be.

So we all agree with DYSS then that him signing a contract extension just provides a probable better financial deal when he leaves (and for the player now) as opposed to being brought on by a new found burning desire to commit the length of his contract to playing for us? Remember we are talking about most likely scenario here not most desired outcome or thought.
Dan James to sign new deal on 14:37 - Feb 19 with 2733 viewsjack247

Dan James to sign new deal on 14:12 - Feb 19 by The_E20

So we all agree with DYSS then that him signing a contract extension just provides a probable better financial deal when he leaves (and for the player now) as opposed to being brought on by a new found burning desire to commit the length of his contract to playing for us? Remember we are talking about most likely scenario here not most desired outcome or thought.

Haven’t read the full thread, but is anyone really disagreeing with that?

It would be great, but probably not realistic, unless his form plummets, to keep him here long term. A new contract and then a better fee is a win/win surely.
Dan James to sign new deal on 14:52 - Feb 19 with 2715 viewsjasper_T

Even if it was an initial loan he still would have been earning more with Leeds than us this season. Most loan to buys operate with the player getting their new contract wage immediately (see Ryan Woods) and many normal loans involve the player earning more to depart (all of Tammy Abraham's loans).
Dan James to sign new deal on 15:10 - Feb 19 with 2667 viewsJackSomething

Dan James to sign new deal on 14:37 - Feb 19 by jack247

Haven’t read the full thread, but is anyone really disagreeing with that?

It would be great, but probably not realistic, unless his form plummets, to keep him here long term. A new contract and then a better fee is a win/win surely.

Not really. Oldjack said we should be keeping him full stop, but it's Oldjack so... Plasjack said James was better than Sterling, but no-one else seemed to take that seriously.

E20 was worried we were bullying poor Dwight. Dwight was just doing his usual sub-par WUM routine and got a few nibbles.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 15:11]

Dan James to sign new deal on 15:22 - Feb 19 with 2632 viewsjack247

Dan James to sign new deal on 15:10 - Feb 19 by JackSomething

Not really. Oldjack said we should be keeping him full stop, but it's Oldjack so... Plasjack said James was better than Sterling, but no-one else seemed to take that seriously.

E20 was worried we were bullying poor Dwight. Dwight was just doing his usual sub-par WUM routine and got a few nibbles.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 15:11]

Standard PS thread then really
Dan James to sign new deal on 21:50 - Feb 19 with 2376 viewsjackrmee

Dan James to sign new deal on 12:19 - Feb 19 by The_E20

Whether or not you think he is a supporter is irrelevant really, what he actually said was pretty sensible and far more likely a reality than the pretence that if he had his way he wouldn’t be playing for another club. People just don’t want to hear it as they don’t want to accept it.

“Im really disappointed that I didn’t get to join Leeds” is exactly the same as him saying he is disappointed he wasn’t able to leave in that scenario. No two ways about it. One may sound nicer than the other, granted - but they mean the same thing.

What Dwight said was completely fine, I’m not jumping into bed with anybody. If someone say something sensible then I say so, if they say something stupid I say so. I know more than most here that people respond to the poster rather than the content and I believe that has happened here. It helps nobody.

I don't think those 2 sentences mean anywhere near the same thing tbh

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Dan James to sign new deal on 21:55 - Feb 19 with 2363 viewsjackrmee

Dan James to sign new deal on 12:59 - Feb 19 by The_E20

Then you will have to just be concerned. What he said was perfectly fine, it just sounds like you didn’t want to hear it and would have preferred him to sugar coat it with faux positivity.

Of course it’s good news he may sign a new deal, but let’s not pretend he wouldn’t rather be elsewhere, he said so himself a matter of weeks ago. Not even a PL club either, a team in our division. It’s hardly the pull of a once in a lifetime club, yet he was still sat at Elland Road anxiously hoping the paperwork would be completed to grant him permission to leave and join someone else in our division.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 13:19]

I really don't believe he would rather be elsewhere at all.
He did not say "I would rather be somewhere else"! He said he wanted to join Leeds at the time, as they were showing that they wanted him and they were en route to the prem. Does not mean he would prefer to play for Leeds than Swansea.

Maybe he would rather be on more money, but he is enjoying his football here and is around his mates. He's a young lad ffs, what more would you want?
TBH I would have thought he would be more interested in that than money or fame at his age. Probably not what he's getting advised by his family and agent, but if I was him I'd want to be playing footy with my pals.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Dan James to sign new deal on 22:04 - Feb 19 with 2330 viewsjackrmee

Dan James to sign new deal on 14:12 - Feb 19 by The_E20

No-one said he's going to stay here long term.
It was just stated about the positives in his words.
He can be loving playing here and still not plan to be here forever mind.

Some people may absolutely love their jobs, possibly as a support worker or something...doesn't mean their aim isn't to become a social worker or manager, and may even be using the support worker role as a short term stepping stone...doesn't mean they are lying if they say that they love working there and love their colleagues ffs.

Dan James to sign new deal on 22:15 - Feb 19 with 2299 viewsLuther27

OK...shoot me down on this...but aren't we talking football and players here? The way I see it is...DJ is yorkie lad......leaves Hull at 16 for us...more money...Hull pretty pissed off. He does well for U23 etc not so good on loan and returns to us.

We then get relegated sell our first team squad..or most of...and field a team that consists of quite a few academy products. DJ starts getting game time and does well. Transfer day costs HJ his job because he wants DJ to stay at Swansea. Bit of a furor in the press...then the Brentford game. DJ scores a brilliant individual goal which brings the offer of a new improved contract....but also the eyes of Premier League clubs.

Outcome...DJ leaves in August for more than Leeds would ever pay....end of.
Dan James to sign new deal on 22:19 - Feb 19 with 2278 viewsjasper_T

Dan James to sign new deal on 22:15 - Feb 19 by Luther27

OK...shoot me down on this...but aren't we talking football and players here? The way I see it is...DJ is yorkie lad......leaves Hull at 16 for us...more money...Hull pretty pissed off. He does well for U23 etc not so good on loan and returns to us.

We then get relegated sell our first team squad..or most of...and field a team that consists of quite a few academy products. DJ starts getting game time and does well. Transfer day costs HJ his job because he wants DJ to stay at Swansea. Bit of a furor in the press...then the Brentford game. DJ scores a brilliant individual goal which brings the offer of a new improved contract....but also the eyes of Premier League clubs.

Outcome...DJ leaves in August for more than Leeds would ever pay....end of.

Well it's not quite "end of" is it. Some of that is hearsay (the dramatic Jenkins last minute save, and that being the reason he left) and anything can happen between now and the summer, it's certainly not a given he leaves for more than £10m to not-Leeds.
Dan James to sign new deal on 22:25 - Feb 19 with 2262 viewsLuther27

Dan James to sign new deal on 22:19 - Feb 19 by jasper_T

Well it's not quite "end of" is it. Some of that is hearsay (the dramatic Jenkins last minute save, and that being the reason he left) and anything can happen between now and the summer, it's certainly not a given he leaves for more than £10m to not-Leeds.

HJ...time will tell. As for the price...variable but the end game result on DJ will be the same.
Dan James to sign new deal on 22:31 - Feb 19 with 2247 viewsjasper_T

Dan James to sign new deal on 22:25 - Feb 19 by Luther27

HJ...time will tell. As for the price...variable but the end game result on DJ will be the same.

You're tempting fate. He might break his leg tomorrow.

Our owners were counting the cash before we sold players last summer and look where that got us. Doesn't always work out as expected.
Dan James to sign new deal on 22:58 - Feb 19 with 2197 viewsLuther27

Dan James to sign new deal on 22:31 - Feb 19 by jasper_T

You're tempting fate. He might break his leg tomorrow.

Our owners were counting the cash before we sold players last summer and look where that got us. Doesn't always work out as expected.

Oh I agree regarding his injury potential. That's where a new enhanced contract comes in. Don't get me wrong I'd love him to stay and progress with us. If he does we benefit. However football is a filthy world dominated by agents and money.
Dan James to sign new deal on 00:07 - Feb 20 with 2137 viewsThe_E20

Dan James to sign new deal on 21:50 - Feb 19 by jackrmee

I don't think those 2 sentences mean anywhere near the same thing tbh

They certainly do.

If I was moving out of my house to move into another and it fell through. My partner would be disappointed. Now someone could describe that as a disappointment not to be in the other house or a disappointment to still be in this one - they both mean the same thing when referring to what happened.

Bottom line - she would rather be elsewhere regardless if we have now signed a slightly longer lease as a result.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024