Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread 19:13 - Feb 27 with 28707 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 2 Mar 2019 12:52]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 20:39 - Mar 2 with 2199 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Not in the game I was watching, when Dan James was on the right he kept starting to make a run, only to be ignored and the ball went back in to the middle, even when he initiated the move.
Not many were prepared to chance the through ball or a chip over the top.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 20:44 - Mar 2 with 2182 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 20:10 - Mar 2 by angryjack

Can't understand why we got cracking fast wingers and potter plays with our wingers narrow using our full backs for width and the likes of naughton are not up to it to overlap and give the width we need...the likes of James is wasted in that formation

Totally agree, especially in the first half.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 20:48 - Mar 2 with 2167 viewsunion_jack

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 20:23 - Mar 2 by skettyparkherbert

I do look at what he has done and appreciate it but the trouble is it's all same old same old and no intensity or urgency with us.

Any top team in this division would have put them to the sword today but we made it look really difficult playing against 9 men.

We seem to have only one way of playing and it's so bloody frustrating as a fan.

I’m cant disagree with that.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 20:52 - Mar 2 with 2138 viewsskettyparkherbert

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 20:38 - Mar 2 by Badlands

Having 9 behind the ball is a brick wall defence whether there are 1 on the field or ...9.
Although we lacked urgency I thought they adopted the right tactics.
Calls to shoot with nothing but bodies in front and cross with no place in the centre are redundant.
On one up I think we should have just stroked the ball around inner own half until they lost concentration and then struck.
I still think James is better as an impact sub but today it was about Dyer and Routeldge being considered danger players which led Bolton to see two reds (the straight red I thought was harsh TBH) I'd have preferred to see Asoro or McKAy on in the first half to take a bit of energy out of their defenders legs and bring James on at half time.
McBurnie's penalty was an absolute shocker!
I don't rate CBC but today his presence made a big difference.
Of the starters Grimes, CBs, Nordfedt, Naughton & Dyer played well throughout as did James and McBurnie towards the end of the second half.
Foe once the ref and linesmen got all the decisions right.

Badlands

I must have been watching a different game to you mate.

They didn't get 9 behind the ball even at the death, do you think top sides like Leeds, Norwich or Sheff Utd would have struggled like we did against them, no, they would have gone for the jugular.

We haven't got that in our make up, we would seem to rather pass it 35 times from side to side, back and fore and eventually loose it in the middle of the park.

We can't whip and early cross into the box as there usually isn't one of our front 3 in there early enough as they have all dropped too deep to keep linking up the play.

As for you preferring to see Asoro and Mckay start i would like to see who agrees with that call, for me that are not good enough to start and luxuries we can't afford as they are both week as kittens defensively.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 21:15 - Mar 2 with 2073 viewsDr_Winston

The biggest frustration is something Uxy alluded to. When we do move the ball quickly and with purpose we look a much better side. Question is why we fail to do that so often.

We have players capable of doing it, otherwise it wouldn't happen at all. So we have to ask ourselves why it doesn't happen more often. Sadly I have to think to a certain degree that's how the team are being set up to play.

The simple lack of anyone left on the halfway line when we're defending a corner speaks to an innate cautiousness about the way the players are being instructed to approach games.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 21:19 - Mar 2 with 2059 viewsskettyparkherbert

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 21:15 - Mar 2 by Dr_Winston

The biggest frustration is something Uxy alluded to. When we do move the ball quickly and with purpose we look a much better side. Question is why we fail to do that so often.

We have players capable of doing it, otherwise it wouldn't happen at all. So we have to ask ourselves why it doesn't happen more often. Sadly I have to think to a certain degree that's how the team are being set up to play.

The simple lack of anyone left on the halfway line when we're defending a corner speaks to an innate cautiousness about the way the players are being instructed to approach games.

Here, here, this must be a coaching issue as you say we have the players to step it up especially today.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 21:36 - Mar 2 with 2013 viewsdobjack2

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 19:56 - Mar 2 by skettyparkherbert

Agreed.

I can't believe that we stayed with a back 4 when they went down to 10 and still a back 3 and Grimes really deep when they went down to 9.

Also we must be the only club in the championship who have every player back to defend a corner, even against 10. Why not leave DJ on the half way line then they would have to have 2 back to take care of him?

If we are lucky enough to clear the ball from a corner it just comes straight back in cos nobody is up top, crazy?

Putshing DJ up at corners would frighten the Sh!t out of most teams after the Brentford game.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:10 - Mar 2 with 1926 viewsLuther27

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 21:15 - Mar 2 by Dr_Winston

I agree. Saw the same traits to a point with Clements and Calvahal teams. The difference then was we were fighting for Premier League survival. The managers doubts pervaded through to the team and more importantly the tactics dictated by him. it appears Potter is going through the same thought process to me.
Login to get fewer ads

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:13 - Mar 2 with 1917 viewsskettyparkherbert

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 21:36 - Mar 2 by dobjack2

Putshing DJ up at corners would frighten the Sh!t out of most teams after the Brentford game.

Agreed, but more importantly it would take 2 players out of our box too.

We bring back both DJ and ND to defend corners, lets be fair they would struggle to beat Bilbo Baggins in the air.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:32 - Mar 2 with 1881 viewsUxbridge

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:10 - Mar 2 by Luther27

I agree. Saw the same traits to a point with Clements and Calvahal teams. The difference then was we were fighting for Premier League survival. The managers doubts pervaded through to the team and more importantly the tactics dictated by him. it appears Potter is going through the same thought process to me.

There's no way Potter is cautious in remotely the same manner as Clement was, and certainly not the latter weeks of Carvalhal's reign. Their caution utterly paralysed them. There have been times under Potter where he's been more gung ho than any manager I can recall. Too much so sometimes.

There is an element of caution to Potter's approach at times, although some of that may be due to the fact we have a pretty soft underbelly. I do keep coming back to that many in the squad are having to relearn how to play a passing, possession based game. That, coupled with a lot of youngsters being integrated and a bit of a lack of quality in certain places, and I think it's understandable to a degree. Think this team will be much better next year, if not dismantled and strengthened in parts. As we're seeing, this division is pretty pish.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:35 - Mar 2 with 1865 viewsBrad_Bobbly

This won’t go down well because some people are obsessed with possession football

But

This slow build up passing sideways football is dated and it’s boring

I much prefer quick, direct counter attacking football

Bolton are terrible and we made them look ok today
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:38 - Mar 2 with 1864 viewsDr_Winston

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:10 - Mar 2 by Luther27

I do have (and always will) a certain sympathy towards Carvalhal. Given a full strength squad we'd have probably survived under him, as results suggested. It was misfortune to lose Fer long term just when results were going our way and end up having to build a midfield around a shithouse like Ki.

Clement was just a coward. Actively bigging up opponents like Brighton in the press whilst our own team was afraid to cross the halfway line. I can accept losing games if the players have given their all. When they're too restricted to even try I lose patience.

There's lots to admire about the way Potter has gone about his business and I'm certainly not advocating a replacement, but I wish he was a bit more bullish in his approach.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:40 - Mar 2 with 1861 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swans won. Good drink. Not bothered about post mortems.

Poll: Tory leader

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:00 - Mar 2 with 1815 viewsBadlands

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:35 - Mar 2 by Brad_Bobbly

This won’t go down well because some people are obsessed with possession football

But

This slow build up passing sideways football is dated and it’s boring

I much prefer quick, direct counter attacking football

Bolton are terrible and we made them look ok today

How do you counter attack a team that sits 11 players behind the ball.

I do agree with you about quick countering ... but more to do with players playing possession football at pace and being more decisive. For me too many are taking 3 or 4 touches to get the ball where they need it for a pass. There again you have to have someone making a pass available.
But, when we went 1 up and were playing keep ball the crowd started hissing and our players started looking for miracle passes and that was the only time (5 minutes) Bolton looked in the game.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:14 - Mar 2 with 1793 viewsLuther27

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:32 - Mar 2 by Uxbridge

There's no way Potter is cautious in remotely the same manner as Clement was, and certainly not the latter weeks of Carvalhal's reign. Their caution utterly paralysed them. There have been times under Potter where he's been more gung ho than any manager I can recall. Too much so sometimes.

There is an element of caution to Potter's approach at times, although some of that may be due to the fact we have a pretty soft underbelly. I do keep coming back to that many in the squad are having to relearn how to play a passing, possession based game. That, coupled with a lot of youngsters being integrated and a bit of a lack of quality in certain places, and I think it's understandable to a degree. Think this team will be much better next year, if not dismantled and strengthened in parts. As we're seeing, this division is pretty pish.

I don't expect Kamikaze football...but I expect more drive, pace and positivity going forward. That was lacking today...and we won ffs. As I said in an earlier post, this is a new team not burdened with the doubts of last season. The spine of this team come from a very successful U23 squad...played together with a good understanding and cameraderie that came to the fore at the start of the season. Today was about game management and that came from Potter. We need to improve our GD which could be potentially crucial during the run in. Our cautious play after the first goal against nine men....nine men wasn't acceptable.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:18 - Mar 2 with 1783 viewsjasper_T

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:00 - Mar 2 by Badlands

How do you counter attack a team that sits 11 players behind the ball.

I do agree with you about quick countering ... but more to do with players playing possession football at pace and being more decisive. For me too many are taking 3 or 4 touches to get the ball where they need it for a pass. There again you have to have someone making a pass available.
But, when we went 1 up and were playing keep ball the crowd started hissing and our players started looking for miracle passes and that was the only time (5 minutes) Bolton looked in the game.

Too many fans don't seem to realise there's two teams on the pitch. There are limits to what we can do when - due to our reputation - teams sit in and try to stifle us, and hit on the break.

Teams have also done their homework and know which players of ours will pass backwards and sideways with minimal pressure, and which they need to close down and cut off the lines towards.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:20 - Mar 2 with 1777 viewsUxbridge

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:14 - Mar 2 by Luther27

I don't expect Kamikaze football...but I expect more drive, pace and positivity going forward. That was lacking today...and we won ffs. As I said in an earlier post, this is a new team not burdened with the doubts of last season. The spine of this team come from a very successful U23 squad...played together with a good understanding and cameraderie that came to the fore at the start of the season. Today was about game management and that came from Potter. We need to improve our GD which could be potentially crucial during the run in. Our cautious play after the first goal against nine men....nine men wasn't acceptable.

Oh, very much agree in terms of the lack of intensity today. Very frustrating. Just trying to look at the reasons for that, which I think are probably a mix of things.

I expect this season will be looked back upon as a missed opportunity. If it is, Potter deserves a lot of credit for even getting us that close IMO, and think we'll be the stronger for it next year, both players and manager.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:26 - Mar 2 with 1765 viewsLuther27

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:18 - Mar 2 by jasper_T

Too many fans don't seem to realise there's two teams on the pitch. There are limits to what we can do when - due to our reputation - teams sit in and try to stifle us, and hit on the break.

Teams have also done their homework and know which players of ours will pass backwards and sideways with minimal pressure, and which they need to close down and cut off the lines towards.

I see that...but the second half today I can count on two fingers the number of times DJ took on the fullback..the first time we nearly scored via a home goal. He kept cutting in to a condensed centre field. The second time he took the full back on we scored. Bolton whether they had 11, 10 or 9 on the pitch kept a compact shape which we kept banging our heads against. We never mixed up the play. That's not a criticism it's an observation.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:46 - Mar 2 with 1732 viewsElmo

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 22:40 - Mar 2 by exiledclaseboy

Swans won. Good drink. Not bothered about post mortems.

This post says it all about the quality of posts on this site. A match-day thread so lacking in insight, analysis and debate is testament to the low ebb on this forum. Poor form.

A Trust official (if my understanding is correct), whose stated focus is on fans' communication can only muster a paltry one-liner, wtf.

Surely fans deserve more from a fans forum affiliated with the fans' Trust.

Interestingly (for key stakeholders) the insightful posters have disappeared. What's left are the dregs, the ongoing turgid depressing negativity, without meaningful content, meaningful knowledge. Poor form and highly indicative. Interesting times.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:56 - Mar 2 with 1707 viewsshenleymun

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 23:46 - Mar 2 by Elmo

This post says it all about the quality of posts on this site. A match-day thread so lacking in insight, analysis and debate is testament to the low ebb on this forum. Poor form.

A Trust official (if my understanding is correct), whose stated focus is on fans' communication can only muster a paltry one-liner, wtf.

Surely fans deserve more from a fans forum affiliated with the fans' Trust.

Interestingly (for key stakeholders) the insightful posters have disappeared. What's left are the dregs, the ongoing turgid depressing negativity, without meaningful content, meaningful knowledge. Poor form and highly indicative. Interesting times.

Got to saythis post from”Elmo” makes me want to puke.

Go away Mun.
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 00:08 - Mar 3 with 1679 viewsswan65split

My one liner. ....we won, passed the ball, never got further than second or third gear.

ps its a match thread!
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 00:57 - Mar 3 with 1623 viewsElmo

So a mun from Shenley and a split personality from swansea, c.65 muster a sorry response. Whilst the ECB up-votes indiscriminately. A pattern.

Fans would far rather the ECB for once post something insightful about football and fans related material. Give it a go, its not that difficult if you have a modicum of football knowledge, insight and passion for the game.

(Note: Many itk fans are clearly fed up with the lack of meaningful comms form the Trust's fans forum - now's your chance........)
The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 01:17 - Mar 3 with 1617 viewsGlyn1

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 19:26 - Mar 2 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

This is the sort of performance Potter is putting together with the current squad. Do you trust him to do any better with half the squad gone next year?

Actually, yes I absolutely do (and you probably do yourself). More training + more experience = 5 places higher in the table.

It means that we are safe from relegation and the manager can use the rest of the season to train our squad with no pressure.

Obviously we need to strengthen our squad in the summer, just like every other club.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 08:04 - Mar 3 with 1436 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 01:17 - Mar 3 by Glyn1

Actually, yes I absolutely do (and you probably do yourself). More training + more experience = 5 places higher in the table.

It means that we are safe from relegation and the manager can use the rest of the season to train our squad with no pressure.

Obviously we need to strengthen our squad in the summer, just like every other club.

Of course we need to strengthen. However how can we? Most of our remaining 'Premier League era' players will depart. The only ones who stay will be the likes of Dyer who look like they would struggle in League 1 as it stands. We may see the Ayews stay too but that's only because no one is daft enough to buy them out of their current contracts, and they'll likely be loaned out again.

We can't improve when the likes of Fer, Olsson, possibly Naughton and very likely at least one of McBurnie/James/Roberts will be leaving, whilst at the same time having little to no money to replace them.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

The Official Swansea City Vs Bolton Wanderers Match Thread on 08:26 - Mar 3 with 1429 viewskarnataka

I agree we have a team capable of playing slick football moving the ball quickly and it's great to watch when it happens but the reason why we don't do it consistently throughout a game is our appalling movement off the ball which is something I've been banging on about for a few seasons now. In the past we've had players like Leon and de Guzman who were constantly on the move and had an instinct for finding pockets of space to receive a pass from whoever had the ball wherever they were on the pitch and players were able to see they had pass options before the ball had even reached them. It's how the likes of Liverpool and Man City play all the time. Far too often, our players receive a pass, look up and there's nothing on because we are statuesque so the ball has to go backwards and the momentum has gone. It's one of the main reasons our build up and attacking play is so laboured and slow.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024