Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? 21:23 - Mar 5 with 1349 viewsSTID2017

Looking at extension and dormer work

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 21:33 - Mar 5 with 1342 viewsdickythorpe

Bryn Cartwright has a mate called Fatty Lewis
Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 21:47 - Mar 5 with 1313 viewsdameedna

Consider employing a superintendant to advise you as principal on payment claims from the builder. Get more than one quote and always sign a contract before starting works such as demolition. Put a programme, cash flow, outline design and detailed specification of materials in the contract. Do not leave this to the builder.
Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 21:58 - Mar 5 with 1288 viewsSTID2017

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 21:47 - Mar 5 by dameedna

Consider employing a superintendant to advise you as principal on payment claims from the builder. Get more than one quote and always sign a contract before starting works such as demolition. Put a programme, cash flow, outline design and detailed specification of materials in the contract. Do not leave this to the builder.

Thank you. I'll be seeking professional advice as this is a major piece of work

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 12:13 - Mar 6 with 1159 viewsvalleyboy

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 21:58 - Mar 5 by STID2017

Thank you. I'll be seeking professional advice as this is a major piece of work

If this as you say is a major piece of work. Then this will probably need planning/building permission

If that is the case , the design and specification will be covered in the drawings submitted to the council

Yes I agree with the other poster, to get more than one quotation, but selecting the right builder to give yo a quotation is the key decision

If you don’t know of a good builder already. I suggest you walk around the locality to see if any building work has already been done there. Then simply ask the people who have had work done what were their opinion of the work carried out

One other piece of advice I can give you, is if there is a need to submit plans to the council. Is tolook at an independent building control officer to look after each stage of the work rather than the council officer
Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 14:42 - Mar 6 with 1118 viewsSTID2017

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 12:13 - Mar 6 by valleyboy

If this as you say is a major piece of work. Then this will probably need planning/building permission

If that is the case , the design and specification will be covered in the drawings submitted to the council

Yes I agree with the other poster, to get more than one quotation, but selecting the right builder to give yo a quotation is the key decision

If you don’t know of a good builder already. I suggest you walk around the locality to see if any building work has already been done there. Then simply ask the people who have had work done what were their opinion of the work carried out

One other piece of advice I can give you, is if there is a need to submit plans to the council. Is tolook at an independent building control officer to look after each stage of the work rather than the council officer

Thanks for all that Valleyboy
I met with an arcitect this morning they can handle it from beginning through plannong and onto getting quotes, etc. Depending how much they quote it may well be a good way to go.
I want it to be as stress free as possible

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 15:13 - Mar 6 with 1101 viewsAustinIsOurHero

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 14:42 - Mar 6 by STID2017

I met with an arcitect this morning they can handle it from beginning through plannong and onto getting quotes, etc. Depending how much they quote it may well be a good way to go.

Hi mate,

do you mind me asking what architect you have chosen? I'm on the lookout for one as we're planning on converting our garage.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 15:20 - Mar 6 with 1099 viewsmonmouth

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 14:42 - Mar 6 by STID2017

Do NOT let them start until you see proof of planning permission. Don’t believe any assurances they give you. Keep in touch with building control yourself. Don’t trust anybody one inch.

And that is my experience from a firm that came highly regarded from a lot of people. Turned out when I got people questioning, that they’d built over open drains, had not got planning permission and ignored all the admin. The building work was good mind, except it was unsafe and unauthorised. Took me a long time and a lot of effort to rectify.

Never again for me, but just be very careful.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 15:43 - Mar 6 with 1075 viewsunion_jack

On top of what’s been said I’ll give you one more piece of advice.

Keep your distance from the builders. Don’t treat them like your friends but as what they are I.e. contractors working for you. Heed that and if anything goes wrong it will be a lot easier to deal with.

Some good builders:

JP construction (John Perrett)
Peninsular (Rob Beddoe)

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 16:08 - Mar 6 with 1057 viewsjohnlangy

Chris Evans - Ace Developments.

Did a single storey extension for us, approx £25,000. Excellent job and good bloke. Come and have a look if you want.

John
Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 19:24 - Mar 6 with 984 viewsSTID2017

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 15:13 - Mar 6 by AustinIsOurHero

Hi mate,

do you mind me asking what architect you have chosen? I'm on the lookout for one as we're planning on converting our garage.

David Darkin 07870 380521.
Recommended to me by someone who uses him a lot.

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 19:29 - Mar 6 with 975 viewsSTID2017

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 15:20 - Mar 6 by monmouth

Do NOT let them start until you see proof of planning permission. Don’t believe any assurances they give you. Keep in touch with building control yourself. Don’t trust anybody one inch.

And that is my experience from a firm that came highly regarded from a lot of people. Turned out when I got people questioning, that they’d built over open drains, had not got planning permission and ignored all the admin. The building work was good mind, except it was unsafe and unauthorised. Took me a long time and a lot of effort to rectify.

Thanks Monny.
These guys are recommended by a family member who has been involved in a lot of developments, but I will certainly be hands on, without actually doing the work myself. (No DIY-er me ! )

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 19:30 - Mar 6 with 972 viewsSTID2017

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 16:08 - Mar 6 by johnlangy

Chris Evans - Ace Developments.

Did a single storey extension for us, approx £25,000. Excellent job and good bloke. Come and have a look if you want.

John

PM'd you John

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 20:27 - Mar 6 with 922 viewsvalleyboy

You obviously didn’t go through the right channels

Where the hell was your building control officer

Obviously you started work without planning permission or plans passed by Building Control. As a building control officer needs to examine the work at defined stages

There are strict stages that must be past in any building project and no way would any builder have been able to build over any open drains without the building control officer seeing what was happening

The poster doing the work has done the right thing. In going to an architect, especially if that architect is controlling the standard of work

No way would any architect start a building project if it had not been passed and with all the paperwork signed off
Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 20:36 - Mar 6 with 912 viewsvalleyboy

Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 15:43 - Mar 6 by union_jack

On top of what’s been said I’ll give you one more piece of advice.

Keep your distance from the builders. Don’t treat them like your friends but as what they are I.e. contractors working for you. Heed that and if anything goes wrong it will be a lot easier to deal with.

Some good builders:

JP construction (John Perrett)
Peninsular (Rob Beddoe)

I totally agree with that advice and would give another small piece of advice

Keep family and friends out of the equation especially if you are paying them to do some if the work

If a builder/carpenter/plumber etc does work that you are not happy with, you can do something about it

If a friend/family member does work that you have paid him to do and not happy with the work. More often than not, a friendship is lost
Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 23:51 - Mar 6 with 840 viewsvalleyboy

Had a good laugh reading this bit

“The building work was good mind, except it was unsafe and unatherused”

Must have been a case of the building sinking knto the ground, but didn’t fall down
Anyone Recommend any Good Builders ? on 09:29 - Mar 7 with 712 viewsLoyal

Doug Sharpe.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024