Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Promotion/relegation from Six Nations 12:22 - Mar 7 with 1578 viewsMrSwerve

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/six-nations-relegation-set-

Also the possibility of free-to-air ending.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 12:25 - Mar 7 with 1564 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The ending of free to air coverage is inevitable I feel, but it will see a decline in interest similar to that experienced by cricket.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 12:41 - Mar 7 with 1526 viewsLeonWasGod

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 12:25 - Mar 7 by JACKMANANDBOY

The ending of free to air coverage is inevitable I feel, but it will see a decline in interest similar to that experienced by cricket.

Agreed. It'll still be followed by rugby lovers, but the casual audience (possibly the majority?) will drop off.

Bad move for the popularity of the sport imo, but probably there's more money to be made for someone. I think it's short-sighted.
Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 12:49 - Mar 7 with 1514 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 12:41 - Mar 7 by LeonWasGod

Agreed. It'll still be followed by rugby lovers, but the casual audience (possibly the majority?) will drop off.

Bad move for the popularity of the sport imo, but probably there's more money to be made for someone. I think it's short-sighted.

Cricket is, of course, moving back to do more free to air coverage. Rugby could learn from thus but, they'll take the cash.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 17:11 - Mar 7 with 1421 viewsJonathans_coat

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 12:41 - Mar 7 by LeonWasGod

Promotion/relegation = yes, much needed, especially for the development of the game worldwide. You can’t just have the same teams at the top table, with the door locked to everyone else. Rugby should aim to be a global sport, not a cosy elite club.

Scrapping free-to-view = errrrrr, pros and cons. Short term gains, as the game is on its knees financially in some respects (Wales), but long term it will put off the casual fans, and rugby needs more exposure to grow, not less.
Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 17:29 - Mar 7 with 1405 viewsPozuelosSideys

Was under the impression that International Rugby in Wales is ringfenced and cannot be aired on anything other than the freetoview by law

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 12:18 - Mar 8 with 1290 viewsDafyddHuw

It's egg news.

Move along. Nothing tp see here.

If rugby is so massive in this area, why is there no Planet Ospreys? And for a team who plays in the equivalent of football's Prem, why are attendances so shit?
Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 12:39 - Mar 8 with 1271 viewshobo

All changed due to the thread here on PS
Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 13:49 - Mar 8 with 1235 viewsmajorraglan

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 17:29 - Mar 7 by PozuelosSideys

Was under the impression that International Rugby in Wales is ringfenced and cannot be aired on anything other than the freetoview by law

Used to be, but that changed in 2000, it’s now Cat B which means that pay stations can show the whole event lacking out terrestrial tv, but highlights have to be made available to free to air broadcaster.

England sold their TV rights to Sky or similar around the time they won the World Cup. I read somewhere they regretted it later because it didn’t generate the interest that they used to have when it was on the BBC and ITV etc and they felt they had missed out on opportunities to further develop the game in England.

The PL is doing well under Sky, but other sports who have gone to Sky appear (to me) to be withering, Cricket being 1 and now Pro 14 Rugby which has been replaced on the BBC and S4C by the Principality Premiership.
Login to get fewer ads

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 19:22 - Mar 8 with 1153 viewsMrSwerve

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 12:18 - Mar 8 by DafyddHuw

It's egg news.

Move along. Nothing tp see here.

If rugby is so massive in this area, why is there no Planet Ospreys? And for a team who plays in the equivalent of football's Prem, why are attendances so shit?

Jesus, posts like this are getting far too predictable and boring.

Some people on here don’t like rugby. Club rugby attendances are less than football. Some women wear daffodil hats at Wales games.

We. Fûcking. Get. It.

This is on the non-football board. I trust you will comment the same on every thread in here in due course.

Would be nice to have some intelligent debate on these threads rather than the usual clever twàts coming in and regurgitating the usual anti-rugby bollocks.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 19:35 - Mar 8 with 1138 viewsPozuelosSideys

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 13:49 - Mar 8 by majorraglan

Used to be, but that changed in 2000, it’s now Cat B which means that pay stations can show the whole event lacking out terrestrial tv, but highlights have to be made available to free to air broadcaster.

England sold their TV rights to Sky or similar around the time they won the World Cup. I read somewhere they regretted it later because it didn’t generate the interest that they used to have when it was on the BBC and ITV etc and they felt they had missed out on opportunities to further develop the game in England.

The PL is doing well under Sky, but other sports who have gone to Sky appear (to me) to be withering, Cricket being 1 and now Pro 14 Rugby which has been replaced on the BBC and S4C by the Principality Premiership.

Aye. But not for Wales tho - its different. Mind you, thats not to say the WRU couldnt lobby the regulator if there was cash in it - which is the disgusting way things are going these days. A2 is Wales 6 nations games

List A2

These events, generally seen as only important to one Home Nation, would have to be aired live in their entirety on a free-to-air channel in that nation only:

Association football:

FA Cup final (in England)
Scottish Cup final (in Scotland)
FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Football Championship qualifiers (in the respective nation)

Rugby union:

Wales Six Nations and internationals (in Wales)

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 21:14 - Mar 8 with 1083 viewsphact0rri

My problem with this "rugby world league" is that, it sort of makes the Rugby World Cup seem redundant, and at the same time omitting lower tier/lower financed nations.

I would rather see a Six nations that just expanded to the continent, and let the asian rugby collation and the Americas have their own competitions and we can all get together for the world cup. I know there's not as many countries who have a rugby team as there is for football, but surely this could still work.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 20:04 - Mar 9 with 931 viewsdickythorpe

Italy were poor today. England stuffed them with what was an experimental approach.
Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 20:58 - Mar 9 with 910 viewsJonathans_coat

Promotion/relegation from Six Nations on 20:04 - Mar 9 by dickythorpe

Italy were poor today. England stuffed them with what was an experimental approach.

Italy are very frustrating. They have shown glimpses of improvement over 2003 - 2015 period, but over the last 5 years they have been consistently mediocre. Maybe the threat of relegation will be enough to push the FIR to make some “root and branch” improvements to rugby in Italy.

Hopefully the “carrot” of promotion will also give a real and meaningful incentive for the unions of Georgia and the other “second 6 nations” countries to delvelop the game further in their countries.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024