Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread 17:31 - Mar 11 with 45416 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 13 Mar 2019 19:08]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 15:29 - Mar 15 with 1297 viewsLeonWasGod

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 15:23 - Mar 15 by jasper_T

No one has talked up Clement and Carvalhal, me especially. That's an extraordinarily low bar to clear, and Potter would still be due pelters for barely clearing it, "cutting him some slack" or not.

You agree he's not above blame but are still getting very upset whenever someone sends some blame his way. It's not like people are on here screaming "Potter out!" every week. Posters are criticising specific flaws in what he's doing, and our current position in the table.

He's got a long way to go and a lot left to prove. To be by all appearances out of the playoff hunt at this stage is poor.

After all the changes in the summer and the squad he's been left with I think playoff ambitions would be wildly optimistic. Sadly.

Maybe if Fer and Ollie had been available all season we'd be knocking on the door.

Anyway, we are where we are.
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 15:31 - Mar 15 with 1297 viewsjasper_T

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 14:02 - Mar 15 by TailGunner

So we sell all our best players, replace with nothing but untried kids and Potter in his first year is expected to be top 6 for you?

But it's truly remarkable for Bristol City to be up there, a bigger club in every aspect?
With a more experienced football league manager.??

Weird. Or maybe not ....

This is not a strong division. Players emerge at 18/19/20 years old and go on to sell for tens of millions every year. Look at Norwich's first team. Max Aarons has been a professional less than 12 months.

"Nothing but untried kids" is an overstatement and a half. Dan James is the only truly untried one in the bunch, and he's been excellent. McBurnie a proven goalscorer in this league. Grimes several full senior seasons under his belt. Even the fringe players Potter hasn't had to rely on like Byers and Harries played senior football years ago (Byers in a Championship promotion season).

Rodon kept CCV out of the team on form. Roberts kept Naughton out on ability. Grimes over Carroll the same. Routledge and Dyer were excluded by Potter's own choice. He's been given less thanb we're used to as a spoiled PL fanbase but compared to the average "tear it up and start again" Championship club roster we had every right to be in the playoff discussion if Potter was truly getting everything possible out of his players, as many fans still claim.
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:07 - Mar 15 with 1268 viewsvetchonian

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 15:23 - Mar 15 by jasper_T

No one has talked up Clement and Carvalhal, me especially. That's an extraordinarily low bar to clear, and Potter would still be due pelters for barely clearing it, "cutting him some slack" or not.

You agree he's not above blame but are still getting very upset whenever someone sends some blame his way. It's not like people are on here screaming "Potter out!" every week. Posters are criticising specific flaws in what he's doing, and our current position in the table.

He's got a long way to go and a lot left to prove. To be by all appearances out of the playoff hunt at this stage is poor.

I was referring to Clement and Carvahal as they were our two previous managers....who had more experience than Potter in the EFL and on paper better resources at their disposal.

I get upset as it is he alone who appears to be blamed for us not being in the play offs....I too have criticisied him buit he does now appear to be "sticking" to a team though his selection at goalie is questionable!

How given the chaos nad change that has happened in the summer and this season around the team anyone sensible fan beleived the play offs should have been a "given " this season is beyond me. Yes ifs and buts allowing it could be said but for some of Potters decisions we might be there if what we as fans think what he should have could have done had worked. Was it his fault we ended up losing at Rotherham....have the dodgy decsions made by officials , or the penalties not scored , chances not taken by the players on the pitch his fault?

I am dissapointed we are not at least in the hunt but realistically given the carnage and flux during the off seasonI am not surpruised. There has been a lot happening off the field, job losses in non playing areas this all will contribute to unsettling players.YOu yourself have talked about the "mishandling" of contract talks with these U23 "stars!" you have been lauding and who have stepped up to the plate in fairness. Mostof the teams above us have the luxury of having been in some sort of "settled " state,are "big" clubs like Forest,or have Managers like Bielsa.

Potter does have a long way to go and a lot to prove and he says so himself....but get a grip realisitically the plays offs for us with this squad......Ollie a proven scorer but has not been available for several games....what is our back up? Had Ollie played against Norwich and WBA I am sure there would have been different outcomes....is that Potters fault?

He has lots to answer for but he is not totally to blame for our current league position..and as our manager deserves some support.....but then I suppose you get your job right all day every day

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:13 - Mar 15 with 1265 viewsjackrmee

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 11:26 - Mar 15 by vetchonian

I cant work you out!

I cant understand all the grief Potter is getting...yes he has made some strange decisions around slelections earlier in the season....but now he does seem to be trying to kepp a "settled" side...given the cards he has dealt. I would expect HJ did brief Potter about a return to the "Swansea Way" ....remember HJ always talked about having a "dossier" of potential future managers who would play the attractive style we wanted so I guess this was talked about when he joined.Thus the preferred selection of Nordfeldt,his use of the full backs as wingers in ganes such as Bolton where he used almost a frontline of Dan,Routs and Dyer all compact in the middle with Roberts and Naughton. I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt I am supporting him as the manager of my team....someone who is new to this league and dealing with loads of issues such as the quality he has to work with and the lack of experience amongst the talented youngsters..give the man a break he is one of the best managers we have had in recent times....I know that is not saying much but what we need now is some stability !

Here here! Couldn't have put it better myself.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:31 - Mar 15 with 1242 viewsjackrmee

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 12:08 - Mar 15 by vetchonian

Yes we should be better than 15th but we arent...some of it is down to some of Potters selections earlier in the season, some down to the players making silly mistakes,some down to our inability to take our chances in games such as the last two..we are creating more chances these days but appear incapable of converting them to goals...as has been said on here Dan James is one who has great pace and ability BUT struggles to finish

We have played Ollie out of position he never seems to be in the box enough.... we have a powder puff midfield especially without Fer..a defence often left exposed as a result..VDH is good bur Carter-Vickers is "dodgy" we are missing Rodon who I rate better than CV but still has a lot to learn..I have been watching the other teams for comparison...most of the other temas have some "old heads" who know how to "Play the game" ie how far far can we push the ref, cynical fouling , Ollie gets "beaten up " most games with the oppostion centre halves climping over him kicking him in the back of his shins etc...all the "youngsters " have been going through this learning curve.

Why am I wringing my hands it is beacuse for whatever reason most fans seem to think they know better than the manager..because they have watched so much football, or played themselves some even semi pro....playing doesnt make you a manager look at all the "great" players who have failed miserably when it has come to coaching/managing...I get peed off as fans seem no longer feel the need to support players or managers anynore but are quick to get on their backs.....we are in a state of change Potter is trying to work out what he can do with this paper thin squad whilst at the same time exposing some of our talented U23s who have been used to playing players form PL sides who are younger than them to having to come up against some seasoned cynical pros in a competetive league

I am not blaming it all on HJ but I would imagine it is in Potters mind that the club and its fans expect to see that "attractive possesion" style of football we became known for
But then fans are never happy I have sat amongst those who have said they would prefer to lose and see us playing nice football rather than lose playing what we had been served up since 2016! I am sure given time and the resource Potter will give us that ....again where were Norwich this time last season where are they now?? What did the Norwich fans say after that game they could see us repeating what they have done....our problem will be no doubt will be missing quite a few of the talented players next season!

It doesn't really matter if we are 15th or 11th or 9th. We still aint going up or down. The most important thing is the players and manager learning, and experience being gained surely?

I agree totally. GP is our manager because he knows better than us. We need to trust in him and support him. If he thinks that Nordfeldt needs to be in goal then he is doing it for a reason. If he thinks that Grimes needs to shift back to left back during a game, he's doing it for a reason.
I'm sure he's realised a few times that he's fuked up by trying the wrong thing at the wrong time, but like Jasper said, he's been honest and held his hands up. There's no way this squad is ready to go back up to the prem, so now is the time to experiment, create versatility and find out who's capable of what. Like vetchonian says, we can see him starting to play a more settled team. We still have things to work on, but it's not an emergency and although it would be nice to see some improvement in the silly goals we concede and the finishing, I am happy with what I see, I'm happy with Potter and I trust and believe that he and the players we have here have the ability and potential to fix the issues we have. I don't care when they do it or how long it takes, as long as it happens. Keeping on slagging and moaning isn't going to make things any better at all. Like I've said before, sit back and watch. Enjoy the ride. Or endure it. But moaning aint helping.

Personally, I'm not judging Potter on a game by game basis and I don't think anyone should. We should be judging him on where we are at the end of his contract, or in 4 transfer windows like he apparently said.

I'm not saying people shouldn't express their ideas and say what they would have done in his situation, but slagging any of our staff off for trying their best is pathetic. Give the guy a break. He's a great manager imo and I just hope we can hold on to him when things start clicking.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:35 - Mar 15 with 1241 viewsjackrmee

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 12:22 - Mar 15 by jasper_T

So it's just the players that are failing, and Potter's been perfect?

We've dropped a lot of points due to his decisions, be it changing winning sides & formulas, refusing to make subs until so late in games that we'd lost leads in games we managed to start well, playing fcking Nordfeldt etc.

You're right, the table doesn't lie. Potter not done a great job. There are younger, less experienced managers working with less mney and talent than him who have a higher point total.

How do we know if he's done a great job though? Behind the scenes like. We aren't going up, but that was never the plan anyway. The plan is for a few years down the line. How do you know what is going to happen then, so how can you judge him on a job that he has not even half completed?
It's like saying "that's a fuking shit bridge, cars can't even drive over it, sack the architect!", when the bridge is only half built. It might be the new wonder of the world when it gets finished in a few years time mun

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:39 - Mar 15 with 1240 viewsjackrmee

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 12:33 - Mar 15 by TailGunner

He's made mistakes, it's his first year in s high pressures job. So have all other managers

You were warned that this squad was paper thin and nowhere near strong enough time after time, and would suffer as season went on. People were saying this when we were knocking on top 6.

Tables don't lie.

I don' think Fergie would get this squad into the top 6.

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:40 - Mar 15 with 1239 viewsjasper_T

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:07 - Mar 15 by vetchonian

I was referring to Clement and Carvahal as they were our two previous managers....who had more experience than Potter in the EFL and on paper better resources at their disposal.

I get upset as it is he alone who appears to be blamed for us not being in the play offs....I too have criticisied him buit he does now appear to be "sticking" to a team though his selection at goalie is questionable!

How given the chaos nad change that has happened in the summer and this season around the team anyone sensible fan beleived the play offs should have been a "given " this season is beyond me. Yes ifs and buts allowing it could be said but for some of Potters decisions we might be there if what we as fans think what he should have could have done had worked. Was it his fault we ended up losing at Rotherham....have the dodgy decsions made by officials , or the penalties not scored , chances not taken by the players on the pitch his fault?

I am dissapointed we are not at least in the hunt but realistically given the carnage and flux during the off seasonI am not surpruised. There has been a lot happening off the field, job losses in non playing areas this all will contribute to unsettling players.YOu yourself have talked about the "mishandling" of contract talks with these U23 "stars!" you have been lauding and who have stepped up to the plate in fairness. Mostof the teams above us have the luxury of having been in some sort of "settled " state,are "big" clubs like Forest,or have Managers like Bielsa.

Potter does have a long way to go and a lot to prove and he says so himself....but get a grip realisitically the plays offs for us with this squad......Ollie a proven scorer but has not been available for several games....what is our back up? Had Ollie played against Norwich and WBA I am sure there would have been different outcomes....is that Potters fault?

He has lots to answer for but he is not totally to blame for our current league position..and as our manager deserves some support.....but then I suppose you get your job right all day every day

Yes, a good share of the blame for the Rotherham result falls to Potter. The whole second half was a gradual decline as our players visibly tired and they adapted first to our threats and then started to create pressure of their own (without which they never get those penalties).

Potter didn't make a sub or change of shape until we were down and the game was gone. It was very poor game management, and was obvious at the time, not simply in hindsight. You expect better from a man with as many promotions and cup successes under his belt as he has. Paul Warne evidently the better manager on the day.

If you add up the number of games we started with a poor/experimental/daft lineup that had to be fixed at half time by reverting to the norm, and the games where we started really well but Potter did nothing to address the changing patterns of the game, you'll easily find the 6-9 points needed to propel us from a poor season to a good one. We led the league for points gained/thrown away from losing/winning positions (and maybe still do, I haven't seen those numbers for a while).
Login to get fewer ads

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:43 - Mar 15 with 1239 viewsjackrmee

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 13:26 - Mar 15 by jasper_T

They're being rewarded now. In the play off hunt, which is remarkable for a club of their stature.

Being rewarded for sticking with a manager who was inexperienced in this league and struggling for results in their first season? Duw duw.

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:46 - Mar 15 with 1238 viewsjackrmee

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 13:16 - Mar 15 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Potter has been a manager for 7+ years hasn't he? He didn't start last August.

Oh here he is mun

Been a manager for 7 years and haven't they been absolutely remarkable? Doubt you'll hear any Ostersunds fans slagging the guy off for those 7 years.

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:56 - Mar 15 with 1233 viewsjackrmee

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:40 - Mar 15 by jasper_T

Yes, a good share of the blame for the Rotherham result falls to Potter. The whole second half was a gradual decline as our players visibly tired and they adapted first to our threats and then started to create pressure of their own (without which they never get those penalties).

Potter didn't make a sub or change of shape until we were down and the game was gone. It was very poor game management, and was obvious at the time, not simply in hindsight. You expect better from a man with as many promotions and cup successes under his belt as he has. Paul Warne evidently the better manager on the day.

If you add up the number of games we started with a poor/experimental/daft lineup that had to be fixed at half time by reverting to the norm, and the games where we started really well but Potter did nothing to address the changing patterns of the game, you'll easily find the 6-9 points needed to propel us from a poor season to a good one. We led the league for points gained/thrown away from losing/winning positions (and maybe still do, I haven't seen those numbers for a while).

Again, "on the day". People make mistakes and I'm sure GP would admit to one there. However, that day means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Will it affect our promostion to the premier league in a couple of years? I argue that it quite possibly could, in a positive manner by Potter making that mistake early on, in a meaningless season.

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 17:16 - Mar 15 with 1225 viewsTailGunner

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 15:31 - Mar 15 by jasper_T

This is not a strong division. Players emerge at 18/19/20 years old and go on to sell for tens of millions every year. Look at Norwich's first team. Max Aarons has been a professional less than 12 months.

"Nothing but untried kids" is an overstatement and a half. Dan James is the only truly untried one in the bunch, and he's been excellent. McBurnie a proven goalscorer in this league. Grimes several full senior seasons under his belt. Even the fringe players Potter hasn't had to rely on like Byers and Harries played senior football years ago (Byers in a Championship promotion season).

Rodon kept CCV out of the team on form. Roberts kept Naughton out on ability. Grimes over Carroll the same. Routledge and Dyer were excluded by Potter's own choice. He's been given less thanb we're used to as a spoiled PL fanbase but compared to the average "tear it up and start again" Championship club roster we had every right to be in the playoff discussion if Potter was truly getting everything possible out of his players, as many fans still claim.

The championship is the hardest toughest challenge of the lot. Frank Lampard said the same this week.
You really should learn. You need experience and physical strength back up to survive.
McBurnie 1/3 season.
Grimes failed at this level.

Rodon couldn't get in Cheltenham side.
James sent back by Shrews

Well done potter for improving these players & getting them to perform at this level.
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:17 - Mar 15 with 1203 viewsjasper_T

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 17:16 - Mar 15 by TailGunner

The championship is the hardest toughest challenge of the lot. Frank Lampard said the same this week.
You really should learn. You need experience and physical strength back up to survive.
McBurnie 1/3 season.
Grimes failed at this level.

Rodon couldn't get in Cheltenham side.
James sent back by Shrews

Well done potter for improving these players & getting them to perform at this level.

Joe Rodon started 12 games in 3-4 months at Cheltenham. He wasn't highly regarded but let's not tell fibs to try to prove a point.

DJ was sent back because their coach valued strength and experience over talent. Debatably the right choice for them at the time as they were on a tear and very nearly went up, but who from that team is worth over £10m now?

Comparing loan spells to games played with a club you've been at for years, with established relationships with teammates and coaches... It's hardly a definitive marker of (lack of) quality. There's no doubt in my mind that Joe and DJ could have stepped up to the Championship last season or even perhaps the one before if we'd gone down sooner. The talent and quality were there, they just needed a short run of games in a good environment to adapt.
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:19 - Mar 15 with 1201 viewsjasper_T

Okay Dean Henderson might be worth £10m.
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:27 - Mar 15 with 1199 viewsTailGunner

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:17 - Mar 15 by jasper_T

Joe Rodon started 12 games in 3-4 months at Cheltenham. He wasn't highly regarded but let's not tell fibs to try to prove a point.

DJ was sent back because their coach valued strength and experience over talent. Debatably the right choice for them at the time as they were on a tear and very nearly went up, but who from that team is worth over £10m now?

Comparing loan spells to games played with a club you've been at for years, with established relationships with teammates and coaches... It's hardly a definitive marker of (lack of) quality. There's no doubt in my mind that Joe and DJ could have stepped up to the Championship last season or even perhaps the one before if we'd gone down sooner. The talent and quality were there, they just needed a short run of games in a good environment to adapt.

Let's deal with facts not what could have been or may have been in your mind.

Potter gave them all w chance and improved those who had struggled previously.
You should ask the players what they think of him....not Alan Nixon.
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:53 - Mar 15 with 1190 viewsjasper_T

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:27 - Mar 15 by TailGunner

Let's deal with facts not what could have been or may have been in your mind.

Potter gave them all w chance and improved those who had struggled previously.
You should ask the players what they think of him....not Alan Nixon.

Did Nixon block you on Twitter? Why do you keep bringing him up?
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:17 - Mar 15 with 1183 viewsTailGunner

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:53 - Mar 15 by jasper_T

Did Nixon block you on Twitter? Why do you keep bringing him up?

You seem to get all your info inspiration & info from Google wiki or Nixon.

James himself today says it 'didn't really work out at Shrewsbury. I didn't play and was quite down on myself about it. I had a good season with the under 23s my expectations were high but I didn't get picked and came home early.'

There you go.
Hope he signs a new deal to bump up his fee.
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:41 - Mar 15 with 1168 viewsjasper_T

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:17 - Mar 15 by TailGunner

You seem to get all your info inspiration & info from Google wiki or Nixon.

James himself today says it 'didn't really work out at Shrewsbury. I didn't play and was quite down on myself about it. I had a good season with the under 23s my expectations were high but I didn't get picked and came home early.'

There you go.
Hope he signs a new deal to bump up his fee.

I've been banging on about our current players for years, both on here and elsewhere.

But yeah I google a lot of stuff, why wouldn't I? Beats making sht up.
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:47 - Mar 15 with 1164 viewsvetchonian

I give in it's all Potters fault despite he has been at the club for only 8 months .
The players when on the pitch shoot straight to the keeper because the gaffer told them to
Despite all the upheaval we have been through since the end of last season we have still competed and the signs are there of hope for the future.
You obviously have a downer on our manager who most recognise has made many mistakes...but answer me this do you really believe Lee Johnson had he arrived at this current basket case of a club in the summer would have us in the play offs?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 20:17 - Mar 15 with 1142 viewsItchySphincter

Bit of an embarrassing thread for you, eh Risca?
[Post edited 16 Mar 2019 6:49]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 20:19 - Mar 15 with 1142 viewsjasper_T

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:47 - Mar 15 by vetchonian

I give in it's all Potters fault despite he has been at the club for only 8 months .
The players when on the pitch shoot straight to the keeper because the gaffer told them to
Despite all the upheaval we have been through since the end of last season we have still competed and the signs are there of hope for the future.
You obviously have a downer on our manager who most recognise has made many mistakes...but answer me this do you really believe Lee Johnson had he arrived at this current basket case of a club in the summer would have us in the play offs?

There's middle ground between "all Potter's fault" and you throwing a wobbler every time someone dares to criticise him (even though you seem to agree with most of the criticisms made).

I believe a manager doing a great job and getting everything out of our squad would have us in the discussion if not top six proper at this stage, yes. Potter's not done that.

If Lee Johnson starts the season using Dyer and Routledge instead of banishing them to play Asoro and McKay he'd have had every chance.
The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 23:57 - Mar 15 with 1114 viewsjackrmee

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:47 - Mar 15 by vetchonian

And competed with the best teams in this league. If it wasn't for so many silly individual mistakes I reckon we would be challenging at the top. With a squad like we have, that's absolutely remarkable. I'm well chuffed we've been lucky enough to get Potter. Not only a great manager, but an honest and genuine nice guy by the looks of it.

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 06:57 - Mar 16 with 1074 viewsTNT

Maybe you'd prefer to have the Rotherham manager and be in the bottom three of this pile of shit?

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 07:00 - Mar 16 with 1069 viewsTNT

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 16:46 - Mar 15 by jackrmee

Oh here he is mun

Been a manager for 7 years and haven't they been absolutely remarkable? Doubt you'll hear any Ostersunds fans slagging the guy off for those 7 years.

That's a fair enough comment.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:27 - Mar 16 with 1047 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

The Official WBA vs Swansea City Match Thread on 07:00 - Mar 16 by TNT

That's a fair enough comment.

His success in Sweden means absolutely nothing. If he had seven years of success in The Championship it would mean something.

As it stands his record in England consists of underperforming with an average Swansea City side, with his tenure being defined so far as one of wild team selections week in, week out.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024