Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cojones the size of watermelons... 18:10 - Mar 22 with 4117 viewsBrynCartwright

on old warriors like this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47672816

Very few of these gents left now. There were 2 I used to talk to in Mam's care home, both long gone. Amazing tales to tell.

RIP.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 18:46 - Mar 22 with 3199 viewsFlashberryjack

Very brave men indeed...respect

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 19:11 - Mar 22 with 3165 viewstheloneranger

RIP ... Mr Glenville Jones

"A SOLDIER'S FINAL INSPECTION"

The soldier stood and faced God
Which must always come to pass
He hoped his shoes were shining
Just as brightly as his brass

"Step forward now you soldier
How shall I deal with you ?
Have you always turned the other cheek ?
To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said
"No Lord, I guess I haven't
Because those of us who carry guns
Can't always be a saint

I've had to work most Sundays
And at times my talk was tough
And sometimes I've been violent
Because the world is awfully rough

But I never took a penny
That wasn't mine to keep
Though I worked a lot of time
and the bills got just too steep

And I never passed a cry for help
Though at times I shook with fear
And sometimes...God.. forgive me
I've wept unmanly tears

I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here
They never wanted me around
Except to calm their fears

If you've a place for me here Lord
It needn't be so grand
I never expected or had too much
But if you don't, I'll understand"

There was a silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod
As the soldier waited quietly
For the judgment of his God

"Step forward now you soldier
You've borne your burdens well
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets
You've done your time in Hell"...!!

"To All That Serve "

Author ... Sgt. Joshua Helterbran
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 21:52]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 19:13 - Mar 22 with 3160 viewsjack2jack

RIP Mr Jones
Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:33 - Mar 22 with 3108 viewsleighton1318

Massive respect ... I’m 50something now but I might well not be, were it not for hundreds of people like him. Giants.

Time in a care home (as a visitor) humbles you a little bit, doesn’t it? My Dad was in Brynfield Manor for quite a long time.
Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:41 - Mar 22 with 3100 viewsTreforys_Jack

The spot they put the glider down was astonishing. RIP
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 22:32]
Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:42 - Mar 22 with 3098 viewsBrynCartwright

I just think of him, as a youngster, sat in a Jeep, on a glider with no engines, flying into battle against the German war machine. Pure "Victor" and "Commando" stuff!

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:45 - Mar 22 with 3093 viewswestwalesed

The thing that amazes me most about that generation was the absolute loyalty to country, family and something bigger or more important than themselves. Principle. Pride.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:54 - Mar 22 with 3075 viewsBrynCartwright

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:45 - Mar 22 by westwalesed

The thing that amazes me most about that generation was the absolute loyalty to country, family and something bigger or more important than themselves. Principle. Pride.

I think loyalty to country has something to do with it, but what is most important is a belief in what is right and what is wrong. Principles and pride are luxuries.

The UK is different now to how it was in the 30s and 40s but we are still a free- thinking democracy and, even though our politicians are being a bit shit at the moment, when push comes to shove, we can still defend freedom

Login to get fewer ads

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 22:11 - Mar 22 with 3056 viewsmajorraglan

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:42 - Mar 22 by BrynCartwright

I just think of him, as a youngster, sat in a Jeep, on a glider with no engines, flying into battle against the German war machine. Pure "Victor" and "Commando" stuff!

Massive respect, RIP sir.

Went to Normandy with the wife and kids 18 months agog didn’t stayed abut 300 yards from Pegasus Bridge. When you actually learn about the bravery of the young men, the sacrifice made its very humbling. We owe his generation a great deal.
Cojones the size of watermelons... on 07:29 - Mar 23 with 2994 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:54 - Mar 22 by BrynCartwright

I think loyalty to country has something to do with it, but what is most important is a belief in what is right and what is wrong. Principles and pride are luxuries.

The UK is different now to how it was in the 30s and 40s but we are still a free- thinking democracy and, even though our politicians are being a bit shit at the moment, when push comes to shove, we can still defend freedom

I love reading about such brave and selfless men and women who fought so hard to defend this beautiful land of ours. Apparently the Chinese words for Great Britain are “Hero Country”. Words well chosen !
In the current bun fight over Brexit and the nigh on 2 years of being told how sh*t our country is by the remainders stories like his serve as a massive reminder of how “Great” Britain was and how it can be great again as long as we all work together to achieve that goal.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 07:58 - Mar 23 with 2979 viewsKilkennyjack

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 07:29 - Mar 23 by Brynmill_Jack

I love reading about such brave and selfless men and women who fought so hard to defend this beautiful land of ours. Apparently the Chinese words for Great Britain are “Hero Country”. Words well chosen !
In the current bun fight over Brexit and the nigh on 2 years of being told how sh*t our country is by the remainders stories like his serve as a massive reminder of how “Great” Britain was and how it can be great again as long as we all work together to achieve that goal.

Chinese use meiguoren for 'American person', which translates, somewhat ironically given their long standoffs, as 'lovely country person'.

English people are yingguoren, which means 'hero country person'.

Frenchmen are faguoren, which means 'law country person'.

An Italian is an yidaliguoren, which translates as 'one hundred million big advantages country person'.

Only a quick search, but I could not find anything about Wales, uk, or Great Britain.

Beware of the Risen People

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 08:04 - Mar 23 with 2974 viewsKilkennyjack

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 07:29 - Mar 23 by Brynmill_Jack

You do know that the ‘Great’ in Great Britain refers to the largest island in the British Isles don’t you ?

Its not ‘great’ as in better than good.

Beware of the Risen People

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 08:06 - Mar 23 with 2971 viewsLord_Bony

Coming to the last survivors of Ww2 soon.

RIP Mr. Jones

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 10:41 - Mar 23 with 2890 viewsdickythorpe

We don't know we are born. RIP

Good article.
Cojones the size of watermelons... on 12:29 - Mar 23 with 2858 viewsThrasher6

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:54 - Mar 22 by BrynCartwright

Good post Bryn...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 13:34 - Mar 23 with 2830 viewsWingstandwood

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 21:42 - Mar 22 by BrynCartwright

There was a sadly departed local Gorseinon guy a i.e. Mr Lazenby who was one of 'The Originals' of the SAS who served behind enemy lines during WW2. Basically he was partaking in jeep mounted suicide missions i.e. an easy target for both Luftwaffe fighters and heavily armoured German counter patrols.

He was in his elderly years and was treated to a V.I.P status visit to Hereford base and latter flown out to Northern Ireland base by helicopter. The likes of him are seen as kings amongst men by kith and kin.

He had a great sense of humour also! When asked in SAS interview why he wanted to join the SAS he joked that he prefered to fly over enemy lines so he could sneak up behind and kill the enemy finding it a safer option. I guess his humour impressed his superiors, he got the gig. Of course he was only joking cos the reality was worse because danger aside the Nazis tended to execute many SAS operatives, many times taking no prisoners.

A sense of humour was imperative for all WW2 Tommy's they'd crack up otherwise. Thats why so many old soldiers are great characters and company. Sadly missed each and everyone!

Argus!

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 14:49 - Mar 23 with 2783 viewsLohengrin

It’s probably just as well the old boy didn’t live to see one hundred as by then they would probably be looking to prosecute him for ‘hate crime’ against Germans.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 14:53 - Mar 23 with 2772 viewsHighjack

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 14:49 - Mar 23 by Lohengrin

It’s probably just as well the old boy didn’t live to see one hundred as by then they would probably be looking to prosecute him for ‘hate crime’ against Germans.

Aye or having the vote taken off him because "it's not his future"

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 14:56 - Mar 23 with 2768 viewsLohengrin

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 14:53 - Mar 23 by Highjack

Aye or having the vote taken off him because "it's not his future"

Who does he think he is, eh? He doesn’t even go to Glastonbury.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 15:21 - Mar 23 with 2739 viewstheloneranger

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 13:34 - Mar 23 by Wingstandwood

There was a sadly departed local Gorseinon guy a i.e. Mr Lazenby who was one of 'The Originals' of the SAS who served behind enemy lines during WW2. Basically he was partaking in jeep mounted suicide missions i.e. an easy target for both Luftwaffe fighters and heavily armoured German counter patrols.

He was in his elderly years and was treated to a V.I.P status visit to Hereford base and latter flown out to Northern Ireland base by helicopter. The likes of him are seen as kings amongst men by kith and kin.

He had a great sense of humour also! When asked in SAS interview why he wanted to join the SAS he joked that he prefered to fly over enemy lines so he could sneak up behind and kill the enemy finding it a safer option. I guess his humour impressed his superiors, he got the gig. Of course he was only joking cos the reality was worse because danger aside the Nazis tended to execute many SAS operatives, many times taking no prisoners.

A sense of humour was imperative for all WW2 Tommy's they'd crack up otherwise. Thats why so many old soldiers are great characters and company. Sadly missed each and everyone!

Here's a list of the original SAS men who took part in their first mission "Operation Squatter", and Sgt. Ralph Lazenby, 8038479, Scots Guards, 8 (Guards) Commando attached to L Det was one of them!!

Of the 64 men who took part, only 22 returned.

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/sas-originals.26989/page-2

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 15:24 - Mar 23 with 2736 viewsWingstandwood

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 15:21 - Mar 23 by theloneranger

Here's a list of the original SAS men who took part in their first mission "Operation Squatter", and Sgt. Ralph Lazenby, 8038479, Scots Guards, 8 (Guards) Commando attached to L Det was one of them!!

That is indeed him, great link! Fantastic!

Argus!

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 16:30 - Mar 23 with 2667 viewsFlashberryjack

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 15:21 - Mar 23 by theloneranger

I was very friendly with one of those guys mentioned " Leadbetter" Harold was his first name, big tall man he was and wouldn't take sh*t from anyone.

He was pretty badly shot up by the Germans in one raid, and was left for dead, anyway he told me that when he came round he was being looked after by nuns, and for days they only had condensed milk to feed him on (he wouldn't touch the stuff afterwards) always said they saved his life, he was later repatriated at the end of the war and lived 4 houses away from me.

He ended up as a long distance lorry driver with a firm from Neath, I went on a few trips with him, he told me a few stories (which I thought were a bit far fetched to be honest) then I saw him on "This is your life" I think it was about the founder of the SAS, and realised he was telling me the truth.

Hi wife Glenys passed away about 19 years ago and sadly he followed her a few years later.

Hello

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 17:01 - Mar 23 with 2629 viewstheloneranger

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 16:30 - Mar 23 by Flashberryjack

I was very friendly with one of those guys mentioned " Leadbetter" Harold was his first name, big tall man he was and wouldn't take sh*t from anyone.

He was pretty badly shot up by the Germans in one raid, and was left for dead, anyway he told me that when he came round he was being looked after by nuns, and for days they only had condensed milk to feed him on (he wouldn't touch the stuff afterwards) always said they saved his life, he was later repatriated at the end of the war and lived 4 houses away from me.

He ended up as a long distance lorry driver with a firm from Neath, I went on a few trips with him, he told me a few stories (which I thought were a bit far fetched to be honest) then I saw him on "This is your life" I think it was about the founder of the SAS, and realised he was telling me the truth.

Hi wife Glenys passed away about 19 years ago and sadly he followed her a few years later.

Harold Leadbetter (Leadbeater) ... Here's Harold talking about his life and exploits.

There are 3 different tape recordings, which last over 1 hour ... What a character

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80016855

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 17:31 - Mar 23 with 2592 viewsFlashberryjack

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 17:01 - Mar 23 by theloneranger

Harold Leadbetter (Leadbeater) ... Here's Harold talking about his life and exploits.

There are 3 different tape recordings, which last over 1 hour ... What a character

Thanks ever so much for that mate, I'm just going out now, I'll listen to the other tapes later

Hello

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 11:33 - Mar 24 with 2435 viewsFlashberryjack

Cojones the size of watermelons... on 17:01 - Mar 23 by theloneranger

Is there only one tape of Harold ?

Hello

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024