Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recommend me a bike 16:35 - Mar 27 with 11600 viewsBLAZE

I've become a right chubber and reckon a bike will help me get fitter

Don't really wanna spend more than a couple hundred quid. Am I being unrealistic at that price?

Thank you
Recommend me a bike on 22:06 - Mar 27 with 9191 viewsPacemaker

The first bike I bought cost me £179 from Halfords on a sale deal. It was a Carerra Mountain Bike I still have it and I did hundreds of miles doing the cycle tracks from my home and back.

As I got fitter and wanted to go further I bought a better bike on a cycle to work scheme in work by which time I was cycling 45 miles a day and I had lost about 25kg in weight.

Bikes of this type can be bought from about £500-£1000. If you travel around the UK and get near a a Decathlon store their Btwin bike are very good value. Boardman bikes, Planet X are also reasonably priced high spec bikes.

You need to decide what you want the bike for and where you are going to ride it.

Great way to get fit and lose weight.....however you can’t out exercise bad eating habits so if you want to lose weight it has to go hand in hand with altering what you eat and drink. Put in less and burn off more.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Recommend me a bike on 22:50 - Mar 27 with 9156 viewsAndy1300

Look to spend a minimum of around £400

Depending on what you want to do with it will decide what type of bike you need.

A flat bar road based bike or road based hybrid would be best

Take a look at www.tredz.co.uk or call in the shop

Number 1 team in Wales

Recommend me a bike on 23:18 - Mar 27 with 9135 viewsmajorraglan

I paid a couple of hundred quid for a Dimondback mountain bike 20 years ago and it’s still going strong. It’s tidy off road, but not so good on the tarmac with its chunky tyres. Kids have Carrera Road bikes from Halfords, for what you pay they are reasonable bits of kit, they have thinner wheels/tyres than the old mountain bike but are more robust and hold up better than the tyres on road bikes or racers as we used to call them back in the day.

I also have a road bike, it’s a Giant and cost me £200 second hand. It’s a really nice bike, has the slim tyres and a seat like a razor! You could try looking on Gumtree or E bay as there are usually plenty of bikes for sale. Before buying, have a good think about what type of cycling you are likely to do.
Recommend me a bike on 00:11 - Mar 28 with 9110 viewsEbo

Get one of these

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Recommend me a bike on 01:28 - Mar 28 with 9095 viewsBLAZE

Probably just going to be used on cycle tracks, at least for now anyway. Went out on a road bike a few years ago but didn't like it. As a teenager I was into mountain biking and feel more used to them

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/giant-mountain-bike-/1334833550

How does this look?
Recommend me a bike on 01:30 - Mar 28 with 9094 viewsBLAZE

I'm 5'11" by the way, would the above bike be the right size?

Edit. Nevermind. I think it's a kids bike
[Post edited 28 Mar 2019 3:20]
Recommend me a bike on 05:53 - Mar 28 with 9055 viewsPacemaker

Recommend me a bike on 01:30 - Mar 28 by BLAZE

I'm 5'11" by the way, would the above bike be the right size?

Edit. Nevermind. I think it's a kids bike
[Post edited 28 Mar 2019 3:20]

Tredz have a handy size calculator here.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/size-guides/mountain-bikes

It’s as much as about your inside leg as height.

Your probably going to be in the M/L size frame of about 18 or 19” frame.

I know plenty have bought a good quality bike off Gumtree.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Recommend me a bike on 06:22 - Mar 28 with 9030 viewsBLAZE

Thanks for that

As I'm mainly going to be on cycle paths, do you think a hybrid will be better than a mountain bike?
Login to get fewer ads

Recommend me a bike on 06:58 - Mar 28 with 9019 viewslifelong

Buy a good pair of walking trainers and walk a few miles a day, the weight will drop off.
Recommend me a bike on 07:10 - Mar 28 with 9012 viewsBLAZE

Recommend me a bike on 06:58 - Mar 28 by lifelong

Buy a good pair of walking trainers and walk a few miles a day, the weight will drop off.

Yes, that's what I've always done in the past and plan to do now. I'm going for a two-pronged attack this time, I need it
Recommend me a bike on 07:12 - Mar 28 with 9004 viewsBLAZE

Recommend me a bike on 06:22 - Mar 28 by BLAZE

Thanks for that

As I'm mainly going to be on cycle paths, do you think a hybrid will be better than a mountain bike?

Sorry for all the questions but how does this look? Seems they retail for around the £450 mark. I'd try and get it sub £200

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/cannondale-trail-6-2017/1334724742
Recommend me a bike on 07:16 - Mar 28 with 8990 viewsdickythorpe

What about an exercise bike? A fraction of the cost and safer.
Recommend me a bike on 07:26 - Mar 28 with 8980 viewsMrSwerve

Recommend me a bike on 07:16 - Mar 28 by dickythorpe

What about an exercise bike? A fraction of the cost and safer.

Cheaper exercise bikes are rubbish in my experience. If you want some resistance to actually test you, you need to spend £500+ on a good one. Depends on the fitness of the user I guess.

Best to get outdoors. Far better for mental health than being stuck in the house. I find I push myself harder when outside too.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Recommend me a bike on 07:36 - Mar 28 with 8965 viewsPegojack

Whichever bike you get, learn how to change your inner tube after a puncture, and carry the gear neccessary - spare tube, tyre lever, spanners if neccessary and pump (I've got a gas inflator). Nothing is more of a p*sser than getting a flat miles from home.
When you can afford it, buy Schwalbe Marathon tyres, German made and virtually puncture proof. They do tubes too.
Recommend me a bike on 07:40 - Mar 28 with 8959 viewsmagicdaps10

Get down to Halfords Aberavon, they had an array of bikes reduced one only. People reserve online, they build and the people dont turn up.

Also, if you do your homework and buy online, Sports direct have some good prices on Muddy fox bike's.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Recommend me a bike on 07:59 - Mar 28 with 8945 viewsBLAZE

Recommend me a bike on 07:40 - Mar 28 by magicdaps10

Get down to Halfords Aberavon, they had an array of bikes reduced one only. People reserve online, they build and the people dont turn up.

Also, if you do your homework and buy online, Sports direct have some good prices on Muddy fox bike's.

I'd assumed there's better value in the second hand market tbh Daps?
Recommend me a bike on 08:09 - Mar 28 with 8928 viewsPegojack

Recommend me a bike on 07:59 - Mar 28 by BLAZE

I'd assumed there's better value in the second hand market tbh Daps?

Check out Ebay. Bought mine there 9 years ago, still going strong. Specialized Sirrus Sport, aluminium frame road bike with flat handlebars, cost me £250, retails for around £450, it was one year old. Be prepared to travel to get a good deal though. I had estate car, no problem.
Recommend me a bike on 08:28 - Mar 28 with 8903 viewsowainglyndwr

Recommend me a bike on 01:28 - Mar 28 by BLAZE

Probably just going to be used on cycle tracks, at least for now anyway. Went out on a road bike a few years ago but didn't like it. As a teenager I was into mountain biking and feel more used to them

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/giant-mountain-bike-/1334833550

How does this look?

It's important to have the bike set up for your size.
Also personally I have seen road bike and a Trek mountain bike.
The mountain bike now has highbryde tyres which will give you more speed and easier on cycle tracks
Recommend me a bike on 09:49 - Mar 28 with 8853 viewsItchySphincter

Have you considered your eating habits. I train anywhere between three and five times a week and still managed to gain a couple of stone in two years due to work stress and poor meal choices/times. Just dropped 16 pounds in five weeks by sorting out my food.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Recommend me a bike on 11:17 - Mar 28 with 8814 viewsBLAZE

Yep, working on that too. Had a habit of comfort eating a bit (well... a lot actually) since I became unwell

Thanks for all the advice so far
Recommend me a bike on 11:19 - Mar 28 with 8809 viewsjacktheripper

Plenty to choose from in halfords. Plus they've got a 20% trade in offer. Better off trying bike for size rather than guessing
Recommend me a bike on 11:51 - Mar 28 with 8785 viewsJack_y_Jwc

Have you checked to see if your work offer a Cycle to Work scheme? Your work will buy the bike outright and you pay them back over a period of time before tax.

I ended up with a £750 road bike for about £430 (£36 per month for 12 months).

Recommend me a bike on 12:07 - Mar 28 with 8776 viewsLeonWasGod

15 grand. Bargain.
Recommend me a bike on 12:12 - Mar 28 with 8775 viewsBastion_Booger

I've dropped 30 pounds in 12 weeks on Slimming World and have just bought a bike myself on the Cycle to Work scheme

3 more stone to go
Recommend me a bike on 12:14 - Mar 28 with 8769 viewsLeonWasGod

Recommend me a bike on 22:06 - Mar 27 by Pacemaker

The first bike I bought cost me £179 from Halfords on a sale deal. It was a Carerra Mountain Bike I still have it and I did hundreds of miles doing the cycle tracks from my home and back.

As I got fitter and wanted to go further I bought a better bike on a cycle to work scheme in work by which time I was cycling 45 miles a day and I had lost about 25kg in weight.

Bikes of this type can be bought from about £500-£1000. If you travel around the UK and get near a a Decathlon store their Btwin bike are very good value. Boardman bikes, Planet X are also reasonably priced high spec bikes.

You need to decide what you want the bike for and where you are going to ride it.

Great way to get fit and lose weight.....however you can’t out exercise bad eating habits so if you want to lose weight it has to go hand in hand with altering what you eat and drink. Put in less and burn off more.

25kg! Good effort
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024