Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group 10:13 - Apr 4 with 5160 viewsBLAZE

Anybody else fancy trying this with me?

In the past I've tried to do too much, too soon which isn't an enjoyable experience and I inevitably give up before I see any benefits. But the Couch to 5K slowly builds your fitness over 9 weeks, taking you from essentially 0 running ability to 5K and beyond

You can either download and follow the podcasts here; https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/#download-nhs

Or download the app from;

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phe.couchto5K&hl=en_GB&referre

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/one-you-couch-to-5k/id1082307672?mt=8

[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 10:16]
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 10:14 - Apr 4 with 4153 viewsBLAZE

Taking up running can seem like a scary prospect, especially if you feel out of shape or unfit.

NHS Couch to 5K will help you gradually work up towards running 5K in just 9 weeks.

What is Couch to 5K?
Couch to 5K is a running plan for absolute beginners. It was developed by a new runner, Josh Clark, who wanted to help his 50-something mum get off the couch and start running, too.

The plan involves 3 runs a week, with a day of rest in between, and a different schedule for each of the 9 weeks.

How does Couch to 5K work?
Probably the biggest challenge a new runner faces is not knowing how or where to start.

Often when trying to get into exercise, we can overdo it, feel defeated and give up when we're just getting started.

Couch to 5K works because it starts with a mix of running and walking to gradually build up your fitness and stamina.

Week 1 involves running for just a minute at a time, creating realistic expectations and making the challenge feel achievable right from the start.

Who is Couch to 5K for?
Couch to 5K is for everyone. Whether you've never run before or if you just want to get more active, Couch to 5K is a free and easy way of getting fitter and healthier.

If you have any health concerns about beginning an exercise regime like Couch to 5K, make an appointment to see your GP and discuss it with them first.

What are the benefits?
There are plenty of benefits from getting into running. For starters, it's an easy way of improving your physical health.

Running requires little equipment, but a good pair of running shoes that suit your foot type may help improve comfort.

Running regularly will improve the health of your heart and lungs. It can also help you lose weight, especially if combined with a healthy diet.

There's evidence it may help increase bone density in some people, which can help protect against bone diseases like osteoporosis.

There are also mental benefits of running. Taking on the challenge of Couch to 5K can help boost your confidence and self-belief, as you prove to yourself that you can set yourself a target and achieve a goal.

Running regularly can also be a great stress reliever and has even been shown to combat depression.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 10:21]
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 10:15 - Apr 4 with 4151 viewsBLAZE

Name: James

Weight: 19.5st

Target weight: 13.5st (6st total loss)

Story: I'm a comfort eater who tends to go most of the day without eating, before binging on all the wrong foods late at night. My weight has yo-yo'd since leaving school but this is by far the heaviest I've been. The last 15 months has seen me gain 5 stone. It's also by far the unfittest I've been. 5k is a big ask but I'm looking forward to the challenge

Who's with me?
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 10:34]
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 10:54 - Apr 4 with 4095 viewsEbo

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 10:15 - Apr 4 by BLAZE

Story: I'm a comfort eater who tends to go most of the day without eating, before binging on all the wrong foods late at night. My weight has yo-yo'd since leaving school but this is by far the heaviest I've been. The last 15 months has seen me gain 5 stone. It's also by far the unfittest I've been. 5k is a big ask but I'm looking forward to the challenge

Who's with me?

I'd join you mate but my sciatica plays up at random. I am on a diet as like you I have piled it on a bit since Christmas. I was doing well last year as I changed my diet completely by cutting out sugar, bread and dairy. Switched to fruit and lots of veg and cut right down on stodge and carbs. Did a lot of walking and exercise bike and lost 2 stone in under 3 months which shocked me. I don't drink much and these days it's maybe one or two bottles of beer on a saturday - it's the food that gets me.

I am back on the diet wagon now.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 13:13 - Apr 4 with 4032 viewsHighjack

I wouldn’t start running straight away. Running whilst overweight can really f*ck up your knees, hips and back. Start with swimming or something less likely to cripple you.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 13:49 - Apr 4 with 3992 viewsMrSwerve

Good luck mate. Don’t be disheartened initially when you can’t run long distances.

I started running about two years ago and couldn’t run much more than 1k or so without having to walk every now and again. Now I run half marathon distances nearly every week...and at least 15k runs if not. I don’t enter competitions or anything, it’s not about that for me.

Take care of your joints and knees, and do some reading on running form etc. It’s changed my life in terms of getting out and feeling better mentally...spent years before that in gyms and now realise how depressing they can be compared to having fresh air in your face. Plus your legs will get rather big!

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 13:52 - Apr 4 with 3984 viewsMrSwerve

Oh and make sure you get some well fitted running shoes.

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 17:51 - Apr 4 with 3927 viewstnetennba

Best of luck, mush. As someone who started his diet nigh on the same weight that you are I can appreciate what you’re about to embark on. Stick with it, don’t get disheartened if you don’t see instant results and likewise with the running - it’ll come. I just dipped below 17 st for the first time in years. Still got 4 stone to go. Good weeks and bad weeks will happen. It’s how you deal with them that will make the difference.

All the best

TAFKA Llangy
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 17:55 - Apr 4 with 3922 viewsHighjack

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 17:51 - Apr 4 by tnetennba

Best of luck, mush. As someone who started his diet nigh on the same weight that you are I can appreciate what you’re about to embark on. Stick with it, don’t get disheartened if you don’t see instant results and likewise with the running - it’ll come. I just dipped below 17 st for the first time in years. Still got 4 stone to go. Good weeks and bad weeks will happen. It’s how you deal with them that will make the difference.

All the best

TAFKA Llangy

That’s a nice tnettenba

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 20:00 - Apr 4 with 3883 viewsBLAZE

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 17:51 - Apr 4 by tnetennba

All the best

TAFKA Llangy

Good to see you're still around mate. Keep us posted on the weight loss!!
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 20:00 - Apr 4 with 3883 viewsBLAZE

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 13:52 - Apr 4 by MrSwerve

Oh and make sure you get some well fitted running shoes.

Tomorrows job! Any brands to avoid!?
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 20:01]
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 20:03 - Apr 4 with 3869 viewsBLAZE

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 13:13 - Apr 4 by Highjack

I wouldn’t start running straight away. Running whilst overweight can really f*ck up your knees, hips and back. Start with swimming or something less likely to cripple you.

How about cycling?

Generally speaking my joints are in decent shape I'd say, no pain hunking my fat ass around anyway. I'll take it easy and see how it goes
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 20:04 - Apr 4 with 3866 viewsPhil_S

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 20:00 - Apr 4 by BLAZE

Brands of running shoes re personal things - get your gait checked though which is a good way of avoiding injury

Running is a great way to get fit, lose weight and also switch off from any daily pressures, I love it, best thing I ever took up. Two years back I couldn't run 400m, 9 half marathons and 1 full marathon later and 2200 miles in total says just stick with it
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 20:10 - Apr 4 with 3853 viewssherpajacob

two good friends of mine separately both lost loads of weight from being very overweight (20 st territory)

The first simply by cutting out all processed food from his diet.

the other (he came runner up in some slimmer of the year comp) by going for regular walks.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 20:16 - Apr 4 with 3845 viewslondonlisa2001

I did the Bupa couch potato to 10k programme about 10 years ago blaze, although I wasn’t overweight (then :-) ) just never did any running.

It really worked, and I went from being just about able to run for a few minutes to being able to run for an hour or so within quite a short time.

One thing I found was that running on a treadmill was far easier on the knees etc when I first started than running on the pavement.

I’d also echo the stuff about proper shoes - normal trainers aren’t doing you any favours. I used Brooks, but it depends on the gait analysis, which is worth it’s weight in gold and is free at decent shops. Good luck!
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 20:32 - Apr 4 with 3824 viewsmonmouth

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 10:15 - Apr 4 by BLAZE

Who's with me?

My wife is! With the app. She’s got to 20mins now and has 5k booked on 28 April. She’s thrilled and now bought shoes. I’m pretty worried about what highjack says though. She’s never run a step before, but I’ve been shouted At whenever I’ve raised it. My advice, ignored by her indoors, is just to walk to be honest. Same major benefits, just takes longer to do the same amount, and your body will have more time to adapt. I’ve run for 40 years so I’m dying to say just run, but I’d get your weight down first.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 21:09 - Apr 4 with 3789 viewsMrSwerve

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 20:00 - Apr 4 by BLAZE

I use Nike personally but there’s no need to spend so much really, plenty of people I know use ‘lesser’ brands. I find Nike comfortable though.

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 23:31 - Apr 4 with 3712 viewscontroversial_jack

I was training for a 10k a few years ago and all was going well, getting the distances in regularly if not really improving my times. I woke up one morning and couldn't walk.It damaged my knees running on hard surfaces and I haven't been able to run a lot since then.Be careful with these quick fix programmes and avoid hard surfaces.
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 23:53 - Apr 4 with 3703 viewsowainglyndwr

Who's with me?

I'm on the Fast 800.
I have lost 15.6 lbs in 3 weeks
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 00:18 - Apr 5 with 3685 viewscontroversial_jack

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 23:53 - Apr 4 by owainglyndwr

I'm on the Fast 800.

You must be either burning off 1850 calories per day or living on about 650 calories per day, which was less than prisoners of the jap camps during ww2 and Auschwitz captives. Alternatively, you could be very active indeed and combining both exercise and diet to achieve those remarkable, almost superhuman results.Well done though.
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 00:20 - Apr 5 with 3681 viewsThursday

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 00:18 - Apr 5 by controversial_jack

You must be either burning off 1850 calories per day or living on about 650 calories per day, which was less than prisoners of the jap camps during ww2 and Auschwitz captives. Alternatively, you could be very active indeed and combining both exercise and diet to achieve those remarkable, almost superhuman results.Well done though.

I was just about to post something similar, but thought the deficit would have been about 2,500 daily. Maybe he was on a 3-week fast and running an hour every day. Or, just took an effective laxative.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2019 0:23]
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 01:58 - Apr 5 with 3640 viewsmsinoa96

I'd stick with cycling mate, heard horror stories about bad knees about people who run too much. Much more cardio involved in cycling too I think.
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 07:45 - Apr 5 with 3564 viewslifelong

I bought a pair of these recently, serious runners will probably scoff at them , I use them for my walking and find them very comfortable and very reasonably priced.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwihufDFq7jhAhVLt-0KHR
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 08:44 - Apr 5 with 3535 viewsPhil_S

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 23:53 - Apr 4 by owainglyndwr

I'm on the Fast 800.

I'm not going to knock anything that works for anyone but my understanding of that diet is that you eat 800 calories a day every day.

It is simply something not sustainable IMO - as someone who lost 8 stone two years back there is no simpler way of doing it other than calorie control and exercise. Take in less than you burn off and lose it gradually or speed it up with more exercise.

Eating 800 calories a day is well less than the recommended level and whilst works on the same basis as the second paragraph above, I would say that it is just too extreme.
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 11:17 - Apr 5 with 3507 viewsowainglyndwr

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 00:18 - Apr 5 by controversial_jack

It was a doctor's recommedation, after a operation.
It's 800 Cals a day. By Dr Micheal Mosley.
Mind you I will have a few beers tomorrow a day off won't harm
NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 11:27 - Apr 5 with 3499 viewsowainglyndwr

NHS Couch to 5K - Planet Swans Weightloss and Fitness Group on 00:20 - Apr 5 by Thursday

I was just about to post something similar, but thought the deficit would have been about 2,500 daily. Maybe he was on a 3-week fast and running an hour every day. Or, just took an effective laxative.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2019 0:23]

It's also a diet to prevent or reverse in some cases of type 2 diabetes.
The Blood sugar diet
You follow it for 8 to 12 weeks losing in some cases of 3 stone.
To keep the weight off once completed you must try to keep to the low-carbohydrate Mediterranean style way of eating.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024