Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rioting in France 20:39 - Apr 7 with 12186 viewsFlashberryjack

There's been a lot footage of rioting on the streets of Paris on social media, but very little is shown on our main news programmes.

Is all this fake news or is it being intentionally hidden from the British public?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Rioting in France on 17:06 - Apr 8 with 1995 viewstrinityann

Rioting in France on 14:31 - Apr 8 by GreatBritton

Meanwhile, back on the topic of the French rioting, I can report (because I was in Paris in the middle of it all a couple of weeks ago) the French are rioting:
(a) because of fuel price increases, which affect rural populations worse than urban, but the Parisians like to support their country cousin, and they do like a riot anyway
(b) they mistrust 'the system'.
When I enquired which bit of what system, the response was 'all of it'.

Ordinary Parisians (i.e. those wearing gilets of different hues from yellow) are bemused by it all, but even more bemused about Brexit. 'Why would you want to be worse off?' they asked.

Are you working for the BBC with that last paragraph. If not I would copyright that.

How the f**k would they know we what be worst off.
Rioting in France on 17:17 - Apr 8 with 1973 viewsEbo

Rioting in France on 17:06 - Apr 8 by trinityann

Are you working for the BBC with that last paragraph. If not I would copyright that.

Judging from your last sentence/grammar, I doubt very much if you could tell your arse from your elbow.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Rioting in France on 17:29 - Apr 8 with 1961 viewschad

Might be because we would miss out on being part of the EU Army they are planning to set up with Germany.

With 24 different official languages and over 5 thousand interpreters / translators to run the administration already, we may have to rely on google translate being faster than a speeding bullet.
Rioting in France on 17:32 - Apr 8 with 1953 viewsLord_Bony

Rioting in France on 17:29 - Apr 8 by chad

Might be because we would miss out on being part of the EU Army they are planning to set up with Germany.

With 24 different official languages and over 5 thousand interpreters / translators to run the administration already, we may have to rely on google translate being faster than a speeding bullet.

Can you imagine the administration and bureaucracy involved running that lot?

Groan.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Rioting in France on 18:43 - Apr 8 with 1906 viewsFlashberryjack

Rioting in France on 14:18 - Apr 8 by LeonWasGod

At any point in this thread were you planning on making a point? We understand that you don't like the EU, but was there anything else?

The thread started with a question.

And I don't dislike the EU, I just don't like what it's grown into, and what it looks likely to grow into.

"We understand" is that like the royal "we" or are you the sites new spokesperson ?

Hello

Rioting in France on 18:57 - Apr 8 with 1898 viewschad

Rioting in France on 18:43 - Apr 8 by Flashberryjack

The thread started with a question.

And I don't dislike the EU, I just don't like what it's grown into, and what it looks likely to grow into.

"We understand" is that like the royal "we" or are you the sites new spokesperson ?

Agree

As for the royal we, noticed that too

Suppose if your argument is not strong enough, create an imaginary gang

Another poster referred to we all recently, sounds a bit totalitarian to me

Perhaps we should pretend to speak for Germany
Rioting in France on 19:05 - Apr 8 with 1886 viewstrinityann

Rioting in France on 18:57 - Apr 8 by chad

Agree

As for the royal we, noticed that too

Suppose if your argument is not strong enough, create an imaginary gang

Another poster referred to we all recently, sounds a bit totalitarian to me

Perhaps we should pretend to speak for Germany

Whenever I hear EU army mentioned, I get flashes of the film hunger games.
Rioting in France on 20:38 - Apr 8 with 1840 viewslondonlisa2001

Rioting in France on 14:42 - Apr 8 by PozuelosSideys

Fact or opinion? If its the former, source pls. Ta

You said

“The same evidence that Carney does. Statistical analysis using current and historical data in an attempt to predict a number of potential futures. The BoE pick a worst case scenario. Others will pick a more positive one”

That’s not true. The Bank of England were asked to stress test at all sorts of variables. They didn’t ‘pick a worst case scenario’. The media tend to tick up the worst case scenario to make a story.

And King doesn’t have the same evidence that Carney does. Carney is the governor of the BOE, King is not.

The BOE forecasting is proving remarkably accurate so far.
Login to get fewer ads

Rioting in France on 20:40 - Apr 8 with 1837 viewslondonlisa2001

Rioting in France on 14:49 - Apr 8 by PozuelosSideys

I saw this one. Most definitely not one of the "worst case" scenarios, but is probably more along the levels you would sensibly expect from a No Deal scenario. Not good reading but there we go.

Problem is a significant amount of this could have been offset if we had planned from an early point for a no deal and put in place the infrastructure and operational capabilities to manage. They have had 3 years and i wouldnt bet against it being 4 years. Our politicians from across teh spectrum are no longer fit for purpose. Most of them career politicians with minimal understanding of how the world, and the private sector in particular operates. But hey, when this is all over, theyll all be Knighted, moved to the House of Lords and then can sit back on their millions.

It’s not a no deal scenario. It’s what has already happened.
Rioting in France on 20:47 - Apr 8 with 1821 viewslondonlisa2001

Rioting in France on 17:29 - Apr 8 by chad

You are aware, I assume, that we already have a military alliance with both France and Germany? And Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Poland, etc etc).

The only point being made (leading to screeching from brexiteers) is that we should not be so dependent on the US. Which given the attitude of the present incumbent of the White House is pretty sensible really.

Or are you worried that the EU military alliance (note, all defence is at national level not at EU level) will not involve Turkey? Brexiteers bloody love Turkey after all,..
Rioting in France on 20:52 - Apr 8 with 1810 viewsFlashberryjack

Rioting in France on 20:38 - Apr 8 by londonlisa2001

You said

“The same evidence that Carney does. Statistical analysis using current and historical data in an attempt to predict a number of potential futures. The BoE pick a worst case scenario. Others will pick a more positive one”

That’s not true. The Bank of England were asked to stress test at all sorts of variables. They didn’t ‘pick a worst case scenario’. The media tend to tick up the worst case scenario to make a story.

And King doesn’t have the same evidence that Carney does. Carney is the governor of the BOE, King is not.

The BOE forecasting is proving remarkably accurate so far.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/02/12/mark-carney-brexit-acid-test-new

Hello

Rioting in France on 21:00 - Apr 8 with 1798 viewslondonlisa2001

Rioting in France on 20:52 - Apr 8 by Flashberryjack

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/02/12/mark-carney-brexit-acid-test-new

And?

I saw this weeks ago when it was published.

Virtually every economist (and the BOE) thinks we’ll be far better off staying in. All of them do in the short term, even the Brexit supporting ones.
Rioting in France on 21:07 - Apr 8 with 1789 viewsFlashberryjack

Rioting in France on 21:00 - Apr 8 by londonlisa2001

And?

I saw this weeks ago when it was published.

Virtually every economist (and the BOE) thinks we’ll be far better off staying in. All of them do in the short term, even the Brexit supporting ones.

Well carney seems to have changed his mind, just saying.

Hello

Rioting in France on 21:21 - Apr 8 with 1772 viewslondonlisa2001

Rioting in France on 21:07 - Apr 8 by Flashberryjack

No. He doesn’t.

https://fullfact.org/europe/mark-carney-brexit-golden-age/

Can I respectfully suggest you read the full transcripts of the speeches rather than the spin put on them by biased newspapers (of either slant).

The Telegraph is massively pro Brexit. It has been since its (at the time)political editor Peter Oborne (he of the change of heart) decided to push it at all costs, at the behest of its ownership.

There are no sensible sources that believe Brexit will be economically good in the short or medium term. Think about it. Why on earth would we be able to negotiate a better deal as just us rather than us plus another 27 nations? It makes zero sense.

Most of us ‘remainers’ don’t want an ever more integrated EU. But we have significant powers at present to stop that. If we leave, our powers largely fall away.

Even if we leave on ‘no deal’ we are back to having to agree the withdrawal agreement (as I said over the weekend and Barnier has explicitly stated today). There is no way of us leaving without ironically ceding power to the EU, unless we are prepared to forgo a trade agreement with our biggest market and closest neighbours. We hold no cards, we never did.
Rioting in France on 21:41 - Apr 8 with 1752 viewsFlashberryjack

Rioting in France on 21:21 - Apr 8 by londonlisa2001

No. He doesn’t.

https://fullfact.org/europe/mark-carney-brexit-golden-age/

Can I respectfully suggest you read the full transcripts of the speeches rather than the spin put on them by biased newspapers (of either slant).

The Telegraph is massively pro Brexit. It has been since its (at the time)political editor Peter Oborne (he of the change of heart) decided to push it at all costs, at the behest of its ownership.

There are no sensible sources that believe Brexit will be economically good in the short or medium term. Think about it. Why on earth would we be able to negotiate a better deal as just us rather than us plus another 27 nations? It makes zero sense.

Most of us ‘remainers’ don’t want an ever more integrated EU. But we have significant powers at present to stop that. If we leave, our powers largely fall away.

Even if we leave on ‘no deal’ we are back to having to agree the withdrawal agreement (as I said over the weekend and Barnier has explicitly stated today). There is no way of us leaving without ironically ceding power to the EU, unless we are prepared to forgo a trade agreement with our biggest market and closest neighbours. We hold no cards, we never did.

With respect, that is still quite a turn round by Carney from his position directly after the referendum.
And it's financial institutions that will be at the forefront of any fall out, should we actually leave, so it's no surprise that they are against leaving.

As for having no cards to play, you are correct, because those idiots in parliament took them off the table.

This may shock you, but I'd much rather stay in the EU than leave with that awful deal May has taken 3 years to cobble together, but I fear the worst I'm afraid to say.

Anyway! time for my mug Horlicks ...goodnight Lisa and thank you for your very civil informative thoughts on Brexit.

Hello

Rioting in France on 21:50 - Apr 8 with 1746 viewsexiledclaseboy

Rioting in France on 21:41 - Apr 8 by Flashberryjack

With respect, that is still quite a turn round by Carney from his position directly after the referendum.
And it's financial institutions that will be at the forefront of any fall out, should we actually leave, so it's no surprise that they are against leaving.

As for having no cards to play, you are correct, because those idiots in parliament took them off the table.

This may shock you, but I'd much rather stay in the EU than leave with that awful deal May has taken 3 years to cobble together, but I fear the worst I'm afraid to say.

Anyway! time for my mug Horlicks ...goodnight Lisa and thank you for your very civil informative thoughts on Brexit.

Parliament didn’t take anything off the table. The government did.

Poll: Tory leader

Rioting in France on 21:50 - Apr 8 with 1744 viewslonglostjack

Rioting in France on 21:07 - Apr 8 by Flashberryjack

Has he decided to become a vegetarian ?

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Rioting in France on 22:33 - Apr 8 with 1732 viewsLuther27

Rioting in France on 20:47 - Apr 8 by londonlisa2001

You are aware, I assume, that we already have a military alliance with both France and Germany? And Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Poland, etc etc).

The only point being made (leading to screeching from brexiteers) is that we should not be so dependent on the US. Which given the attitude of the present incumbent of the White House is pretty sensible really.

Or are you worried that the EU military alliance (note, all defence is at national level not at EU level) will not involve Turkey? Brexiteers bloody love Turkey after all,..

If every EU nation made the agreed 2% of GDP to NATO then Trump wouldn't have a case. His gripe is the USA shouldn't subsidise the EU nations.
Rioting in France on 01:04 - Apr 9 with 1688 viewsDJack

Rioting in France on 22:33 - Apr 8 by Luther27

If every EU nation made the agreed 2% of GDP to NATO then Trump wouldn't have a case. His gripe is the USA shouldn't subsidise the EU nations.

It may be better if Europe didn't subsidise American wars don't you think?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Rioting in France on 11:18 - Apr 9 with 1596 viewsHighjack

Rioting in France on 22:33 - Apr 8 by Luther27

His gripe is that other countries aren’t spending enough money on American guns, tanks, bombs and other methods of destroying human life.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Rioting in France on 11:56 - Apr 9 with 1580 viewsGreatBritton

I can't understand your last sentence. Are you a native English speaker?
Rioting in France on 12:00 - Apr 9 with 1576 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Emmanuel Macron is the French Tony Blair who started an illegal war on his own citizens.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Rioting in France on 12:15 - Apr 9 with 1569 viewsLohengrin

Rioting in France on 12:00 - Apr 9 by oh_tommy_tommy

Emmanuel Macron is the French Tony Blair who started an illegal war on his own citizens.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Rioting in France on 12:34 - Apr 9 with 1559 viewstrinityann

Rioting in France on 11:56 - Apr 9 by GreatBritton

I can't understand your last sentence. Are you a native English speaker?

I'm afraid of offending any snowflakers on this forum.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2019 12:50]
Rioting in France on 13:24 - Apr 9 with 1515 viewsFlashberryjack

Rioting in France on 21:50 - Apr 8 by exiledclaseboy

Parliament didn’t take anything off the table. The government did.

Sorry! I thought the HoC was parliament
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47562995

Hello

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024