Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... 17:51 - Apr 9 with 3284 viewsBrynCartwright

..it would be massive for Swansea City Centre.

I really hope it will not happen but the company has said it needs to close 50 out of 166 stores after they lost nearly 500 million quid last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47864580

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 20:46 - Apr 9 with 1125 viewsLohengrin

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 20:36 - Apr 9 by waynekerr55

Don't blame you to be fair, I've recently discovered the Hammersmith food market, my word the Bavette Steak Sandwich is to die for

I used to spend a lot of time in Kelly’s on the Roman Road in Bethnal Green.

A favourite pit-stop before the pub crawl.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 20:51 - Apr 9 with 1116 viewsBrynCartwright

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 20:46 - Apr 9 by Lohengrin

I used to spend a lot of time in Kelly’s on the Roman Road in Bethnal Green.

A favourite pit-stop before the pub crawl.

Micky Flanagan's old stomping ground before he went all middle class down Dulwich way.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 21:00 - Apr 9 with 1104 viewsLohengrin

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 20:51 - Apr 9 by BrynCartwright

Micky Flanagan's old stomping ground before he went all middle class down Dulwich way.

Thirty years ago it was the chosen Saturday morning lair of squaddies and older women who called me “treacle.”

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 21:36 - Apr 9 with 1073 viewsmajorraglan

Companies like Amazon don’t pay tax while at the same time the Government has pushed up business rates. This in effect is a double whammy for the high street who have a higher cost base and invariably pay more in taxes compared to Amazon.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2019 23:51]
If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 21:54 - Apr 9 with 1053 viewsepaul

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 19:28 - Apr 9 by Lohengrin

Been there. Excellent. Staffed by book lovers who know their stuff. It’s a little piece of Hay in west London.

I worked less than 2 mins from there before I moved back to Wales

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 21:55 - Apr 9 with 1052 viewsepaul

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 19:25 - Apr 9 by londonlisa2001

Yes.

Have you tried any of the homemade pies from Lidgates Lisa, some fantastic meats and stuff in there, of course all at a nice price

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 21:57 - Apr 9 with 1047 viewsLohengrin

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 21:54 - Apr 9 by epaul

I worked less than 2 mins from there before I moved back to Wales

If you were living two minutes from there you’d be Sir ePaul and work wouldn’t come into the equation.

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 22:00 - Apr 9 with 1040 viewslondonlisa2001

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 21:55 - Apr 9 by epaul

Have you tried any of the homemade pies from Lidgates Lisa, some fantastic meats and stuff in there, of course all at a nice price

I have Paul. I had a big family dinner recently and we had a big Shepherds Pie from Lidgates to save anyone needing to spend the day cooking.

Fabulous quality and actually not that bad a price really given the time it saves.

Nice people in there as well.
Login to get fewer ads

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 22:46 - Apr 9 with 981 viewsDr_Winston

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 20:28 - Apr 9 by MrSwerve

Is it bad that I can’t remember the last time I bought something in a shop (excluding food and bits and bobs from Tesco)?

Usually only go out to buy stuff in B&Q, garden centres etc. Even then I’ll look online first if I’m after something in particular. Most of my electrical I’ll buy online too.

‘Walking around the shops’ will die out almost completely in the next 20 years.

And the 3D printing boom hasn't even begun a little bit yet.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 09:07 - Apr 10 with 892 viewsepaul

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 21:57 - Apr 9 by Lohengrin

If you were living two minutes from there you’d be Sir ePaul and work wouldn’t come into the equation.

Nah, I couldnt accept a knighthood

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 09:09 - Apr 10 with 891 viewsepaul

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 22:00 - Apr 9 by londonlisa2001

I have Paul. I had a big family dinner recently and we had a big Shepherds Pie from Lidgates to save anyone needing to spend the day cooking.

Fabulous quality and actually not that bad a price really given the time it saves.

Nice people in there as well.

Yeah the shepherd pies are very nice

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 09:26 - Apr 10 with 884 viewsVincent_Vega

The death of the High Street is a terrible shame, we're all guilty. I can't remember the last time I went to Swansea for retail therapy, probably when Primark was in Oxford street. If myself and the other half want a day out shopping for say Christmas we go to Cardiff or Cribbs Causeway.

Narks me slightly doing it as I'm one of them who despise all the money going to 'the diff' but I have no choice as Swansea has no shops of note. The shops they do have I can go to Llanelli or Carmarthen (which by the way referencing Carmarthen has some shops that Swansea doesn't) as they have the same outlets, and yes if I can't find it online I go like everyone else adding to the problem.

I did here once that a shop owner in Ammanford was paying double the rates than a mate who had a shop similar size in Cardiff. That can't be healthy.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 09:42 - Apr 10 with 874 viewsbluey_the_blue

Cardiff's not in that great a state tbh.

Queen Street used to be a cracking place, now it's all coffee shops. Rents pricing out small stores, council intent on destroying driving within Cardiff...
If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 09:54 - Apr 10 with 864 viewsdickythorpe

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 09:42 - Apr 10 by bluey_the_blue

Queen Street used to be a cracking place, now it's all coffee shops. Rents pricing out small stores, council intent on destroying driving within Cardiff...

Is that Brazil's place any good, BBQ type food??
If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 10:19 - Apr 10 with 843 viewsLohengrin

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 09:07 - Apr 10 by epaul

Nah, I couldnt accept a knighthood

What about a hereditary Baronetcy? Sir Paul of Penlan has a nice ring to it.

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 10:47 - Apr 10 with 829 viewsCountyJim

Its the same in Newport if Debenhams go that really is it they built Friers walk and Debenhams is the jewel in the crown

Looks like Boots is in trouble as well
If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 10:51 - Apr 10 with 825 viewsLord_Bony

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 09:42 - Apr 10 by bluey_the_blue

It's shocking how quickly retail is changing.

One of my retail outlets was in the Capitol Shopping Centre,it was a beautiful upmarket shopping centre,one of the best.

In 2015 the flagship store H&M which occupied a huge space, suddenly pulled out and concentrated on St David's.

Shortly after, several other big names pulled out too,the place took a nose dive and we had to wait for our contract to release us before we could vacate,the rent and rates in that place were astronomical and out of touch with the reality of the situation,they had us by the balls, nothing we could do,a very tough and distressing time for us and other shops. Many people there had lost their jobs overnight.

Anyway, the place now as you know is a dump basically,still mostly empty shops those that are occupied are pop up shops...it's had it,no sign of the big names coming back.

This scenario is being repeated up and down the country at the moment,I have another place in a shopping centre,guess what the flagship store is? Yes Debenhams. If that goes the cascade could start again.

Retail is changing so fast on the High Street at the moment because of online shopping it's scary,but mainly for the big companies and their shareholders. Less shopping centres will be built in future. Swansea council and planning needs a major rethink.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 11:08 - Apr 10 with 800 viewsLord_Bony

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 10:47 - Apr 10 by CountyJim

Its the same in Newport if Debenhams go that really is it they built Friers walk and Debenhams is the jewel in the crown

Looks like Boots is in trouble as well

Sorry Jim didn't see your post.

Yes that's what I'm talking about,we be recently lost Mothercare and Topman there amongst others.
It was at full capacity but now the big names are starting to go again. The Kingsway Centre has lost a lot too.

The Debenhams store we are referring to is huge and employs a lot of people,the shopping centre would fall apart if that went,it would look awful with all that space vacant.

Debenhams do have some power, moving forward they will be asking and probably get it, a whole new range of financial incentives to carry on trading.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 11:24 - Apr 10 with 781 viewsexhmrc1

When new shopping centres open old ones end up empty as Bony and Jim have stated. Look at what has happened in Swansea with the High Street when the quadrant was built. If they build the new centre the quadrant will end up empty. We are lucky with the Quadrant currently every shop is taken. What is needed is to fill the empty shops on Oxford Street not a new shopping centre. Debenhams or M&S closing would have a massive impact on the city. The odd thing is thing that whilst the likes of Perch spend all their time slagging the city off visitors and students speak really highly of it. I came up on the unibus with 4 students from various places yesterday all slagging off their towns or previous schools and all said they loved Swansea. The guy from Boro was impressed on here and I met a guy when Ipswich here who was very impressed with the city.
If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 11:24 - Apr 10 with 781 viewsCountyJim

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 11:08 - Apr 10 by Lord_Bony

Sorry Jim didn't see your post.

Yes that's what I'm talking about,we be recently lost Mothercare and Topman there amongst others.
It was at full capacity but now the big names are starting to go again. The Kingsway Centre has lost a lot too.

The Debenhams store we are referring to is huge and employs a lot of people,the shopping centre would fall apart if that went,it would look awful with all that space vacant.

Debenhams do have some power, moving forward they will be asking and probably get it, a whole new range of financial incentives to carry on trading.

My Wife was made redundant from Wildings lots of history gone the oldest store in Newport they still have stores in Bath and Bristol
If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 11:32 - Apr 10 with 769 viewsLord_Bony

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 11:24 - Apr 10 by CountyJim

My Wife was made redundant from Wildings lots of history gone the oldest store in Newport they still have stores in Bath and Bristol

Yep, a well respected brand,shame.
Losing BHS was also a huge blow for Newport and that eyesore that is Commercial street...God knows what can be done with that place for retail.

This post has been edited by an administrator

If Debenhams closes in the Quadrant... on 13:20 - Apr 10 with 715 viewsBanosswan

I think the Swansea store is one of the better performers. The benefit makeup counter for instance, gets the massive new range launches along with flagship stores because it performs so well.

Not really sure how I know that mind.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024