Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This fella’ Birch. 21:44 - Apr 9 with 7365 viewsLohengrin

Surely to God after the three weeks he’s been here, after what he’s seen, he has to be reporting back to his financial masters that this isn’t a project to be written off. Investment would be the smart move.

FFS, mun!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

This fella’ Birch. on 09:48 - Apr 10 with 1524 viewsoldcob

This fella’ Birch. on 09:24 - Apr 10 by costalotta

We're going to know soon enough.

Recruit wisely? That is subjective as no context supplied. Wisely to maintain the status quo? To fight off relegation? Or to push on?

Let's offload the Ayews, Baston, Narsignh etc. With the accounts as they are, reduced to no possibly debt, 40m of PP, we should be able to kick on and have a go next season.

Potter has done an amazing job this season. Let's just see if he's backed in the summer. Clearly he should be.

Unfortunately the Yanks don't understand or care about football. Their aim is to make money, end of story. They know little about making money via football either otherwise they'd know the surest way to make money in football is to get to the premier.
This fella’ Birch. on 10:03 - Apr 10 with 1484 viewscostalotta

This fella’ Birch. on 09:44 - Apr 10 by jasper_T

Wisely as in don't buy players that aren't as good as what we already have.

Good enough for what?
This fella’ Birch. on 10:12 - Apr 10 with 1459 viewsjasper_T

This fella’ Birch. on 10:03 - Apr 10 by costalotta

Good enough for what?

Playing football.
This fella’ Birch. on 10:18 - Apr 10 with 1448 viewscostalotta

This fella’ Birch. on 10:12 - Apr 10 by jasper_T

Playing football.

Why do we need Potter to recruit players wisely to play football? I'm sure anyone can do that?

I refer to my original question...

"Wisely to maintain the status quo? To fight off relegation? Or to push on?"
This fella’ Birch. on 10:39 - Apr 10 with 1428 viewsjasper_T

This fella’ Birch. on 10:18 - Apr 10 by costalotta

Why do we need Potter to recruit players wisely to play football? I'm sure anyone can do that?

I refer to my original question...

"Wisely to maintain the status quo? To fight off relegation? Or to push on?"

Well we didn't do a flawless job last summer. Bought two wingers nowhere near the three we start now, and a left back who doesn't play despite our original left back's season being ended months ago.

As Potter says it's about finding players that improve the group and working with them as best you can. You get the best available that you can afford and want to play for the club, and if no one out there is better than what you have you don't bother bringing anyone in.
This fella’ Birch. on 10:50 - Apr 10 with 1406 viewscostalotta

This fella’ Birch. on 10:39 - Apr 10 by jasper_T

Well we didn't do a flawless job last summer. Bought two wingers nowhere near the three we start now, and a left back who doesn't play despite our original left back's season being ended months ago.

As Potter says it's about finding players that improve the group and working with them as best you can. You get the best available that you can afford and want to play for the club, and if no one out there is better than what you have you don't bother bringing anyone in.

Jasper, you seem confused.

I didn't ask you about last summer. I could have...but that was not Potters summer as it were.

As for what Potter says...Yeah, but we know that. If we offload first team squad players they will need to be replaced. Best available, agree! But available for what? What is it the club is trying to do, that is the question. It needs to have a vision. If its about the status quo then we will shed fans. if its solely to extract money from the club, that won't end well as we know. If its to make an attempt at improving the club then people will buy into that. Much like after 2002.
This fella’ Birch. on 10:58 - Apr 10 with 1392 viewsthornabyswan

This fella’ Birch. on 09:44 - Apr 10 by jasper_T

Wisely as in don't buy players that aren't as good as what we already have.

You are presuming the ones we have will still be with us next season.
Hopefully we will shift Narsingh both the Ayews Baston.

Do you think James Roberts Rodon Byers Grimes Ollie VDH Routeledge will still be with us.

Not having a pop just curious

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

This fella’ Birch. on 10:59 - Apr 10 with 1388 viewsBadlands

This fella’ Birch. on 22:59 - Apr 9 by jasper_T

Only started the job last Thursday.

Won't have trouble finding the cash needed at this rate. We'll get a few offers no Championship club can refuse for players in the summer. And then it'll be up to Potter to recruit wisely.

Exactly why Potter was brought in.
Exciting football with youngsters and bargain buys - as we did last time we were in this league.
Having been singing his praises since Monk left I am a bit relieved that, following some shaky moments, GP is getting the team playing as I'd hoped for.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Login to get fewer ads

This fella’ Birch. on 11:06 - Apr 10 with 1370 viewsthornabyswan

This fella’ Birch. on 10:59 - Apr 10 by Badlands

Exactly why Potter was brought in.
Exciting football with youngsters and bargain buys - as we did last time we were in this league.
Having been singing his praises since Monk left I am a bit relieved that, following some shaky moments, GP is getting the team playing as I'd hoped for.

Yes we are playing some great football still very fragile away from home.

I really like Potter but why did it take him so long to find his best side.
We should be higher up the league but most would have been happy with our position if offered at the Start.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

This fella’ Birch. on 11:17 - Apr 10 with 1350 viewsjasper_T

This fella’ Birch. on 10:50 - Apr 10 by costalotta

I didn't ask you about last summer. I could have...but that was not Potters summer as it were.

As for what Potter says...Yeah, but we know that. If we offload first team squad players they will need to be replaced. Best available, agree! But available for what? What is it the club is trying to do, that is the question. It needs to have a vision. If its about the status quo then we will shed fans. if its solely to extract money from the club, that won't end well as we know. If its to make an attempt at improving the club then people will buy into that. Much like after 2002.

The vision has been in place all season. Recruit and develop young players and restore the "Swansea Way" (or a version of that broad idea). Do the best we can without putting the future of the football club in jeopardy by spending beyond our means.

Beyond that it's impossible/foolish to set more specific targets in this division without spending Newcastle or Wolves money, it's usually a tight race between 15+ teams for top 6 for most of the season. Potter and Birch will have their budget (supposedly -£30m at the start of the summer) and try to improve the group with that. But there are some players that will be next to impossible to replace/improve upon if we receive offers we can't refuse for them. That's life in the Championship.

Hopefully they get it right and the few we do bring in are able to contribute more than "League Two at best" u23s stepping up. Otherwise it's more wasted money.
This fella’ Birch. on 11:32 - Apr 10 with 1331 viewscostalotta

This fella’ Birch. on 11:17 - Apr 10 by jasper_T

The vision has been in place all season. Recruit and develop young players and restore the "Swansea Way" (or a version of that broad idea). Do the best we can without putting the future of the football club in jeopardy by spending beyond our means.

Beyond that it's impossible/foolish to set more specific targets in this division without spending Newcastle or Wolves money, it's usually a tight race between 15+ teams for top 6 for most of the season. Potter and Birch will have their budget (supposedly -£30m at the start of the summer) and try to improve the group with that. But there are some players that will be next to impossible to replace/improve upon if we receive offers we can't refuse for them. That's life in the Championship.

Hopefully they get it right and the few we do bring in are able to contribute more than "League Two at best" u23s stepping up. Otherwise it's more wasted money.

Agree with some of that but certainly not the setting targets bit

When we sent up we didn't spend like Newcastle (which to be fair is not the same as the Wolves example). Did Huddersfield spend like Wolves / Newcastle ? Or Cardiff, Brighton, Palace or the others teams one pick out.

Being unable to refuse offers for certain players is something every club bar 1 or 2 has to deal with. We're no different. But, you need to look at when you sell, where the club is when you sell and how you sell and replace. The higher up the leagues the more you'll get, the better you can invest in and the more likely you as a club will be in a far better place. Selling on the way down is and has always been short termism and is unlikely to end well. Whereas selling on the way up and when you get there is...
This fella’ Birch. on 11:37 - Apr 10 with 1316 viewsvalleyboy

This fella’ Birch. on 10:50 - Apr 10 by costalotta

That was not Potters summer as it were

Would do you thing brought Asoro in then???

Potter has said that he had been following him for a long time

Then as for the others

Then why did Potter say he didn’t want them

As much as I have always disliked Jenkins

It’s he that was in charge when Swansea brought in the young the players, coaches, Potter, getting the Academy One status to make the season and the football what it is
This fella’ Birch. on 11:38 - Apr 10 with 1319 viewsjasper_T

This fella’ Birch. on 11:32 - Apr 10 by costalotta

Agree with some of that but certainly not the setting targets bit

When we sent up we didn't spend like Newcastle (which to be fair is not the same as the Wolves example). Did Huddersfield spend like Wolves / Newcastle ? Or Cardiff, Brighton, Palace or the others teams one pick out.

Being unable to refuse offers for certain players is something every club bar 1 or 2 has to deal with. We're no different. But, you need to look at when you sell, where the club is when you sell and how you sell and replace. The higher up the leagues the more you'll get, the better you can invest in and the more likely you as a club will be in a far better place. Selling on the way down is and has always been short termism and is unlikely to end well. Whereas selling on the way up and when you get there is...

Newcastle added £30m to their wage bill after relegation. They overspent to the same outrageous extent Wolves did.

You obviously don't have to spend like that to go up, but when you spend like that you have to go up. Which is why West Brom sacked a manager that had them in 4th.
This fella’ Birch. on 11:40 - Apr 10 with 1312 viewsnantywatcher

This fella’ Birch. on 11:06 - Apr 10 by thornabyswan

Yes we are playing some great football still very fragile away from home.

I really like Potter but why did it take him so long to find his best side.
We should be higher up the league but most would have been happy with our position if offered at the Start.

"I really like Potter but why did it take him so long to find his best side. "
That ridiculous comment blows my mind!
4-5 months to completely overhaul and build a brand new side and you think that's a long time.
Give me strength.
This fella’ Birch. on 11:45 - Apr 10 with 1303 viewsMagicDaps

Surely if we get rid of the Ayew's, Baston, Olsson, Narsingh, Montero, Bony and Tom Carroll then we should be back out of the red?

Keep the nucleus of the side, maybe one or two loans from Man. City or the likes (who would surely be keen to have their young players playing here after the cup game) to improve the depth and then maybe a free transfer or someone from the lower divisions and surely the wage bill wouldn't be too high?

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

This fella’ Birch. on 11:46 - Apr 10 with 1300 viewsjasper_T

This fella’ Birch. on 10:58 - Apr 10 by thornabyswan

You are presuming the ones we have will still be with us next season.
Hopefully we will shift Narsingh both the Ayews Baston.

Do you think James Roberts Rodon Byers Grimes Ollie VDH Routeledge will still be with us.

Not having a pop just curious

I've not presumed anything like that.

We need to buy better than what we already have (left at the club after exits) which we didn't manage in every case last summer. Half of last season's transfer spend on the bench last night (let's include John who didn't even make the 18) and the next £5-7m we pursued sat unused on Stoke's.

So if we replace DJ the player needs to be better than Garrick, at least.

Rodon, Roberts, Byers and Grimes will still be here imo.
This fella’ Birch. on 11:47 - Apr 10 with 1297 viewsthornabyswan

This fella’ Birch. on 11:40 - Apr 10 by nantywatcher

"I really like Potter but why did it take him so long to find his best side. "
That ridiculous comment blows my mind!
4-5 months to completely overhaul and build a brand new side and you think that's a long time.
Give me strength.

40 games in now most could see Dyer and Routeledge were streets ahead of Asoro and Mackay.
Constantly rotating keepers.

Yes it's been an enjoyable season but we could and should have been higher up the league.

This fella’ Birch. on 11:48 - Apr 10 with 1288 viewscostalotta

This fella’ Birch. on 11:37 - Apr 10 by valleyboy

That was not Potters summer as it were

Would do you thing brought Asoro in then???

Potter has said that he had been following him for a long time

Then as for the others

Then why did Potter say he didn’t want them

As much as I have always disliked Jenkins

It’s he that was in charge when Swansea brought in the young the players, coaches, Potter, getting the Academy One status to make the season and the football what it is

Can someone translate into English.
This fella’ Birch. on 11:50 - Apr 10 with 1283 viewscostalotta

This fella’ Birch. on 11:38 - Apr 10 by jasper_T

Newcastle added £30m to their wage bill after relegation. They overspent to the same outrageous extent Wolves did.

You obviously don't have to spend like that to go up, but when you spend like that you have to go up. Which is why West Brom sacked a manager that had them in 4th.

Agree, but didn't i bascially just say that.
This fella’ Birch. on 11:50 - Apr 10 with 1278 viewsvalleyboy

This fella’ Birch. on 09:24 - Apr 10 by costalotta

We're going to know soon enough.

Recruit wisely? That is subjective as no context supplied. Wisely to maintain the status quo? To fight off relegation? Or to push on?

Let's offload the Ayews, Baston, Narsignh etc. With the accounts as they are, reduced to no possibly debt, 40m of PP, we should be able to kick on and have a go next season.

Potter has done an amazing job this season. Let's just see if he's backed in the summer. Clearly he should be.

With the Accounts as they were

To start off with. The only thing you have seen of the accounts so far is the “headline figure”

Nothing has been put up in Companies House as of yet. To show what the liabilities are

Yes it’s important for Swansea to get rid of A Ayew and Baston

But no one is going to pay anything near the transfer fees that Swansea paid for them

Further more, both are on contracts and will be expecting those contracts to be paid up to the full amount or near to full amount
This fella’ Birch. on 11:57 - Apr 10 with 1265 viewscostalotta

This fella’ Birch. on 11:46 - Apr 10 by jasper_T

I've not presumed anything like that.

We need to buy better than what we already have (left at the club after exits) which we didn't manage in every case last summer. Half of last season's transfer spend on the bench last night (let's include John who didn't even make the 18) and the next £5-7m we pursued sat unused on Stoke's.

So if we replace DJ the player needs to be better than Garrick, at least.

Rodon, Roberts, Byers and Grimes will still be here imo.

We certainly do.
This fella’ Birch. on 12:04 - Apr 10 with 1248 viewsvalleyboy

This fella’ Birch. on 11:47 - Apr 10 by thornabyswan

40 games in now most could see Dyer and Routeledge were streets ahead of Asoro and Mackay.
Constantly rotating keepers.

Yes it's been an enjoyable season but we could and should have been higher up the league.

Yes I agree that most could see that Routledge and Dyer were streets ahead of Asoro, but yet some thought that Asoro was the best thing since sliced bread

But you could ask in why did it take so long for a Potter to realise that, irrespective in whether he was under pressure not to play them

You could also ask in why was it Potter that announced that both those players would be leaving in the summer
This fella’ Birch. on 14:22 - Apr 10 with 1124 viewscbrace1

Think we have a diamond in Graham Potter, the football (and results) over the past week have been superb. Can't see us holding on to DJ, with both Ayews, Narsingh, Bony and Baston off the wage bill next season. Things obviously don't look great, but our biggest asset is certainly Graham Potter himself
This fella’ Birch. on 16:29 - Apr 10 with 1039 viewskrunchykarrot

Guys stop having a pop at the players i havent seen enough of Asoro to make an informed decision other than to say hes rapid.
This fella’ Birch. on 02:46 - Apr 11 with 892 viewsdameedna

Unfortunately he losses to Norwich, West Brom and Notts Forest happened when we were playing well. It would have been quite a good position for Birch to have come having picked up another 3 or 4 points on top of the last 9 points.

We have players on wages we do not want to fund and some talent that can probably earn over 20k a week elsewhere. Going to be a Summer of change but possibly a good on if we retain Potter. New owners won't come as a shock.

We will probably be looking financially stable which is important. We didn't look that way in the Premiership.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024