Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cameron Carter Vickers 17:24 - Apr 13 with 5279 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

Any chance we could secure him permanently? He's done a decent job I feel this season and adds a physical edge to the back line.
Cameron Carter Vickers on 18:38 - Apr 15 with 1182 viewsChief

Cameron Carter Vickers on 18:30 - Apr 15 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I am grateful to have been a season ticket holder when the two greatest managers in our history were in charge, and I struggle to recall a match under Martinez where we would have 74% possession and struggle so badly to create a chance. I doubt we ever had 74% possession at all. Attacking was direct and with a purpose, we would commit high numbers of players forward at the expensive of leaving ourselves open at the back.

Passing around the defence was done with purpose, to drag players out of position before exploiting the space left in the centre of the pitch. These days we pass around the back because nobody has the ability to step forward, or express that little bit of quality to beat the person pressing them and move forward.

The way we play now is so conservative it is more reminiscent of Sousa's Swansea.

We scored 9 goals in 3 games last week. Doesn't sound very conservative to me.

And we never had the problems of conceding the amount of soft goals we have conceded this season under Sousa.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Cameron Carter Vickers on 18:50 - Apr 15 with 1169 viewsMoscowJack

When many of our first-teamers were in the U23s, there was quite a soft underbelly to that team too. It's very reminiscent of how I feel about our current team - going forward they were a dream to watch (at times) but looked like conceding almost every time the opposition got in our half. I sometimes feel like that now too.

It should be no surprise that we're showing the same sort of weaknesses, so it's up to Potter to look to improve it, but I'm not sure we have the players for him to do that this season. We haven't got a Bony who can leap 12 foot to clear headers and, quite often, it seems that only VdH can head the ball when we're defending a corner.

I don't think any of Grimes, Roberts, Dyer, Routs, Grimes, Byers, Dan James, Fulton Celina or Naughton are 6 foot tall. Only VDH (6ft 1 ), Rodon (about 6ft 4) and CCV (6ft 1) and Ollie (6ft 1) are 6ft or over and not all of them can dominate in the air as consistently as VDH.

We had the same issue under Rodgers, Sousa and Martinez but I feel that we need a dominant centre half next to Mike (maybe Rodon will become this player) and someone as big as Fer (6ft 2) in midfield. Over the years, when we've been successful, we've often had a taller central or attacking midfielder to compliment the small team that we've had. Pratley and Michu were both ok in the air and at least added some height.

I don't want to move away from what we're doing right with the players we have, but it's hard seeing all the hard work being undone every time the opposition have a corner.

Another option would be to have a keeper would comes off his line once in a while and doesn't flap when he does!

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Cameron Carter Vickers on 18:55 - Apr 15 with 1158 viewsjasper_T

Cameron Carter Vickers on 17:28 - Apr 15 by Chief

Your Wuming powers are waning.

CCV is actually a pretty perfect fit for a Martinez style. Wasn't there a graphic put out recently that of all the defenders in the championship he's way out in front in passes?

What you should have said is that you are surprised posters want to sign him when he's part of a defence that is making the same errors mainly surrounding set pieces week after week.

https://medium.com/ram-blings/profiling-ball-playing-centre-backs-in-the-champio

He's top notch for number of passes and accuracy but his use of the ball is extremely conservative. He and vdH are on opposite sides of the scale for penetrating balls getting us playing, in comparison with other centre halves in the division. It's not simply an issue of our style of play.

He's also below average in winning defensive battles, where Big Joe is above. Rodon get a lot of stick on here for his poor spell before his injury, but before that he was immense not just defensively but breaking lines and getting us playing as well.
Cameron Carter Vickers on 19:25 - Apr 15 with 1146 viewsploppy

Cameron Carter Vickers on 18:55 - Apr 15 by jasper_T

https://medium.com/ram-blings/profiling-ball-playing-centre-backs-in-the-champio

He's top notch for number of passes and accuracy but his use of the ball is extremely conservative. He and vdH are on opposite sides of the scale for penetrating balls getting us playing, in comparison with other centre halves in the division. It's not simply an issue of our style of play.

He's also below average in winning defensive battles, where Big Joe is above. Rodon get a lot of stick on here for his poor spell before his injury, but before that he was immense not just defensively but breaking lines and getting us playing as well.

I agree he's conservative with his passing but I don't mind that - we have VdH who likes to foray forward and play the odd diagonal.

Joe definitely had a poor spell where he made some bad mistakes - mistakes that cost us goals. I haven't seen CCV make any.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have Joe, VdH and CCV.
Cameron Carter Vickers on 19:55 - Apr 15 with 1121 viewsBadlands

Cameron Carter Vickers on 18:50 - Apr 15 by MoscowJack

When many of our first-teamers were in the U23s, there was quite a soft underbelly to that team too. It's very reminiscent of how I feel about our current team - going forward they were a dream to watch (at times) but looked like conceding almost every time the opposition got in our half. I sometimes feel like that now too.

It should be no surprise that we're showing the same sort of weaknesses, so it's up to Potter to look to improve it, but I'm not sure we have the players for him to do that this season. We haven't got a Bony who can leap 12 foot to clear headers and, quite often, it seems that only VdH can head the ball when we're defending a corner.

I don't think any of Grimes, Roberts, Dyer, Routs, Grimes, Byers, Dan James, Fulton Celina or Naughton are 6 foot tall. Only VDH (6ft 1 ), Rodon (about 6ft 4) and CCV (6ft 1) and Ollie (6ft 1) are 6ft or over and not all of them can dominate in the air as consistently as VDH.

We had the same issue under Rodgers, Sousa and Martinez but I feel that we need a dominant centre half next to Mike (maybe Rodon will become this player) and someone as big as Fer (6ft 2) in midfield. Over the years, when we've been successful, we've often had a taller central or attacking midfielder to compliment the small team that we've had. Pratley and Michu were both ok in the air and at least added some height.

I don't want to move away from what we're doing right with the players we have, but it's hard seeing all the hard work being undone every time the opposition have a corner.

Another option would be to have a keeper would comes off his line once in a while and doesn't flap when he does!

Didn't have the problem with Sousa!
Once Sousa sorted out Monk who was depending on Tate our defence was outstanding - it had to be with forwards he was given to work with.
Did someone suggest Carter-Vickers would add height

CC-V 1.83 m
MVdH - 1.90 m
Joe Rodon - 1.93 m
[Post edited 15 Apr 2019 19:56]

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Cameron Carter Vickers on 20:28 - Apr 15 with 1105 viewsChief

Cameron Carter Vickers on 18:55 - Apr 15 by jasper_T

Yea agreed. I'm not advocating necessarily signing him.

Doubt we would anyway without subsidised wages from spurs.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Cameron Carter Vickers on 20:32 - Apr 15 with 1103 viewsjasper_T

Cameron Carter Vickers on 19:25 - Apr 15 by ploppy

I agree he's conservative with his passing but I don't mind that - we have VdH who likes to foray forward and play the odd diagonal.

Joe definitely had a poor spell where he made some bad mistakes - mistakes that cost us goals. I haven't seen CCV make any.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have Joe, VdH and CCV.

He made mistakes in the run up to goals on Saturday.

Even then when you have a player that offers no forward threat the team as a whole becomes easier to stifle and shut down, and pressure mounts as you get stuck in your own half. A team that makes no obvious, direct mistakes can still lose football matches.

In fairness he's added more range to his passes and even a few forays into midfield in recent weeks. He's obviously technically capable of more than he's been doing. Either coaching is paying off or he's simply becoming more comfortable in the system (at home at least).
Cameron Carter Vickers on 08:33 - Apr 16 with 1029 viewsexiledinenglandjack

If we didn’t have joe and few more youngsters coming through I’d say yes. But, I’d rather pick up another vdh style signing of someone not playing at a big club abroad around 23/24 just with a bit more experience and drive
Login to get fewer ads

Cameron Carter Vickers on 12:10 - Apr 16 with 969 viewsBadlands

Cameron Carter Vickers on 08:33 - Apr 16 by exiledinenglandjack

If we didn’t have joe and few more youngsters coming through I’d say yes. But, I’d rather pick up another vdh style signing of someone not playing at a big club abroad around 23/24 just with a bit more experience and drive

As a CB deft at playing FB and CDM - Nick Viergever Dutch but maybe a little old for our manager but only if MVdH leaves.
I see another season building with Rodon, Harries and Cabagno being the way forward.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024