Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? 18:26 - Apr 15 with 6426 viewsjackrmee

Nice article here.
If Woods had arrived, we'd have lost £7mil and possibly Matt Grimes, as he most definitely would have started off the season at left back and we wouldn't have seen his best football.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/what-earth-happened-r

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 12:57 - Apr 16 with 1836 viewsKilkennyjack

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 10:30 - Apr 16 by PozuelosSideys

?

Bit of a strange response. You asserted that Woods and Grimes would be a similar partnership to Britton and Allen. Considering we have seen a lot of Grimes and plenty more of a Britton/Allen partnership, what makes you so sure that Woods would fit alongside Grimes in a similar positive way?

Considering Woods' game time has been limited, there is actually very little coverage of him out there, so i doubt youve been able to make a evidence-based decision from "internet or sky tv". This applies to both his time at Brentford and now Stoke.

Now. Educate me, peasant. Tell me why a Grimes/Woods partnership would work in the way you asserted, because the Britton/Allen combination was one of the best we have had in our lifetimes of watching the Swans.

You aching simpleton.

Its an internet forum.

I stated my view. Thats it.
People agree or disagree.
Nobody cares too much, right ?

You questioned my view, but you don't then get to decide if i reply to you, or how i reply to you.
Thats for me to decide.

Now run along, theres a good little boy ....

Beware of the Risen People

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 15:31 - Apr 16 with 1765 viewsPozuelosSideys

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 12:57 - Apr 16 by Kilkennyjack

Its an internet forum.

You questioned my view, but you don't then get to decide if i reply to you, or how i reply to you.
Thats for me to decide.

Ahh so you made it all up cos you have no idea. Got it and understood

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 18:25 - Apr 16 with 1695 viewsKilkennyjack

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 15:31 - Apr 16 by PozuelosSideys

Ahh so you made it all up cos you have no idea. Got it and understood

Sorry, are you saying that it is impossible for any Swans fan to have any view on Ryan Woods because you have not seen him playing ?

I think that shows you up for the self important w⚓️ you are...

He is a keep ball midfielder, its not hard for people to understand what that means.
He has played over 200 games in the Football League.
He is not some sort of secret.

What a fanny you are ..., 😂

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 23:34 - Apr 16 with 1636 viewsDJack

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 04:47 - Apr 16 by Kilkennyjack

Well ....firstly who fecking died and made you king...?
None of your fecking business, knob head.

Most people use something called the internet or even sky tv - try it - to take opportunities to watch players who nearly signed for their club.

He keeps the ball. Thats all you need to know. W⚓️.

A bit OTT there Kilks.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 23:40 - Apr 16 with 1625 viewshobo

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 23:34 - Apr 16 by DJack

A bit OTT there Kilks.

He has a point. Woods has spent the last 4 seasons in the English Championship. Hardly the Norwegian Elieserien
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 23:54 - Apr 16 with 1624 viewsPozuelosSideys

A bit OTT there Kilks.

Its funny, cos the original question i asked the bloke was serious as ive not been able to learn or see much about Woods, let along work out whether he would be any good in our style of play, let alone work well with Grimes, especially to the level of a Leon/Allen partnership. I ask the likes of Jasper questions about players all teh time, but plebjack had a tantrum instead of providing reasons other than "he keeps the ball".

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 12:00 - Apr 17 with 1539 viewskrunchykarrot

Chill, the question fans are waiting to see is will Trevor give GP the tools to have e realistic tilt at going up.

Now to the Woods question you're debating, GP has seen his side play some lovely stuff then capitulate like a Sunday league side after a night in the Top Rank if he thinks this player will fill one of his top three requests then yep i hope the club backs him but im not sure hes what we need myself. Id like us to find a ball winning holding DM captain splash all our budget if required and use the rest of the games to blood youngsters.

I firmly believe that we need to build a squad that can take us up for a long visit again, playing football not like Cardiff who by the way have built a yoyo squad in my opinion.
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 13:02 - Apr 17 with 1508 viewsjasper_T

Grimes is our holding DM so if you want a physical captain to bash heads maybe replace someone else in the starting lineup first.

Potter wanted Asoro and Woods so it's less about backing the manager and buying whoever he wants and more making good recruitment decisions in general (like not wasting £7m on Woods).
Login to get fewer ads

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 14:11 - Apr 17 with 1491 viewsBrynmill_Jack

A bit OTT there Kilks.

He’s had a babycham again. Embarrassing

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 14:13 - Apr 17 with 1486 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 12:57 - Apr 16 by Kilkennyjack

Its an internet forum.

Thats for me to decide.

You seem to care. Are you ok?

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 14:18 - Apr 17 with 1482 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 10:28 - Apr 16 by Uxbridge

Nobody could look good in that Stoke midfield. He's a Leon type, pass and move, they might as well have just given Charlie Adam £7m in Greggs vouchers and hope to cover the space that way.

We've no idea how things would have gone if he'd come here, and his time at Stoke is absolutely no judge in that regard. I doubt Grimes would have had the same game time though, and certainly not Byers, so there's some silver linings there. Pretty obvious Potter wanted him though.

The way I read it Potter wanted him 100% but when Huw f*cked up the Jordan Ayew sale there was no money left. His experience alone would have made a huge difference to the side, and not being able to afford him has cost us a playoff place. Cheers Huw !

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 14:41 - Apr 17 with 1462 viewsBadlands

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 14:18 - Apr 17 by Brynmill_Jack

The way I read it Potter wanted him 100% but when Huw f*cked up the Jordan Ayew sale there was no money left. His experience alone would have made a huge difference to the side, and not being able to afford him has cost us a playoff place. Cheers Huw !

Played in only 26 games all DM
Stoke gained
1.27 points per game with Woods playing defensive midfield.
1.6 points per game with Woods not I the side

4 assists

Not much in it but 0.3 points per game over the season is 16 point.

Grimes

Played in 40 games playing in three different positions (often changing position during games)

1.4 points per game

1 goal 3 assists

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 15:39 - Apr 17 with 1437 viewsjasper_T

Woods makes 1.2 tackles per game, Grimes 2.7

0.6 interceptions to 0.9

1.1 fouls to 0.6

0.9 clearances to 1.4

0.4 key passes to 1.0

Passing accuracy 84.4% to 87.2%

But yeah I'm sure Woods would have got us into the playoffs despite Grimes being better in practically every department in Woods favoured position. £7m bargain, innit.
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 15:48 - Apr 17 with 1430 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 15:39 - Apr 17 by jasper_T

Woods makes 1.2 tackles per game, Grimes 2.7

0.6 interceptions to 0.9

1.1 fouls to 0.6

0.9 clearances to 1.4

0.4 key passes to 1.0

Passing accuracy 84.4% to 87.2%

But yeah I'm sure Woods would have got us into the playoffs despite Grimes being better in practically every department in Woods favoured position. £7m bargain, innit.

That would have been nearly £10,000,000 on Potter's two key signings, Asoro and Woods.

Hopefully the new chairman puts in a place a far more stringent policy when assessing Potter's targets.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 16:55 - Apr 17 with 1415 viewsKilkennyjack

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 14:18 - Apr 17 by Brynmill_Jack

You are not allowed an opinion if you have not described, in some detail, how many times you have seen Woods play.
Sorry but thats the rule here now.

Yes i know he played a full game for Stoke against us earlier in the season.
Doesn’t matter.

Strangely.... i agree with you.
Potter knows.

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 11:25 - Apr 18 with 1314 viewsjackrmee

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 07:43 - Apr 16 by magicdaps10

Bit of a naive story.

How can any of us judge on Ryan Woods, he could have blossomed with us, there again he might not have.......fact is, he has never worn a Swansea shirt to judge if he has been any good for us or not.

Anyone taking the high ground on this article is simply a moronic idiot.

Don't know what you mean by "taking the high ground"?
I was just pointing out that we'd be £7mil worse off and would probably not have seen Grimes flourish.
I also posed a question of Woods or Grimes, which is probably why some people have given their opinions on it.

Seems like you're the one taking the high ground on this thread tbh.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 11:50 - Apr 18 with 1292 viewskrunchykarrot

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 13:02 - Apr 17 by jasper_T

Grimes is our holding DM so if you want a physical captain to bash heads maybe replace someone else in the starting lineup first.

Potter wanted Asoro and Woods so it's less about backing the manager and buying whoever he wants and more making good recruitment decisions in general (like not wasting £7m on Woods).

As much as i like Grimes ,player of the season for me by far. I feel we need to get someone in with experience who can sit in protect and captain. Rangel knows as he had QPR all at it.

Jasper i still think Asoro can play a bit got a bit of pace might surprise us?

As for good recruitment decisions thats where we are all bollooxed , so i think i would rather go with GP decisions after the past bad uns. Spending and panic buying on Bony Ayews etc to keep us up was a bad gamble that if it had worked would only have delayed the inevitable in my opnion.

Jasper where would you put a physical captain? Ive thought about CH instead of MVDH but cant really convince myself fully even though he needs to front up a bit more. Rodon we need to keep so FB?

Nice to have a decent conflab about football at the Swans.
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 13:35 - Apr 18 with 1247 viewsjasper_T

Goalscoring box to box player, like Fer was supposed to be. Someone to run about and thug it up rather than a more disciplined holding midfield role. Over 6'2 preferably. If you want a captain to lead by example you want them active in attack and defence.

I've been a big fan of Byers for years but he's the player in the starting lineup you'd think could be improved upon the easiest as a regular starter.
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 13:44 - Apr 18 with 1243 viewsjasper_T

But left back is the other big weakness. They're rare, though. Someone posted a 90 minute interview with Norwich's Stuart Webber the other day (I'm nearly halfway through it after many attempts) and that's one of the roles he says their youth teams focus on developing as it's hard to buy good ones (strikers are another so they usually play 4-4-2 in youth teams to get more on the pitch. "Neat and tidy" CMs can be found all over the place so they're confident of being able to buy in what they need there).

Asoro could certainly come good in time but it was £2m and a hefty wage for a player worse than what we had in our own u23s, as I said could well be the case at the time. The only thing Asoro had over DJ was opportunities last season (another thing Webber points out is so important). Potter knew more about Asoro than he did our own assets, hopefully going forward that mistake doesn't repeat itself.
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 14:19 - Apr 18 with 1227 viewsUxbridge

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 13:44 - Apr 18 by jasper_T

But left back is the other big weakness. They're rare, though. Someone posted a 90 minute interview with Norwich's Stuart Webber the other day (I'm nearly halfway through it after many attempts) and that's one of the roles he says their youth teams focus on developing as it's hard to buy good ones (strikers are another so they usually play 4-4-2 in youth teams to get more on the pitch. "Neat and tidy" CMs can be found all over the place so they're confident of being able to buy in what they need there).

Asoro could certainly come good in time but it was £2m and a hefty wage for a player worse than what we had in our own u23s, as I said could well be the case at the time. The only thing Asoro had over DJ was opportunities last season (another thing Webber points out is so important). Potter knew more about Asoro than he did our own assets, hopefully going forward that mistake doesn't repeat itself.

That last part is particularly relevant I think. The churn at management level is a big reason for that and other issues, and some consistency in the football management of the club is long overdue.

I don't think anyone, with the best will in the world, could have predicted that Dan James would have had the sort of stellar progression he has enjoyed in the second half of this season, plus Matt Grimes living up to the promise he showed at Exeter. Both had spells in the third tier last season, and neither pulled up any trees there (DJ couldn't get a game). You could see why Potter wanted recruitment in certain areas, but he'll have a much clearer view this summer than he could possibly have had last.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 15:24 - Apr 18 with 1194 viewsjasper_T

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 14:19 - Apr 18 by Uxbridge

That last part is particularly relevant I think. The churn at management level is a big reason for that and other issues, and some consistency in the football management of the club is long overdue.

I don't think anyone, with the best will in the world, could have predicted that Dan James would have had the sort of stellar progression he has enjoyed in the second half of this season, plus Matt Grimes living up to the promise he showed at Exeter. Both had spells in the third tier last season, and neither pulled up any trees there (DJ couldn't get a game). You could see why Potter wanted recruitment in certain areas, but he'll have a much clearer view this summer than he could possibly have had last.

The "DJ couldn't get a game" soundbite is overstated imo. He was there for a very short time (4 league games) as his first loan spell and didn't impress in training enough to get starts over established senior players like Alex Rodman who were on absolute fire for Shrewsbury (W3 D1). It's hard for untried youngsters to earn a manager's faith at the best of times, but when a team keeps winning at the top of the league (despite being relegation favourites) it's even harder. Managers are no less conservative in their selections lower down the leagues. McBurnie has also said DJ's poor in training as the norm, he's a match day performer.

He couldn't get a game for them to the same extent as he couldn't get a game for us this season. Didn't make his first start for Potter until a day later in the year than his 2017 return. Didn't start to impress until October. Lack of patience, trust and opportunity, not ability.

I've heard several versions of the story but some involve some poor treatment following injury niggles, which ended up hampering him until the new year. He certainly looked out of sorts when he lined up for Wales U21s against Portugal after returning. Sanches was also poor. Brooks was immense.

They certainly could have used him when their promotion campaign faltered in the second half of the season and they lost out in the playoffs.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is a big fan of Grimes and knew he'd flourish in a technical passing side. Northampton were unfortunately pretty poor.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 15:27]
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 17:43 - Apr 18 with 1156 viewskrunchykarrot

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 13:35 - Apr 18 by jasper_T

Goalscoring box to box player, like Fer was supposed to be. Someone to run about and thug it up rather than a more disciplined holding midfield role. Over 6'2 preferably. If you want a captain to lead by example you want them active in attack and defence.

I've been a big fan of Byers for years but he's the player in the starting lineup you'd think could be improved upon the easiest as a regular starter.

I think that's a bigger ask ,but i don't disagree with you i just think it might be easier for GP to buy in a holding experienced Captain. We definitely need a minder, or has Stuart Pierce got kids.

Big fan of Byers as well lot of people at beginning of season didn't rate him, i thought he did well against CP along with Cian.

Jasper who's ready or deserves to step up for the last few games?
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 19:05 - Apr 18 with 1134 viewsBadlands

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 17:43 - Apr 18 by krunchykarrot

I think that's a bigger ask ,but i don't disagree with you i just think it might be easier for GP to buy in a holding experienced Captain. We definitely need a minder, or has Stuart Pierce got kids.

Big fan of Byers as well lot of people at beginning of season didn't rate him, i thought he did well against CP along with Cian.

Jasper who's ready or deserves to step up for the last few games?

If James if at the end of the season I'd be playing those who are likely to be regulars.
If that means giving McKay and Astro more game time then fine.

Step up?

Keston
Cooper
Cian
Dhanda
For experience and give hope I would mind seeing the following under 23s playing some time.
Liam Cullen
Ben Cabango
Jordi Govea
Tyler Reid
Jordan Garrick
Maybe a bit too early for Tivonge Rushesha

For me Declan John is a lost cause.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 19:07 - Apr 18 with 1133 viewsjasper_T

Benda in goal. I'd have said Garrick deserves a few spells off the bench but he keeps getting injured.

No one in this u23s campaign has really put a hand up and demanded first team consideration. Most of those in the running haven't been playing much so they can stay with the first team training/travelling setup. There's no one in form and match sharp raring to go like DJ was last season when I was saying Carvalhal should stick him on instead of Routledge when we were behind in games and had nothing to lose.

Personally I don't think we need a thug at all. Fans like to see some blood and thunder on the pitch but it doesn't solve half the problems it might appear to. Good technical players who understand their jobs have always served us well, battling and physicality should always be secondary considerations: a bonus but not something you actively search out. Leaders can emerge over time.
Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 19:32 - Apr 18 with 1124 viewskrunchykarrot

Ryan Woods or Matt Grimes? on 19:05 - Apr 18 by Badlands

If James if at the end of the season I'd be playing those who are likely to be regulars.
If that means giving McKay and Astro more game time then fine.

Step up?

Keston
Cooper
Cian
Dhanda
For experience and give hope I would mind seeing the following under 23s playing some time.
Liam Cullen
Ben Cabango
Jordi Govea
Tyler Reid
Jordan Garrick
Maybe a bit too early for Tivonge Rushesha

For me Declan John is a lost cause.

Declan John is a strange one, cant for the life of me understand what the reason was we brought him in. Dhanda i think is a top notch player what ive seen of him although again lightweight and only able to play in a 10 position-ish he and John were exposed badly if iI remember correctly ( ive got man flu)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024