Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Notre Dame 18:46 - Apr 15 with 19745 viewslondonlisa2001

Dreadful pictures emerging of what looks like a devastating fire at Notre Dame in Paris.

An awe inspiring cathedral. Hopefully it can be saved and the damage repaired.

It’s absolutely gut wrenching to see such beauty being destroyed.
Notre Dame on 11:41 - Apr 16 with 2069 viewsDarran

Notre Dame on 11:39 - Apr 16 by lifelong

All the outpouring of grief on here saying that the building will never be the same again, it appears that it already wasn’t the same before the fire.

Mass hysteria Rog that’s what it is.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Notre Dame on 11:58 - Apr 16 with 2035 viewssnork44

Notre Dame on 20:35 - Apr 15 by Banosswan

The Catholic church aren't short.

I was going to say the same myself that the Catholic Church has more than enough money to rebuild Notre Dame , but with the amount of Priests and Bishops playing sexual leap frog with their choirboys worldwide ,then a vast amount of money is being probably being kept aside as compensation. Macron is asking the the French people to contribute Billions of Euros to rebuild the cathedral, but with anti-Catholic feeling in France and across Europe more than likely there will be a tax levied on the masses !

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Notre Dame on 12:49 - Apr 16 with 1982 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Here is an example of a beautiful building before it suffered a major fire, the aftermath of the fire and what it looked like after its restoration;

(1933)

--------------

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Notre Dame on 13:05 - Apr 16 with 1942 viewssherpajacob

Which will happen first.

Notre Dame is rebuilt and reopened, or.

The Grenfell residents are all permanently rehoused.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Notre Dame on 13:05 - Apr 16 with 1941 viewsHighjack

Notre Dame on 13:05 - Apr 16 by sherpajacob

Which will happen first.

Notre Dame is rebuilt and reopened, or.

The Grenfell residents are all permanently rehoused.

Jenn is that you babes?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Notre Dame on 13:48 - Apr 16 with 1880 viewswobbly

Notre Dame on 08:40 - Apr 16 by Highjack

Just a quick flick through her twitter shows everything that’s wrong with the world.

“Politics & Sociology student. Intersectional feminist, lefty twt , book geek, wannabe writer. Scot living and drinking in London. LGBTQ+ rights. She/her 💁🏻‍♀️“

She needs to be ‘intersectioned’

But probably identifies as Proxvir or at least Schrodigender. Kindred spirit?

Im sad about Notre Dame but take comfort that it is God’s will.
Notre Dame on 14:37 - Apr 16 with 1837 viewsLohengrin

Notre Dame on 13:05 - Apr 16 by Highjack

Jenn is that you babes?

Give me strength, eh!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Notre Dame on 15:03 - Apr 16 with 1809 viewslondonlisa2001

Notre Dame on 12:49 - Apr 16 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Here is an example of a beautiful building before it suffered a major fire, the aftermath of the fire and what it looked like after its restoration;

(1933)

--------------

The Reichstag was less than 40 years old when it burnt.

So it’s not even remotely equivalent.
Login to get fewer ads

Notre Dame on 15:08 - Apr 16 with 1797 viewslondonlisa2001

Notre Dame on 07:01 - Apr 16 by Lohengrin

I’ve only just got in, love. My eldest was messaging me in work last night letting me know what was happening. I’m absolutely crestfallen. So is she. Our shared Francophilia is one of the things that connects us. I can remember taking her there as a little girl and the two of us just being in awe. The immense privilege of standing in one of the ancient bastions of Christendom, of feeling a part of history’s great processio,of belonging.

The footage on the news I’m seeing now is just too sad for words.

I agree. It’s incredibly sad. Although it’s a huge relief that the interior, including the great North Rose Window doesn’t seem to be have been damaged anywhere near as badly as might have happened.

A phenomenal job by the Paris firefighters.

The sense of history in places such as Notre Dame is humbling. Makes you feel very small. Which, of course, is the point!
Notre Dame on 15:09 - Apr 16 with 1794 viewslondonlisa2001

Notre Dame on 08:40 - Apr 16 by Highjack

Just a quick flick through her twitter shows everything that’s wrong with the world.

“Politics & Sociology student. Intersectional feminist, lefty twt , book geek, wannabe writer. Scot living and drinking in London. LGBTQ+ rights. She/her 💁🏻‍♀️“

She needs to be ‘intersectioned’

A quick read of this thread shows much of what’s wrong with the world.

No respect for anything.
Notre Dame on 15:11 - Apr 16 with 1792 viewslondonlisa2001

Notre Dame on 11:36 - Apr 16 by Darran

It’s like Triggers broom but don’t tell Lisa.

No, it’s not.
Notre Dame on 15:25 - Apr 16 with 1763 viewsLohengrin

Notre Dame on 15:11 - Apr 16 by londonlisa2001

No, it’s not.

If you have to explain it in the first place some are just not going to ‘get it,’ love.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Notre Dame on 15:25 - Apr 16 with 1762 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

It’s very sad seeing old buildings like that burn , luckily no body was killed .

Let’s hope France Remembers this when it drops bombs on another country full of historical building in the future .

Viva la France 🇫🇷

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Notre Dame on 16:02 - Apr 16 with 1713 viewslondonlisa2001

Notre Dame on 15:25 - Apr 16 by Lohengrin

If you have to explain it in the first place some are just not going to ‘get it,’ love.

Indeed.

I find that genuinely surprising though. I’d always assumed that feeling you get when confronted with history and / or majestic beauty was universal. Much like the feeling you get when gazing up at the night sky.

Obviously I was mistaken.
Notre Dame on 16:27 - Apr 16 with 1695 viewsTreforys_Jack

Notre Dame on 16:02 - Apr 16 by londonlisa2001

Indeed.

I find that genuinely surprising though. I’d always assumed that feeling you get when confronted with history and / or majestic beauty was universal. Much like the feeling you get when gazing up at the night sky.

Obviously I was mistaken.

Some get it , some don't. I can go to a ruined castle, a cathedral, a battle site, and just feel the history coursing through my veins, it surrounds me. Notre Dame was such a place for me.
Notre Dame on 16:39 - Apr 16 with 1680 viewsWingstandwood

Notre Dame on 16:27 - Apr 16 by Treforys_Jack

Some get it , some don't. I can go to a ruined castle, a cathedral, a battle site, and just feel the history coursing through my veins, it surrounds me. Notre Dame was such a place for me.

Historical architecture, design, significance and accompanying emotions are a joy to behold!

I love the "frozen-in-time" aspect of it all.... people come....people go....people arrive on this earth....people depart this earth....fashion changes....society advances but certain things have remained in all splendour with all uniqueness and character.

I can understand fully why Prince Charles rants about modern architecture.

Argus!

Notre Dame on 16:52 - Apr 16 with 1661 viewslondonlisa2001

Notre Dame on 16:27 - Apr 16 by Treforys_Jack

I feel exactly the same. You can actually feel the connection with those that have stood there before. It’s as if there’s a thread linking us.

It’s not just places with a direct cultural link either. I’ve felt the same when gazing upon the Taj Mahal, the Great Temple at Luxor, the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur.
Notre Dame on 16:55 - Apr 16 with 1655 viewsDrizzy

Forgive some people for not giving that much of a f*ck about the burning roof of an old cathedral which was already undergoing much-needed restoration. Nobody died, nobody was seriously injured and 700m euros has already been pledged to its repair.

On the same day:

Algeria overthrows the military government that has controlled the country since the 1962 war of independence.

11 people dead in air strikes in Aleppo. I wonder how many ancient buildings in perhaps the oldest city in history have been consigned to rubble?

Thousands displaced in Tripoli as French-supported warlord Khalifa Haftar launches a military offensive on the city.

But of course, what's wrong with humankind is the contextualising of one partially destroyed historical landmark with no loss of human life.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Notre Dame on 17:17 - Apr 16 with 1620 viewswaynekerr55

Notre Dame on 16:55 - Apr 16 by Drizzy

Forgive some people for not giving that much of a f*ck about the burning roof of an old cathedral which was already undergoing much-needed restoration. Nobody died, nobody was seriously injured and 700m euros has already been pledged to its repair.

On the same day:

Algeria overthrows the military government that has controlled the country since the 1962 war of independence.

11 people dead in air strikes in Aleppo. I wonder how many ancient buildings in perhaps the oldest city in history have been consigned to rubble?

Thousands displaced in Tripoli as French-supported warlord Khalifa Haftar launches a military offensive on the city.

But of course, what's wrong with humankind is the contextualising of one partially destroyed historical landmark with no loss of human life.

Welcome back, Driz

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Notre Dame on 17:18 - Apr 16 with 1617 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

Notre Dame on 16:52 - Apr 16 by londonlisa2001

I feel exactly the same. You can actually feel the connection with those that have stood there before. It’s as if there’s a thread linking us.

It’s not just places with a direct cultural link either. I’ve felt the same when gazing upon the Taj Mahal, the Great Temple at Luxor, the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur.

Look at how well travelled you are!
Notre Dame on 17:30 - Apr 16 with 1607 viewsTreforys_Jack

On the same day:

it's my opinion and how I feel, hope that's okay
Notre Dame on 17:34 - Apr 16 with 1603 viewsTreforys_Jack

Notre Dame on 16:39 - Apr 16 by Wingstandwood

Historical architecture, design, significance and accompanying emotions are a joy to behold!

I love the "frozen-in-time" aspect of it all.... people come....people go....people arrive on this earth....people depart this earth....fashion changes....society advances but certain things have remained in all splendour with all uniqueness and character.

I can understand fully why Prince Charles rants about modern architecture.

Nicely put wingy, as I said some get it, some don't, not worth arguing about, just respect others opinions as equally as valid as your own. Would be a boring place if we were all the same.
Notre Dame on 17:43 - Apr 16 with 1593 viewsTreforys_Jack

Notre Dame on 16:52 - Apr 16 by londonlisa2001

Your first paragraph is spot on for me, I love to let history immerse me, can be anywhere from Fairwood airport to the Somme, to the Circus Maximus. Pennard castle is a particular favourite of mine.
Notre Dame on 17:50 - Apr 16 with 1578 viewsDarran

On the same day:

Outstanding post. Sky News is sickening too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Notre Dame on 17:54 - Apr 16 with 1568 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

It's great to see how many people on here care enough to let us all know how much they care. Clearly, they're brilliant people.
All I can remember about Notre Dame was buying firecrackers on a school trip and letting them off in the entrance.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 17:57]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024