Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garden Ponds 13:43 - Apr 20 with 6112 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

Are there any garden pond experts on here, I wonder?
Garden Ponds on 14:22 - Apr 20 with 5230 viewsdickythorpe

Who do you want drowning?
Garden Ponds on 21:45 - Apr 22 with 5088 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Dig a hole fill it with water.

What do you want to know.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Garden Ponds on 21:50 - Apr 22 with 5080 viewsfishman

Been in the aquatic trade for 36 yrs ,what would you like to know ?
Garden Ponds on 22:20 - Apr 22 with 5046 viewsmajorraglan

Garden Ponds on 21:50 - Apr 22 by fishman

Been in the aquatic trade for 36 yrs ,what would you like to know ?

That’s why I like Planet Swans so much, somebody somewhere will always have the answer or be able to help. Tremendous.
Garden Ponds on 22:22 - Apr 22 with 5045 viewslifelong

Dangerous for young children.
Garden Ponds (n/t) on 22:27 - Apr 22 with 5037 viewsBrynCartwright

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Garden Ponds on 22:32 - Apr 22 with 5028 viewsBrynCartwright

Garden Ponds are brilliant for wildlife...If I had the funds and garden space I would get one of these definitely...

https://www.clear-water-revival.com/swimming-ponds/

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Garden Ponds on 00:38 - Apr 23 with 4986 viewsDJack

Garden Ponds on 22:32 - Apr 22 by BrynCartwright

Garden Ponds are brilliant for wildlife...If I had the funds and garden space I would get one of these definitely...

https://www.clear-water-revival.com/swimming-ponds/

I wouldn't give that company any credence...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Login to get fewer ads

Garden Ponds on 01:13 - Apr 23 with 4976 viewsLeonWasGod

Garden Ponds on 22:22 - Apr 22 by lifelong

Dangerous for young children.

And hedgehogs if there isn’t a gentle slope to let them climb out. Short sighted little things that will easily fall into a new pond.
Garden Ponds on 01:13 - Apr 23 with 4975 viewsJack_Meoff

Garden Ponds on 00:38 - Apr 23 by DJack

I wouldn't give that company any credence...

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Garden Ponds on 01:29 - Apr 23 with 4967 viewsDJack

Garden Ponds on 01:13 - Apr 23 by Jack_Meoff

Thank you, I'm here all week.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Garden Ponds on 06:40 - Apr 23 with 4930 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garden Ponds on 01:29 - Apr 23 by DJack

Thank you, I'm here all week.

You’re quackers ducky lol

My GF has a small holding (steady!) and had a pond dug our when she bought the place. Because of the amount of land it’s a big pond and it regularly attracts ducks and a heron. In winters past a pair of Canada geese have stayed briefly during their migration - that must have been an awesome sight.

And to cap it all, during the heat of last summer a troupe of orangutans turned up!

Ok the last bit isn’t true

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Garden Ponds on 08:18 - Apr 23 with 4894 viewsfishman

Garden Ponds on 01:13 - Apr 23 by LeonWasGod

And hedgehogs if there isn’t a gentle slope to let them climb out. Short sighted little things that will easily fall into a new pond.

Well said ,agreed
Garden Ponds on 08:20 - Apr 23 with 4886 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

The pond is raised so unless the hedgehogs bring their ladders they'll be ok.

The pond is very green and visibility is zero. The fish that are in there must be happy though as I've discovered so baby ones swimming around.

My question is how do I get it clean so we can watch the fish?
Garden Ponds on 09:03 - Apr 23 with 4865 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garden Ponds on 01:13 - Apr 23 by LeonWasGod

Only if you don’t put the appropriate signage and barriers in place

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Garden Ponds on 09:53 - Apr 23 with 4841 viewsdickythorpe

Isn't there a fish or certain plant shrub that filters the pond water so it gets clear?(as near as damn it)
Garden Ponds on 11:33 - Apr 23 with 4811 viewsfishman

Garden Ponds on 08:20 - Apr 23 by Alberto_Swinglehurst

The pond is raised so unless the hedgehogs bring their ladders they'll be ok.

The pond is very green and visibility is zero. The fish that are in there must be happy though as I've discovered so baby ones swimming around.

My question is how do I get it clean so we can watch the fish?

The only guaranteed way to keep a pond clear is to have a filter which has to have a UV light attached ,it might sound complicated ,but in truth its easy .
A pump would push the water through the filter ,the UV will kill all the algae [ which is whats making your pond go green] and the filter collects all the dead algae ,bingo ,clear pond !
The filter /pump/UV ould have to be based on the volume of the pond to make sure it can do the job,a filter HAS to have the UV though ,they have to work in tandem.
WORST thing to do is empty the pond and put in loads of "nice clean " water,really bad for the fish ,plus it will be back to where you started after week .
If you want to see what i am waffling about ,i have a new shop opening right opposite the entrance to the Liberty ,you can call or ring if you want it explained better ,by the way "no hard sell" we are happy to advise ,but we do sell everything thats needed ,or you can PM me ,
Garden Ponds on 13:43 - Apr 23 with 4769 viewsWingstandwood

Garden Ponds on 11:33 - Apr 23 by fishman

The only guaranteed way to keep a pond clear is to have a filter which has to have a UV light attached ,it might sound complicated ,but in truth its easy .
A pump would push the water through the filter ,the UV will kill all the algae [ which is whats making your pond go green] and the filter collects all the dead algae ,bingo ,clear pond !
The filter /pump/UV ould have to be based on the volume of the pond to make sure it can do the job,a filter HAS to have the UV though ,they have to work in tandem.
WORST thing to do is empty the pond and put in loads of "nice clean " water,really bad for the fish ,plus it will be back to where you started after week .
If you want to see what i am waffling about ,i have a new shop opening right opposite the entrance to the Liberty ,you can call or ring if you want it explained better ,by the way "no hard sell" we are happy to advise ,but we do sell everything thats needed ,or you can PM me ,

Fish keeping is intriguing!

Many years back I (without intent) bred Kribs on a few occasions in a tropical fish tank. Am I right to assume that particular species is a more ideal candidate with an higher likelihood to breed in home tank environment? I used to wake up in the morning to see new born arrivals being corralled around the tank by their protective piscean parents. I do not know where eggs were laid? I guess either buried or hidden in a hollow ornamental castle for protection.

I partitioned the tank with some D.I.Y improvised segregation using clear plastic bags wrapped around knitting needles to prevent predation from other fish species. I often wonder if cold water species can be bred in an outdoor pond environment?

Argus!

Garden Ponds on 14:18 - Apr 23 with 4754 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

Thank you for your expert advise and I am sure to pop in at some point to your new shop. I've an expert coming around in the next hour (he's a neighbour of a relative) to have a look and advise. Hopefully I can get one of the pump/filter/uv thingies set up and the waters will begin to clear. I must say it's a jolly new hobby. I'm wondering how many fish there are in the murky depths...
Garden Ponds on 14:43 - Apr 23 with 4748 viewsCooperman

My father has one of these built into the architecture of his pond which he designed and built himself. It truly is a work of art and the pump / box is well hidden which is a good thing as it would spoil the aesthetics of the surroundings. The pump and filter works extremely well and makes for crystal clear water all year round which no doubts helps with the breeding of his fish. There are a few other things to be mindful of namely protection from birds and protection for any toddlers that might visit you.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Garden Ponds on 15:00 - Apr 23 with 4735 viewsfishman

Garden Ponds on 13:43 - Apr 23 by Wingstandwood

Fish keeping is intriguing!

Many years back I (without intent) bred Kribs on a few occasions in a tropical fish tank. Am I right to assume that particular species is a more ideal candidate with an higher likelihood to breed in home tank environment? I used to wake up in the morning to see new born arrivals being corralled around the tank by their protective piscean parents. I do not know where eggs were laid? I guess either buried or hidden in a hollow ornamental castle for protection.

I partitioned the tank with some D.I.Y improvised segregation using clear plastic bags wrapped around knitting needles to prevent predation from other fish species. I often wonder if cold water species can be bred in an outdoor pond environment?

With Kribs ,its often more difficult to STOP them breeding !!
Plenty of [true] coldwater fish are able to be bred outside ,the most obvious of course the good old goldfish
Garden Ponds on 15:03 - Apr 23 with 4734 viewsfishman

Garden Ponds on 14:18 - Apr 23 by Alberto_Swinglehurst

Thank you for your expert advise and I am sure to pop in at some point to your new shop. I've an expert coming around in the next hour (he's a neighbour of a relative) to have a look and advise. Hopefully I can get one of the pump/filter/uv thingies set up and the waters will begin to clear. I must say it's a jolly new hobby. I'm wondering how many fish there are in the murky depths...

No problem ,you are welcome.
Should you decide to go down the filter / UV route ,we can beat any price including online prices plus you get a face to face to ask as many questions as you want
Apologies for the sales blurb !! but we all got to put bread on the table
Garden Ponds on 15:38 - Apr 23 with 4725 viewsWingstandwood

Garden Ponds on 15:00 - Apr 23 by fishman

With Kribs ,its often more difficult to STOP them breeding !!
Plenty of [true] coldwater fish are able to be bred outside ,the most obvious of course the good old goldfish

Them Kribs, I thought there was something about em.

Before it happened with me, I always thought that tropical fish could only be bred to coin a term "out in the wild".

Something nice about breeding em, it adds a whole lot of extra interest and the unexpected arrival of a few more completely out of the blue is a lovely surprise.

Argus!

Garden Ponds on 16:34 - Apr 23 with 4712 viewsfishman

Garden Ponds on 15:38 - Apr 23 by Wingstandwood

Them Kribs, I thought there was something about em.

Before it happened with me, I always thought that tropical fish could only be bred to coin a term "out in the wild".

Something nice about breeding em, it adds a whole lot of extra interest and the unexpected arrival of a few more completely out of the blue is a lovely surprise.

Approx 80+% of tropical fish are commercially bred ,mostly in the far east ,Singapore,Malaysia,Thailand etc
Virtually 100% of coldwater fish are commercially bred

Garden Ponds on 17:51 - Apr 23 with 4691 viewsthe_oracle

Garden Ponds on 16:34 - Apr 23 by fishman

Approx 80+% of tropical fish are commercially bred ,mostly in the far east ,Singapore,Malaysia,Thailand etc
Virtually 100% of coldwater fish are commercially bred

We dug a hole and put in an old corner bath. Filled it with tap water and a few water plants from the neighbours. Six years later its full of newts, various insects and frogs. we use a small solar fountain to keep it oxygenated. Water keeps filled by rain water and is clear. No fish as we don't want tadpoles eaten.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024