Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game of thrones 09:49 - Apr 23 with 10658 viewssmellyjack

So come on let’s hear your theories.

What will happen at next weeks “battle of winterfell episode”?

Is the mad king the night king?

Who will land the throne?
Game of thrones on 09:34 - Apr 30 with 1751 viewsLeonWasGod

Game of thrones on 08:50 - Apr 30 by DrGonzo

Very little music to heighten the intensity? Are you sure you watched the same thing as me?

Probably had the mute button on

Watched it last night - it was a corker. Although the music was a pain in the butt - constantly having to turn it up to hear what anyone said and then down again for the blast of music Not sure if it's just our TV but this seems to be the norm for any film/drama like this.
Game of thrones on 09:34 - Apr 30 with 1751 viewsGreatBritton

I'm enjoying all this cello music going on in GOT. Underrated instrument, the cello. It's the Leon of the orchestra for me.
Game of thrones on 11:04 - Apr 30 with 1712 viewsMrSwerve

Game of thrones on 09:34 - Apr 30 by LeonWasGod

Watched it last night - it was a corker. Although the music was a pain in the butt - constantly having to turn it up to hear what anyone said and then down again for the blast of music Not sure if it's just our TV but this seems to be the norm for any film/drama like this.

I thought it was only me doing that with the volume!

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Game of thrones on 12:30 - Apr 30 with 1665 viewsJackSomething

Game of thrones on 16:56 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

Disagree, see previous post.

It's "Game of Thrones", not "FIre and Ice" for a reason.

The main story was always the fate of the throne.

You might want to tell George Martin that, seeing as the book series is named 'A Song of Ice and Fire'.

You could make the argument that the show runners decided from the start to concentrate on the battle for the Iron Throne, hence naming the series after the first book instead. But if that was true, why did they open the series with the same scene as the books, north of the Wall with some rangers being killed by a White Walker? The more likely reason for the name change is that 'A Song of Ice and Fire' is not a great title, certainly not for a premium TV series.

I know Martin has shared info about his plans with Benioff and Weiss, but he has certainly kept things back. The more they've passed the books, the worse the storytelling has become (not that the later books don't have their own problems, slowing the pace to a crawl as is common in epic fantasy series). It's one thing to adapt the rich world-building and character development from the books and another to invent it yourself.

I'm still enjoying the series and enjoyed last night's episode, but it's a shadow of what it was previously. Compared to Hardhome and the Battle of the B*stards (both also past the books), The Long Night was disappointing.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Game of thrones on 15:00 - Apr 30 with 1613 viewsDr_Winston

Game of thrones on 12:30 - Apr 30 by JackSomething

You might want to tell George Martin that, seeing as the book series is named 'A Song of Ice and Fire'.

You could make the argument that the show runners decided from the start to concentrate on the battle for the Iron Throne, hence naming the series after the first book instead. But if that was true, why did they open the series with the same scene as the books, north of the Wall with some rangers being killed by a White Walker? The more likely reason for the name change is that 'A Song of Ice and Fire' is not a great title, certainly not for a premium TV series.

I know Martin has shared info about his plans with Benioff and Weiss, but he has certainly kept things back. The more they've passed the books, the worse the storytelling has become (not that the later books don't have their own problems, slowing the pace to a crawl as is common in epic fantasy series). It's one thing to adapt the rich world-building and character development from the books and another to invent it yourself.

I'm still enjoying the series and enjoyed last night's episode, but it's a shadow of what it was previously. Compared to Hardhome and the Battle of the B*stards (both also past the books), The Long Night was disappointing.

That's assuming the "Ice and Fire" of that title is about the war against the White Walkers.

There is a school of thought that it's actually a reference to Jon Snow's Stark/Targaryen ancestry and the "Song of Ice and Fire" is actually just his story, of which the war against the Night King is only part.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Game of thrones on 16:39 - Apr 30 with 1555 viewsProfessor

Nothing can compare to the visceral shock that is Hardhome.

I liked it-built tension well, with noble endings for some great characters and a great redemption arc for Theon. 4 hours left.
Game of thrones on 16:44 - Apr 30 with 1551 viewsLuther27

Game of thrones on 09:34 - Apr 30 by LeonWasGod

I was convinced there was hardly any music throughout on this episode until the final five minutes. I'll have to pay more attention
Game of thrones on 16:54 - Apr 30 with 1544 viewsbluey_the_blue

Yeah, it's a TV series not a book ;)

The battle for the Iron Throne has always been the key. The battle vs the white walkers has always been the sub plot - many have seen it as vice versa. The reality is that regardless of the threat of the white walkers, it's always been the desire for power that has been the underlying theme.

That's for me why the current story on the TV is superb. Cersei, someone with a ruthless lust for power would magically give a sh1t and help against the white walkers rather than cement her position by letting others do the work? Worst case scenario, she and her forces fight a weakened Night King, best case, Night King defeated and she then faces a depleted force of claimants for the throne.
Login to get fewer ads

Game of thrones on 17:02 - Apr 30 with 1542 viewsBanosswan

Game of thrones on 16:54 - Apr 30 by bluey_the_blue

The battle for the Iron Throne has always been the key. The battle vs the white walkers has always been the sub plot - many have seen it as vice versa. The reality is that regardless of the threat of the white walkers, it's always been the desire for power that has been the underlying theme.

That's for me why the current story on the TV is superb. Cersei, someone with a ruthless lust for power would magically give a sh1t and help against the white walkers rather than cement her position by letting others do the work? Worst case scenario, she and her forces fight a weakened Night King, best case, Night King defeated and she then faces a depleted force of claimants for the throne.

The night king wouldn't have been weakened, he'd have thousands of new recruits and two more dragons.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Game of thrones on 17:04 - Apr 30 with 1540 viewsbluey_the_blue

Game of thrones on 17:02 - Apr 30 by Banosswan

The night king wouldn't have been weakened, he'd have thousands of new recruits and two more dragons.

I was writing from Cersei's perspective. I don't think her character believes in the Night King the way the others do, hence underplaying the impact should the Night King have prevailed. Cersei has always been self-serving, I doubt she believed the Night King could raise the undead.
Game of thrones on 17:15 - Apr 30 with 1531 viewsDrGonzo

Game of thrones on 17:04 - Apr 30 by bluey_the_blue

I was writing from Cersei's perspective. I don't think her character believes in the Night King the way the others do, hence underplaying the impact should the Night King have prevailed. Cersei has always been self-serving, I doubt she believed the Night King could raise the undead.

Of course she believes in the Night King. She was brought a wight.
Game of thrones on 18:53 - Apr 30 with 1483 viewsbluey_the_blue

Game of thrones on 17:15 - Apr 30 by DrGonzo

Of course she believes in the Night King. She was brought a wight.

But without the knowledge of Jon Snow, Sam and others... I think she doesn't realise the full nature of what the threat was, saw it as something that could be dealt with.

Promise to provide forces, meanwhile keep the army at Kings Landing. Smacks of playing a clever game. Snow et al win, they are weakened. She probably underestimated Night King's forces and powers, believing if he/she/it won, the too would be weakened.
Game of thrones on 19:12 - Apr 30 with 1476 viewsJackSomething

Game of thrones on 16:54 - Apr 30 by bluey_the_blue

It's actually a TV adaptation of a book. An adaptation that has struggled to maintain those standards once they ran out of material to adapt.

When they were adapting the books, they were able to give us genuine shocks (if you hadn't read the books) like killing Ned, the Red Wedding, Jon being stabbed, etc. They haven't had the same courage since and the plot armour the main characters were wearing during the battle became ridiculous. There were no surprising deaths. Edd, Jorah and Beric may as well have been wearing red shirts.

I like your points about Cersei though and feel like the showrunners probably agree with you. I think you'd probably get a lot out of the books.

The Doc also makes a good point I hadn't considered about the meaning of Ice and Fire.

The wife and I saw Endgame on Sunday. She came out of that with serious problems regarding the plot, while I was happy to breeze past them because I saw the film as a mostly fitting end to an epic story. I think we reversed positions for GOT last night.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Game of thrones on 19:25 - Apr 30 with 1472 viewsbluey_the_blue

Game of thrones on 19:12 - Apr 30 by JackSomething

It's actually a TV adaptation of a book. An adaptation that has struggled to maintain those standards once they ran out of material to adapt.

When they were adapting the books, they were able to give us genuine shocks (if you hadn't read the books) like killing Ned, the Red Wedding, Jon being stabbed, etc. They haven't had the same courage since and the plot armour the main characters were wearing during the battle became ridiculous. There were no surprising deaths. Edd, Jorah and Beric may as well have been wearing red shirts.

I like your points about Cersei though and feel like the showrunners probably agree with you. I think you'd probably get a lot out of the books.

The Doc also makes a good point I hadn't considered about the meaning of Ice and Fire.

The wife and I saw Endgame on Sunday. She came out of that with serious problems regarding the plot, while I was happy to breeze past them because I saw the film as a mostly fitting end to an epic story. I think we reversed positions for GOT last night.

I've got the books. Not got the time to read them tbh and what I've read, Martin's style isn't great.

IMO, Martin didn't know where he was going with the books, hence the ridiculous amount of time. It's as if he's been waiting for the showrunners to give an ending he can then tweak a bit.

I think if they'd thrown shock deaths in, ie Dany, Jon Snow then people would have crapped all over it and rightly so. This series has been about getting the right people into the right places for the right ending - the battle for the throne.
Game of thrones on 20:34 - Apr 30 with 1418 viewsDrGonzo

The show has struggled with the since series 5 began imho.

I love the books. If you can find the time then get on it, I think they are fantastic. Only struggled with one if them which was a feast for crows.

Not reading the book means you miss Victarian Greyjoy and Strong Belwas.
Game of thrones on 20:47 - Apr 30 with 1410 viewsexiledclaseboy

I just instigated a conversation with the mrs based only on the info gleaned from this thread. She laughed at my feeble attempts to sound informed.

Poll: Tory leader

Game of thrones on 20:51 - Apr 30 with 1406 viewsDarran

Game of thrones on 19:25 - Apr 30 by bluey_the_blue

I've got the books. Not got the time to read them tbh and what I've read, Martin's style isn't great.

IMO, Martin didn't know where he was going with the books, hence the ridiculous amount of time. It's as if he's been waiting for the showrunners to give an ending he can then tweak a bit.

I think if they'd thrown shock deaths in, ie Dany, Jon Snow then people would have crapped all over it and rightly so. This series has been about getting the right people into the right places for the right ending - the battle for the throne.

So you haven’t read the books but you don’t think the author knew where he was going with them?

Makes sense to someone I suppose.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Game of thrones on 21:17 - Apr 30 with 1381 viewsbluey_the_blue

Game of thrones on 20:51 - Apr 30 by Darran

So you haven’t read the books but you don’t think the author knew where he was going with them?

Makes sense to someone I suppose.

No, I've read most of the first one.

I was referring more to the endless delays getting the latest one out by Martin. It's almost as if getting the TV money coming in was more important, deferring a decision on the ending until showrunners had to make their own call.
Game of thrones on 21:35 - Apr 30 with 1373 viewsDr_Winston

Game of thrones on 21:17 - Apr 30 by bluey_the_blue

No, I've read most of the first one.

I was referring more to the endless delays getting the latest one out by Martin. It's almost as if getting the TV money coming in was more important, deferring a decision on the ending until showrunners had to make their own call.

It's almost as if an idiosyncratic writer with very particular habits when working has found it extremely difficult to produce two books during a period of intense scrutiny and interest, whereas before the show came out he could happily devote his entire time to writing them with nobody bothering him.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Game of thrones on 21:51 - Apr 30 with 1359 viewsbluey_the_blue

Game of thrones on 21:35 - Apr 30 by Dr_Winston

It's almost as if an idiosyncratic writer with very particular habits when working has found it extremely difficult to produce two books during a period of intense scrutiny and interest, whereas before the show came out he could happily devote his entire time to writing them with nobody bothering him.

Or he has writer's block. Who knows?
Game of thrones on 23:59 - Apr 30 with 1315 viewsDyfnant

Game of thrones on 20:34 - Apr 30 by DrGonzo

The show has struggled with the since series 5 began imho.

I love the books. If you can find the time then get on it, I think they are fantastic. Only struggled with one if them which was a feast for crows.

Not reading the book means you miss Victarian Greyjoy and Strong Belwas.

Season 7 was fantastic

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Game of thrones on 03:46 - May 1 with 1268 viewsGlyn1

What's Game of Thrones? BBC or ITV?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Game of thrones on 07:53 - May 1 with 1205 viewsbluey_the_blue

Game of thrones on 03:46 - May 1 by Glyn1

What's Game of Thrones? BBC or ITV?

Sky
Game of thrones on 08:46 - May 1 with 1180 viewsDrGonzo

Game of thrones on 23:59 - Apr 30 by Dyfnant

Season 7 was fantastic

It had it's moments. Still struggled with pure shock moments after going beyond the books.

As an aside and without watching it again, did we see what Viserons blue flame did to people? Does it burn or freeze or what?
Game of thrones on 10:15 - May 1 with 1141 viewsDyfnant

Game of thrones on 08:46 - May 1 by DrGonzo

It had it's moments. Still struggled with pure shock moments after going beyond the books.

As an aside and without watching it again, did we see what Viserons blue flame did to people? Does it burn or freeze or what?

The only things I noticed his flame make contact with were structures, which looked like they exploded perhaps through the expansion.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024