Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keep or sell? Poll 19:41 - Apr 24 with 2697 viewsjackrmee

I was actually quite surprised with how many of our squad I voted to keep. Be interesting to see these results. Get on it girls and boys.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-keep-sel

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Keep or sell? Poll on 18:25 - Apr 25 with 582 viewsZaxx

Keep or sell? Poll on 17:48 - Apr 25 by Private_Partz

Is the correct answer.
Trouble is I don't think the Yanks have the wit or the inclination. The Hedge Fund is all important so I think we will sell anything that moves.
Massive shame because, had we recruited sensibly in the January window, we could easily have been in the playoffs or even auto.

I actually don't think it's about wit or inclination tbh, I think it's about business sense.
I very much agree that with a good recruitment policy we could have done very much better and still can next season too. However, that ship seems to have sailed under the captainship of the previous incumbent which has led to a certain cynicism.
I don't think that trust is a matter for supporters alone.
Fingers burned hurt from an emotional sense and a business sense. Let's hope that we are rebuilding from the ground up and it's not just sound bytes hey?
Keep or sell? Poll on 18:47 - Apr 25 with 569 viewsjasper_T

Keep or sell? Poll on 17:28 - Apr 25 by karnataka

If it was up to me, I'd keep the nucleus of our best team together, sell the unwanted high earners (AA, JA, BB & LN) and use some of that money to add 2-3 key players to mount a challenge next season. Unfortunately, I can't see any of that happening but would love to be wrong.

How are you planning to add 2/3 key players on a budget of less than zero? We need to sell the high earners because the club is running at a loss (income down another £10m+ next season compared to this one) and it's extremely unlikely that anyone is going to pay significant sums for Andre Ayew (relegation battle with one of the biggest teams in Turkey, struggles to get games), Borja Baston (relegation battle with one of the smallest teams in Spain, struggles to get games) or Luciano Narsingh (out of contract). Jordan may pull in a fee but nothing like the £8/9m we were offered early last summer.

Money for key players will come from cashing in on key players like DJ who have attracted interest from moneybags PL clubs. We just have to do what Norwich did and make smart recruitment decisions with a fraction of the proceeds. Should be easy...
Keep or sell? Poll on 19:03 - Apr 25 with 555 viewsPrivate_Partz

Keep or sell? Poll on 18:25 - Apr 25 by Zaxx

I actually don't think it's about wit or inclination tbh, I think it's about business sense.
I very much agree that with a good recruitment policy we could have done very much better and still can next season too. However, that ship seems to have sailed under the captainship of the previous incumbent which has led to a certain cynicism.
I don't think that trust is a matter for supporters alone.
Fingers burned hurt from an emotional sense and a business sense. Let's hope that we are rebuilding from the ground up and it's not just sound bytes hey?

My reply would be the same as to Jasper. Its wit and inclination to gamble and get a better return on their investment.
After all they came in to take us to the next level and be able to take the hit of relegation. Or so we were told.
Selling the big earners who did not feature this season and bringing in some experience should not be beyond their wit or inclination. Should not cost a fortune either if we have a good scouting set up.
They have more than likely lost out big time this season as well by not supporting Potter in the January window.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 19:06]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Keep or sell? Poll on 19:45 - Apr 25 with 529 viewsvalleyboy

Keep or sell? Poll on 18:47 - Apr 25 by jasper_T

How are you planning to add 2/3 key players on a budget of less than zero? We need to sell the high earners because the club is running at a loss (income down another £10m+ next season compared to this one) and it's extremely unlikely that anyone is going to pay significant sums for Andre Ayew (relegation battle with one of the biggest teams in Turkey, struggles to get games), Borja Baston (relegation battle with one of the smallest teams in Spain, struggles to get games) or Luciano Narsingh (out of contract). Jordan may pull in a fee but nothing like the £8/9m we were offered early last summer.

Money for key players will come from cashing in on key players like DJ who have attracted interest from moneybags PL clubs. We just have to do what Norwich did and make smart recruitment decisions with a fraction of the proceeds. Should be easy...

But isn’t that what most Championship and lower clubs are also trying to do

If you listened to some, Asoro was supposed to be an up and coming footballing star

To me Swansea wasted £2 million on buying him
Keep or sell? Poll on 19:46 - Apr 25 with 529 viewsjasper_T

Keep or sell? Poll on 19:03 - Apr 25 by Private_Partz

My reply would be the same as to Jasper. Its wit and inclination to gamble and get a better return on their investment.
After all they came in to take us to the next level and be able to take the hit of relegation. Or so we were told.
Selling the big earners who did not feature this season and bringing in some experience should not be beyond their wit or inclination. Should not cost a fortune either if we have a good scouting set up.
They have more than likely lost out big time this season as well by not supporting Potter in the January window.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 19:06]

We were more than a Woods or another Asoro away from guaranteed promotion this season.

They gambled last season and lost massively. I'm delighted they've not thrown good money after bad (theirs or the clubs) and let the youngsters we invested heavily in have their chance. It's definitely a gamble that's paid off for them and the club. Many assets increased in value by an order of magnitude, and the football has been largely terrific this calendar year.

Norwich didn't gamble. Sheffield United haven't. Forest, Stoke and Villa did. You can't buy this league even if you spend Wolves money, if you've not got the right foundations in place (and the right agents getting you players with no business slumming it in this league).
Keep or sell? Poll on 20:01 - Apr 25 with 521 viewsPrivate_Partz

Keep or sell? Poll on 19:46 - Apr 25 by jasper_T

We were more than a Woods or another Asoro away from guaranteed promotion this season.

They gambled last season and lost massively. I'm delighted they've not thrown good money after bad (theirs or the clubs) and let the youngsters we invested heavily in have their chance. It's definitely a gamble that's paid off for them and the club. Many assets increased in value by an order of magnitude, and the football has been largely terrific this calendar year.

Norwich didn't gamble. Sheffield United haven't. Forest, Stoke and Villa did. You can't buy this league even if you spend Wolves money, if you've not got the right foundations in place (and the right agents getting you players with no business slumming it in this league).

You make it sound like players are not out there. They are but it needs a good scouting system to source them. Use the loan market as well. It need not be a fortune.
The Yanks did not gamble last season. The problems of the Jenkins incompetence are owned entirely by the club.
I am not sure they gambled on the youngsters being a success this season either. They just left Potter to it and weakened the side further in the January window.
I bet they are pleasantly surprised at the success of the youngsters. Unfortunately I think that pleasure is dollar signs in the eyes and what they can make in selling them on.
Basically they have not done anything that remotely presents any risk of loss to their Hedge Fund.
I hope they prove me wrong but they showed their petticoats in the last window. Even the self serving Jenkins fell on his sword as a result.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 20:09]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Keep or sell? Poll on 20:24 - Apr 25 with 507 viewsjasper_T

Keep or sell? Poll on 19:45 - Apr 25 by valleyboy

If you listened to some, Asoro was supposed to be an up and coming footballing star

I agree. We jumped the gun replacing wingers that then didn't leave, with a lad who only looked good because he had a chance to step up due to Sunderland being desperate, essentially. Given the same chance DJ is now on PL hitlists, as I said could happen at the time.

It's not easy but that's the reality of the task in this division. It's very rare any club is holding on to superstars like Grealish who develop faster than their club. But you can still progress while losing Madisons and Murphys if recruitment is smart, if you're patient with your acquisitions, and if you allow opportunities for an Aarons or a Lewis to emerge behind them.

Chasing instant success with more spending has no guarantees. As Potter said in late-Jan/early Feb, it's actually pretty difficult to find players who will improve our team. The young lads who broke through this season weren't here by accident, they were the best from a successful development outfit that took years to assemble and develop. Thinking it must be easy to go out and spend £1m on a thug for our midfield and have it produce x more points is short-sighted.

The Stuart Webber interview is fantastic btw. Puts into context a lot of decisions made at a club that's on a (hopefully) similar journey to ours.

[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 20:25]
Keep or sell? Poll on 20:27 - Apr 25 with 499 viewsPrivate_Partz

Keep or sell? Poll on 19:45 - Apr 25 by valleyboy

I think he may come good next season. That is assuming we have any team of note left for him to play in.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024