Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Competency based interviews 18:49 - Apr 25 with 2228 viewsMrSwansea

What a load of old tripe.

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

Competency based interviews on 19:52 - Apr 25 with 2172 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

They have their origins in the criminal justice system; a way of testing people's recall and memory of events as suspects and witnesses. Unfortunately in some organisations the process and models have taken over from the aim of the exercise to gather evidence of what actually happened e.g. if you go for a job that requires particular experience can you describe examples accurately to indicate that you have relevant experience.
Recently, I asked an HR manager how a particular candidate had performed in interview, she said not good his answers did not fit the competence model, I asked was he able to describe what needs to be done to manage a continuous improvement project, yes she said he seemed to know his stuff.
The job was for a continuous improvement project manager!
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 19:54]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Competency based interviews on 20:19 - Apr 25 with 2131 viewsmajorraglan

Competency based interviews on 19:52 - Apr 25 by JACKMANANDBOY

They have their origins in the criminal justice system; a way of testing people's recall and memory of events as suspects and witnesses. Unfortunately in some organisations the process and models have taken over from the aim of the exercise to gather evidence of what actually happened e.g. if you go for a job that requires particular experience can you describe examples accurately to indicate that you have relevant experience.
Recently, I asked an HR manager how a particular candidate had performed in interview, she said not good his answers did not fit the competence model, I asked was he able to describe what needs to be done to manage a continuous improvement project, yes she said he seemed to know his stuff.
The job was for a continuous improvement project manager!
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 19:54]

Agree with this - it all depends on who is running the process and why.
The system should provide a framework whereby the right/best candidate for the job is identified during the interview with more emphasis in capability as opposed to the good bull...... bluffing their way through but it doesn’t always work that way.
I recently observed a Competency Based Interview process where a number of people were applying for jobs. This process was well put together and the successful applicants were the experienced individuals with hands on experience and substance, the more eloquent speakers with less experience didn’t fare so well.
Competency based interviews on 09:08 - Apr 27 with 1927 viewsMrSwansea

Competency based interviews on 20:19 - Apr 25 by majorraglan

Agree with this - it all depends on who is running the process and why.
The system should provide a framework whereby the right/best candidate for the job is identified during the interview with more emphasis in capability as opposed to the good bull...... bluffing their way through but it doesn’t always work that way.
I recently observed a Competency Based Interview process where a number of people were applying for jobs. This process was well put together and the successful applicants were the experienced individuals with hands on experience and substance, the more eloquent speakers with less experience didn’t fare so well.

My issues is not experience, very experienced in my trade. I struggle with recall and understanding exactly what they want.

The job I am going for I am over experienced for but it is large organisation with chance to progress and I am relocating.

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

Competency based interviews on 11:11 - Apr 27 with 1856 viewsmajorraglan

Competency based interviews on 09:08 - Apr 27 by MrSwansea

My issues is not experience, very experienced in my trade. I struggle with recall and understanding exactly what they want.

The job I am going for I am over experienced for but it is large organisation with chance to progress and I am relocating.

If they are following the system I have seen then they will be setting the questions from the role profile, in essence the tasks or functions you are required to fulfil. They will then mark the questions against the personal qualities/ competencies - it’s usually a case of 2 or 3 areas being marked in any 1 question and there is normally a predetermined “check list” where you have to cover the point to get the mark.

The way I would prepare is to look at the role profile, think about my best example of it and prepare a detailed answer for it. The look at the competencies to see how they fit in, which ones you have included and which ones you haven’t then adapt the answer to include what you have missed out.

One of the areas that was being tested in the process I observed was Professionalism, things they were looking for in this area were taking ownership of problems/situations and being determined when dealing with challenging situations; others were feedback; being a role model to others and remaining calm when dealing with conflict/disagreements.

So for example, if you said something like “at the end of the task or job I sought feedback on my performance” that would give you a mark. If you break the answer down and provide a detailed reply you score better. So for the statement re conflict/disagreements, if you said you took them to one side, listened to their concerns privately, offered support remained I,partial and calm and pointed out the potential benefits of doing something another way etc you will score this and probably more from other areas.
I hope this is helpful and hasn’t come across in a patronising way, it wasn’t meant to. The process varies from organisation to organisation, I can only comment on what I have seen.

Good luck.
Competency based interviews on 11:12 - Apr 27 with 1854 viewsNotLoyal

Everyone gets the same shout, equality.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Competency based interviews on 11:29 - Apr 27 with 1846 viewsbluey_the_blue

Competency based interviews on 11:12 - Apr 27 by NotLoyal

Everyone gets the same shout, equality.

Not necessarily.

A potential client wanted my company to do "tests" to show competence. I swiftly told potential client their tests were crap, didn't display any relevance to the work and were so bloody noddy even PS poster Saint Helens could have aced them. If required, they'd be invoiced for time spent on them.
Competency based interviews on 11:48 - Apr 27 with 1834 viewsDr_Winston

Competency based application processes tend to favour bullshitters who can write/talk a good game rather than play one.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Competency based interviews on 12:38 - Apr 27 with 1811 viewschad

In the words of queen: play the game.

A formulaic, foolproof method of recruitment, fine if you want fools recruiting and happy that applicants can learn answers and parrot them out.

Let’s reject Einstein as his interpersonal skills are not up to scratch.

Let’s forget how people fit in teams and how a balance of abilities across the team is more important than a wonderful across the board mediocrity.

As always some reasonable concepts that have the life squeezed out of them by taking them to the n th degree.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024