Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
26 games we haven't won this season 18:59 - Apr 27 with 1554 viewsdickythorpe

Success some say. Discuss....
26 games we haven't won this season on 19:15 - Apr 27 with 1511 viewsLandore_Jack

Defensively we are crap!

#backtojack

26 games we haven't won this season on 19:16 - Apr 27 with 1505 viewsDJack

27 games we didn't lose...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

26 games we haven't won this season on 19:20 - Apr 27 with 1485 viewsjasper_T

26 games we haven't won this season on 19:15 - Apr 27 by Landore_Jack

Defensively we are crap!

We had (before today) the joint third best defensive record in the league from open play. So we're not crap defensively for this level. Except for corners, free kicks, throw ins and penalties.
26 games we haven't won this season on 19:29 - Apr 27 with 1431 viewsdobjack2

26 games we haven't won this season on 19:20 - Apr 27 by jasper_T

We had (before today) the joint third best defensive record in the league from open play. So we're not crap defensively for this level. Except for corners, free kicks, throw ins and penalties.

And the stats don’t lie on this one.

The $64,000 question is what are we going to do about our defence of set pieces and decision making around the box? Change in players, change in coaches, change of tactics? Or a permutation of these options?

If there are no changes then there will probably be no change in this statistic next season.
26 games we haven't won this season on 19:34 - Apr 27 with 1415 viewsjasper_T

26 games we haven't won this season on 19:29 - Apr 27 by dobjack2

And the stats don’t lie on this one.

The $64,000 question is what are we going to do about our defence of set pieces and decision making around the box? Change in players, change in coaches, change of tactics? Or a permutation of these options?

If there are no changes then there will probably be no change in this statistic next season.

Big Steve Benda catching a few crosses.

We've gone man to man defending corners the last two games, which I said would be disastrous given ow small we are...
26 games we haven't won this season on 19:47 - Apr 27 with 1389 viewsswan65split

Also the games we could have lost.
26 games we haven't won this season on 19:50 - Apr 27 with 1383 viewslifelong

We haven’t drawn enough games, before today we’d only drawn 8 games, a fair few of the games we have lost we should have, at least, drawn.
26 games we haven't won this season on 19:58 - Apr 27 with 1360 viewsSgorioFruit

horrendous goalkeeper management this season

also Dyer and Routs being in the line up from day one would have seen us much better off.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Login to get fewer ads

26 games we haven't won this season on 20:01 - Apr 27 with 1350 viewsjasper_T

26 games we haven't won this season on 19:58 - Apr 27 by SgorioFruit

also Dyer and Routs being in the line up from day one would have seen us much better off.

McKay, Asoro and Dhanda started the season ahead of Routledge, Dyer and DJ in the pecking order. No wonder we needed Montero to come on and rescue games.
26 games we haven't won this season on 20:24 - Apr 27 with 1314 viewsmajorraglan

26 games we haven't won this season on 19:58 - Apr 27 by SgorioFruit

With Dyer and Routs on the team I reckon that more points would have been collected.
26 games we haven't won this season on 20:51 - Apr 27 with 1279 viewsGroo

Absolutely successful season, but only if we strengthen and move forward over the summer.

After the upheaval last summer who'd have expected us to get so close, we could easily have done a Sunderland and gone two successive relegations.

Groo does what Groo does best

26 games we haven't won this season on 20:56 - Apr 27 with 1269 viewsdobjack2

26 games we haven't won this season on 19:34 - Apr 27 by jasper_T

Big Steve Benda catching a few crosses.

We've gone man to man defending corners the last two games, which I said would be disastrous given ow small we are...

I can see us selling nordfeldt and developing Benda to fight with muldur for the no1 spot.

Todays news regarding VDH makes it probably more rather than less likely IMHO that he will leave. If He goes, so be it, but we will need to make a smart replacement.

The key to next season for me is retaining as many key players as possible and how we recruit to replace those who will leave. Doesn’t have to be big money as Norwich have shown but smart use of what is available.

An on the pitch leader is a necessity though. If vdh goes an experienced battle hardened championship centre half and leader could work wonders.
26 games we haven't won this season on 20:59 - Apr 27 with 1262 viewsjasper_T

26 games we haven't won this season on 20:51 - Apr 27 by Groo

Absolutely successful season, but only if we strengthen and move forward over the summer.

After the upheaval last summer who'd have expected us to get so close, we could easily have done a Sunderland and gone two successive relegations.

Knowing the players we had it would have been a disaster of a season to come close to relegation. You'd have to know nothing about the club or this league or Sunderland's situation to think it would be easy.

It wasn't easy for them to do what they did. Spectacular mismanagement at every turn.
26 games we haven't won this season on 21:47 - Apr 27 with 1200 viewsFlashberryjack

26 games we haven't won this season on 20:56 - Apr 27 by dobjack2

I can see us selling nordfeldt and developing Benda to fight with muldur for the no1 spot.

Todays news regarding VDH makes it probably more rather than less likely IMHO that he will leave. If He goes, so be it, but we will need to make a smart replacement.

The key to next season for me is retaining as many key players as possible and how we recruit to replace those who will leave. Doesn’t have to be big money as Norwich have shown but smart use of what is available.

An on the pitch leader is a necessity though. If vdh goes an experienced battle hardened championship centre half and leader could work wonders.

It wouldn't surprise me if we sold Bedna and kept Nordfeldt.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

26 games we haven't won this season on 22:21 - Apr 27 with 1175 viewsPentyrchJack

Overall a satisfactory season in a mediocre league with only a few clubs really playing us off the park (eg Norwich at Liberty). I'm a big fan of Potter for what he's achieved with limited resources but I do think performances like today (and numerous others where we lost from a losing position or were totally outclassed / outfought like QPR) show up Potter's shortcomings too. Defensively awful at set pieces, failure to go for the kill when cruising (today), woeful tactical substitutions (today with Dyer off) and sticking with Nordfelt the worst keeper in at least 10 years.

Yes the Board need to look at themselves and take responsibility, so do the players and so does Potter who needs to wisen and toughen up because it's a travesty that an anti-football team like Boro are above us and challenging for the play offs.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2019 22:38]

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

26 games we haven't won this season on 09:48 - Apr 29 with 951 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Or 27 games we have not lost this season.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

26 games we haven't won this season on 10:58 - Apr 29 with 899 viewsjack247

Norwich and Sheffield United have both dropped points in 19 games this season and been incredibly successful.
26 games we haven't won this season on 11:16 - Apr 29 with 882 viewsjackrmee

26 games we haven't won this season on 19:20 - Apr 27 by jasper_T

Exactly this. We have something major to work on now in the close season. Maybe sign a few who will help in that respect.
How many of those 26 un-won games would have changed if we hadn't conceded any from set-pieces? Or even if we were up there with the best set-piece defenders in the league, as opposed to an unrealistic 'none' conceded?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

26 games we haven't won this season on 11:51 - Apr 29 with 861 viewsSwan91

Young team who made many rookie mistakes that youngsters make in the first part of the season.... took a while to realise who is the best fit in the team.

definitely grew into the season as time went on. Depending on transfers next window, we can do much better next season. all the younger ones have a season in the championship.

Restructuring and building for the future.. I definitely think a success. Definitely a manager to keep long term.. and just need better additions to move forward.
26 games we haven't won this season on 12:10 - Apr 29 with 836 viewsjasper_T

26 games we haven't won this season on 11:16 - Apr 29 by jackrmee

Exactly this. We have something major to work on now in the close season. Maybe sign a few who will help in that respect.
How many of those 26 un-won games would have changed if we hadn't conceded any from set-pieces? Or even if we were up there with the best set-piece defenders in the league, as opposed to an unrealistic 'none' conceded?

A point each against West Brom, Ipswich and Forest for a start.
26 games we haven't won this season on 12:14 - Apr 29 with 823 viewsjack247

26 games we haven't won this season on 11:51 - Apr 29 by Swan91

Young team who made many rookie mistakes that youngsters make in the first part of the season.... took a while to realise who is the best fit in the team.

definitely grew into the season as time went on. Depending on transfers next window, we can do much better next season. all the younger ones have a season in the championship.

Restructuring and building for the future.. I definitely think a success. Definitely a manager to keep long term.. and just need better additions to move forward.

As has been said above, we’re not bad defensively and don’t make more mistakes from open play than most of our peers do.

We must be a dream to take set pieces against though, whether that’s down to inexperience, coaching, tactics, or just a lack of height in the team, I don’t know. Soft goals from corners and free kicks have cost us.
26 games we haven't won this season on 12:22 - Apr 29 with 814 viewsjasper_T

26 games we haven't won this season on 12:14 - Apr 29 by jack247

As has been said above, we’re not bad defensively and don’t make more mistakes from open play than most of our peers do.

We must be a dream to take set pieces against though, whether that’s down to inexperience, coaching, tactics, or just a lack of height in the team, I don’t know. Soft goals from corners and free kicks have cost us.

Need Rodon back in for that extra 2%.
26 games we haven't won this season on 12:30 - Apr 29 with 806 viewsjack247

26 games we haven't won this season on 12:22 - Apr 29 by jasper_T

Need Rodon back in for that extra 2%.

Maybe. He’s certainly got the height on CCV. You know more than me, I’m torn between a generally short team, minus VdH and McBurnie and needing to work on marking at and defending set plays.

Probably a combination of both, but I’m edging towards the latter as the goals seem to come from positional errors more than players getting out jumped or out fought
26 games we haven't won this season on 12:32 - Apr 29 with 799 viewsjackrmee

26 games we haven't won this season on 11:51 - Apr 29 by Swan91

I don't think it even depends on transfers...we can and will do much better next season with the squad we have.
Now I know we will lose some, so they'll have to be replaced, so I guess you're right when you say "depending on transfers" in that case.
But my point is, I think we will improve next season even if we lose DJ, Leroy, Naughton/Olssen. I reckon we will keep hold of the rest of the main starters, bar CCV.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

26 games we haven't won this season on 15:11 - Apr 29 with 715 viewsBadlands

CVC starting - conceded average of 1.5 goals
Joe starting - conceded average of 1.1. goals.

(I think)

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024