Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Homeless veterans 12:15 - Apr 29 with 838 viewscontroversial_jack

A genuine question here. Why are there so many homeless military veterans on our streets these days? I have heard that many are institutionalised and some are traumatised by what they have seen, etc.

I have been told many times by those who have done it that military life gives young people the necessary skills and self discipline to succeed in life, hence national service.

I don't remember many veterans from years ago that ended up homeless and many had seen lot's of action too. It didn't seem to be a problem in the past or was it just not reported ?
Homeless veterans on 12:45 - Apr 29 with 817 viewsjackrmee

Lack of support for mental health throughout the country.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Homeless veterans on 13:23 - Apr 29 with 793 viewsdickythorpe

I don't care how hard or tough anyone says someone is or how hard they think and say they are .

Once you've experienced a situation in your life that makes you realise how easy life can be taken away it will affect you.

There's a lack of support and apathy even.

Education and awareness is key to all plus better "signposting" (hate using buzz words)
Homeless veterans on 14:58 - Apr 29 with 740 viewssquarebear

A lot has changed since 1945 that could have contributed to the rise in homelessness.

There have been societal changes, such as the shift from a traditional working class extended family system to a nuclear family unit that offers less support to its family members.

Women have attained equality. No longer do they busy themselves in the scullery while the traumatised ex-soldier (and breadwinner) kicks the parlour furniture around before disappearing to the pub. The stigma of divorce nowadays is far-reduced.
Homeless veterans on 15:25 - Apr 29 with 714 viewsUxbridge

The inadequate levels of mental health provisions in this country is utterly scandalous, and doesn't get anywhere close to the attention it should. It's only recently that society has caught up with the reality of how debilitating mental illness can be and how it can affect people in so many different ways, many of which are unseen and, until recently, in ways people were told to get on with rather than seeking help. You only have to see the waiting lists of the likes of CAMHS to see how inadequate the current provisions are. Obviously no criticisms of the heroes involved in the system of course, they're let down by those who provision and fund them.

I don't know how true it is to say that military veterans are more likely to be homeless than anyone else, whether more likely to suffer mental trauma than anyone else, if the levels of support they have within the armed services are adequate or what provisions they have after leaving, but generally such support has only been weakened by Govt policy across the board in recent years, and that's scandalous.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Homeless veterans on 15:40 - Apr 29 with 687 viewsNotLoyal

I've lost two friends from mental health issues since I left, both were homeless, both committed suicide.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Homeless veterans on 17:06 - Apr 29 with 621 viewsLeonWasGod

Homeless veterans on 15:40 - Apr 29 by NotLoyal

I've lost two friends from mental health issues since I left, both were homeless, both committed suicide.

How do people adjust to civvy street? I'm assuming a lot of the mental health issues are directly related to what people go through in post, but how difficult is it to come back of a duller (although doubtlessly safer) routine?
Homeless veterans on 17:48 - Apr 29 with 593 viewsjackrmee

Homeless veterans on 17:06 - Apr 29 by LeonWasGod

How do people adjust to civvy street? I'm assuming a lot of the mental health issues are directly related to what people go through in post, but how difficult is it to come back of a duller (although doubtlessly safer) routine?

Also paying bills, taxes, shopping. People on your case all the time for rent, debts, fines, MONEY. Life in "normal" society is hard if you're not used to it, or don't fit in.
Mental health conditions may be exacerbate. Substance misuse can occur/get worse, or even cause mental health issues.

This country doesn't give a fuk about anyone unless they are feeding the pockets of the politicians and the fuking Queen, who these guys have been brainwashed into "protecting", while realistically feeding the aformentioned people's pockets all along.

There aren't proper provisions for people who have mental health issues anyway, let alone people coming out of the forces with PTSD etc.
Even if you do manage to get some help, miss a couple of appointments and you're struck off and have to start the process of seeking help all over again. That can be too much for some people to handle.
Yet we can spend millions on wars, Trident, fuk knows what else. It's disgusting.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Homeless veterans on 18:36 - Apr 29 with 568 viewsdickythorpe

Great post there.

MONEY is a problem. Lack of it and even too much.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024