Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Switch from zonal marking 00:40 - Apr 30 with 2201 viewsjackrmee

I didn't watch the game Saturday, as I was away, so this is the first I've seen of GPs change in tactics when it comes to defending corners.
Someone mentioned it to me and I may have seen something said in another thread, but not sure.

I think this shows how GP and the boys HAVE been working on things in training and most definitely are trying to learn from their mistakes.
I've heard a lot on here chastising how no-one is learning and Potter should be doing something about it.
Well they obviously have been working hard in training to plan how they can stop our crazy set piece stats and are trying something new. I know there will be plenty of "about effing time" posts, but really, what's the rush? It may seem like a simple change from zonal to man2man marking being professional footballers and all that, but to get this done right there must have been weeks, if not months of trial and error, testing and practice.
It seems like they are well drilled in who's got what job and I like the change.
The article only shows two corners, but they dealt with them (just). Time will tell if it works.

All in all, a very positive move, as many managers are hell bent on 'their' style and won't adapt. GP has shown all season that he's more than willing to change tact and try new things. Some say tinkering, I say testing.

GP and the players are all learning together. This is fuking great to see. Everything is always moving forward, small step by small step. And tbh, I've felt this from the very first game of the season. We are moving forward and we are improving. It would have been nice to get in the playoffs this year, but like I said before, what's the rush? As long as we continue to move forward it doesn't matter how long it takes. I can't wait for next season!

https://swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/analysis-a-key-tactical-change-we-didnt-expe

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Switch from zonal marking on 02:16 - Apr 30 with 2172 viewsWhiterockin

Really cant understand why we don't, when defending corners have two players possibly James and Dyer on the halfway line. This will automatically take three of their players out of their attacking equation. Our players are not the tallest, so play to our advantage not theirs.
Switch from zonal marking on 04:14 - Apr 30 with 2151 viewsSA4

Switch from zonal marking on 02:16 - Apr 30 by Whiterockin

Really cant understand why we don't, when defending corners have two players possibly James and Dyer on the halfway line. This will automatically take three of their players out of their attacking equation. Our players are not the tallest, so play to our advantage not theirs.

They did this on Saturday and a few times in the games before that
Switch from zonal marking on 08:13 - Apr 30 with 2017 viewsItchySphincter

F* ck me, professional centre halves defending a corner!! Whatever next?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Switch from zonal marking on 09:08 - Apr 30 with 1974 viewsjasper_T

We played man to man against Ipswich as well. Still headers being won and a goalkeeper nowhere near things, but no goals conceded so far.

The "rush" for promotion is because the best players will leave and income drops year on year.
Switch from zonal marking on 09:40 - Apr 30 with 1941 viewsLeonWasGod

Great post and interesting link, thanks.
Switch from zonal marking on 09:51 - Apr 30 with 1934 viewsTenbySwan

I noticed the change on Saturday and it was very pleasing to see.
The effort and commitment of all the players and Management team this year has been the most pleasing thing. We may have made mistakes but the commitment to the cause has been much more important.
I really hope the summer window doesn't unravel things.
Switch from zonal marking on 11:57 - Apr 30 with 1871 viewsBadlands

We don't have enough tall players to be effective at corners if we use man-to-man marking.
I think one of the reasons Fulton was brought on or Dyer (v Hull) was to add height in defence, unfortunately Fulton was back to his usual form.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Switch from zonal marking on 11:59 - Apr 30 with 1868 viewsjackrmee

Switch from zonal marking on 09:08 - Apr 30 by jasper_T

We played man to man against Ipswich as well. Still headers being won and a goalkeeper nowhere near things, but no goals conceded so far.

The "rush" for promotion is because the best players will leave and income drops year on year.

I get that, but the best players are always going to leave Swansea City. We have to be prepared for this and get the club in a situation where we are ready for this and able to quickly restore what we sell.

Income means very little imo. Again, we need to get used to running a club on a shoestring. Maybe when we are prepared for these eventualities, we will be ready to get promoted again.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Login to get fewer ads

Switch from zonal marking on 14:58 - Apr 30 with 1796 viewsjasper_T

Switch from zonal marking on 11:59 - Apr 30 by jackrmee

I get that, but the best players are always going to leave Swansea City. We have to be prepared for this and get the club in a situation where we are ready for this and able to quickly restore what we sell.

Income means very little imo. Again, we need to get used to running a club on a shoestring. Maybe when we are prepared for these eventualities, we will be ready to get promoted again.

Income means everything.
Switch from zonal marking on 15:25 - Apr 30 with 1778 viewskrunchykarrot

Switch from zonal marking on 11:57 - Apr 30 by Badlands

We don't have enough tall players to be effective at corners if we use man-to-man marking.
I think one of the reasons Fulton was brought on or Dyer (v Hull) was to add height in defence, unfortunately Fulton was back to his usual form.

Rodon would have been brought on if your theory is correct we did man up v Hull. Fulton didnt do to badly. 2-0 up i would have brought Celina on for WR who should have wrapped it up @3-1 with OMB moving to a 9 , he must have been fresh as he didnt do much.

Ollie had a shocker i know he scored but seriously what was he doing, took all the space from DJ who likes to go inside 95% of the time and i think he lost his man for one of the goals.
Switch from zonal marking on 15:31 - Apr 30 with 1774 viewsFireboy2

Switch from zonal marking on 15:25 - Apr 30 by krunchykarrot

Rodon would have been brought on if your theory is correct we did man up v Hull. Fulton didnt do to badly. 2-0 up i would have brought Celina on for WR who should have wrapped it up @3-1 with OMB moving to a 9 , he must have been fresh as he didnt do much.

Ollie had a shocker i know he scored but seriously what was he doing, took all the space from DJ who likes to go inside 95% of the time and i think he lost his man for one of the goals.

I was saying at the time wtf is fulton coming on, get celina on and go for the fvcking throat but no lets bring them onto us, we all know what happened next
Switch from zonal marking on 15:37 - Apr 30 with 1771 viewsjasper_T

Switch from zonal marking on 15:25 - Apr 30 by krunchykarrot

Naughton was taking up those overlapping wide left positions Celina usually plays in, and while he found the spaces well enough he knew he couldn't do anything with the ball when he got it. They managed our left hand side pretty well but it wasn't made especially difficult for them except for a couple of direct DJ runs, which he could have done more of despite the extra coverage they had behind his marker.
Switch from zonal marking on 16:20 - Apr 30 with 1747 viewsBytholWyn

Whilst Potter clearly prefers a zonal system, it's too his credit that he's been willing to adopt a pragmatic approach rather than a dogmatic one. - by switching to a man-marking system, for now at least.

Whatever the system we adopt a lot of our troubles are down can be attributed to the lack of height in the team and the absence of a commanding goalkeeper. We may be able to mitigate these problems with a change to a man-marking system - but I suspect that the opposition will find a way around this. Even though Hull's goals didn't come from set pieces as such, both goals involved headed key passes. The first was mainly down to CCV not pushing out quickly enough - but the assist that led to the goal involved a Hull player winning an aerial ball against Routledge. The second also came from a height mis-match, between a Hull player and Connor Roberts, releasing the winger on the left to cross for the goal.

So, until we acquire the services of a commanding goalkeeper (or Mulder progresses, as he was decent in that respect early doors), and we get a bit better balance in the height of the team, we will continue to suffer I suspect - with there only being so much Potter and the coaching staff can do about it. But we've got to improve even with the limited resources we have at our disposal.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 16:21]
Switch from zonal marking on 16:25 - Apr 30 with 1738 viewsFireboy2

Switch from zonal marking on 15:37 - Apr 30 by jasper_T

Naughton was taking up those overlapping wide left positions Celina usually plays in, and while he found the spaces well enough he knew he couldn't do anything with the ball when he got it. They managed our left hand side pretty well but it wasn't made especially difficult for them except for a couple of direct DJ runs, which he could have done more of despite the extra coverage they had behind his marker.

Naughton not having a left foot doesnt help, surely pro fottballers should be able to at least swing their weaker foot around the ball, watching him get on the outside of the right back but check back inside waa very frustrating to say the least.
Switch from zonal marking on 16:42 - Apr 30 with 1724 viewsBytholWyn

One bug bear of mine is the close-up camera angles used for all matches at the Liberty that make it impossible to see whether goals are onside or not. Hull's equalizer was suspiciously offside - but the goalscorer doesn't come into shot until after the cross has been put in. Even the camera behind the goal didn't include the goalscorer in view at the critical juncture.

There's been a few games like that of late where there have been dodgy decisions that it's impossible to know whether they're legitimate or not. We have ambitions to being a progressive club, emulating the best in European football - can that not extend to the camera work? I'm fed up of all this old-fashioned British-style close-up stuff where it's impossible to see the full context of what's happening.
Switch from zonal marking on 16:46 - Apr 30 with 1716 viewsBytholWyn

Switch from zonal marking on 15:37 - Apr 30 by jasper_T

James had a good game overall, and could easily have had a hat-trick of assists, but he should have made better use of an opportunity he had to run at the defence from deep, with only one defender to beat. He decided to cut inside, losing possession, rather than going straight for goal, burning the defender for pace on the outside. Those are the sort of poor decisions that he will need to improve on (and probably will) if he's going to develop into the top player that his pace and dribbling ability suggest he can be.
Switch from zonal marking on 16:47 - Apr 30 with 1714 viewsLeonWasGod

Switch from zonal marking on 16:25 - Apr 30 by Fireboy2

Naughton not having a left foot doesnt help, surely pro fottballers should be able to at least swing their weaker foot around the ball, watching him get on the outside of the right back but check back inside waa very frustrating to say the least.

Just think about what you've written there. "watching him [Naughton] get on the outside of the right back". Yes, that really happened and yet you want MORE? You may as well ask for the moon on a stick
Switch from zonal marking on 17:16 - Apr 30 with 1690 viewsjasper_T

Switch from zonal marking on 16:46 - Apr 30 by BytholWyn

James had a good game overall, and could easily have had a hat-trick of assists, but he should have made better use of an opportunity he had to run at the defence from deep, with only one defender to beat. He decided to cut inside, losing possession, rather than going straight for goal, burning the defender for pace on the outside. Those are the sort of poor decisions that he will need to improve on (and probably will) if he's going to develop into the top player that his pace and dribbling ability suggest he can be.

One thing I've always liked about him - and commentators often get wrong when watching him - is that he doesn't always go forward. He's not got a one-track mind. If a chance or a run isn't on, he won't take it. He'll come back and recycle play and go again.

But it went too far that way against Hull. They had three men parked in front of him so often that turning back became his first option after a while. Our second goal actually came just after he'd thrown his hands up in frustration at a good run being ignored, and just decided to go at the defence and got his cross away.

When he and Celina play together it's much harder to shut him down, as there's a second direct running threat playing in the same areas. If/when DJ steps up a level he (probably) won't be the main man with teams dedicating extra men to covering him.
Switch from zonal marking on 18:11 - Apr 30 with 1653 viewsBytholWyn

Switch from zonal marking on 17:16 - Apr 30 by jasper_T

One thing I've always liked about him - and commentators often get wrong when watching him - is that he doesn't always go forward. He's not got a one-track mind. If a chance or a run isn't on, he won't take it. He'll come back and recycle play and go again.

But it went too far that way against Hull. They had three men parked in front of him so often that turning back became his first option after a while. Our second goal actually came just after he'd thrown his hands up in frustration at a good run being ignored, and just decided to go at the defence and got his cross away.

When he and Celina play together it's much harder to shut him down, as there's a second direct running threat playing in the same areas. If/when DJ steps up a level he (probably) won't be the main man with teams dedicating extra men to covering him.

Good points, and it will inevitably be harder for James at a higher level simply because of the quality of the opposition. He certainly won't get as much space as he was afforded to deliver beautifully flighted crosses as he was at times against Hull. Varying his game will be the key to his success - or otherwise. The other day against Rotherham he initially looked to cut inside - bunching up the Rotherham covering defenders in a central position. When he then turned around and made a beeline for the goal-line he then had plenty of space to exploit his explosive pace off the mark - leading to an assist. Smart play. If he can add better finishing he will be a tremendous player. He may be anyway.
Switch from zonal marking on 23:48 - Apr 30 with 1516 viewsBadlands

Switch from zonal marking on 16:46 - Apr 30 by BytholWyn

I thought he was kept vey quiet - their No2 blacked him wide and their 6 cut off the inside route.
For me the QPR & Hull games showed Daniel up for what he is - a very good prospect.
The Rotherham game showed up another weakness in his play - his final ball decision making. Whether it's shooting (weakly) when a pass is a better option, holding on to the ball too long, failing with one on ones or just running out f ideas and getting dispossessed.
He certainly gets us off our seats but he has a long way to go to be a PL standard player.

Switch from zonal marking on 16:58 - May 1 with 1356 viewsNotLoyal

This shows even more the ability that Potter has to not only see and manage an issue but to Implement it to young players in the infancy of their adult careers. And not only that for it to be obvious on the pitch.
For me, if we get top six next year he will be proven as a far better manager than Sousa or Martinez.
The guys gold dust.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Switch from zonal marking on 12:02 - May 10 with 1130 viewsjackrmee

Someone posted a link on another thread on Pep which I can't find now, but it's very interesting.

This paragraph by one of his analysts shows how difficult it is for teams get time for specific training on fixing mistakes.
When we play as many games as we do in this league, it's understandably taking time to work on our set pieces. But I do believe we are working on them. This switch to man to man has so obviously taken a lot pf time to get going due to these constraints.

"You’re working in a club that has a game every three days, so you just don’t have time to correct all their mistakes on the pitch. You therefore need to use other methods to communicate the corrections which are impossible to get through to them during a game. If you happen to have a whole week of training sessions then, of course, you can plan a series of exercises to correct the errors. For example, if the defensive line is too high or too deep, or if there’s too much space between the team lines, or there’s a problem dealing with crosses, or if we are defending badly at the front post. Otherwise, the most efficient method is to show them visual images, because that gets the idea across very quickly.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/15/pep-guardiola-bayern-munich-pep

Switch from zonal marking on 12:38 - May 10 with 1107 viewsBadlands

Switch from zonal marking on 15:31 - Apr 30 by Fireboy2

I was saying at the time wtf is fulton coming on, get celina on and go for the fvcking throat but no lets bring them onto us, we all know what happened next

Celina and Rodon weren't fit.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024