Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local Elections 2019 10:16 - May 3 with 11905 viewsLord_Bony

The two big parties taking a hammering. Lib Dem’s gain.

People are frustrated over Brexit.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Local Elections 2019 on 10:26 - May 3 with 2907 viewsHighjack

The +229 seat surge for independents is rather telling too.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Local Elections 2019 on 10:45 - May 3 with 2890 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's traditional protest vote time again.

Seems Lib Dems have finally shaken off coalition stigma so people protesting by voting for them.

Expected a big loss for Tories so no surprise but it's concerning for Labour they've not made major gains you'd expect the main opposition to mid term against an unpopular government.

Lib Dems will claim it's about Remain / second referendum, Curtice stated gains have been in both Remain and LEave areas so that can be discounted.
Local Elections 2019 on 10:55 - May 3 with 2880 viewsHighjack

I like that polling bloke who looks like a mad scientist that they only wheel out on election nights.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Local Elections 2019 on 11:02 - May 3 with 2873 viewsBatterseajack

All Brexit supporting / facilitating parties took a hit yesterday. Analyse that.

Local Elections 2019 on 11:14 - May 3 with 2860 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 11:02 - May 3 by Batterseajack

All Brexit supporting / facilitating parties took a hit yesterday. Analyse that.

It’s probably because they’ve made a complete and total cock up of supporting/facilitating it.

Labour are definitely remain too, even if their leadership isn’t.

Local Elections 2019 on 11:20 - May 3 with 2850 viewsbluey_the_blue

Local Elections 2019 on 11:02 - May 3 by Batterseajack

Labour, Tories took a hit in both Remain and Leave areas.
UKIP are a busted flush.
Independents could be Remain or Leave.
Local Elections 2019 on 11:28 - May 3 with 2848 viewsLohengrin

Once again the main take from yesterday was voter turnout. Analysing results this morning is a bit like talking about a race where seven of the ten runners couldn’t be bothered to come out of the stalls.

It reminds me too of the wife telling me about her friend in work breaking off her engagement: “He had been promising her the world for years but she knew he’d been carrying on. She had enough of all the lies in the end and left him.” As a metaphor for the state of Britain’s polity that’s bang on the money.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Local Elections 2019 on 12:06 - May 3 with 2819 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 10:45 - May 3 by bluey_the_blue

It's traditional protest vote time again.

Seems Lib Dems have finally shaken off coalition stigma so people protesting by voting for them.

Expected a big loss for Tories so no surprise but it's concerning for Labour they've not made major gains you'd expect the main opposition to mid term against an unpopular government.

Lib Dems will claim it's about Remain / second referendum, Curtice stated gains have been in both Remain and LEave areas so that can be discounted.

Your last point is nonsense.

There has undoubtedly been a swing to the most ardent remain supporting parties. Whether it is anything other than a one off, who knows, but a swing it is. The fact it’s in both former remain and leave areas just says the swing towards remain parties happened everywhere yesterday.

Quite how pro Brexit politicians and commentators can come up with some of the crap they have is astonishing. The Labour bloke in Sunderland said that his leave supporters were fed up at Labour’s ambivalence because they want Brexit and they want it now. They apparently registered that by voting for “LibDems : Stop Brexit”. The BBC then went on and on about it being indicative of wanting Brexit NOW without ever pointing out the ridiculousness of what was being said.

If UKIP had made big gains across the country, in former remain and leave areas, I can guarantee you would have said it was about Brexit.
Login to get fewer ads

Local Elections 2019 on 12:08 - May 3 with 2817 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 11:28 - May 3 by Lohengrin

Once again the main take from yesterday was voter turnout. Analysing results this morning is a bit like talking about a race where seven of the ten runners couldn’t be bothered to come out of the stalls.

It reminds me too of the wife telling me about her friend in work breaking off her engagement: “He had been promising her the world for years but she knew he’d been carrying on. She had enough of all the lies in the end and left him.” As a metaphor for the state of Britain’s polity that’s bang on the money.

Voter turnout was on par with every other local election according to the reports last night?
Local Elections 2019 on 12:27 - May 3 with 2794 viewsLohengrin

Local Elections 2019 on 12:08 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

Voter turnout was on par with every other local election according to the reports last night?

Around the 30% mark. When I went to bed last night The Gruniad was busy bemoaning the stats. It has to raise questions as to the legitimacy of the whole business, doesn’t it?

By the way you’ve been arguing with pigeons on the Swansea Council thread, If you haven’t seen it.

Local Elections 2019 on 12:45 - May 3 with 2774 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 12:06 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

Your last point is nonsense.

There has undoubtedly been a swing to the most ardent remain supporting parties. Whether it is anything other than a one off, who knows, but a swing it is. The fact it’s in both former remain and leave areas just says the swing towards remain parties happened everywhere yesterday.

Quite how pro Brexit politicians and commentators can come up with some of the crap they have is astonishing. The Labour bloke in Sunderland said that his leave supporters were fed up at Labour’s ambivalence because they want Brexit and they want it now. They apparently registered that by voting for “LibDems : Stop Brexit”. The BBC then went on and on about it being indicative of wanting Brexit NOW without ever pointing out the ridiculousness of what was being said.

If UKIP had made big gains across the country, in former remain and leave areas, I can guarantee you would have said it was about Brexit.

There’s also a massive swing towards independents and we don’t know their stance on brexit. But a surge like that seems to me to be an utter rejection of party politics for a percentage of the electorate we haven’t seen before.

Local Elections 2019 on 12:52 - May 3 with 2758 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 12:45 - May 3 by Highjack

There’s also a massive swing towards independents and we don’t know their stance on brexit. But a surge like that seems to me to be an utter rejection of party politics for a percentage of the electorate we haven’t seen before.

Some will be Brexit, some remain and some have nothing to do with Brexit but have a particular local issue that is being addressed I imagine. Normally to do with planning or a hospital or similar.

The local elections aren’t a great indication of anything too much at all I wouldn’t imagine, but the take away of ‘people are saying get on with brexit’ being spouted by the likes of the BBC is the one take away you couldn’t possibly make with the results the way they are.
Local Elections 2019 on 12:55 - May 3 with 2753 viewsLohengrin

Local Elections 2019 on 12:52 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

Some will be Brexit, some remain and some have nothing to do with Brexit but have a particular local issue that is being addressed I imagine. Normally to do with planning or a hospital or similar.

The local elections aren’t a great indication of anything too much at all I wouldn’t imagine, but the take away of ‘people are saying get on with brexit’ being spouted by the likes of the BBC is the one take away you couldn’t possibly make with the results the way they are.

The BBC or Ian Lavery?

Local Elections 2019 on 12:59 - May 3 with 2748 viewsWxmJax

Local Elections 2019 on 10:26 - May 3 by Highjack

The +229 seat surge for independents is rather telling too.

Independent councillors are usually tory biased when it comes to voting. Wrexham has two independent groups on its council. How can you stand as an independent and then the first thing you do is join a group ?

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Local Elections 2019 on 13:03 - May 3 with 2747 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 12:55 - May 3 by Lohengrin

The BBC or Ian Lavery?

Laura Kuenssberg was saying it last night when I was watching the coverage.

Although it was hard to concentrate on what she was saying as I was busy laughing at Barry Gardiner who was desperately trying to explain how Labour’s current position was clarity itself.

I avoid Ian Lavery wherever possible. He’s a step too far on the idiocy scale.
Local Elections 2019 on 13:03 - May 3 with 2745 viewscostalotta

Local Elections 2019 on 12:52 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

LBC, Theo saying the opposite of the BBC, the take away is a sign of gathering around more of a remain stance.

Was just in a supermarket grabbing sarnie and seen a colleague and we just swapped words about the results from last night and joked around whilst agreeing of the importance of of the upcoming EU elections. A gentlemen also in the queue added that everyone should be voting for Brexit parties. A couple of people overheard and to a man all shouted out things like, not a chance, no way, absolutely not etc. This fella went bananas and got quite red in the face and angry... in particular he was in the face of this older lady and then had to be calmed down by the staff, It was a bit mad few minutes. What’s happened to this country it’s a mess and Brexit or not, it will be generation before this is fixed.
Local Elections 2019 on 13:13 - May 3 with 2731 viewsdickythorpe

Local Elections 2019 on 10:55 - May 3 by Highjack

I like that polling bloke who looks like a mad scientist that they only wheel out on election nights.

That's my father!!!
Local Elections 2019 on 13:14 - May 3 with 2730 viewsLohengrin

Local Elections 2019 on 13:03 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

Laura Kuenssberg was saying it last night when I was watching the coverage.

Although it was hard to concentrate on what she was saying as I was busy laughing at Barry Gardiner who was desperately trying to explain how Labour’s current position was clarity itself.

I avoid Ian Lavery wherever possible. He’s a step too far on the idiocy scale.

Just heard an amusing analogy on the Beeb likening May and Corbyn to two startled rabbits sat in the middle of the road as the headlights of the European Elections come hurtling toward them.

That’s just a few weeks away now. I expect a much clearer sense of where we are to emerge from that as it’s shaping up to be a second referendum in all but name.

Local Elections 2019 on 13:15 - May 3 with 2729 viewsLord_Bony

What people are stockpiling in preparation for a bad Brexit

Tea bags
Toilet roll toilet paper
Rice
Cereal
Pasta
Tinned beans canned beans
Tinned soup
Tinned rice pudding
Tinned chopped tomatoes
Tinned sweetcorn
Tinned peaches
Coffee
Lentils
Sugar
Bread flour
Dried yeast
Instant bread mix
Tinned tuna
Tinned mushy peas
Jars of hot dogs
Pasta sauce
Porridge
Squash
Long-life milk
Dishwasher liquid

https://qz.com/1558100/inside-the-minds-of-the-uks-most-stressed-out-brexit-pepp

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Local Elections 2019 on 14:05 - May 3 with 2666 viewsBatterseajack

Local Elections 2019 on 13:15 - May 3 by Lord_Bony

What people are stockpiling in preparation for a bad Brexit

Tea bags
Toilet roll toilet paper
Rice
Cereal
Pasta
Tinned beans canned beans
Tinned soup
Tinned rice pudding
Tinned chopped tomatoes
Tinned sweetcorn
Tinned peaches
Coffee
Lentils
Sugar
Bread flour
Dried yeast
Instant bread mix
Tinned tuna
Tinned mushy peas
Jars of hot dogs
Pasta sauce
Porridge
Squash
Long-life milk
Dishwasher liquid

https://qz.com/1558100/inside-the-minds-of-the-uks-most-stressed-out-brexit-pepp

Surely the brexit doomsday clock is moving further and father anti-clockwise each day.

We shouldn't get too complacent, but i can't see a no deal brexit happening, unless by the most unfortunate of accidents.
Local Elections 2019 on 14:08 - May 3 with 2663 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 14:05 - May 3 by Batterseajack

Surely the brexit doomsday clock is moving further and father anti-clockwise each day.

We shouldn't get too complacent, but i can't see a no deal brexit happening, unless by the most unfortunate of accidents.

Do you honestly think we’d run out of tea bags even if it did happen?

Local Elections 2019 on 14:09 - May 3 with 2661 viewsBatterseajack

Local Elections 2019 on 14:08 - May 3 by Highjack

Do you honestly think we’d run out of tea bags even if it did happen?

no
Local Elections 2019 on 14:12 - May 3 with 2660 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 14:09 - May 3 by Batterseajack

no

Phew. That’s alright then. But there are obviously a lot of crazy people out there who do. Might buy some shares in PG tips.

Local Elections 2019 on 14:33 - May 3 with 2642 viewsBatterseajack

Local Elections 2019 on 14:12 - May 3 by Highjack

Phew. That’s alright then. But there are obviously a lot of crazy people out there who do. Might buy some shares in PG tips.

Do you think we'll get a no deal Brexit?
Local Elections 2019 on 14:35 - May 3 with 2636 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 14:33 - May 3 by Batterseajack

Do you think we'll get a no deal Brexit?

No

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024