Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local Elections 2019 10:16 - May 3 with 11950 viewsLord_Bony

The two big parties taking a hammering. Lib Dem’s gain.

People are frustrated over Brexit.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Local Elections 2019 on 15:32 - May 3 with 1421 viewsvalleyboy

Local Elections 2019 on 10:45 - May 3 by bluey_the_blue

It's traditional protest vote time again.

Seems Lib Dems have finally shaken off coalition stigma so people protesting by voting for them.

Expected a big loss for Tories so no surprise but it's concerning for Labour they've not made major gains you'd expect the main opposition to mid term against an unpopular government.

Lib Dems will claim it's about Remain / second referendum, Curtice stated gains have been in both Remain and LEave areas so that can be discounted.

Wait until the 28th of this month and we will see if it’s about remain as the Liberals are saying

If you look at the the Liberal gains it’s mostly in areas that voted to remain

I expect the results to be worst for the Conservatives but I think Labour will need to wear gin hats as well
Local Elections 2019 on 15:45 - May 3 with 1400 viewsLohengrin

Local Elections 2019 on 15:32 - May 3 by valleyboy

Wait until the 28th of this month and we will see if it’s about remain as the Liberals are saying

If you look at the the Liberal gains it’s mostly in areas that voted to remain

I expect the results to be worst for the Conservatives but I think Labour will need to wear gin hats as well

Very fetching.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Local Elections 2019 on 16:22 - May 3 with 1382 viewsGwyn737

It's another time where Brexit has overrun any other (in this case local) issues.

Any long term pain from Brexit will be building on the damage being done by such a long impasse.

Whilst the politicians and civil service have had their time dominated ante and post referendum, work on everything else has stopped. This has contributed to people not being able to get a drs appointment, reduction in policing, school funding going to pot and roads full of potholes.

Column inches that would have gone to these issues have gone to the unwinnable argument.
Local Elections 2019 on 16:31 - May 3 with 1374 viewslondonlisa2001

Irrespective of the longer term indicators or not of these results on the Brexit debacle, can we at least take a moment to enjoy the thoughts of his local voters on the performance of Jacob Rees Mogg.

LD 67%
CON 28%
LAB 5%

The turnout was 54%
Local Elections 2019 on 17:31 - May 3 with 1314 viewsCooperman

Local Elections 2019 on 13:15 - May 3 by Lord_Bony

What people are stockpiling in preparation for a bad Brexit

Tea bags
Toilet roll toilet paper
Rice
Cereal
Pasta
Tinned beans canned beans
Tinned soup
Tinned rice pudding
Tinned chopped tomatoes
Tinned sweetcorn
Tinned peaches
Coffee
Lentils
Sugar
Bread flour
Dried yeast
Instant bread mix
Tinned tuna
Tinned mushy peas
Jars of hot dogs
Pasta sauce
Porridge
Squash
Long-life milk
Dishwasher liquid

https://qz.com/1558100/inside-the-minds-of-the-uks-most-stressed-out-brexit-pepp

This reminds me of impending snow days.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Local Elections 2019 on 17:33 - May 3 with 1308 viewsWarwickHunt

Local Elections 2019 on 13:03 - May 3 by costalotta

LBC, Theo saying the opposite of the BBC, the take away is a sign of gathering around more of a remain stance.

Was just in a supermarket grabbing sarnie and seen a colleague and we just swapped words about the results from last night and joked around whilst agreeing of the importance of of the upcoming EU elections. A gentlemen also in the queue added that everyone should be voting for Brexit parties. A couple of people overheard and to a man all shouted out things like, not a chance, no way, absolutely not etc. This fella went bananas and got quite red in the face and angry... in particular he was in the face of this older lady and then had to be calmed down by the staff, It was a bit mad few minutes. What’s happened to this country it’s a mess and Brexit or not, it will be generation before this is fixed.

Was he buying gammon?
Local Elections 2019 on 17:38 - May 3 with 1303 viewsWarwickHunt

Local Elections 2019 on 13:15 - May 3 by Lord_Bony

What people are stockpiling in preparation for a bad Brexit

Tea bags
Toilet roll toilet paper
Rice
Cereal
Pasta
Tinned beans canned beans
Tinned soup
Tinned rice pudding
Tinned chopped tomatoes
Tinned sweetcorn
Tinned peaches
Coffee
Lentils
Sugar
Bread flour
Dried yeast
Instant bread mix
Tinned tuna
Tinned mushy peas
Jars of hot dogs
Pasta sauce
Porridge
Squash
Long-life milk
Dishwasher liquid

https://qz.com/1558100/inside-the-minds-of-the-uks-most-stressed-out-brexit-pepp

I'm guessing most of these are Leavers, the tinned mushy peas are a dead giveaway.
Local Elections 2019 on 17:46 - May 3 with 1294 viewsexiledclaseboy

The high end prediction for Tory seat losses last week in a very bad night for them was 800. They’re now nearly up to 1200 losses. So anyone claiming this was expected is deluded. Similarly anyone who wants to claim that Labour is still playing a blinder is also a bit mental. In an election where they should have gained hundreds of seats they managed to lose over 100 instead. Useless.

And the brass neck of the leaders of both those parties to claim that an election in which massive gains were made by pro remain parties means that this is clear evidence that the public clearly now unequivocally wants to leave the EU forthwith is phenomenal. They’re both seriously off their heads and should resign now and let some grown ups have a go.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Local Elections 2019 on 18:02 - May 3 with 1269 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 17:46 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

The high end prediction for Tory seat losses last week in a very bad night for them was 800. They’re now nearly up to 1200 losses. So anyone claiming this was expected is deluded. Similarly anyone who wants to claim that Labour is still playing a blinder is also a bit mental. In an election where they should have gained hundreds of seats they managed to lose over 100 instead. Useless.

And the brass neck of the leaders of both those parties to claim that an election in which massive gains were made by pro remain parties means that this is clear evidence that the public clearly now unequivocally wants to leave the EU forthwith is phenomenal. They’re both seriously off their heads and should resign now and let some grown ups have a go.

Last night I was watching the BBC coverage and Nadhim Zahawi said, while sneering at the LibDem whose name escapes me, words to the effect of ‘if this was a genuine move towards remain, you’d see LibDem gains of over 500 (they were at c. 100 at that point). Now at over 600...

It’ll be interesting to see what happens. The mood music from the top tables at the moment suggests to me that they’ll try to carve up a deal next week to prevent the European elections. Her deal with a customs union is my guess for what they bring forward.

Edited to add: of course all this is happening in the leave heartlands. London didn’t even vote yesterday. The LibDems / Green gains in London would be phenomenal.
[Post edited 3 May 2019 18:06]
Local Elections 2019 on 18:10 - May 3 with 1250 viewsvalleyboy

Local Elections 2019 on 18:02 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

Last night I was watching the BBC coverage and Nadhim Zahawi said, while sneering at the LibDem whose name escapes me, words to the effect of ‘if this was a genuine move towards remain, you’d see LibDem gains of over 500 (they were at c. 100 at that point). Now at over 600...

It’ll be interesting to see what happens. The mood music from the top tables at the moment suggests to me that they’ll try to carve up a deal next week to prevent the European elections. Her deal with a customs union is my guess for what they bring forward.

Edited to add: of course all this is happening in the leave heartlands. London didn’t even vote yesterday. The LibDems / Green gains in London would be phenomenal.
[Post edited 3 May 2019 18:06]

Don’t tell me that you are dull enough to think that the Lib Dems are going to repeat what they have done in the EU elections

They will be lucky to get a seat in those elections
Local Elections 2019 on 18:14 - May 3 with 1241 viewsexiledclaseboy

Local Elections 2019 on 18:10 - May 3 by valleyboy

Don’t tell me that you are dull enough to think that the Lib Dems are going to repeat what they have done in the EU elections

Don’t tell me you’re dull enough to think I’m dull enough to think that.

Local Elections 2019 on 18:16 - May 3 with 1233 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 18:10 - May 3 by valleyboy

Yawn.
Local Elections 2019 on 18:36 - May 3 with 1214 viewslonglostjack

Great post. The entire presentation of the results is baffling . “Both parties are being punished because they failed to deliver Brexit”. You couldn’t make it up.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Local Elections 2019 on 19:09 - May 3 with 1182 viewsLord_Bony

Local Elections 2019 on 17:38 - May 3 by WarwickHunt

I'm guessing most of these are Leavers, the tinned mushy peas are a dead giveaway.

Yep

That's the staple British diet right there , none of that foreign muck to be seen.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Local Elections 2019 on 19:12 - May 3 with 1173 viewsLord_Bony

This really.

On a night when the labour party should have have made huge gains it has turned out to be a disaster for them, what a mess

Local Elections 2019 on 19:20 - May 3 with 1160 viewsFlashberryjack

Local Elections 2019 on 17:38 - May 3 by WarwickHunt

With Tea bags and Toilet paper at the top of the list ?

Nah! got to be a remainers list.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Local Elections 2019 on 20:37 - May 3 with 1104 viewsWarwickHunt

According to Corbyn the results show “very clearly” that the public want a deal on Brexit.

Is he really that fûcking dense?
Local Elections 2019 on 20:40 - May 3 with 1103 viewsexiledclaseboy

Local Elections 2019 on 20:37 - May 3 by WarwickHunt

According to Corbyn the results show “very clearly” that the public want a deal on Brexit.

I rather think he is. He’s also preparing to facilitate a Brexit deal at some point next week. Neither Labour nor the Tories want to be annihilated from left, right and centre on 23 May so they’re just gonna do whatever it takes to avoid those elections.

Local Elections 2019 on 20:43 - May 3 with 1100 viewsbluey_the_blue

Local Elections 2019 on 12:06 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

Your last point is nonsense.

There has undoubtedly been a swing to the most ardent remain supporting parties. Whether it is anything other than a one off, who knows, but a swing it is. The fact it’s in both former remain and leave areas just says the swing towards remain parties happened everywhere yesterday.

Quite how pro Brexit politicians and commentators can come up with some of the crap they have is astonishing. The Labour bloke in Sunderland said that his leave supporters were fed up at Labour’s ambivalence because they want Brexit and they want it now. They apparently registered that by voting for “LibDems : Stop Brexit”. The BBC then went on and on about it being indicative of wanting Brexit NOW without ever pointing out the ridiculousness of what was being said.

If UKIP had made big gains across the country, in former remain and leave areas, I can guarantee you would have said it was about Brexit.

If there as a swing to UKIP, I'd have said there were a hell of a lot of racists voting.

Curtice himself said Lib Dem gains were in both Leave and Remain areas, so take it up with him...

Again, Lib Dem votes have been protest votes, the way they always used to be pre coalition.
Local Elections 2019 on 20:47 - May 3 with 1097 viewsexiledclaseboy

Local Elections 2019 on 20:43 - May 3 by bluey_the_blue

If there as a swing to UKIP, I'd have said there were a hell of a lot of racists voting.

Curtice himself said Lib Dem gains were in both Leave and Remain areas, so take it up with him...

Again, Lib Dem votes have been protest votes, the way they always used to be pre coalition.

So who was protesting against what by voting libdem?

Local Elections 2019 on 21:15 - May 3 with 1068 viewsbluey_the_blue

Local Elections 2019 on 20:47 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

So who was protesting against what by voting libdem?

I'd suggest people fvcked off with both Corbyn and May voted Lib Dem to how their dissatisfaction with both.
Local Elections 2019 on 21:24 - May 3 with 1060 viewsmajorraglan

I think he is peddling his own agenda.

Lots of comments about a protest vote etc, but my take on this is simple, the Lib Dem’s have done well because people support the stance they have taken on Europe. Labour and the Tories will try to spin it and dress it up whichever way they suits them, but the facts that the Tories and Labour have had these results shows what the public think.
Local Elections 2019 on 21:28 - May 3 with 1052 viewsWarwickHunt

Local Elections 2019 on 20:40 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

I rather think he is. He’s also preparing to facilitate a Brexit deal at some point next week. Neither Labour nor the Tories want to be annihilated from left, right and centre on 23 May so they’re just gonna do whatever it takes to avoid those elections.

It’s starting to look that way. Not sure a stitch-up will get through Parliament though.

This could precipitate the end of the two main parties as we know them. London elections will be interesting...
Local Elections 2019 on 21:38 - May 3 with 1044 viewsKilkennyjack

I thought the same ...

So in summary, in Jezzas world then ...

A vote for Labour is a vote for a Brexit deal
A protest vote for Greens/libdems is a vote for a faster Brexit deal.

He may not have seen the huge march on London...?

Had he said what the Libdems and Plaid clearly said then he would have won easily. He knew this but chose not to win. A leader of the opposition who ....does not lead the opposition.

Beware of the Risen People

Local Elections 2019 on 21:42 - May 3 with 1038 viewsexiledclaseboy

Local Elections 2019 on 21:28 - May 3 by WarwickHunt

It’s starting to look that way. Not sure a stitch-up will get through Parliament though.

This could precipitate the end of the two main parties as we know them. London elections will be interesting...

23 May will be unprecedented carnage if it happens. There was no Farage party and no Change UK either. And of course London and everywhere else outside of England didn’t vote. Very little can actually be concluded from last night’s results except that both Labour and Tories could be facing an existential crisis.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024