Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local Elections 2019 10:16 - May 3 with 11946 viewsLord_Bony

The two big parties taking a hammering. Lib Dem’s gain.

People are frustrated over Brexit.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Local Elections 2019 on 10:01 - May 4 with 1089 viewsbluey_the_blue

Local Elections 2019 on 09:45 - May 4 by Highjack

No but they may protest by rejecting all the main parties and voting for independents for the first time ever.

I don't see that for a general election though.

May and Corbyn are both incompetent. May won't be Tory leader into next GE and it's hard to get a worse leader. Local elections are always used for protest votes - after all, mostly meaningless low level fluff - whereas voting stabiliises for GE. Not to say there won't be a change but not as dramatic as in locals.
Local Elections 2019 on 10:08 - May 4 with 1077 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 10:01 - May 4 by bluey_the_blue

I don't see that for a general election though.

May and Corbyn are both incompetent. May won't be Tory leader into next GE and it's hard to get a worse leader. Local elections are always used for protest votes - after all, mostly meaningless low level fluff - whereas voting stabiliises for GE. Not to say there won't be a change but not as dramatic as in locals.

No, you can’t usually tell much from local elections, and the libs have always done quite well in locals up until the point Clegg hit the suicide button.

I’m merely questioning the incredibly naive narrative that everyone flocked to the libs to stop brexit but all those who voted for independents merely did it for local issues.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Local Elections 2019 on 10:10 - May 4 with 1076 viewsbluey_the_blue

Local Elections 2019 on 10:08 - May 4 by Highjack

No, you can’t usually tell much from local elections, and the libs have always done quite well in locals up until the point Clegg hit the suicide button.

I’m merely questioning the incredibly naive narrative that everyone flocked to the libs to stop brexit but all those who voted for independents merely did it for local issues.

I'd agree.

Euro elections are more telling, if they happen. If Brexit party do well, that craps all over the "stop Brexit" narrative.
Local Elections 2019 on 10:32 - May 4 with 1064 viewsvalleyboy

You only have to look at the 2015 election to see there’s no comparison with local and national elections

In the local elections of 2015 the Conservatives did very well in those elections, but in the following year, they lost their overall marjority

That was when this idiot of a Prime Minister thought she was bigger than the Conservative Party
Local Elections 2019 on 10:45 - May 4 with 1034 viewsexiledclaseboy

So when the Brexit Party tops the poll at the European election in a few weeks I look forward to everyone agreeing that it’s only a protest vote which will be righted at a general election and that it means nothing about the public’s current view about leaving or remaining in the EU.

Poll: Tory leader

Local Elections 2019 on 10:51 - May 4 with 1022 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 10:45 - May 4 by exiledclaseboy

So when the Brexit Party tops the poll at the European election in a few weeks I look forward to everyone agreeing that it’s only a protest vote which will be righted at a general election and that it means nothing about the public’s current view about leaving or remaining in the EU.

For that to be an equivalent analogy the libs would have had to have topped the poll in the local election. They have done well and there has been a big swing but the elephant in the room when it comes to this narrative being peddled by ultra remainers is that the libs still only came a distant third, slightly ahead of the independents.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Local Elections 2019 on 11:14 - May 4 with 1006 viewsexiledclaseboy

Local Elections 2019 on 10:51 - May 4 by Highjack

For that to be an equivalent analogy the libs would have had to have topped the poll in the local election. They have done well and there has been a big swing but the elephant in the room when it comes to this narrative being peddled by ultra remainers is that the libs still only came a distant third, slightly ahead of the independents.

For the avoidance of doubt my view is that the swing to the LibDems is indicative of nothing other than dismay with the two main parties and the LibDems recovering from a historic low position four years ago. No doubt many remaineers switched to them as many leavers will switch to Farage on 23May. Neither election will provide a reliable indication of public opinion on Brexit three years on. Only another referendum will do that but we’re not allowed one of them on account of voting being undemocratic apparently.

My objection yesterday was solely against May and Jezza’s coordinated pronouncements that yesterday’s results were a clear indication that the public clearly wants Brexit and they want it now. Which is obviously ridiculous when you look at the results of the elections they were on about.

Local Elections 2019 on 11:21 - May 4 with 1002 viewsbluey_the_blue

Local Elections 2019 on 10:45 - May 4 by exiledclaseboy

Au contraire.

Local elections are the lowest level of election in UK, which is why it's often used as protest votes. Councils change composition regularly; voters vote for all manner of reasons.

European elections funnily enough refer to representation in Europe in the EU. It's far more of a single issue vote than local elections. No 100%, I'd grant you, but would have a slightly more reflective view than that of local elections.

So not quite apples and oranges but getting there. I'd attach slightly more weight to the results of the european elections.

Interestingly, an online service set up by ChangeLabs to help EU citizens here register to vote, heavily promoted by Remain oops Change UK and Lib Dems has been forced to close down, due to not giving the full legal information required. I can only imagine the outcry if that had been done by a pro Brexit group.
Login to get fewer ads

Local Elections 2019 on 12:33 - May 4 with 978 viewsexiledclaseboy

Local Elections 2019 on 11:21 - May 4 by bluey_the_blue

Au contraire.

Local elections are the lowest level of election in UK, which is why it's often used as protest votes. Councils change composition regularly; voters vote for all manner of reasons.

European elections funnily enough refer to representation in Europe in the EU. It's far more of a single issue vote than local elections. No 100%, I'd grant you, but would have a slightly more reflective view than that of local elections.

So not quite apples and oranges but getting there. I'd attach slightly more weight to the results of the european elections.

Interestingly, an online service set up by ChangeLabs to help EU citizens here register to vote, heavily promoted by Remain oops Change UK and Lib Dems has been forced to close down, due to not giving the full legal information required. I can only imagine the outcry if that had been done by a pro Brexit group.

Tell you what, Bluey, I’m shocked that you’ll lend more weight to an election outcome that will more closely align with your personal view. Proper shocked. Have a look at historic Euro election results, you’ll find that they’ve been used far more consistently to give the two main parties a protest kicking than local elections.

Local Elections 2019 on 12:53 - May 4 with 962 viewsmajorraglan

Local Elections 2019 on 11:14 - May 4 by exiledclaseboy

For the avoidance of doubt my view is that the swing to the LibDems is indicative of nothing other than dismay with the two main parties and the LibDems recovering from a historic low position four years ago. No doubt many remaineers switched to them as many leavers will switch to Farage on 23May. Neither election will provide a reliable indication of public opinion on Brexit three years on. Only another referendum will do that but we’re not allowed one of them on account of voting being undemocratic apparently.

My objection yesterday was solely against May and Jezza’s coordinated pronouncements that yesterday’s results were a clear indication that the public clearly wants Brexit and they want it now. Which is obviously ridiculous when you look at the results of the elections they were on about.

Agree with you on this. On Thursday, there was a huge shift amongst the electorate in England towards the pro Remain Lib Dem’s. Neither Corbyn or May have acknowledged this and both are pressing ahead with their own agenda. The Brexiteers have also gone very quiet, old Rees Moggs new councillor is a Lib Dem! I suspect Thursdays results and the Euro Election where I would expect a further polarisation of voters between the Leavers supporting Farage and the Remainers supporting the alibi Dems will cause further problems for Corbyn and May. What is for sure is that a Corbyn and Labour are underachieving and underperforming, May and the Tories are the worst government we have had in many many years and the country is in a complete mess.
Local Elections 2019 on 12:53 - May 4 with 961 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 09:38 - May 4 by bluey_the_blue

No, I'm saying there are many factors Brexit being only one of them.

Should the european elections reflect a similar pattern, ie remain parties making massive gains then I'll agree with you.

The same pattern won't hold at a general election.

Agree with me on what?

All I’ve said about the results is that your point made right at the start that ‘it has nothing to do with brexit because there’s been a swing to LibDems in leave areas’ Is ludicrous.

The way this thread has gone is as follows:

You make a claim that it’s nothing to do with Brexit
Others (including me) have said don’t be silly
You have then pretended that those others are actually saying that the only thing on everyone’s minds in these elections was Brexit and it’s some sort of definitive statement on that so that you can argue against it.

Oh, and highjack has a new catchphrase that he read in a piece by that idiot Owen Jones that he will now use ad nauseum.
Local Elections 2019 on 12:54 - May 4 with 960 viewslondonlisa2001

Nobody has said that. Not on here at least.
Local Elections 2019 on 13:04 - May 4 with 952 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 12:53 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Agree with me on what?

All I’ve said about the results is that your point made right at the start that ‘it has nothing to do with brexit because there’s been a swing to LibDems in leave areas’ Is ludicrous.

The way this thread has gone is as follows:

You make a claim that it’s nothing to do with Brexit
Others (including me) have said don’t be silly
You have then pretended that those others are actually saying that the only thing on everyone’s minds in these elections was Brexit and it’s some sort of definitive statement on that so that you can argue against it.

Oh, and highjack has a new catchphrase that he read in a piece by that idiot Owen Jones that he will now use ad nauseum.

What catchphrase is that then?

Local Elections 2019 on 13:10 - May 4 with 947 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 13:04 - May 4 by Highjack

What catchphrase is that then?

Ultra remainer.
Local Elections 2019 on 13:21 - May 4 with 930 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 13:10 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Ultra remainer.

It’s hardly a catchphrase. Roy Walker would be there for hours whilst poor Mr Chips is bending over taking it from a Brussels sprout. “It’s good but it’s not the one”.

Local Elections 2019 on 13:35 - May 4 with 903 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 13:21 - May 4 by Highjack

It’s hardly a catchphrase. Roy Walker would be there for hours whilst poor Mr Chips is bending over taking it from a Brussels sprout. “It’s good but it’s not the one”.

A catchphrase is a ‘word or expression used repeatedly and conveniently to represent or characterise a person, group, idea or point of view’ according to the dictionary.

That pretty much sums it up.

You’re referring to a tv programme of that name.
Local Elections 2019 on 13:52 - May 4 with 875 viewsLohengrin

Local Elections 2019 on 13:35 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

A catchphrase is a ‘word or expression used repeatedly and conveniently to represent or characterise a person, group, idea or point of view’ according to the dictionary.

Actually it’s more what my good friend Maurras would have called une appellation dénigrante.

Little Owen was deriding rather than describing. He does that a lot, he has his gallery to play to after all.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Local Elections 2019 on 13:53 - May 4 with 871 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 13:35 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 13:56 - May 4 with 867 viewsLohengrin

Local Elections 2019 on 13:53 - May 4 by Highjack

I’d watch my step if I were you. Mo got on her bad side once, nobody’s seen hide nor hair of him for months...

Local Elections 2019 on 13:58 - May 4 with 863 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 13:52 - May 4 by Lohengrin

Actually it’s more what my good friend Maurras would have called une appellation dénigrante.

Little Owen was deriding rather than describing. He does that a lot, he has his gallery to play to after all.

I was describing it as a catchphrase for highjack not Owen Jones.

Owen Jones is an annoying little weasel.
Local Elections 2019 on 13:58 - May 4 with 863 viewsHighjack

Local Elections 2019 on 13:56 - May 4 by Lohengrin

I’d watch my step if I were you. Mo got on her bad side once, nobody’s seen hide nor hair of him for months...

Perhaps it’s just a coincidence and he’s just got stuck in Owens massive chasm.

Local Elections 2019 on 14:03 - May 4 with 858 viewsLohengrin

Local Elections 2019 on 13:58 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

I was describing it as a catchphrase for highjack not Owen Jones.

Owen Jones is an annoying little weasel.

You seem very angry today!

Sun’s out, mun. It’s Bank Holiday weekend. Kick back and relax.

Local Elections 2019 on 14:10 - May 4 with 843 viewslondonlisa2001

Local Elections 2019 on 14:03 - May 4 by Lohengrin

You seem very angry today!

Sun’s out, mun. It’s Bank Holiday weekend. Kick back and relax.

Not at all actually.

I’m constantly amused by highjack’s deep annoyance that some people portray Brexit supporters as intellectually challenged.
Local Elections 2019 on 14:12 - May 4 with 836 viewsexiledclaseboy

I hope the euro elections happen. The aftermath on here will be hilarious as will the reversed positions being taken.

Local Elections 2019 on 14:18 - May 4 with 826 viewsLohengrin

Local Elections 2019 on 14:10 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Not at all actually.

I’m constantly amused by highjack’s deep annoyance that some people portray Brexit supporters as intellectually challenged.

Going off at a bit of a tangent can you remember when we were younger and UKIP was first founded? You had to be a fully-fledged egghead to qualify for membership as it consisted mostly of obsessive, scholarly constitutionalists in and around the LSE poring over the minutiae of EU Directives.

From there to Gerald Batten is some leap.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024