Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich City resurrection ! 18:54 - May 7 with 3889 viewsmajorraglan

Was browsing online last night when I came across the article on Stuart Webber and Norwich City. The feature talks about the issues the club faced and how they seat about reviving their fortunes. It struck me that what they have gone through is what the Swans are seeking to do.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/stuart-webber-climb-of-the-canaries
Norwich City resurrection ! on 19:33 - May 7 with 3807 viewsFlashberryjack

"From a Chick to a Canary" a film in the making I'd say.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Norwich City resurrection ! on 20:49 - May 7 with 3720 viewsDr_Winston

Superb article. Makes a lot of sense.

Particularly liked the bit about players not automatically making good coaches and the fact that there's a lot more to it than coaching badges.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Norwich City resurrection ! on 20:51 - May 7 with 3717 viewsjasper_T

As I've said before the interview is a good long watch.
Norwich City resurrection ! on 09:21 - May 8 with 3477 viewsDevz00

Great article. Thanks for sharing that.

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Norwich City resurrection ! on 09:52 - May 8 with 3445 viewsBytholWyn

If we were to win promotion in a year's time, you could practically substitute the word Swansea for Norwich and Potter for Farke and re-print the article and nobody would notice. Apart that is for the role of Stuart Webber.

Birch should help us clear out the dead wood and give sensible, realistic contracts to existing and new players based on a proper understanding of football finance. But, does he have the coaching background of Webber? If we're to have any chance of doing a Norwich we need some seriously smart recruitment - the one area we've been sorely lacking in since Laudrup left. Does Kyle Macaulay have the necessary know-how, experience and contacts? I guess it's a case of wait and see, but it's who we bring in, player-wise, that will be the biggest factor in determining our success or otherwise next season, not who leaves - which is what all the heat and noise will be about.
Norwich City resurrection ! on 11:46 - May 8 with 3414 viewsBlue_Blood

Norwich City resurrection ! on 20:51 - May 7 by jasper_T

As I've said before the interview is a good long watch.

I dont know if you watched this one as well Jasper but I know you have a big interest in academy football so I think you'd enjoy it
Norwich City resurrection ! on 14:28 - May 8 with 3336 viewsNotLoyal

Norwich City resurrection ! on 19:33 - May 7 by Flashberryjack

"From a Chick to a Canary" a film in the making I'd say.

From a pie to a flan ?

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Norwich City resurrection ! on 14:47 - May 8 with 3326 viewsChief

Norwich City resurrection ! on 09:52 - May 8 by BytholWyn

If we were to win promotion in a year's time, you could practically substitute the word Swansea for Norwich and Potter for Farke and re-print the article and nobody would notice. Apart that is for the role of Stuart Webber.

Birch should help us clear out the dead wood and give sensible, realistic contracts to existing and new players based on a proper understanding of football finance. But, does he have the coaching background of Webber? If we're to have any chance of doing a Norwich we need some seriously smart recruitment - the one area we've been sorely lacking in since Laudrup left. Does Kyle Macaulay have the necessary know-how, experience and contacts? I guess it's a case of wait and see, but it's who we bring in, player-wise, that will be the biggest factor in determining our success or otherwise next season, not who leaves - which is what all the heat and noise will be about.

Totally agree on your bit regarding recruitment and it isn't emphasized enough with Norwich. Although they brought in lots of money in from sales, their manager was allowed to use his contacts and brought in a host of players from the German leagues - Vrancic, Stiepermann, Pukki, Hernandez, Leitner, Zimmermann, Trybull (amongst others) which is the real reason they've got promoted.

So while I see parallels with us and them they may have have a very potent weapon that we may or may not currently possess. And it's unsure whether our owners would let us use it if we had it anyway.

We did have a similar weapon last time we were in this division where every player Rodgers brought in, he'd worked with previously.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Login to get fewer ads

Norwich City resurrection ! on 15:56 - May 8 with 3281 viewsjack247

Norwich are being presented as a blueprint for achieving success by selling your best players at the moment. Great for them, but let’s not get carried away, it’s not going to lead to promotion very often.
[Post edited 8 May 2019 16:08]
Norwich City resurrection ! on 16:57 - May 8 with 3241 viewsjasper_T

Norwich City resurrection ! on 15:56 - May 8 by jack247

Norwich are being presented as a blueprint for achieving success by selling your best players at the moment. Great for them, but let’s not get carried away, it’s not going to lead to promotion very often.
[Post edited 8 May 2019 16:08]

A blueprint for escaping a deep financial hole that had them on the brink of bankruptcy by bringing through and selling young players, and still managing to improve themselves on the pitch year on year, and play attractive football to boot.

The promotion is just one aspect of their success this season. There are simpler and more reliable ways to get promoted, but they're usually uglier, more costly and/or not sustainable.
Norwich City resurrection ! on 17:07 - May 8 with 3228 viewsjack247

Norwich City resurrection ! on 16:57 - May 8 by jasper_T

A blueprint for escaping a deep financial hole that had them on the brink of bankruptcy by bringing through and selling young players, and still managing to improve themselves on the pitch year on year, and play attractive football to boot.

The promotion is just one aspect of their success this season. There are simpler and more reliable ways to get promoted, but they're usually uglier, more costly and/or not sustainable.

I’m not arguing with the fact it got them out of a financial mess.

I’m observing that there seems to be a ‘Norwich were like us a couple of years ago, now look at them, we’ll get there too if we keep selling our best players’ mentality seeping in.

A bit like when we reached the PL and fans all over the country thought their team could do the same by playing attractive football with unheralded players.
Norwich City resurrection ! on 17:12 - May 8 with 3223 viewsBytholWyn

Norwich City resurrection ! on 17:07 - May 8 by jack247

I’m observing that there seems to be a ‘Norwich were like us a couple of years ago, now look at them, we’ll get there too if we keep selling our best players’ mentality seeping in.

A bit like when we reached the PL and fans all over the country thought their team could do the same by playing attractive football with unheralded players.

Sure, it's no guarantee of success, but by emulating the Norwich (or elements of the Brentford approach for that matter) we can be assured of long-term solvency and an attractive brand of football. That's good enough for me. Promotion is a welcome bonus.

Give me long-term sustainability and an enjoyable brand of football over sugar daddy/mommy boom and bust splurges that may or may not produce short-term success.
Norwich City resurrection ! on 17:24 - May 8 with 3203 viewsjasper_T

Norwich City resurrection ! on 17:07 - May 8 by jack247

I've been mentioning them mostly in response to people saying stuff like "we HAVE to keep our best players/spend a fortune if we don't want to backslide into League One". As if our own success this season wasn't enough, the title winners are clear and obvious proof that it's not only billionaires' vanity projects that can succeed in the modern game.
Norwich City resurrection ! on 18:27 - May 8 with 3165 viewsjack247

Norwich City resurrection ! on 17:12 - May 8 by BytholWyn

Sure, it's no guarantee of success, but by emulating the Norwich (or elements of the Brentford approach for that matter) we can be assured of long-term solvency and an attractive brand of football. That's good enough for me. Promotion is a welcome bonus.

Give me long-term sustainability and an enjoyable brand of football over sugar daddy/mommy boom and bust splurges that may or may not produce short-term success.

It doesn’t guarantee that either, though in fairness, the point I was making was there seems to be a ‘if Norwich can do it, why can’t we?’ mentality seeping in, which you haven’t disputed.

Selling your top players every summer doesn’t guarantee long term stability or attractive football unless you can consistently replace them with as good/better (with coaching) for less. If you can’t, you get into a vicious circle where your best players aren’t as good as the best players from the previous season, therefore command less and you have less to replace them with. We can’t rely on replacing from development squad every season. It worked brilliantly this time, but that’s not long term sustainable.
Norwich City resurrection ! on 18:29 - May 8 with 3161 viewsdickythorpe

What's the longest spell Norwich have had in the PL?

Let's not all start blowing smoke up their backsides just yet.
Norwich City resurrection ! on 11:47 - May 9 with 3022 viewsjasper_T

Norwich City resurrection ! on 11:46 - May 8 by Blue_Blood

I dont know if you watched this one as well Jasper but I know you have a big interest in academy football so I think you'd enjoy it

I hadn't seen that one, cheers. Slowly making my way through it.

When they pose the "what does a Huddersfield right back look like?" question for modelling their development and recruitment practices I'm just picturing Jenkins signing Biabi, CBR and Maric as his archetypal players.

I do feel we've erred a little far on the side of team results rather than individual preparation in recent years. Too many players reliant on physical advantages they wouldn't have at senior level playing over younger, more technically (and mentally) gifted alternatives. But when a pathway into the senior side isn't established what else can you aim for?
Norwich City resurrection ! on 16:05 - May 11 with 2812 viewsunion_jack

Norwich City resurrection ! on 18:29 - May 8 by dickythorpe

What's the longest spell Norwich have had in the PL?

Let's not all start blowing smoke up their backsides just yet.

Personally, I don’t see them cutting the mustard in the PL🤣

Ok, my coat is firmly on and I’ve left the building!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Norwich City resurrection ! on 16:22 - May 11 with 2794 viewsBadlands

Not long ago clubs like Bournemouth and Brighton were looking to the way we had gained success - copying other models can work if you are fully aware of the philosophy behind the practice and adapt it to suit.
Simply copying others' practice seldom works.

McKauly has been heavily involved in Ostersunds recruitment process at many levels, these included identifying and scouting players, statistical analysis of their play, working to determine whether their character suited the environment the club had looked to create.
Given the way Ostersunds managed to climb from the fourth tier and constantly adapt their squad so they were able to handle each step up has seen Potter and Reid receive deserved praise, but Macaulay's role in that should not be overlooked.

Finding the players to fit in at an unfashionable club with a different way of doing things and keep the club moving forward is not a straightforward task, yet it is one that was accomplished to the extent that Ostersunds beat Arsenal on their own patch just a few short months ago.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Norwich City resurrection ! on 01:50 - May 13 with 2621 viewsTNT

Norwich City resurrection ! on 16:05 - May 11 by union_jack

Personally, I don’t see them cutting the mustard in the PL🤣

Ok, my coat is firmly on and I’ve left the building!

'How on earth can you make that statement? No-one has a clue what their side will be next year. '

One of yours.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Norwich City resurrection ! on 12:32 - Jun 13 with 2354 viewsBytholWyn

Norwich City resurrection ! on 01:50 - May 13 by TNT

'How on earth can you make that statement? No-one has a clue what their side will be next year. '

One of yours.

Another sighting of that rare breed - a good article in WalesOnline on Stuart Webber:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/little-known-welshman

His endorsement of Steve Cooper and Mike March is probably the best indication yet that we're on the right track.

"Webber first worked with Cooper at Wrexham, before crossing paths again at Liverpool, where they both played an important role developing the next generation of stars.

Given that the Liberty Stadium hot seat will be his first role in senior management, many will see Cooper's appointment as a gamble, but Webber sees parallels between the man from Pontypridd and Wagner at Huddersfield.

"They're not too dissimilar," he adds. "They've both come from similar backgrounds.

"Mike Marsh is a coach that I actually brought to Huddersfield to be Wagner's first team coach and bringing him in will be a smart move.

"I'm not being funny, but he was Brendan Rodgers' coach when they almost won the Premier League, so there's clearly something about him and he and Steve are very close.

"Coops has a real clear idea on how he wants to play and how he sees football. How to put a team together and how to make a team play.

"If you look at his Liverpool teams when he was there and his England teams now, they have a clearly defined way of playing and he sticks to that. He's very single-minded, pretty stubborn to be honest. I mean that as a complement! But he's always been a bloke who's known what he wanted.

"What Swansea will get is a man who knows what he's doing and knows his way around. I just hope the club support him.

"Whenever clubs appoint young coaches they've got to understand that they're often like players, they make mistakes.

"Coops is learning as Wagner and Farke are learning. This is a guy that won't have all the answers, so he'll need help along the way. He's going to need a strong club and a strong board, who don't put any ridiculous pressure on him.

"They need to have a collaborative approach if they're going to get Swansea back to where they think they should be."
Norwich City resurrection ! on 12:47 - Jun 13 with 2311 viewstheloneranger

Norwich City resurrection ! on 12:32 - Jun 13 by BytholWyn

Another sighting of that rare breed - a good article in WalesOnline on Stuart Webber:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/little-known-welshman

His endorsement of Steve Cooper and Mike March is probably the best indication yet that we're on the right track.

"Webber first worked with Cooper at Wrexham, before crossing paths again at Liverpool, where they both played an important role developing the next generation of stars.

Given that the Liberty Stadium hot seat will be his first role in senior management, many will see Cooper's appointment as a gamble, but Webber sees parallels between the man from Pontypridd and Wagner at Huddersfield.

"They're not too dissimilar," he adds. "They've both come from similar backgrounds.

"Mike Marsh is a coach that I actually brought to Huddersfield to be Wagner's first team coach and bringing him in will be a smart move.

"I'm not being funny, but he was Brendan Rodgers' coach when they almost won the Premier League, so there's clearly something about him and he and Steve are very close.

"Coops has a real clear idea on how he wants to play and how he sees football. How to put a team together and how to make a team play.

"If you look at his Liverpool teams when he was there and his England teams now, they have a clearly defined way of playing and he sticks to that. He's very single-minded, pretty stubborn to be honest. I mean that as a complement! But he's always been a bloke who's known what he wanted.

"What Swansea will get is a man who knows what he's doing and knows his way around. I just hope the club support him.

"Whenever clubs appoint young coaches they've got to understand that they're often like players, they make mistakes.

"Coops is learning as Wagner and Farke are learning. This is a guy that won't have all the answers, so he'll need help along the way. He's going to need a strong club and a strong board, who don't put any ridiculous pressure on him.

"They need to have a collaborative approach if they're going to get Swansea back to where they think they should be."

I wish he'd recollect his Welsh football history correctly ...

"The closest we got was the penalty miss against Russia where Bodin hit the bar."

It was Rumania!!!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Norwich City resurrection ! on 12:58 - Jun 13 with 2286 viewsBadlands

They went into League 1 before they revived their fortunes ... the City of Swansea would surely crumble into the bay if that happened to us!
(Notably their attendances in League 1 averaged 24,756)

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Norwich City resurrection ! on 13:20 - Jun 13 with 2259 viewsBytholWyn

Norwich City resurrection ! on 12:47 - Jun 13 by theloneranger

I wish he'd recollect his Welsh football history correctly ...

"The closest we got was the penalty miss against Russia where Bodin hit the bar."

It was Rumania!!!!

I can understand the confusion - he's just melded the two most disappointing experiences as a Wales fan into one. While he was at it, perhaps he should have added that Joe Jordan conceded the penalty.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2019 13:20]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024