Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Hughton 09:42 - May 13 with 15461 viewsVincent_Vega

Looking for a new job...

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Chris Hughton on 12:41 - May 13 with 2943 viewsKGriz16

Chris Hughton on 10:14 - May 13 by BytholWyn

I think there's a very good chance they'll be after Potter. Brighton have invested a lot in their academy and whole training setup - and have the setup of a progressive club. They've obviously fallen into the same trap as our ourselves to an extent by appointing a pragmatic manager in Hughton who's good at safety first football, but who has ultimately failed because he lacks an innovative approach to things. Potter would be a good match for them if they're serious about getting away from the merry-go-round of appointing uninspiring safe pair of hands.

If Brighton are serious about appointing Potter we are going to struggle to hang on to him - even though I suspect he'd be reluctant to move, for family reasons as much as anything. The Americans will need to think very long and hard about how they keep Potter onside - because losing Potter will almost certainly ruin our short and medium term prospects.

I'm sorry, what are you basing your opinions on?
Chris Hughton on 13:06 - May 13 with 2833 viewsjack247

Chris Hughton on 10:40 - May 13 by Badlands

I have feeling Potter realises he can achieve another legacy at Swansea, something lasting and therefore a better offer when he leaves.
At Östersund and with us he has taken time to turn his philosophy into points and he'd be a fool to think that would change at his next appointment. In the PL that would mean he'd b sacked before Christmas.
At Brighton, West From etc he would be going to a Premier League team with little chance of anything but struggle.

It’s very difficult to build a legacy with owners who are hell bent on balancing the books as quickly as they can, with scant regard to the football side of their business. Especially when top players are likely to be sold and not/inadequately replaced and his back room staff have been offered redundancy.

If the owners were willing and able to return us to profitability gradually, he’d have half a chance of building something a bit like Martinez did. He’s not going to do it with another limb being tied behind his back each season. If he stays here, he’ll have to wait until they either get costs low enough to give him a chance to build, or they cut their losses and sell up (and the unlikely event of the new owners having the vision and capacity to allow him to build a legacy).
Chris Hughton on 13:27 - May 13 with 2749 viewsBillyChong

Chris Hughton on 10:25 - May 13 by Badlands

So much crap coming from the media and some fans this season about our position has always been reported as being far more dire than anything being experienced by other clubs.
Just as with Guidolin, the media talks down the Swans far quicker than other clubs.
Take relegation - much of the media talked us down from the November and were quick to go on the attack later in the season, telling us we were doomed in January etc even when we were several points and places off the relegation places.
Fast forward to Cardiff and how they were still in with a good chance of staying up with 3 games to go (5 points behind Brighton), unlucky to be in that position, good owners, good management, great supporters.

Our fans are too quick to publicly attack our own club.
Protests and marches by a tiny % of fans gained more publicity than our wins, calling for Jenkins & the Americans to leave hen we were winning games had a visible affect on the team.

So, is it any wonder that any job that comes up is being linked with our successful manager?

The January transfer window publicised the state of affairs at the club far more than any fan chants or protests.
Chris Hughton on 13:31 - May 13 with 2731 viewsGlyn1

Chris Hughton on 12:31 - May 13 by 34dfgdf54

That's what I like to hear.

Brighton fans on keen at all on Potter, lots quite miffed over the sacking of Hughton aswell which I find quite surprising. Local journalists also very pro Chris Hughton.

To say that the Brighton fans are interested is an understatement, they've been discussing him since before Hughton was sacked and there are currently 155 responses, don't they do any work down there?

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?372739-Graham-Potter

Please would DYSS or others please go there and explain that he's overrated, rubbish and out of his depth in British football? Ta.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 13:36]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Chris Hughton on 13:39 - May 13 with 2675 views34dfgdf54

Dafydd Pritchard just tweeted:

Swansea are desperate to keep Graham Potter but they’re bracing themselves for an approach and, even without taking their own financial difficulties into account, the Swans admit it will be tough to convince him to stay if there’s an offer from Brighton.
Chris Hughton on 13:39 - May 13 with 2688 viewsGlyn1

Chris Hughton on 09:44 - May 13 by Darran

Race card coming soon.

Any tips for the 6 o'clock at Windsor?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Chris Hughton on 14:08 - May 13 with 2586 viewsBadlands

Chris Hughton on 13:27 - May 13 by BillyChong

The January transfer window publicised the state of affairs at the club far more than any fan chants or protests.

How have we don since then?
Just think, we could have spent £30 million and been like Stoke or maybe Middlesborough who spent £7 million only to drop out of the top 6.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Chris Hughton on 14:14 - May 13 with 2563 viewsJackSomething

Chris Hughton on 14:08 - May 13 by Badlands

Just think, we could have spent £30 million and been like Stoke or maybe Middlesborough who spent £7 million only to drop out of the top 6.

Fair play, you've absolutely murdered that straw man.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Login to get fewer ads

Chris Hughton on 14:36 - May 13 with 2502 viewsJacket

They'll be ripe for the drop next season, like Huddersfield were after just about clinging on last season. I reckon he'll stay put if this is the best offer that comes his way.
Chris Hughton on 15:21 - May 13 with 2383 viewsKGriz16

Chris Hughton on 14:36 - May 13 by Jacket

They'll be ripe for the drop next season, like Huddersfield were after just about clinging on last season. I reckon he'll stay put if this is the best offer that comes his way.

Glen Murray is their best player. Our striker has more international caps than him. Our team is full of potential and is playing fantastic. Brighton is full of average players, and is looming large for relegation. I'm proud and positive for the Swans, wish others were.
Chris Hughton on 15:27 - May 13 with 2367 viewsBytholWyn

Chris Hughton on 14:36 - May 13 by Jacket

Judging by the odds and media commentary it looks as if Brighton are very much interested in Potter, although there has been some suggestion that they're looking at other options as well.

Assuming Brighton want Potter the chances are that he'll go. The only glimmer of hope that I have is that Potter strikes me as a pretty savvy and balanced individual, who's also a family man. He's stressed how big a deal it was to uproot his family from Sweden - so to put them through the upheaval again in less than a year would be a big consideration for him. This assumes that they've settled in the Swansea area - if not then it's hard to see how he would stay.

The only other consideration in our favour may be the level of risk in going to Brighton. I can entirely understand why Hughton was sacked - even if it seems harsh. I watched their game against Citeh yesterday - and they were awful. Given that they were safe from relegation Hughton could have adopted a bold approach, similar to Potter's against Citeh, but instead he chose the bog standard 10 men behind the ball, and let's hope to pinch a goal on a break or from a set piece, approach. But given that he got them promoted and kept them up that doesn't suggest a tremendous amount of patience from Bloom. They also alluded in the match commentary how poor their signings have been of late, with most of their top performers being established players. Probably not Hughton's fault - and the change in personnel behind the scenes suggests that the club acknowledges that. So would Potter want to take over a turbulent situation, where even if he does well they could still be relegated, given that it takes time to change the direction of a club on and off the pitch?

A lot depends on Potter's willingness to take a long term view of things. If he continues to do well at Swansea - which I'm sure he will with us in the Championship, offers of Premier League jobs are going to keep on coming. But better to go when you've got a track record in this country under your belt than leaving at the first time of asking, risking losing your job within less than a year, and then being tainted goods.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 15:29]
Chris Hughton on 15:45 - May 13 with 2310 viewsSwansea93

That Alan Nixon journo put a tweet out a couple of weeks ago saying we wanted 2M for Potter in compo, at the time it didn't cross my mind at all that Potter may leave this summer.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Chris Hughton on 15:54 - May 13 with 2285 viewsBytholWyn

Chris Hughton on 15:45 - May 13 by Swansea93

That Alan Nixon journo put a tweet out a couple of weeks ago saying we wanted 2M for Potter in compo, at the time it didn't cross my mind at all that Potter may leave this summer.

Isn't that the amount needed to buy out his contract? We would want a lot more than £2 million - after all we got £2 million for Martinez all those years ago and £5million for Rodgers. But unless there's a specific clause in his contract stipulating a buyout amount I assume that paying up his contract will suffice for Brighton.

As alluded to by Jack247 earlier, the Americans may need to re-appraise the timescale of their desire to return to profitability. If they have any clue at all about football (and let's face it the appointment of Bradley, the Woods and James fiascos suggest not) they will understand that losing Potter will massively adversely affect their chances of recouping their losses. He's not a bog standard, pragmatic manager, of which there are plenty, including Hughton.

Managers in the Martinez, Rodgers and Potter mould are few and far between, as we discovered once Laudrup left. Without Potter the chances are we'll be a bog standard Championship club, more likely to struggle in the league than get promoted. If the owners understand this then hopefully they can revise their thinking in time and give Potter the assurances he will need about how we handle the process of balancing the books. This would be the savvy approach to things. My fear is that the Americans have already maimed the Golden Goose that is Potter, and that he'll take flight before it's too late.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 15:55]
Chris Hughton on 16:24 - May 13 with 2172 viewsjasper_T

Chris Hughton on 15:54 - May 13 by BytholWyn

Isn't that the amount needed to buy out his contract? We would want a lot more than £2 million - after all we got £2 million for Martinez all those years ago and £5million for Rodgers. But unless there's a specific clause in his contract stipulating a buyout amount I assume that paying up his contract will suffice for Brighton.

As alluded to by Jack247 earlier, the Americans may need to re-appraise the timescale of their desire to return to profitability. If they have any clue at all about football (and let's face it the appointment of Bradley, the Woods and James fiascos suggest not) they will understand that losing Potter will massively adversely affect their chances of recouping their losses. He's not a bog standard, pragmatic manager, of which there are plenty, including Hughton.

Managers in the Martinez, Rodgers and Potter mould are few and far between, as we discovered once Laudrup left. Without Potter the chances are we'll be a bog standard Championship club, more likely to struggle in the league than get promoted. If the owners understand this then hopefully they can revise their thinking in time and give Potter the assurances he will need about how we handle the process of balancing the books. This would be the savvy approach to things. My fear is that the Americans have already maimed the Golden Goose that is Potter, and that he'll take flight before it's too late.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 15:55]

Potter's taught the attacking side, now get Hughton in to provide a pragmatic edge and re-sign Potter in the PL after Brighton are relegated.

Common sense, innit.
Chris Hughton on 16:27 - May 13 with 2162 viewsBillyChong

Chris Hughton on 14:08 - May 13 by Badlands

Played out a fairly average season and now in addition to almost certainly losing our best up and coming player are hearing strong rumours about losing our best off the field asset as well. But it’s ok, the Americans will look after us.
Chris Hughton on 16:32 - May 13 with 2142 viewscentrestandswan

He'll stay, Brighton pebble beach vs Gower sands no competition .

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Chris Hughton on 17:04 - May 13 with 2064 viewswaynekerr55

Chris Hughton on 16:27 - May 13 by BillyChong

Played out a fairly average season and now in addition to almost certainly losing our best up and coming player are hearing strong rumours about losing our best off the field asset as well. But it’s ok, the Americans will look after us.

Dont criticise the club, ths players will get upset

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Chris Hughton on 18:22 - May 13 with 1898 viewsjack247

Chris Hughton on 16:24 - May 13 by jasper_T

Potter's taught the attacking side, now get Hughton in to provide a pragmatic edge and re-sign Potter in the PL after Brighton are relegated.

Common sense, innit.

Yep. Like we did with Monk
Chris Hughton on 18:42 - May 13 with 1821 viewsmagicdaps10

If Brighton want Potter, he will be gone.

It would be a disaster if we lose Potter, guy has been a breathe of fresh air......throw in the fact that I dont trust the yanks, we could be in real.trouble here.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Chris Hughton on 18:47 - May 13 with 1802 viewsDippy

2 million buyout clause seems rather low, hopefully it's b*llocks, because the yanks will take anything imo

Poll: Cooper Out

Chris Hughton on 18:48 - May 13 with 1799 viewsAnotherJohn

Rumour about Potter repeated on BBC News 24 Sportsday a few minutes ago.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 18:49]
Chris Hughton on 19:58 - May 13 with 1674 viewsjasper_T

Chris Hughton on 18:22 - May 13 by jack247

Yep. Like we did with Monk

And Sousa.
Chris Hughton on 20:02 - May 13 with 1657 viewsbluey_the_blue

Chris Hughton on 18:42 - May 13 by magicdaps10

If Brighton want Potter, he will be gone.

It would be a disaster if we lose Potter, guy has been a breathe of fresh air......throw in the fact that I dont trust the yanks, we could be in real.trouble here.

I'd say the bigger problem is at least you had ole Big nose to get Potter in.

If Potter goes, who has the football knowledge and background to advise owners on who should be the next manager?

Is there anyone you could promote internally?
Chris Hughton on 20:04 - May 13 with 1650 viewsSwansea93

Chris Hughton on 20:02 - May 13 by bluey_the_blue

If Potter goes, who has the football knowledge and background to advise owners on who should be the next manager?

Cameron Toshack or Britton would be my bet.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Chris Hughton on 20:29 - May 13 with 1601 viewsjasper_T

Chris Hughton on 20:02 - May 13 by bluey_the_blue

Trevor Birch has been around the game for a long time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024