Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Hughton 09:42 - May 13 with 15464 viewsVincent_Vega

Looking for a new job...

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Chris Hughton on 21:34 - May 13 with 2225 viewsjack247

Chris Hughton on 19:58 - May 13 by jasper_T

And Sousa.

I hope you’re not serious about appointing a pragmatist, should Potter leave, to tighten up the defence you’ve been arguing (with good reason) has been pretty solid.
Chris Hughton on 21:47 - May 13 with 2179 viewsjasper_T

Chris Hughton on 21:34 - May 13 by jack247

I hope you’re not serious about appointing a pragmatist, should Potter leave, to tighten up the defence you’ve been arguing (with good reason) has been pretty solid.

What's Brighton's record with set pieces like under Hughton?
Chris Hughton on 21:56 - May 13 with 2139 viewsjack247

Chris Hughton on 21:47 - May 13 by jasper_T

Pretty good I’d imagine. Do they score many goals?
Chris Hughton on 23:04 - May 13 with 2045 viewsTNT

Chris Hughton on 10:29 - May 13 by Joe_bradshaw

Nothing to worry about. Potter's sh1te apparently.

We'll appoint joint managers - Jasper and DYSS. They have all the answers so relax everyone.

Some people on here deserve a Bob Bradley, mate.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Chris Hughton on 23:12 - May 13 with 2024 viewsTNT

Chris Hughton on 16:32 - May 13 by centrestandswan

He'll stay, Brighton pebble beach vs Gower sands no competition .

...and chuck in a Joe's.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Chris Hughton on 00:35 - May 14 with 1957 viewsbrightonjack

Chris Hughton on 21:47 - May 13 by jasper_T

It was good; most of their goals came from set pieces. Until the new year that is, then Brighton stopped scoring. I think other teams figured them out.
Chris Hughton on 03:25 - May 14 with 1895 viewsdameedna

It looks like Brighton will want to talk with Potter. I can see Potter staying. It is a big ask to keep Brighton up next season. Swansea should get in the top 6.
Chris Hughton on 03:42 - May 14 with 1891 viewsGlyn1

Chris Hughton on 03:25 - May 14 by dameedna

It looks like Brighton will want to talk with Potter. I can see Potter staying. It is a big ask to keep Brighton up next season. Swansea should get in the top 6.

Whereas I can see him going. Brighton have got as good a chance as 6 or 7 other clubs, e.g. Southampton have been in a relegation battle for the last two seasons. It's a well run club, with a supportive chairman and some money, a new stadium and in a prosperous part of the country where he and his family could build for the future. I can't think of a better club to start his Premier League career with. Hope he stays though.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Login to get fewer ads

Chris Hughton on 04:20 - May 14 with 1877 viewsmajorraglan

Chris Hughton on 03:42 - May 14 by Glyn1

Whereas I can see him going. Brighton have got as good a chance as 6 or 7 other clubs, e.g. Southampton have been in a relegation battle for the last two seasons. It's a well run club, with a supportive chairman and some money, a new stadium and in a prosperous part of the country where he and his family could build for the future. I can't think of a better club to start his Premier League career with. Hope he stays though.

I agree with most of this. They are a club with a lot going for them.
Chris Hughton on 06:35 - May 14 with 1826 viewsWarwickHunt

Chris Hughton on 19:58 - May 13 by jasper_T

And Sousa.

Our work off the ball under Sousa went over the heads of the Brains’ Trust on here, and he wasn’t a ginger and didn’t dress like a twàt.
Chris Hughton on 07:09 - May 14 with 1788 viewswaynekerr55

Chris Hughton on 06:35 - May 14 by WarwickHunt

Our work off the ball under Sousa went over the heads of the Brains’ Trust on here, and he wasn’t a ginger and didn’t dress like a twàt.

And he had lips

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Chris Hughton on 17:45 - May 14 with 1603 viewsBytholWyn

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic today, for no particularly good reason. However, when Hughton got the sack Bloom was quoted as saying that the run that Brighton had been on "put our status at significant risk". This suggests he's like pretty much every owner once they've got to the Premier League - where retaining the club's status is everything, and where short-termism trumps any long-term vision. It doesn't have to be that way. Burnley were savvy when they first went up under Dyche. Pretty much stuck with the squad that got them promoted, with few additions, then used the parachute money once they were relegated to invest in training facilities and boost the club for the long-term - and sticking with Dyche in the process.

Potter clearly wants a project - he won't get that at a bottom-feeding Premier League club.
Chris Hughton on 18:15 - May 14 with 1545 viewsThornburyswan

Chris Hughton on 17:45 - May 14 by BytholWyn

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic today, for no particularly good reason. However, when Hughton got the sack Bloom was quoted as saying that the run that Brighton had been on "put our status at significant risk". This suggests he's like pretty much every owner once they've got to the Premier League - where retaining the club's status is everything, and where short-termism trumps any long-term vision. It doesn't have to be that way. Burnley were savvy when they first went up under Dyche. Pretty much stuck with the squad that got them promoted, with few additions, then used the parachute money once they were relegated to invest in training facilities and boost the club for the long-term - and sticking with Dyche in the process.

Potter clearly wants a project - he won't get that at a bottom-feeding Premier League club.

Me too - that said the reality of the Premier league is there are no real projects outside the top 8/10 teams (& most of those will knee jerk after a long bad run that looks like it might lead to relegation).

The 3 who go up plus Brighton/Soton/Burnley/B'mouth are probably next season's bottom 7 + a couple of the top 10 who for whatever reason will have a weak season, leaving around 4/5 clubs battling for 7th spot and a potential Europa league spot. All of those clubs will ditch their manager/back room team IF they hit a serious downward spiral.

So if you are Potter (or any other upwardly mobile younger manager for that matter) you have to take a view on whether you jump ship every time a 'better £££' offer comes in or you try & built a project/dynasty at one club, miss out on a few £££s, but fully evidence your ability & hope that either (1) you'll be seen as go to project guy & get picked up that way when you fancy a change or (2) you are happy to look to build an ongoing project & settle yourself/family (very few & far between options in reality for this).
Chris Hughton on 19:11 - May 14 with 1479 viewsjack247

Chris Hughton on 18:15 - May 14 by Thornburyswan

Me too - that said the reality of the Premier league is there are no real projects outside the top 8/10 teams (& most of those will knee jerk after a long bad run that looks like it might lead to relegation).

The 3 who go up plus Brighton/Soton/Burnley/B'mouth are probably next season's bottom 7 + a couple of the top 10 who for whatever reason will have a weak season, leaving around 4/5 clubs battling for 7th spot and a potential Europa league spot. All of those clubs will ditch their manager/back room team IF they hit a serious downward spiral.

So if you are Potter (or any other upwardly mobile younger manager for that matter) you have to take a view on whether you jump ship every time a 'better £££' offer comes in or you try & built a project/dynasty at one club, miss out on a few £££s, but fully evidence your ability & hope that either (1) you'll be seen as go to project guy & get picked up that way when you fancy a change or (2) you are happy to look to build an ongoing project & settle yourself/family (very few & far between options in reality for this).

That’s all very well if the board aren’t selling your best players at every opportunity, not allowing you to replace them and putting your coaching staff on possible redundancy notice.

How the hell do you build an ongoing project under those circumstances?
Chris Hughton on 19:43 - May 14 with 1428 viewsdobjack2

Chris Hughton on 04:20 - May 14 by majorraglan

I agree with most of this. They are a club with a lot going for them.

... apart from their current playing squad. The owner seems to want to bring through youngsters, which will be fine as long as he accepts the risk of relegation doing that and doesn’t get trigger happy with the manager.
Chris Hughton on 19:54 - May 14 with 1403 viewsThornburyswan

Chris Hughton on 19:11 - May 14 by jack247

That’s all very well if the board aren’t selling your best players at every opportunity, not allowing you to replace them and putting your coaching staff on possible redundancy notice.

How the hell do you build an ongoing project under those circumstances?

In reality you cannot, unless either it's not quite as bad as that or you came in with that understanding as part of the project/plan - if he's been sold a pup now' s the chance to make it known he'd like to be offski with his crew, trip down the south coast to Brighton & our American friends Bank circa £3M in compo & find a cheaper option to replace GP.

Initially delivers some £££s, might save some wages & suspect it would guarantee the likes of DJ, socks, Grimes etc beating a path to the door & bring in some more £££s - might even be enough to incentivise exits for the Ayews, Baston, Narsingh etc plus the free exits for Bony, Fer, Ollssen etc . . . . .. might leave us in a lot better financial position by August 8th............. until it comes to finding a way to deliver 50 pts next season!!

Birch & his American buddies can adopt the full fire sale approach & it might make the Bank manager smile but if it delivers Div 1 it will reduce the value of their investment & reduce potential for a sale.

For me we've made it clear we want to keep GP & I suspect that might be the end of it unless GP indicates an interest in talking to them - if so he'll be going.
Chris Hughton on 20:05 - May 14 with 1376 viewsjack247

Chris Hughton on 19:54 - May 14 by Thornburyswan

In reality you cannot, unless either it's not quite as bad as that or you came in with that understanding as part of the project/plan - if he's been sold a pup now' s the chance to make it known he'd like to be offski with his crew, trip down the south coast to Brighton & our American friends Bank circa £3M in compo & find a cheaper option to replace GP.

Initially delivers some £££s, might save some wages & suspect it would guarantee the likes of DJ, socks, Grimes etc beating a path to the door & bring in some more £££s - might even be enough to incentivise exits for the Ayews, Baston, Narsingh etc plus the free exits for Bony, Fer, Ollssen etc . . . . .. might leave us in a lot better financial position by August 8th............. until it comes to finding a way to deliver 50 pts next season!!

Birch & his American buddies can adopt the full fire sale approach & it might make the Bank manager smile but if it delivers Div 1 it will reduce the value of their investment & reduce potential for a sale.

For me we've made it clear we want to keep GP & I suspect that might be the end of it unless GP indicates an interest in talking to them - if so he'll be going.

He’d have known he wasn’t going into it with the PL squad, that cost cutting and promoting development players would be big themes last season. No way on earth would he have taken the job if he’d known the boys he brought with him would have redundancy threats at the end of the season.

Comments throughout the season, even from the owners, indicate he knew it was a big task, didn’t know how big.

And they haven’t made it clear they want to keep GP. They’ve released a pithy statement along the lines of ‘we’ll do everything we reasonably can to keep Graham, but Brighton may make him an offer he can’t refuse’.

If they were doing everything they reasonably could to keep him, he’d have to ask to leave before Brighton could even officially talk to him.
Chris Hughton on 20:48 - May 14 with 1336 viewsBytholWyn

Graham Potter may decide he wants to leave regardless of circumstances at Swansea, but it would be immensely frustrating if he were influenced by the mismanagement of the owners. They've made so many missteps it's hard to have any confidence in them - but surely they can see how much the squad has appreciated in value since Potter took over?

I don't think it's unreasonable to estimate that Grimes, Roberts, James, Rodon, McBurnie, VDH and Byers have appreciated in value by in excess of £40 million over the course of the season. That assumes that only one or two are sold in any given transfer window - as opposed to a firesale where I guess we'd get half to three quarters of their value.

Although it will be hard for Potter to keep repeating the trick it should be self-evident that simply from a business perspective holding on to Potter is a must. If it means that the owners need to slow down the return to balancing the books to appease Potter then they shouldn't hesitate to do so. I would still expect one or two of our younger players to leave, but as long as a portion (say a third) is re-invested in squad acquisitions, then that might be enough to keep Potter onside.

The big question is, how can Potter have any faith in the American owners not to repeat their decisions over Woods and James? As a consequence of the aborted James departure the club are likely to earn an extra £8 million or so when James does move on over the summer. If that doesn't make the Americans think long and hard I don't no what will.
Chris Hughton on 20:52 - May 14 with 1328 viewsjasper_T

Chris Hughton on 20:48 - May 14 by BytholWyn

Graham Potter may decide he wants to leave regardless of circumstances at Swansea, but it would be immensely frustrating if he were influenced by the mismanagement of the owners. They've made so many missteps it's hard to have any confidence in them - but surely they can see how much the squad has appreciated in value since Potter took over?

I don't think it's unreasonable to estimate that Grimes, Roberts, James, Rodon, McBurnie, VDH and Byers have appreciated in value by in excess of £40 million over the course of the season. That assumes that only one or two are sold in any given transfer window - as opposed to a firesale where I guess we'd get half to three quarters of their value.

Although it will be hard for Potter to keep repeating the trick it should be self-evident that simply from a business perspective holding on to Potter is a must. If it means that the owners need to slow down the return to balancing the books to appease Potter then they shouldn't hesitate to do so. I would still expect one or two of our younger players to leave, but as long as a portion (say a third) is re-invested in squad acquisitions, then that might be enough to keep Potter onside.

The big question is, how can Potter have any faith in the American owners not to repeat their decisions over Woods and James? As a consequence of the aborted James departure the club are likely to earn an extra £8 million or so when James does move on over the summer. If that doesn't make the Americans think long and hard I don't no what will.

It will be impossible for Potter or anyone to repeat that trick. Those players didn't emerge from nowhere, they're the best of a group that was acquired and developed over a period of 4/5 years with the glass ceiling of the PL holding them back.
Chris Hughton on 20:55 - May 14 with 1319 viewsjasper_T

Maybe I'm wrong though and this time next season Jordi, Cooper, Jones-Thomas, Jack Evans and Benda are worth £50m.
Chris Hughton on 21:05 - May 14 with 1292 viewsKilkennyjack

As a professional he cant turn Brighton down.
All about our compo now.

Sadly.

Beware of the Risen People

Chris Hughton on 21:07 - May 14 with 1288 viewsBytholWyn

Chris Hughton on 20:55 - May 14 by jasper_T

Maybe I'm wrong though and this time next season Jordi, Cooper, Jones-Thomas, Jack Evans and Benda are worth £50m.

Very glib, but that does rather ignore the fact that if we only sell two of our youngsters (similar to Norwich last summer) - say James and VDH, we would still have McBurnie, Grimes, Rodon, Roberts and Byers. All of whom would very probably continue to appreciate - as well as any youngsters stepping up from the U23s. Also, the squad doesn't need to appreciate £40 million every season to balance the books. We're probably talking about a net profit of somewhere in the region of £15 million on player sales to balance the books and keep us competitive in this division. I have every confidence that Potter can meet that target.

I really can't see why you can't see what Potter brings to the table. Talk about blind spots.
Chris Hughton on 21:13 - May 14 with 1270 viewsBytholWyn

@SwissRamble 's tweets on Brentford's finances show what can be achieved in the Championship with a progressive setup. They have averaged £14 million profit on player sales per season over the past 3 years - which is essential for them to remain solvent and competitive:
Chris Hughton on 21:59 - May 14 with 1218 viewsjasper_T

Chris Hughton on 21:07 - May 14 by BytholWyn

Very glib, but that does rather ignore the fact that if we only sell two of our youngsters (similar to Norwich last summer) - say James and VDH, we would still have McBurnie, Grimes, Rodon, Roberts and Byers. All of whom would very probably continue to appreciate - as well as any youngsters stepping up from the U23s. Also, the squad doesn't need to appreciate £40 million every season to balance the books. We're probably talking about a net profit of somewhere in the region of £15 million on player sales to balance the books and keep us competitive in this division. I have every confidence that Potter can meet that target.

I really can't see why you can't see what Potter brings to the table. Talk about blind spots.

Why is Potter essential to what you've just written, though? Surely those players would continue to play whoever is in charge, and we're not going to go out and buy finished articles when he's gone, are we?

It takes a certain type of manager but Potter is not the only one promoting young players and seeing them flourish in this division. Max Aarons, Rekeem Harper, Jayden Bogle, Jack Clarke etc. there are a lot of teenagers going from 0 to millions of quid each season here.
Chris Hughton on 01:16 - May 15 with 1105 viewsdameedna

It is a fair comment about the value of a manager. At times we can see the value GP brought but who knows, with someone who played different players, maybe we would already be promoted. I think GP has done well and will stay but if GP leaves, we won't have difficulty finding a similar coach.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024