Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potter Brighton ? 10:52 - May 13 with 43898 viewsCARDAN

Please no
Potter Brighton ? on 19:39 - May 14 with 2554 viewsjackrmee

Potter Brighton ? on 19:27 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

People on here going on about this might sway him, or that may sway him...

If Brighton want him, they will get him, simple as that.

They are Premier League, some of you are underestimating that.

Don't agree with that at all

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Potter Brighton ? on 19:40 - May 14 with 2551 viewsdobjack2

Potter Brighton ? on 19:27 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

People on here going on about this might sway him, or that may sway him...

If Brighton want him, they will get him, simple as that.

They are Premier League, some of you are underestimating that.

Clearly Brighton want to talk to him. If he wants to talk to them as well then I think it inevitable that they will talk.

After that it depends on whether Potter likes what he heard from Brighton more than he likes what Birch/our owners have to say to him down here.

It may end up being “simple as that” if Brighton are prepared to meet his expectations if/when they talk.
Potter Brighton ? on 19:43 - May 14 with 2521 viewsDippy

Potter Brighton ? on 19:39 - May 14 by jackrmee

Brighton will offer money that will set up his family for life. He's gone imo

Poll: Cooper Out

Potter Brighton ? on 19:48 - May 14 with 2491 viewsNeath_Jack

Potter Brighton ? on 19:39 - May 14 by jackrmee

That's ok

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Potter Brighton ? on 19:53 - May 14 with 2458 viewsjack247

Potter Brighton ? on 19:40 - May 14 by dobjack2

Clearly Brighton want to talk to him. If he wants to talk to them as well then I think it inevitable that they will talk.

After that it depends on whether Potter likes what he heard from Brighton more than he likes what Birch/our owners have to say to him down here.

It may end up being “simple as that” if Brighton are prepared to meet his expectations if/when they talk.

I don’t actually think Potter and Brighton are a very good fit at all. They have fallen into the same ‘stay up at all costs’ trap we did. They don’t have time for a progressive manager to implement a new style of play, either with players unsuited to it, or by making sweeping changes and going at it with a team full of new players. PL survival is paramount.

They are better off clinging on as long as they can with a pragmatic manager. The time for them to reinvent is the season after they get relegated.

I’m sure Potter will have those kind of doubts, but if he gets offered it, it’s a much more attractive proposition than getting hamstrung by Steve and Jase every transfer window
Potter Brighton ? on 20:00 - May 14 with 2414 viewsplasjack

Potter leaves the Swedish team for the Swans.
Potter leaves the Swans for Brighton.
We get a new manager.
Life goes on.
Potter Brighton ? on 20:01 - May 14 with 2407 viewsjasper_T

Potter Brighton ? on 19:53 - May 14 by jack247

I don’t actually think Potter and Brighton are a very good fit at all. They have fallen into the same ‘stay up at all costs’ trap we did. They don’t have time for a progressive manager to implement a new style of play, either with players unsuited to it, or by making sweeping changes and going at it with a team full of new players. PL survival is paramount.

They are better off clinging on as long as they can with a pragmatic manager. The time for them to reinvent is the season after they get relegated.

I’m sure Potter will have those kind of doubts, but if he gets offered it, it’s a much more attractive proposition than getting hamstrung by Steve and Jase every transfer window

Like we were better off clinging on, making annual losses and loading the club up with £80k/week contracts?

It's a mugs game. Every year spent doing things the wrong way makes reinvention harder, as we're seeing.
Potter Brighton ? on 20:07 - May 14 with 2369 viewsjack247

Potter Brighton ? on 20:01 - May 14 by jasper_T

Like we were better off clinging on, making annual losses and loading the club up with £80k/week contracts?

It's a mugs game. Every year spent doing things the wrong way makes reinvention harder, as we're seeing.

I can guarantee you if the owners had the choice of staying up playing shit football under Carvahal, with Bony and the Ayews on the wage bill, or getting relegated and having the season we have had, on and off the pitch, they’d have taken the former.
Login to get fewer ads

Potter Brighton ? on 20:12 - May 14 with 2342 viewsNeath_Jack

Potter Brighton ? on 20:07 - May 14 by jack247

I can guarantee you if the owners had the choice of staying up playing shit football under Carvahal, with Bony and the Ayews on the wage bill, or getting relegated and having the season we have had, on and off the pitch, they’d have taken the former.

And then the following year, we'd be throwing even more money about in an effort to stay up again. Just delaying the inevitable relegation and the huge debt.

We are not set up for prolonged stays in that monster of a league. The best thing would be a yoyo team, but that's also easier said than done.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Potter Brighton ? on 20:13 - May 14 with 2326 views34dfgdf54

Their fans are fuming with Potter being first choice. Cash is cash but he won’t get anywhere near the patience he’s had from fans here. Very tough to “build” something when the fans don’t buy into your ways.

It’s a bad move for him.

Edit - bad move long term. Save me the “PL, double wages” blah blah
[Post edited 14 May 2019 20:13]
Potter Brighton ? on 20:16 - May 14 with 2306 viewsNeath_Jack

Potter Brighton ? on 20:13 - May 14 by 34dfgdf54

Their fans are fuming with Potter being first choice. Cash is cash but he won’t get anywhere near the patience he’s had from fans here. Very tough to “build” something when the fans don’t buy into your ways.

It’s a bad move for him.

Edit - bad move long term. Save me the “PL, double wages” blah blah
[Post edited 14 May 2019 20:13]

Genuine question, how do you know they won't show him patience? You are scrabbling around looking for ANYTHING to convince yourself that he should't go mun. Brighton are in the driving seat, and we are in the trailer behind.

Potter Brighton ? on 20:17 - May 14 with 2301 viewsjack247

Potter Brighton ? on 20:12 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

And then the following year, we'd be throwing even more money about in an effort to stay up again. Just delaying the inevitable relegation and the huge debt.

We are not set up for prolonged stays in that monster of a league. The best thing would be a yoyo team, but that's also easier said than done.

Oh I know. It will happen to Brighton eventually too. That’s when I would think they will try a rebuild.

There’s probably not a single owner who would welcome relegation, even though they know their teams are caught in a spiral of shit football, mounting costs and a bigger crash when they eventually do go down.
Potter Brighton ? on 20:18 - May 14 with 2280 views34dfgdf54

Potter Brighton ? on 20:16 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

Genuine question, how do you know they won't show him patience? You are scrabbling around looking for ANYTHING to convince yourself that he should't go mun. Brighton are in the driving seat, and we are in the trailer behind.

I got no doubt they are in the driving seat.

I don’t know anything, past experience tells me though that when fans are on the managers back, the board of premier league clubs act. The general feeling from their fans looks negative to me, few bad results early he’ll be in trouble.
Potter Brighton ? on 20:19 - May 14 with 2280 viewsmagicdaps10

Potter Brighton ? on 20:12 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

It was important we kept to our first couple of years transfer policy in the prem.....scouting was key. We had to continue picking up good value players who were going to add to the team(Graham,Michu,Chico,Rouledge) but that went out the window when the greed took over the old board......they fell into the trap and they fell easily and so did with a lot of naivety.

The premier league is getting more money driven but with a lot of hard work and good scouting, there are players out there that come relatively cheap in todays market.......you have to be ahead of the game and not get caught up with the riches that are available and you can achieve in this league longer than is expected.

The club, especially the old board got lazy and this is why we find ourselves in the situation we are in today.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Potter Brighton ? on 20:21 - May 14 with 2270 viewsjasper_T

Potter Brighton ? on 20:07 - May 14 by jack247

The signing of Andre Ayew proves that. They spent their entire profit margin and more, and saddled the club with an insane wage obligation for years to come, trying to stay in the division. Were chasing even more players as well according to Carvalhal. And for what? Who benefited apart from a few of Huw's agent mates? The players would have made £10m in relegation avoidance bonuses, I suppose.

We'd have been much better off long term going down under Clement. Had assets worth a few bob that summer, who were actually wanted by clubs, and all the breakthrough players we've enjoyed this season were already waiting for their chance. The rot in the first team was already too far gone.

From the sound of it Brighton have been planning ahead, and not just for the best case "if we stay up" scenario.
Potter Brighton ? on 20:21 - May 14 with 2263 viewsjack247

Potter Brighton ? on 20:16 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

The fans may well do. We know as well as anyone it’s not fun playing unsuccessful, boring defensive football. Some of their fans may be open to relegation and better football.

I can’t see the owners wanting to take that big a gamble though. It’s bound to be very difficult to implement a new style of play, against better teams with bigger resources in a short space of time, while still picking up points.
Potter Brighton ? on 20:23 - May 14 with 2237 viewsmagicdaps10

Potter Brighton ? on 20:18 - May 14 by 34dfgdf54

I got no doubt they are in the driving seat.

I don’t know anything, past experience tells me though that when fans are on the managers back, the board of premier league clubs act. The general feeling from their fans looks negative to me, few bad results early he’ll be in trouble.

Regardless if it is a bad fit in opinion, Potter will back himself in the premier league..........more money and in the premier league!!!
If he improves on where they finished this season then his stock goes up.
Good luck to him, he has done extremely well here on the raw deal he was given. I remember meeting Bjorn Hamberg nigh on 12 months ago and without him saying it, he implied that the board had not given them what they were promised.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Potter Brighton ? on 20:25 - May 14 with 2222 viewsNeath_Jack

Potter Brighton ? on 20:21 - May 14 by jack247

The fans may well do. We know as well as anyone it’s not fun playing unsuccessful, boring defensive football. Some of their fans may be open to relegation and better football.

I can’t see the owners wanting to take that big a gamble though. It’s bound to be very difficult to implement a new style of play, against better teams with bigger resources in a short space of time, while still picking up points.

Better football doesn't equal automatic relegation though. Potter (as all managers) will believe in his system and his own ability. If you listen to most on here, he single handedly dragged us from certain relegation to just outside the play-offs. What makes you think he can't have a similar effect at Brighton?

Any manager is a gamble, and if Potter is as good as some on here think he is, then Brighton shouldn't be a problem either.

Potter Brighton ? on 20:32 - May 14 with 2180 viewsjack247

Potter Brighton ? on 20:25 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

Better football doesn't equal automatic relegation though. Potter (as all managers) will believe in his system and his own ability. If you listen to most on here, he single handedly dragged us from certain relegation to just outside the play-offs. What makes you think he can't have a similar effect at Brighton?

Any manager is a gamble, and if Potter is as good as some on here think he is, then Brighton shouldn't be a problem either.

No it doesn’t, but PL chairmen with huge money at risk, just want the 36 points or whatever it takes to stay up. Everything else is a distant consideration.

The most likely way to achieve that, particularly with a squad like Brightons, is making your team hard to break down. They try to play it out from the back like we do, against PL teams, and they are likely to get murdered.

They aren’t in the same situation as we were when we went up under Rodgers, with players used to playing that kind of football. Even Bournemouth have started to go the sane way.
Potter Brighton ? on 20:34 - May 14 with 2159 viewsjasper_T

Potter Brighton ? on 20:32 - May 14 by jack247

No it doesn’t, but PL chairmen with huge money at risk, just want the 36 points or whatever it takes to stay up. Everything else is a distant consideration.

The most likely way to achieve that, particularly with a squad like Brightons, is making your team hard to break down. They try to play it out from the back like we do, against PL teams, and they are likely to get murdered.

They aren’t in the same situation as we were when we went up under Rodgers, with players used to playing that kind of football. Even Bournemouth have started to go the sane way.

We did better against City than most PL teams this season.

Murdered playing out from the back, though, yeah.
Potter Brighton ? on 20:41 - May 14 with 2106 viewsjack247

Potter Brighton ? on 20:34 - May 14 by jasper_T

We did better against City than most PL teams this season.

Murdered playing out from the back, though, yeah.

That was one cup game in which we conceded three goals. You’re getting into anyone can win the league if Leicester can here.

If Brighton’s team are suited to that kind of football and their owners are prepared to take that kind of gamble, they should appoint Potter. Steve and Jase won’t make it hard for them.
Potter Brighton ? on 21:31 - May 14 with 1930 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Potter would be crazy not to take the chance in the Premier League. Worst case scenario is he gets sacked at Christmas with a big pay off.

If he stays and we start badly we’ll be calling for his head here. It’s football

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Potter Brighton ? on 21:35 - May 14 with 1904 viewssainthelens

Potter Brighton ? on 21:31 - May 14 by Joe_bradshaw

Potter would be crazy not to take the chance in the Premier League. Worst case scenario is he gets sacked at Christmas with a big pay off.

If he stays and we start badly we’ll be calling for his head here. It’s football

IF he stays, and we don't lose too many, I'd be very confident we'll make a decent start.
Potter Brighton ? on 21:41 - May 14 with 1878 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Potter Brighton ? on 21:35 - May 14 by sainthelens

IF he stays, and we don't lose too many, I'd be very confident we'll make a decent start.

So will I.

I’m just pointing out that we’re all as fickle as f**k if we’re honest.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Potter Brighton ? on 22:14 - May 14 with 1736 viewsPrivate_Partz

Potter Brighton ? on 20:19 - May 14 by magicdaps10

It was important we kept to our first couple of years transfer policy in the prem.....scouting was key. We had to continue picking up good value players who were going to add to the team(Graham,Michu,Chico,Rouledge) but that went out the window when the greed took over the old board......they fell into the trap and they fell easily and so did with a lot of naivety.

The premier league is getting more money driven but with a lot of hard work and good scouting, there are players out there that come relatively cheap in todays market.......you have to be ahead of the game and not get caught up with the riches that are available and you can achieve in this league longer than is expected.

The club, especially the old board got lazy and this is why we find ourselves in the situation we are in today.

Yes spot on.
Our job staying in the top flight was no more difficult than half the teams there.
We scouted well for players and had managers that players wanted to play for.
That was until Jenkins decided he was Gods gift to football.
Yes it was going to happen but what happened under Jenkins was completely and utterly avoidable.
If Brighton get Potter and start playing to his style then, coupled with a good scouting system, there is no reason they could not progress to a mid table team.
Likewise if we keep Potter and back him up there is no reason why we can't make a fist of promotion next season.
Unfortunately the former is much more likely than the latter.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024