Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gay and transgender relationship 12:15 - May 16 with 17684 viewsvalleyboy

Should this be taught/discussed with children as young as 6 and 7 in our schools

Myself I would have thought there are much more important subjects to be taught

So that children come out with a decent education and be able to get good employment
Gay and transgender relationship on 21:50 - May 17 with 910 viewsGaryjack

Gay and transgender relationship on 21:30 - May 17 by TNT

He can blame teachers all he wants mate, people like that like to avoid parenting skills.

In the interests of balance, i seriously doubt whether Jackarmee has any parenting skills whatsoever or is indeed a parent at all! I'd be truly dismayed if he was.
Gay and transgender relationship on 21:55 - May 17 with 902 viewsTNT

Gay and transgender relationship on 21:50 - May 17 by Garyjack

In the interests of balance, i seriously doubt whether Jackarmee has any parenting skills whatsoever or is indeed a parent at all! I'd be truly dismayed if he was.

In the interest of balance Gary, I don't think Jackarmee made any reference to parenting... that was me.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:14 - May 17 with 871 viewsGaryjack

Gay and transgender relationship on 21:55 - May 17 by TNT

In the interest of balance Gary, I don't think Jackarmee made any reference to parenting... that was me.

Fair enough. I guess i was just trying to make the point that no parent would like their 6 or 7 year old to be taught about LGBT. Which does beg the question, are there any parents on here that would like their 6/7 yr old child to be made aware of homosexuality and transgender issues?
Gay and transgender relationship on 22:25 - May 17 with 843 viewsjack2jack

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:14 - May 17 by Garyjack

Fair enough. I guess i was just trying to make the point that no parent would like their 6 or 7 year old to be taught about LGBT. Which does beg the question, are there any parents on here that would like their 6/7 yr old child to be made aware of homosexuality and transgender issues?

I wouldn't, but you know that already, and I'm not changing my mind, it's too young.
I've mulled it over today, and I still don't see any Benifit to children of that age.
I'm clearly a dinosaur and out of touch with modern thinking,but stick to what I've said.
Gay and transgender relationship on 22:33 - May 17 with 830 viewsGaryjack

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:25 - May 17 by jack2jack

I wouldn't, but you know that already, and I'm not changing my mind, it's too young.
I've mulled it over today, and I still don't see any Benifit to children of that age.
I'm clearly a dinosaur and out of touch with modern thinking,but stick to what I've said.

Your not a dinosaur mate. I've asked the question. Would any parent or Grandparent be happy with their 6/7 year old child to be taught about homosexuality and Transgenders?
Gay and transgender relationship on 22:36 - May 17 with 818 viewsDarran

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:33 - May 17 by Garyjack

Your not a dinosaur mate. I've asked the question. Would any parent or Grandparent be happy with their 6/7 year old child to be taught about homosexuality and Transgenders?

I wouldn’t be happy about it.
My grandson is 6 in July,there’s absolutely no need to be taught about it for a few years yet.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:47 - May 17 with 803 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay and transgender relationship on 19:40 - May 17 by Garyjack

I don't think i have actually as it's "The earliest possible age" i have an issue with. Kids at that age do not understand these issues, why confuse them? I agree it should be taught, but it should be later, when they are nearing puberty and starting to understand their sexuality. Kids of 6 or 7 haven't a bloody clue. Leave them alone and let them just be kids that's all.

Don’t understand what issues?

The fact that people love each other?

Don’t you read your kids Sleeping Beauty? Cinderella? Watch films with them with a love element?

Kids don’t have a clue. You’re right. To them it makes no difference whether it’s a boy and a girl, two boys or two girls. As someone said earlier in this thread, their response is usually - ok. They are taught it’s different. By parents who think it’s different. Which is why kids are killing themselves because they can’t cope with being different.

Puberty is way too late. Kids are bullied for being different much younger than that.

All that these lessons are doing is saying everyone is equally important, there’s no right and wrong about being yourself, and they need to be tolerant of everyone, whatever the gender, sexuality, colour and religion. Most people surely tell their kids about this stuff anyway.

As an aside, and it’s a massive generalisation to be fair, but why is it that women seem so much more instinctively tolerant of all this sort of stuff? What on earth are so many men worried about?
Gay and transgender relationship on 22:49 - May 17 with 802 viewsGaryjack

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:36 - May 17 by Darran

My grandson is 6 in July,there’s absolutely no need to be taught about it for a few years yet.

Exactly. And i very much doubt whether anyone who has posted on this thread in support of it actually has kids. End of.
Login to get fewer ads

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:50 - May 17 with 797 viewsGaryjack

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:47 - May 17 by londonlisa2001

Don’t understand what issues?

The fact that people love each other?

Don’t you read your kids Sleeping Beauty? Cinderella? Watch films with them with a love element?

Kids don’t have a clue. You’re right. To them it makes no difference whether it’s a boy and a girl, two boys or two girls. As someone said earlier in this thread, their response is usually - ok. They are taught it’s different. By parents who think it’s different. Which is why kids are killing themselves because they can’t cope with being different.

Puberty is way too late. Kids are bullied for being different much younger than that.

All that these lessons are doing is saying everyone is equally important, there’s no right and wrong about being yourself, and they need to be tolerant of everyone, whatever the gender, sexuality, colour and religion. Most people surely tell their kids about this stuff anyway.

As an aside, and it’s a massive generalisation to be fair, but why is it that women seem so much more instinctively tolerant of all this sort of stuff? What on earth are so many men worried about?

Do you have children Lisa?
Gay and transgender relationship on 22:51 - May 17 with 794 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:36 - May 17 by Darran

Taught that everyone is equally valid and to be tolerant of differences?

No wonder there is such a culture of horrible bullying in society if people don’t want their kids taught to be respectful of others and not to value people who are different to them.
Gay and transgender relationship on 22:55 - May 17 with 784 viewsGaryjack

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:51 - May 17 by londonlisa2001

No wonder there is such a culture of horrible bullying in society if people don’t want their kids taught to be respectful of others and not to value people who are different to them.

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:02 - May 17 with 756 viewsDarran

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:51 - May 17 by londonlisa2001

No I believe toddlers need to be able to grow a bit first. I didn’t say they shouldn’t be taught about it mind Lis I just think it should start about 9/10 not 5/6.

On a side note the mother of a five year old little girl in my grandsons class died suddenly last weekend,not one of the other children have been told about it and the parents have not told their children about it yet because the five year old little girl hasn’t missed any school.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:04 - May 17 with 754 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:55 - May 17 by Garyjack

What difference does that make?

I don’t as it happens, but I have niece / nephew and several god children. All of whom were told all this stuff way before school. All are in schools where there are all sorts of family units, families with two mums / two dads, and transgender kids as well. They don’t give a stuff.

As with everything in life, if you don’t tell them, and school doesn’t tell them, they’ll hear about it all from other kids and get it a*se about face anyway, which is far more confusing than telling them as part of everyday life and conversations about stuff.
Gay and transgender relationship on 23:06 - May 17 with 744 viewsGaryjack

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:02 - May 17 by Darran

No I believe toddlers need to be able to grow a bit first. I didn’t say they shouldn’t be taught about it mind Lis I just think it should start about 9/10 not 5/6.

On a side note the mother of a five year old little girl in my grandsons class died suddenly last weekend,not one of the other children have been told about it and the parents have not told their children about it yet because the five year old little girl hasn’t missed any school.

That's really sad to hear.
Gay and transgender relationship on 23:07 - May 17 with 732 viewsUxbridge

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:04 - May 17 by londonlisa2001

I don’t as it happens, but I have niece / nephew and several god children. All of whom were told all this stuff way before school. All are in schools where there are all sorts of family units, families with two mums / two dads, and transgender kids as well. They don’t give a stuff.

As with everything in life, if you don’t tell them, and school doesn’t tell them, they’ll hear about it all from other kids and get it a*se about face anyway, which is far more confusing than telling them as part of everyday life and conversations about stuff.

Well I do have kids, which obviously makes my view more acceptable but I thought everything you wrote was absolutely spot on. Most prejudices I've seen kids have had been a result of their parents or those close to them.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:11 - May 17 with 725 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:02 - May 17 by Darran

No one waits until kids are 9/10 to tell them that there are families with Mummy and Daddy who love each other. It’s in their face from the time they are conscious. Telling them as they grow that some people have families where there are two daddies or two mummies and that’s fine too isn’t an issue.

Nobody (I imagine anyway) thinks kids that age are being taught about sex. Whatever the combination. It’s just about people being different and that difference is fine.

The death one is hard. The issue is that one of the kids is going to ask the little girl about her Mummy and why her Mummy doesn’t pick her up from school anymore (or similar). How dreadful though. Just awful beyond bloody belief. Poor kid.
Gay and transgender relationship on 23:13 - May 17 with 722 viewsjackrmee

Gay and transgender relationship on 19:01 - May 17 by Garyjack

Yes i do, are you saying it's better than all their schoolmates knowing they are 'different' at a very early age rather than having a proffesional person to talk with and help to guide them?

That is exactly what I'm saying. Of course it's better for their schoolmates to know. EVERYONE is 'diffferent'. Being gay isn't an abnormality ffs.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:15 - May 17 with 715 viewsProfessor

I have two teenage children and fully support everything Lisa says. Also have had the privilege to teach and work with a number of LGBT people. I wish I had understood this better rather than the man and woman in a marriage pony I had in school. Always felt so inclusive to a child in a single parent family. We are all different, it is just many of behave in a way to conform to social mores.
Gay and transgender relationship on 23:16 - May 17 with 713 viewsjackrmee

Gay and transgender relationship on 19:09 - May 17 by Garyjack

Of course they bloody do! Do you honestly think gays, lesbians and transgenders shout it from the rooftops when it dawns on them that they are what they are? Many go through years of turmoil and struggle, many commit suicide as they cannot accept it! But that is not the issue here is it?

They go through turmoil because others cannot accept it! Like you by the sounds of it.
"What they are", is humans like everyone else mate.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:20 - May 17 with 708 viewsjackrmee

Gay and transgender relationship on 21:50 - May 17 by Garyjack

Please elaborate...

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:21 - May 17 with 703 viewsjackrmee

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:14 - May 17 by Garyjack

Yes.

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:23 - May 17 with 697 viewsjackrmee

Gay and transgender relationship on 22:33 - May 17 by Garyjack

So if you were gay, at what age would you say it's appropriate to stop hiding it from your kids and finally tell them that it's normal?

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:24 - May 17 with 696 viewsGaryjack

What difference does that make? .......I'll tell you what difference it makes, and it's quite a simple one. If you were a parent in a hetrosexual relationship, or even a single parent. You would not want your 6/7 year old child to be taught about homosexuality and transgenders. It matters not whether you know lots of people who are, and they have kids, they're not your kids. If they were you wouldn't have the same views. And don't reply that you would as you haven't a clue what you are talking about as you are not a parent!
Gay and transgender relationship on 23:27 - May 17 with 690 viewslondonlisa2001

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:15 - May 17 by Professor

I have two teenage children and fully support everything Lisa says. Also have had the privilege to teach and work with a number of LGBT people. I wish I had understood this better rather than the man and woman in a marriage pony I had in school. Always felt so inclusive to a child in a single parent family. We are all different, it is just many of behave in a way to conform to social mores.

Actually, sorry, that’s a good point - I meant to mention kids who grow up in single parent families, whether it’s with a Mum or Dad. Goes back to the ‘all sorts of different family units’ I mentioned earlier and making kids realise all are ‘normal’ even if some are less ‘common’ and that it’s all fine and to be valued.
Gay and transgender relationship on 23:31 - May 17 with 674 viewsUxbridge

Gay and transgender relationship on 23:24 - May 17 by Garyjack

What difference does that make? .......I'll tell you what difference it makes, and it's quite a simple one. If you were a parent in a hetrosexual relationship, or even a single parent. You would not want your 6/7 year old child to be taught about homosexuality and transgenders. It matters not whether you know lots of people who are, and they have kids, they're not your kids. If they were you wouldn't have the same views. And don't reply that you would as you haven't a clue what you are talking about as you are not a parent!

Nonsense. You might not. Big difference. Don't pass off your prejudices as the norm, or what should be done.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024