Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potter offered a new contact 14:52 - May 17 with 10792 viewsCARDAN

Is this smoke and mirrors or are the owners genuinely trying to save this mess from getting worse?
Potter offered a new contact on 14:54 - May 17 with 5125 viewsThrasher6

Where please...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Potter offered a new contact on 14:59 - May 17 with 5070 viewsjasper_T

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48311428
Potter offered a new contact on 15:03 - May 17 with 5019 viewsJinxy

Hopefully the club won't be dumb enough to offer him a greatly enhanced deal, without providing assurances for the transfer window and beyond - I think he has more substance than that. A nice shiny contract would simply not be enough for him. If Potter goes, we can guess the rest. If he stays, the future's bright. We'll know soon enough.
Potter offered a new contact on 15:05 - May 17 with 4991 viewsFireboy2

Potter offered a new contact on 14:59 - May 17 by jasper_T

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48311428

This is the acid test for all.

He turns b&ha down and signs an extension it shows that the board are going to back him this summer.

The next few days are going to be interesting.
Potter offered a new contact on 15:10 - May 17 with 4933 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Potter offered a new contact on 15:05 - May 17 by Fireboy2

This is the acid test for all.

He turns b&ha down and signs an extension it shows that the board are going to back him this summer.

The next few days are going to be interesting.

Agreed. Maybe my new ST wasn't a waste of cash after all

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Potter offered a new contact on 15:16 - May 17 with 4874 viewsjackrmee

I'm guessing he's on small wages in comparison to the rest of this league. He's increasing players' value no end. He's not complaining about the way he's had to work.
He's the most important cog in not only a fans point of view, due to the way we are progressing, but also from a financial point of view.
We may gain a few quid in compo, but where will we find someone likely to do a good job from the yank's point of view, for a decent price? And trying another one out is a major gamble. We know what we have in Potter now. Much safer to keep him than cash in. I tthink the yanks will know this, they aint dull.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Potter offered a new contact on 15:25 - May 17 with 4808 viewsjasper_T

Potter offered a new contact on 15:16 - May 17 by jackrmee

I'm guessing he's on small wages in comparison to the rest of this league. He's increasing players' value no end. He's not complaining about the way he's had to work.
He's the most important cog in not only a fans point of view, due to the way we are progressing, but also from a financial point of view.
We may gain a few quid in compo, but where will we find someone likely to do a good job from the yank's point of view, for a decent price? And trying another one out is a major gamble. We know what we have in Potter now. Much safer to keep him than cash in. I tthink the yanks will know this, they aint dull.

We paid £700k to get him here, not sure why you'd assume he's on low wages compared to most of the division.

Won't be on Bruce/Pulis/O'Neill/Bielsa money, but they're far from the norm.
Potter offered a new contact on 15:28 - May 17 with 4771 viewsmonmouth

But we can't possibly outbid Brighton, for salary or transfer kitty, if those are the defining factors. All this will do is make it more expensive for them as they'll have to more than match a bigger wage.

If they really want him and have no alternatives lined up we might as well grab our ankles.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Potter offered a new contact on 15:43 - May 17 with 4649 viewsVincent_Vega

If he signs then that's the best start to this window.

Meaningless unless the club back him financially.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Potter offered a new contact on 15:48 - May 17 with 4608 viewssainthelens

Potter offered a new contact on 15:03 - May 17 by Jinxy

Hopefully the club won't be dumb enough to offer him a greatly enhanced deal, without providing assurances for the transfer window and beyond - I think he has more substance than that. A nice shiny contract would simply not be enough for him. If Potter goes, we can guess the rest. If he stays, the future's bright. We'll know soon enough.

The owners have to realise if he goes, then there will be plenty not renewing ST s. As many have now said, this is NOW the acid test . I really think his/their decision could define the next few years.
Potter offered a new contact on 15:55 - May 17 with 4539 viewsDarran

Potter offered a new contact on 15:48 - May 17 by sainthelens

The owners have to realise if he goes, then there will be plenty not renewing ST s. As many have now said, this is NOW the acid test . I really think his/their decision could define the next few years.

Not renewing season tickets for when? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Potter offered a new contact on 15:58 - May 17 with 4511 viewssainthelens

Potter offered a new contact on 15:55 - May 17 by Darran

Not renewing season tickets for when? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Renewing/buying ...for next season. You knew what I meant Daz.
Potter offered a new contact on 15:58 - May 17 with 4509 viewsgrabsplatter

Potter offered a new contact on 15:25 - May 17 by jasper_T

We paid £700k to get him here, not sure why you'd assume he's on low wages compared to most of the division.

Won't be on Bruce/Pulis/O'Neill/Bielsa money, but they're far from the norm.

Add Lampard to that list
Potter offered a new contact on 16:05 - May 17 with 4428 viewsDarran

Potter offered a new contact on 15:03 - May 17 by Jinxy

‪At this moment in time I’d have thought it’s virtually impossible to give him assurances. ‬

Potter offered a new contact on 16:05 - May 17 with 4427 viewsjasper_T

Potter offered a new contact on 15:58 - May 17 by grabsplatter

Add Lampard to that list

Possibly. On more than the guys coming up from League One/Two or Bundesliga youth teams, I'd imagine. Martin O'Neill money might be a bit of a stretch, though.
Potter offered a new contact on 16:06 - May 17 with 4413 viewssainthelens

Potter offered a new contact on 16:05 - May 17 by Darran

‪At this moment in time I’d have thought it’s virtually impossible to give him assurances. ‬

How's that buddy? You saying they have no plan at all ?
Potter offered a new contact on 16:13 - May 17 with 4364 viewsjasper_T

Potter offered a new contact on 16:06 - May 17 by sainthelens

How's that buddy? You saying they have no plan at all ?

I imagine the plan depends entirely on shifting the anchors around the club's neck. Can't make any guarantees until the Ayews and Baston find new homes, or don't.
Potter offered a new contact on 16:16 - May 17 with 4329 viewsgrabsplatter

Potter offered a new contact on 16:05 - May 17 by jasper_T

Possibly. On more than the guys coming up from League One/Two or Bundesliga youth teams, I'd imagine. Martin O'Neill money might be a bit of a stretch, though.

One of the journalists on Talkshite reckoned he was on really big money for the Championship
Potter offered a new contact on 16:35 - May 17 with 4193 viewsBytholWyn

A new contract will help, but if money was the be all and end all then Potter would have left already.

More than anything else Potter will want assurances as to how we're going to manage the finances. I'm sure he's not an unreasonable person, and so would understand that one of the crown jewels may need to be sold (i.e. James), but he would want assurances regarding the funds that would be made available to him in the event of any cash coming in. He knew the score when he came in, and has consistently stated his understanding of the situation. What he wouldn't have expected is the manner in which decisions have made - in particular the panicky decision to axe the Woods deal, and the fiasco of the James aborted deal.

The question is how can the Americans give Potter the assurances that they won't make the same stupid mistakes again? They will have to show a lot more faith in Potter and his team's judgement and give him a freer hand - but I wonder whether there is sufficient trust left in the relationship. I think it's 50/50 whether Potter leaves or not, but if he does go it's a very bad sign, because if Potter was less principled he would have left already. HIs departure would signal that he has no confidence or trust in the American owners.
Potter offered a new contact on 16:42 - May 17 with 4133 viewsjasper_T

Potter offered a new contact on 16:35 - May 17 by BytholWyn

A new contract will help, but if money was the be all and end all then Potter would have left already.

More than anything else Potter will want assurances as to how we're going to manage the finances. I'm sure he's not an unreasonable person, and so would understand that one of the crown jewels may need to be sold (i.e. James), but he would want assurances regarding the funds that would be made available to him in the event of any cash coming in. He knew the score when he came in, and has consistently stated his understanding of the situation. What he wouldn't have expected is the manner in which decisions have made - in particular the panicky decision to axe the Woods deal, and the fiasco of the James aborted deal.

The question is how can the Americans give Potter the assurances that they won't make the same stupid mistakes again? They will have to show a lot more faith in Potter and his team's judgement and give him a freer hand - but I wonder whether there is sufficient trust left in the relationship. I think it's 50/50 whether Potter leaves or not, but if he does go it's a very bad sign, because if Potter was less principled he would have left already. HIs departure would signal that he has no confidence or trust in the American owners.

The main difference between then and now is a new chairman.

Although I would hope if Birch had been around we still wouldn't have bought Woods and would have pulled the plug on the James sale.

Potter would forfeit a lot financially if he'd thrown a wobbler and bailed, so I don't know how you can claim it is only principles that have kept him here. Managers of his background don't bin a three year contract at a Championship club lightly, especially when they've just moved their whole family over from another country.
Potter offered a new contact on 16:42 - May 17 with 4133 views3swan

As contract negotiations are normally confidential, which side has released the news to the media?

And why?
Potter offered a new contact on 16:52 - May 17 with 4045 viewsDarran

Potter offered a new contact on 16:13 - May 17 by jasper_T

I imagine the plan depends entirely on shifting the anchors around the club's neck. Can't make any guarantees until the Ayews and Baston find new homes, or don't.

Thanks for saving me to answer Jasp.

Potter offered a new contact on 16:55 - May 17 with 4023 viewsDarran

Potter offered a new contact on 15:58 - May 17 by sainthelens

Renewing/buying ...for next season. You knew what I meant Daz.

You said renewing it confused me.

Potter offered a new contact on 17:05 - May 17 with 3963 viewsBytholWyn

Potter offered a new contact on 16:42 - May 17 by jasper_T

The main difference between then and now is a new chairman.

Although I would hope if Birch had been around we still wouldn't have bought Woods and would have pulled the plug on the James sale.

Potter would forfeit a lot financially if he'd thrown a wobbler and bailed, so I don't know how you can claim it is only principles that have kept him here. Managers of his background don't bin a three year contract at a Championship club lightly, especially when they've just moved their whole family over from another country.

That would be true if he wasn't certain of the Brighton job. In any event, there are ways and means of registering your dissatisfaction through the media without repercussions. The fact that we have heard nothing whatsoever out of the Potter camp I would suggest reflects his principles - but you're entitled to take a more cynical view of things.
Potter offered a new contact on 17:09 - May 17 with 3924 viewssainthelens

Potter offered a new contact on 16:13 - May 17 by jasper_T

Tbh Jasp, I already took that as a given, they've had months to work that into "a plan '. I'm struggling to get that they'll leave it till after all that is sorted to actually hand Potts a plan moving forward.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024