Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Routeledge 09:02 - May 18 with 7473 viewsexiledinenglandjack

On the released list 🤷🏻‍♂️
Routeledge on 11:14 - May 18 with 1777 viewsjackrmee

Routeledge on 10:54 - May 18 by dickythorpe

You can't have a contrary opinion anymore Dar.

It's like those that have a pop at a few of us who can't understand the Potter love in.

Imagine we were Brighton right now and the favourite to boss us in the top level was a manager that can't coach a defence?
We'd be full of it.

We'll see if the set pieces improve next season. I think "can't coach a defence" is untrue, or at least unknown and unfair. Our defence did pretty well as stats show. Set pieces were another matter.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Routeledge on 11:26 - May 18 with 1735 viewsjackrmee

Routledge could be back...
Hopefully.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wayne-routledges-swan

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Routeledge on 11:27 - May 18 with 1726 viewsNotLoyal

Routeledge on 11:08 - May 18 by Darran

Twàts everywhere on here these days Dick. No wonder nobody posts here anymore.
[Post edited 18 May 2019 11:15]

Everyone is a tw@t to someone.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Routeledge on 11:36 - May 18 with 1695 viewsCooperman

A good servant to the club over the course of his time here; doesn't cause upset in the ranks.

It's not his fault that he was awarded a contract extension. None of us would have turned it down and nobody should ever accuse him of being here for the meal ticket.

It is also fair to say that he wasn't very good in our last few years of Premier League football and he is certainly more accustomed to Championship level these days. That said it should be expected that his performance may drop off again next year as he clocks up another year closer to 40.

Could he do a job for us - yes
Should this be a mega money contract - no
Will there be better offers elsewhere - I would assume this to be the case
What would I do - £5k one year deal with a fairly substantial win bonus.

Either way - thank you for your efforts, Routs. You've been a good professional.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Routeledge on 11:40 - May 18 with 1676 viewsjackrmee

Routeledge on 11:36 - May 18 by Cooperman

A good servant to the club over the course of his time here; doesn't cause upset in the ranks.

It's not his fault that he was awarded a contract extension. None of us would have turned it down and nobody should ever accuse him of being here for the meal ticket.

It is also fair to say that he wasn't very good in our last few years of Premier League football and he is certainly more accustomed to Championship level these days. That said it should be expected that his performance may drop off again next year as he clocks up another year closer to 40.

Could he do a job for us - yes
Should this be a mega money contract - no
Will there be better offers elsewhere - I would assume this to be the case
What would I do - £5k one year deal with a fairly substantial win bonus.

Either way - thank you for your efforts, Routs. You've been a good professional.

£5k a week?
Aren't the lowest first teamers on around £10-15k?

Routeledge on 11:47 - May 18 with 1651 viewsCooperman

Routeledge on 11:40 - May 18 by jackrmee

£5k a week?
Aren't the lowest first teamers on around £10-15k?

Possibly so but some of these were contracts awarded in the Premier League era. Now we don't have the proverbial pot to take a leak in. Plus there is the matter of Routledge indicating his undeniable love for our club. £5k basic and decent a win bonus is all I'm prepared to stretch to, sorry.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Routeledge on 11:57 - May 18 with 1629 viewsmonmouth

Well obviously the club didn't want his contract extended on the ridiculous wage jenkins had given him (when ever since 2013, he has been going downhill and was clearly not a PL playerover the last few years). He now gets the freedom to look around and see if he can get an inflated deal elsewhere, whereas if he can't then maybe he and us will come to some more reasonable arrangement. There is no doubt in my mind that he'd be an asset at this level for another season. I expect him to get a better deal than we would give somewhere else though. Probably QPR. Meanwhile, we'll be stuck with McKay.
[Post edited 18 May 2019 11:58]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Routeledge on 12:05 - May 18 with 1590 viewsdickythorpe

Routeledge on 11:14 - May 18 by jackrmee

We'll see if the set pieces improve next season. I think "can't coach a defence" is untrue, or at least unknown and unfair. Our defence did pretty well as stats show. Set pieces were another matter.

Good articulate response. I really hope if he's still with us he can improve us.
Login to get fewer ads

Routeledge on 12:26 - May 18 with 1537 viewsjack247

Routeledge on 10:08 - May 18 by Luther27

Yes, but Routledge had that removed from his contract, and that's why he made himself available to us knowing his contract wouldn't be automatically extended for another year.

Yes I know that. He had a choice of play and don’t get a contract extension or don’t play and don’t get a contract extension.

He wasn’t losing anything by foregoing it.
Routeledge on 12:26 - May 18 with 1537 viewsjackrmee

Routeledge on 11:47 - May 18 by Cooperman

Possibly so but some of these were contracts awarded in the Premier League era. Now we don't have the proverbial pot to take a leak in. Plus there is the matter of Routledge indicating his undeniable love for our club. £5k basic and decent a win bonus is all I'm prepared to stretch to, sorry.

Fair enough.
I'd offer him a one year deal with wages in line with our other important players who have recently signed new deals. If he can do a job for us, he should be paid in line with the others imo

Routeledge on 12:35 - May 18 with 1504 viewsMrSwerve

If his wage demands aren’t rediculous then it’s a no brainer for me.

Experienced, decent in this league and a bit of continuity from the ‘old’ squad.

Deserves one more year.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Routeledge on 12:38 - May 18 with 1489 viewsjack247

Routeledge on 12:26 - May 18 by jackrmee

Fair enough.
I'd offer him a one year deal with wages in line with our other important players who have recently signed new deals. If he can do a job for us, he should be paid in line with the others imo

He’s got no resale value, which pretty much all the others have. That would have to be taken into account if he’s offered a new deal.

That aside, he’d be likely be a key first team player, so would be entitled to expect a wage reflecting that. He’ll pick up a decent deal somewhere else if we don’t give him one.
Routeledge on 12:46 - May 18 with 1468 viewsJacket

We'd already guessed as much, but I'm still stunned he's leaving. A year ago I'd have happily driven him to his next club, a year later, and despite proving many wrong, he's on his way. Thought he was done, but he's proven he's more than capable at Championship level.
Routeledge on 12:49 - May 18 with 1457 viewsjackrmee

Routeledge on 12:38 - May 18 by jack247

He’s got no resale value, which pretty much all the others have. That would have to be taken into account if he’s offered a new deal.

That aside, he’d be likely be a key first team player, so would be entitled to expect a wage reflecting that. He’ll pick up a decent deal somewhere else if we don’t give him one.

No resale hence the 1 year deal.
I don't see how that would affect how much money they earn though?

Routeledge on 13:04 - May 18 with 1433 viewsjasper_T

Best case scenario we get a genuine 9 in this summer and Routledge would spend most of the season on the bench. Worth spending a fair chunk of Potter's wage budget in that case?

The McKay and Asoro deals, plus Dyer still on the books, limits what we have to work with in that area. Overstocked in forward areas even without Wayne, but still feel short without that genuine centre forward for Ollie and/or Celina to play off.
Routeledge on 14:00 - May 18 with 1317 viewsjack247

Routeledge on 12:49 - May 18 by jackrmee

No resale hence the 1 year deal.
I don't see how that would affect how much money they earn though?

Paying Dan James or Celina £x per week is an investment in a future transfer windfall as well as what they do week in week out. Routs hasn’t got that due to his age.
Routeledge on 14:06 - May 18 with 1302 viewsjack247

Routeledge on 13:04 - May 18 by jasper_T

Best case scenario we get a genuine 9 in this summer and Routledge would spend most of the season on the bench. Worth spending a fair chunk of Potter's wage budget in that case?

The McKay and Asoro deals, plus Dyer still on the books, limits what we have to work with in that area. Overstocked in forward areas even without Wayne, but still feel short without that genuine centre forward for Ollie and/or Celina to play off.

I’m not convinced Potter would play a genuine #9 if he had one
Routeledge on 14:08 - May 18 with 1295 viewsjasper_T

Routeledge on 14:06 - May 18 by jack247

I’m not convinced Potter would play a genuine #9 if he had one

The lack of one is the only reason CBR got near the team.
Routeledge on 14:31 - May 18 with 1259 viewsjack247

Routeledge on 14:08 - May 18 by jasper_T

The lack of one is the only reason CBR got near the team.

He hasn’t been near the team for a while. McBurnie could be told to curb his instincts to drop back/wide and would do a decent job as a centre forward, yes we’d lose him as a #10, but you can’t play him and Celina there. He’s more of a #9 than Routledge.

I think Potter prefers having a loose front 3 who can all swap positions. We’d be more rigid with a proper #9 in the side.
Routeledge on 14:48 - May 18 with 1223 viewsjasper_T

Routeledge on 14:31 - May 18 by jack247

He hasn’t been near the team for a while. McBurnie could be told to curb his instincts to drop back/wide and would do a decent job as a centre forward, yes we’d lose him as a #10, but you can’t play him and Celina there. He’s more of a #9 than Routledge.

I think Potter prefers having a loose front 3 who can all swap positions. We’d be more rigid with a proper #9 in the side.

You say that like McBurnie hasn't been asked to lead the line this season. He struggles with it, as he's slow and not strong enough to battle with big centre halves. Far better when played deeper so he can have time and space on the ball.

When I say a 9 I don't just mean a classic big lump of a centre forward. Players that run in behind and into channels are 9s as well, like Bamford, Roofe and Roberts at Leeds. Routledge is a better 9 than McBurnie in every aspect bar his finishing, which is why Potter preferred him there.

A second double-digit goalscorer up front would make a huge difference to us. We don't lack for chances created among our front 4 (and Connor), but conversion rates are poor (Celina's especially).
Routeledge on 14:54 - May 18 with 1207 viewsjack247

Routeledge on 14:48 - May 18 by jasper_T

You say that like McBurnie hasn't been asked to lead the line this season. He struggles with it, as he's slow and not strong enough to battle with big centre halves. Far better when played deeper so he can have time and space on the ball.

When I say a 9 I don't just mean a classic big lump of a centre forward. Players that run in behind and into channels are 9s as well, like Bamford, Roofe and Roberts at Leeds. Routledge is a better 9 than McBurnie in every aspect bar his finishing, which is why Potter preferred him there.

A second double-digit goalscorer up front would make a huge difference to us. We don't lack for chances created among our front 4 (and Connor), but conversion rates are poor (Celina's especially).

Right, fair enough. I thought you meant a traditional #9.
Routeledge on 15:14 - May 18 with 1170 viewsdobjack2

Don’t disagree about the right type of striker to play with Mcburnie, but that reopens the question of where do you play Celina?

In addition to the Celina question, assuming Dan leaves, we have Dyer, McKay and Asoro who can play wide although Roberts and even John at a push could play wide as well depending on our strength elsewhere. Are any U23’s ready to step up for a wide role?

I think Wayne still has plenty to offer for next season for the right wages. He may well get better offers elsewhere because our signings from last summer mean his role is not a top priority.
Routeledge on 15:30 - May 18 with 1114 viewsjasper_T

Routeledge on 15:14 - May 18 by dobjack2

Don’t disagree about the right type of striker to play with Mcburnie, but that reopens the question of where do you play Celina?

In addition to the Celina question, assuming Dan leaves, we have Dyer, McKay and Asoro who can play wide although Roberts and even John at a push could play wide as well depending on our strength elsewhere. Are any U23’s ready to step up for a wide role?

I think Wayne still has plenty to offer for next season for the right wages. He may well get better offers elsewhere because our signings from last summer mean his role is not a top priority.

I'm sure Potter's wondering where to play Celina as well. Didn't have much joy on the wing this season. McKay does better playing as a 10 as well. Don't rate Asoro as a winger. It's not the most balanced squad, and the spending last summer didn't really improve matters.

Could be wingbacks as plan A next season if DJ's gone.
Routeledge on 15:32 - May 18 with 1109 viewsjackrmee

No way we can afford to keep either of Celina or Oli on the bench though shirley? They both need to play or one needs to be sold.

Routeledge on 16:18 - May 18 with 1031 viewsdobjack2

Routeledge on 15:30 - May 18 by jasper_T

I'm sure Potter's wondering where to play Celina as well. Didn't have much joy on the wing this season. McKay does better playing as a 10 as well. Don't rate Asoro as a winger. It's not the most balanced squad, and the spending last summer didn't really improve matters.

Could be wingbacks as plan A next season if DJ's gone.

I think lack of balance is a big issue.

Apart from Dan and Dyer, all our “wingers” are better playing inside but don’t score enough goals when they are there. Which puts the pressure on Mcburnie.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we try 3 at the back and wingbacks for width. If we lose Dan and sign a striker then assuming we keep VDH Rodon and grimes we are probably a centre back light with harries/cabango as cover and have Byers, Fulton and Celina vying for 2 spots with Grimes. Which again seems light and unbalanced, especially away from home. Loan market seems the way to go.

If Potter and Macauley stay, hopefully they have a better idea of what the squad and division need compared to last summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024