Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jokanovic 18:02 - May 18 with 4183 viewsshandyjack

With the snake leaving, I’d go all out to bring this guy in

Poll: Expectation for the season

Jokanovic on 19:10 - May 18 with 1240 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Jokanovic on 19:08 - May 18 by jack247

There’s a fine balance between cutting the cloth sensibly and putting it through the shredder though.

Costs obviously have to come down significantly. Slashing them with very little regard to the football side of things is a false economy.

If these owners don’t have the desire or capacity to absorb relegation, they never should have been sold the club. I’d rather the trust have a reduced share in a club that’s worth something than 21% of a club that ends up going for a quid in a few years.

I agree. There has to be a middle way

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Jokanovic on 19:13 - May 18 with 1210 viewsmagicdaps10

There’s a fine balance between cutting the cloth sensibly and putting it through the shredder though.

Costs obviously have to come down significantly. Slashing them with very little regard to the football side of things is a false economy.

If these owners don’t have the desire or capacity to absorb relegation, they never should have been sold the club. I’d rather the trust have a reduced share in a club that’s worth something than 21% of a club that ends up going for a quid in a few years.

You are not going to get sense from nativity.

We all know what was needed but the January window was a clear cementing on what the yanks are all about but yet these people still think it is a must.

Quite frightening that these guys are grown men.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Jokanovic on 19:13 - May 18 with 1210 viewsAngelRangelQS

Totally agree that there’s a fine line.

However surely most people will be able to agree that our spending this summer should depend largely on what happens with our outgoings.

Little sense in scrimping on substandard players initially if we get big money for DJ and can get others off the books as perhaps we could spend more on better players.

Equally we can’t spend big if we end up having to keep Ayews and Baston
Jokanovic on 19:21 - May 18 with 1181 viewsWxmJax

Jokanovic on 18:49 - May 18 by krunchykarrot

What promises? could you explain please as all i can see is him bettering himself by going to the premiership when he's got the opportunity.

What would you do in the same situation ?
[Post edited 18 May 2019 19:23]

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Jokanovic on 19:25 - May 18 with 1164 viewsjack247

Jokanovic on 19:13 - May 18 by AngelRangelQS

Totally agree that there’s a fine line.

However surely most people will be able to agree that our spending this summer should depend largely on what happens with our outgoings.

Little sense in scrimping on substandard players initially if we get big money for DJ and can get others off the books as perhaps we could spend more on better players.

Equally we can’t spend big if we end up having to keep Ayews and Baston

Of course, there’s a balance. Too much either way could lead to disaster. I don’t think anyone sensible is advocating £10m players on £50k a week.

The Americans seem hell bent on slashing costs with very little regard for anything else. I can understand that, they are just speculators. If they think they can can get us to profitability and sell us on it makes sense from their point of view.

They (and more importantly, we) are facing the very real risk of the clubs value plummeting if they act the way most of us expect them to this season.
Jokanovic on 19:26 - May 18 with 1155 viewsBadlands

Jokanovic on 18:48 - May 18 by Dr_Winston

A lot of our ills are down to the owners. Need to be clear on that too. They indulged Jenkins for far too long when he probably should have gone as soon as the takeover was complete.

But I have to admit, given the financial deficit we're facing the current relentless drive to criticise them for taking the only realistic course of action open to them other than loading the club with debt or diluting the Trust's shareholding baffles me.

As for Potter, I'll echo what I said the other day. He's done a good job for us. I don't think he's done an amazing one, but good. Suspect Brighton won't be an easy job.

A lot of our ills are down to the owners.
Such as?
Keeping Jenkins was seen as continuation and keeping close to the community.

I will never forgive Potter for leaving - he kew exactly what the situation was and was gong to be.
But he did exorcise the ghost of Monk and give youngsters the belief to progress.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Jokanovic on 19:34 - May 18 with 1116 viewsjasper_T

Jokanovic on 19:25 - May 18 by jack247

Of course, there’s a balance. Too much either way could lead to disaster. I don’t think anyone sensible is advocating £10m players on £50k a week.

The Americans seem hell bent on slashing costs with very little regard for anything else. I can understand that, they are just speculators. If they think they can can get us to profitability and sell us on it makes sense from their point of view.

They (and more importantly, we) are facing the very real risk of the clubs value plummeting if they act the way most of us expect them to this season.

The only transfer decision I've really disagreed with so far was selling DJ to Leeds. Turned down (or scared off) offers for McBurnie and van der Hoorn. New contracts for Rodon, Roberts and Grimes. Keeping Cat One status the opposite of hell bent slashing of costs.

We were what, £12m in arrears on previous seasons comings and goings at the start of last summer according to the accounts? With income down £60m this season, and another £10m next. Failed to get expected fees for half the outgoing PL failures (like the £8m Fulham put on the table for Jordan Ayew...).

The club's value has already plummeted, that's not the "very real risk". Should cast a glance Bolton's way instead.
Jokanovic on 19:35 - May 18 with 1091 viewsDippy

Jokanovic on 19:26 - May 18 by Badlands

Such as?

I will never forgive Potter for leaving - he kew exactly what the situation was and was gong to be.
But he did exorcise the ghost of Monk and give youngsters the belief to progress.

God, you're a one dimensional drone. Our ills are down to a megalomaniac spending money on mercenary journeyman. You can't accept it, because you're up the previous owners a*se hole

Poll: Cooper Out

Login to get fewer ads

Jokanovic on 19:43 - May 18 with 1082 viewsmagicdaps10

Jokanovic on 19:26 - May 18 by Badlands

Such as?

So how do you know what Potter was promised last summer.

Think about the Ryan Woods situation, have a good think on it all.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Jokanovic on 20:04 - May 18 with 1025 viewsjack247

Jokanovic on 19:34 - May 18 by jasper_T

The only transfer decision I've really disagreed with so far was selling DJ to Leeds. Turned down (or scared off) offers for McBurnie and van der Hoorn. New contracts for Rodon, Roberts and Grimes. Keeping Cat One status the opposite of hell bent slashing of costs.

We were what, £12m in arrears on previous seasons comings and goings at the start of last summer according to the accounts? With income down £60m this season, and another £10m next. Failed to get expected fees for half the outgoing PL failures (like the £8m Fulham put on the table for Jordan Ayew...).

The club's value has already plummeted, that's not the "very real risk". Should cast a glance Bolton's way instead.

They wouldn’t have turned down any serious offer for VdH or McBurnie. The fact they’d let James go for £1m loan whilst not on big wages should tell you that.

Of course it’s value has plummeted. Last PL debacle of a season ensured that. It will drop further if they sell off the silver on the cheap.

Still, we lose our manager because we can’t promise not to ravage his squad this summer and we go again
Jokanovic on 20:18 - May 18 with 984 viewsAngelRangelQS

Jokanovic on 20:04 - May 18 by jack247

They wouldn’t have turned down any serious offer for VdH or McBurnie. The fact they’d let James go for £1m loan whilst not on big wages should tell you that.

Of course it’s value has plummeted. Last PL debacle of a season ensured that. It will drop further if they sell off the silver on the cheap.

Still, we lose our manager because we can’t promise not to ravage his squad this summer and we go again

So either they’ve f*cked Potter over by breaking promises or they’ve been unable to give him assurances... can’t really be both can it.
Jokanovic on 20:21 - May 18 with 970 viewsjasper_T

Jokanovic on 20:04 - May 18 by jack247

We lost our manager because Brighton are a Premier League club.
Jokanovic on 20:32 - May 18 with 895 viewsjack247

Jokanovic on 20:18 - May 18 by AngelRangelQS

So either they’ve f*cked Potter over by breaking promises or they’ve been unable to give him assurances... can’t really be both can it.

I’m not sure what you’re reading there. I haven’t mentioned anything about breaking promises.

They are unable to give him assurances due to the shambolic way they ran the club whilst in the PL and the financial fall out from that.
Jokanovic on 20:35 - May 18 with 870 viewsdobjack2

Jokanovic on 20:21 - May 18 by jasper_T

Opportunities like this don’t come around often and if it was the type of challenge he wanted he would be a fool not to take it. He may never have that chance again and could spend his time regretting not taking the chance. El Judas all over again I’m afraid.

At least birch is also a football man, maybe grasping at straws on this one, however if as seems almost certain Potter does go we need to make a decision on the new man fairly soon to steady things otherwise players and their agents will be busy.
Jokanovic on 20:40 - May 18 with 837 viewsAngelRangelQS

Jokanovic on 20:32 - May 18 by jack247

I’m not sure what you’re reading there. I haven’t mentioned anything about breaking promises.

They are unable to give him assurances due to the shambolic way they ran the club whilst in the PL and the financial fall out from that.

It wasn’t aimed at you directly.

I was just pointing out the contradiction in some people’s views
Jokanovic on 20:44 - May 18 with 821 viewsPrivate_Partz

Jokanovic on 20:21 - May 18 by jasper_T

Nothing to do with no support from the Yanks then? Don't forget he would have been bulled by Jenkins about the owners, next level and taking the hit of relegation. In truth we left him with u23s at the start as we failed to strengthen sufficiently. . Then weakened the side in January where even the self serving Jenkins fell on his sword as we almost gave players to rivals. It needn't have taken a King's ransom to support him either.
He obviously had little reassurance for next season either.
Don't blame him at all.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Jokanovic on 20:54 - May 18 with 773 viewsjackrabbit

I love these jaundiced matter-of-fact condemnations. Potter would have been a fool not to accept an offer to manage a Premier League club. What did he have to look forward to here? Another season conjuring miracles from a threadbare, lightweight team without any necessary funds forthcoming to strengthen where required.

I can imagine he'll be back for Van der Hoorn, and Celina if not James, so the pain ain't over yet. It won't be, until the current owners have finished their pillaging and departed the scene.
Sad times.
Jokanovic on 21:04 - May 18 with 722 viewsQJumpingJack

I expect a contributing factor is what Levien, Kaplan, Pearlman, Jenkins and Birch have promised Potter over the last 12 months.
If they have failed to deliver what was promised then one cannot blame Potter to jump - at the first opportunity.
Jokanovic on 21:11 - May 18 with 688 viewsBytholWyn

Devastating. The money and the chance to manage in the PL were obvious factors for Potter - but if they were the main considerations it wouldn't have taken so long for him to go. My best guess is that he wanted to give the owners the chance to convince him that things would be done differently going forwards, but in spite of the improved contract on offer, he clearly didn't trust the owners, or they failed to properly address his concerns - or a mixture of both.

In spite of Huw's many failings he did have a nose for a manager. Without his input I can't see us make a proper appointment. With a Director of Football such as Stuart Webber we'd have a good chance of overcoming this blow, but there's nothing in Birch's record to suggest he has an eye for a manager suited to the possession game, and the less said about the American's judgement the better.

Truly depressing times. I can see James, VDH, Grimes, Roberts and McBurnie looking for moves out. Might clear the debts - but will leave the cupboard completely bare, with no on-going identity.

One other thing that hacks me off. What have we done to have so many of our managers headhunted, Rodgers to Liverpool after two seasons, Potter after one, when the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth have somehow managed to hang onto there's for season after season, with all the benefits that continuity has brought those clubs. What have we done to deserve such lousy luck?

It also pisses me off big time to see clubs with sugar daddys on vanity projects, such as Brighton, with no hope of getting their investment back, screwing up the finances for clubs that operate on normal business principles.
Jokanovic on 21:21 - May 18 with 649 viewsjasper_T

Jokanovic on 20:44 - May 18 by Private_Partz

Nothing to do with no support from the Yanks then? Don't forget he would have been bulled by Jenkins about the owners, next level and taking the hit of relegation. In truth we left him with u23s at the start as we failed to strengthen sufficiently. . Then weakened the side in January where even the self serving Jenkins fell on his sword as we almost gave players to rivals. It needn't have taken a King's ransom to support him either.
He obviously had little reassurance for next season either.
Don't blame him at all.

I think at the end of the day the PL would be very hard to turn down regardless of our situation or promises we might offer.

Our u23s were very good and we didn't lose anyone of worth in January, as results since then surely show.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024