Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees 23:20 - May 21 with 6644 viewsvalleyboy

Now asking Leon Britton to advise him

What next
Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 18:53 - May 24 with 704 viewsBadlands

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 18:46 - May 24 by tylagarwjack

My only concern with Birch is his supposed uncertainty over the owners’ “end game”. That really doesn’t add up IMO.

He is clearly an intelligent man, and surely he would have asked this question when negotiating re taking over the chairman’s role, so his supposed uncertainty means he either 1) didn’t ask the question (which I think is unlikely), 2) did ask but didn’t get a clear answer, which is possible, but I would expect someone like Birch to be given a crystal clear brief as a condition of taking the job (let’s face it he probably wouldn’t be destitute if he didn’t take a job with us) or 3) and the most likely one, is that he was told and doesn’t feel like he can state publicly what that is.

If the answer is number 3 then we can take everything else he has said with a pinch of salt.

Obviously time will tell, the state of the squad at the start of the season will be telling though I do appreciate trying to shift the Ayews, Baston, Montero and Carroll off the wage bill permanently is no easy task and so not fully within Birch’s control.

Why would he know their 'end game'?
He's been given a job to do and he's getting on with.
We seem to be living in society where everyone expects to know the minute details of everyone else' business - refreshing to hear Birch flip the question with moe or, 'It's none of my business.'

And the problem with any answer he had given would be twisted, pulled apart and /or disbelieved.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 19:08 - May 24 with 684 viewstylagarwjack

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 18:53 - May 24 by Badlands

Why would he know their 'end game'?
He's been given a job to do and he's getting on with.
We seem to be living in society where everyone expects to know the minute details of everyone else' business - refreshing to hear Birch flip the question with moe or, 'It's none of my business.'

And the problem with any answer he had given would be twisted, pulled apart and /or disbelieved.

We’re not talking about someone taking a job in McDonalds.

This is a big hitting businessman taking day to day control of a multi million pound business. He has been given a job to do yes, but surely what the owners want has to govern how he does his job and he must have discussed their requirements and objectives before accepting the job, and in fact would have had to.

Surely the brief “get us back to the premier league” would mean he does his job very differently to the brief “we want our money back, asset strip and sell anything you can”?
Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees (n/t) on 19:58 - May 24 with 617 viewsTNT

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees (n/t) on 14:05 - May 24 by valleyboy

Well is that a genuine excuse not to turn up to support Swansea in those days

It wasn’t as if Struel had sold the fans down the river like what’s happened now

Average attendance in the first year in the top Division was 18.23k

Second year was a dismal 11.68 average.

You say that Toshack had been approached by Liverpool

I doubt that, irrespective what Boesma will tell you

Firstly an approach would be illegal and I doubt that a Club like Liverpool would do such a thing

Anyway

Why should Bob Paisley give up the managers job after a couple of years in the job and especially with him doing so well at Liverpool

Bonkers

Signing off with your proper name, fair play.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 19:58 - May 24 with 613 viewsjasper_T

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 19:08 - May 24 by tylagarwjack

This is a big hitting businessman taking day to day control of a multi million pound business. He has been given a job to do yes, but surely what the owners want has to govern how he does his job and he must have discussed their requirements and objectives before accepting the job, and in fact would have had to.

Surely the brief “get us back to the premier league” would mean he does his job very differently to the brief “we want our money back, asset strip and sell anything you can”?

He's been told what they want him to do. Seems very clear on what his objectives are.

He hasn't been told what they might want to do at some unspecified time in the future i.e. their "end game". Why they want us to be successful and running within our means is a mystery to him, but why would it matter? He's got his brief.
Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 20:38 - May 24 with 553 viewstylagarwjack

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 19:58 - May 24 by jasper_T

He's been told what they want him to do. Seems very clear on what his objectives are.

He hasn't been told what they might want to do at some unspecified time in the future i.e. their "end game". Why they want us to be successful and running within our means is a mystery to him, but why would it matter? He's got his brief.

He is quoted as saying that his brief is to “fix” the cashflow problem at the club, and anyone can see that that is the problem (as we had a negative net current assets of nearly £40m in the last published accounts along with a cash at bank balance of less than £500k) rather than a simple case of profit and loss.

Hopefully the cashflow problem will be sorted by player sales and removing higher earners from the wage bill, unfortunately the parachute payments seem to come relatively late in the day which is defeating the object of their purpose if so.

The question is what is Birch’s brief after he has fixed the cashflow problem? He doesn’t seem to know, does that mean he doesn’t know if he’s going to be here beyond mid August or not? His statements don’t suggest so but to me the lack of apparent clarity of how Birch sees the club’s future and by extension his brief should be alarming, to him, but moreso to us as fans.
[Post edited 24 May 2019 21:07]
Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 21:07 - May 24 with 517 viewsjasper_T

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 20:38 - May 24 by tylagarwjack

He is quoted as saying that his brief is to “fix” the cashflow problem at the club, and anyone can see that that is the problem (as we had a negative net current assets of nearly £40m in the last published accounts along with a cash at bank balance of less than £500k) rather than a simple case of profit and loss.

Hopefully the cashflow problem will be sorted by player sales and removing higher earners from the wage bill, unfortunately the parachute payments seem to come relatively late in the day which is defeating the object of their purpose if so.

The question is what is Birch’s brief after he has fixed the cashflow problem? He doesn’t seem to know, does that mean he doesn’t know if he’s going to be here beyond mid August or not? His statements don’t suggest so but to me the lack of apparent clarity of how Birch sees the club’s future and by extension his brief should be alarming, to him, but moreso to us as fans.

Not really. He seems to have more than enough clarity to do his job.

Our cashflow problem has been an ongoing thing for years, steadily getting worse and worse even before relegation hit. It's not likely fixable in one window, just as it wasn't immediately fixable last summer.
Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 21:16 - May 24 with 498 viewsLeonWasGod

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 20:38 - May 24 by tylagarwjack

I think that’s a sensible question, because we really need someone who knows what they’re doing to provide direction, particularly on the footballing side. I don’t believe the owners have the knowledge or time to do so.
Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 21:19 - May 24 with 489 viewstylagarwjack

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 21:07 - May 24 by jasper_T

Not really. He seems to have more than enough clarity to do his job.

Our cashflow problem has been an ongoing thing for years, steadily getting worse and worse even before relegation hit. It's not likely fixable in one window, just as it wasn't immediately fixable last summer.

Yes really, if it gets any worse than the last accounts (you do realise the accounts showed that showed we had to pay around £40m more to creditors in the next year than we were due to receive from debtors) then we could be going down the Bolton route.

So you’re fine with the lack of clarity over whether our chairman knows how he’s supposed to run the club. That is staggering from him (if true) and more staggering from fans who are fine with that lack of clarity.

So you’re in the Birch and the Americans we trust camp already are you?
Login to get fewer ads

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 22:43 - May 24 with 423 viewsjasper_T

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 21:19 - May 24 by tylagarwjack

Yes really, if it gets any worse than the last accounts (you do realise the accounts showed that showed we had to pay around £40m more to creditors in the next year than we were due to receive from debtors) then we could be going down the Bolton route.

So you’re fine with the lack of clarity over whether our chairman knows how he’s supposed to run the club. That is staggering from him (if true) and more staggering from fans who are fine with that lack of clarity.

So you’re in the Birch and the Americans we trust camp already are you?

I think Birch is very aware of our accounts, and has said more than once his brief is to sort out the legacy contracts and get us on an even keel again. There's no lack of clarity on this issue.

Birch doesn't know what happens once the club is sustainable/operating within its means again, but that doesn't and shouldn't effect how he's going to act to get it there.
Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 23:05 - May 24 with 402 viewsDr_Winston

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 19:08 - May 24 by tylagarwjack

Not really no.

This "asset stripping" nonsense is tedious to the extreme. What assets do people think there are to strip? The club is dangerously over extended. Birch's #1 priority is balancing outgoings with incomings. Nothing else matters more.

The first priority is to get the finances under control. Both alternate end games stem from that. Once that's done we may learn more. Ultimately the Americans will gain more from selling a PL club so it's not unlikely that returning us there is the preferred option.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 01:43 - May 25 with 340 viewsNotLoyal

Thought Trevor Birch was the bees knees on 23:05 - May 24 by Dr_Winston

Not really no.

This "asset stripping" nonsense is tedious to the extreme. What assets do people think there are to strip? The club is dangerously over extended. Birch's #1 priority is balancing outgoings with incomings. Nothing else matters more.

The first priority is to get the finances under control. Both alternate end games stem from that. Once that's done we may learn more. Ultimately the Americans will gain more from selling a PL club so it's not unlikely that returning us there is the preferred option.

This post has been edited by an administrator

When I see it with my own eyes in black and white I'll believe it.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024