Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
China needs to play its part 10:13 - May 23 with 2719 viewsdickythorpe

All this bunkum in the UK about switching to "bags for life", "paper straws" (trees are alright now then?)

We are a population of 65 million, whilst they dwarf us, so what chance have we got?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48353341
China needs to play its part on 10:16 - May 23 with 1484 viewsbluey_the_blue

China provide around 28% of co2 emissions, I read, UK 1%.

We're apparently the bad guys.
China needs to play its part on 10:26 - May 23 with 1467 viewsGB11

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/world/china-recyclables-ban.html
China needs to play its part on 10:40 - May 23 with 1445 viewsUxbridge

It's pretty tragic it's 2019 and there are still people who think climate change isn't real, plastic isn't having a massive impact on our environment and that, as a species, we need to get our collective acts together on this.

Wittering on about the futility of the UK doing anything just because some bigger countries are bigger offenders is utterly pointless. This country should be leading the argument. We have all the natural resources around us to be self-sufficient and carbon neutral if we had the will to do it. Sadly, as we've seen with the Tidal Lagoon proof of concept, there simply isn't the will so will tinker around the edges instead.

Leaving the EU is hardly going to help that either. While we can improve, the UK was actually a leader within Europe in that regard. As we pull up the drawbridge, not only will our own influence reduce, so will the focus elsewhere.

It's a bit pointless looking at bald statistics comparing China to the UK without also factoring in that their population is 20 times as big as ours. They've been the dumping ground for the West's problems as well, which is a factor in any analysis you do between the two. They've actually made good progress in areas such as clean air etc, but obviously more needs to be done.

Absolutely a global issue and needs everyone to work together for our mutual benefit. Sadly there's not a lot of that going around these days.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

China needs to play its part on 10:55 - May 23 with 1427 viewsbluey_the_blue

Well, clearly the point in that "climate change" is and always has been a dumb phrase, much like "global warming" ( no longer used ) was.

The planet has been around for millions of years, of course the climate changes. Always has, always will. Our understanding is based on just over 150 years of recorded temperatures, an insignificant sample compared to the life of the planet.

Having said that, everybody needs to play a part in what scientists believe will help ( and if those scientists turn out to be wrong, well... ). UK in particular have been made out to be evil offenders according to some; we can go to 0% and it'll do fvck all unless China, India et al make similar progress.

I can get the point Greta's parents aren't going to get her to go to China as being squished under a tank isn't that environmentally friendly...
China needs to play its part on 11:12 - May 23 with 1407 viewsBatterseajack

China needs to play its part on 10:55 - May 23 by bluey_the_blue

Well, clearly the point in that "climate change" is and always has been a dumb phrase, much like "global warming" ( no longer used ) was.

The planet has been around for millions of years, of course the climate changes. Always has, always will. Our understanding is based on just over 150 years of recorded temperatures, an insignificant sample compared to the life of the planet.

Having said that, everybody needs to play a part in what scientists believe will help ( and if those scientists turn out to be wrong, well... ). UK in particular have been made out to be evil offenders according to some; we can go to 0% and it'll do fvck all unless China, India et al make similar progress.

I can get the point Greta's parents aren't going to get her to go to China as being squished under a tank isn't that environmentally friendly...

We have more than 150 years with of climate data to go from. And yes, whilst the climate has always hanged, it has never changed as quickly as it is doing since the Industrial Age. But we are poised for another mass extinction event. The earth has seen many of these, and It will recover with or without us.

As developed nations who have benefited from industrialisation, if we can’t clean our act up, how can we persuade those who are going through that right now?
China needs to play its part on 11:18 - May 23 with 1402 viewssg1912

90% of plastic in the ocean comes from 10 rivers across Africa and Asia.
China needs to play its part on 11:18 - May 23 with 1401 viewsUxbridge

China needs to play its part on 10:55 - May 23 by bluey_the_blue

Not sure it's not a good look having a pop at a 16 year old girl with Aspergers who has done a fair bit to highlight an issue that is all too often brushed under the carpet. She's got kids motivated on something, which is no mean achievement. My ten year old daughter is properly passionate about it, which is something that's usually restricted to her tablet. Good on her. I wouldn't fancy a month long train ride to Beijing either mind (actually, that's not true, it'd be ace).

The UK could do a lot more, I think that's the point. I don't know the breakdown per capita, I doubt the difference is as massively pronounced then, but I totally agree it'll be ineffective if done unilaterally. Not to say we shouldn't do it regardless though, and lead the argument globally. We don't really do that these days unfortunately. Shame really, even on a purely economic basis there's obvious benefits to being the world leader in green tech.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

China needs to play its part on 11:20 - May 23 with 1392 viewsBatterseajack

China needs to play its part on 11:18 - May 23 by sg1912

90% of plastic in the ocean comes from 10 rivers across Africa and Asia.

So let’s do nothing then
Login to get fewer ads

China needs to play its part on 11:25 - May 23 with 1383 viewsbluey_the_blue

China needs to play its part on 11:18 - May 23 by Uxbridge

Not sure it's not a good look having a pop at a 16 year old girl with Aspergers who has done a fair bit to highlight an issue that is all too often brushed under the carpet. She's got kids motivated on something, which is no mean achievement. My ten year old daughter is properly passionate about it, which is something that's usually restricted to her tablet. Good on her. I wouldn't fancy a month long train ride to Beijing either mind (actually, that's not true, it'd be ace).

The UK could do a lot more, I think that's the point. I don't know the breakdown per capita, I doubt the difference is as massively pronounced then, but I totally agree it'll be ineffective if done unilaterally. Not to say we shouldn't do it regardless though, and lead the argument globally. We don't really do that these days unfortunately. Shame really, even on a purely economic basis there's obvious benefits to being the world leader in green tech.

Not having a pop at Greta. I've little doubt her views stem from her parents, especially her mum; after all, the fact she has Aspergers is a good PR look for the family.

When I briefly worked at Met Office, you get the induction day - told "the science is solved". That for me is *always* a dangerous approach to take. There remains a chance. however incredibly minor, that the approach taken could well be wrong. After all, we were told to switch to diesel cars as better for environment at one point.
China needs to play its part on 11:25 - May 23 with 1380 viewssg1912

China needs to play its part on 11:20 - May 23 by Batterseajack

So let’s do nothing then

Maybe we can fly in a private jet to LA , throw litter over the streets, stop people using public transport and block traffic.

That’ll teach em.
China needs to play its part on 11:29 - May 23 with 1371 viewsBatterseajack

China needs to play its part on 11:25 - May 23 by sg1912

Maybe we can fly in a private jet to LA , throw litter over the streets, stop people using public transport and block traffic.

That’ll teach em.

No solutions then. A surprise.
China needs to play its part on 11:40 - May 23 with 1359 viewsVincent_Vega

Thing is as said previously we need to lead the way as a nation.

We led the way in the industrial revolution and the UK did pretty well out of it and we can do it again with renewables and the like.

Yes the UK and indeed Europe are drops in the ocean compared to China, India and the US in terms of carbon footprints and plastic waste but they will wake up one day and hopefully they'll look at us for the answers.

Hopefully it won't be too late for us because be under no illusion it's US that needs saving not the planet. Earth has been here long before us, suffered many a worse impact and will last long after Humans are gone.

When in Iceland last year and spoke to people from South Africa, USA, Australia, Japan and the locals and there's a general agreement that whatever it's called Climate change, Global warming or greenhouse effect somethings happening to our climate and it's not going to end well.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

China needs to play its part on 12:22 - May 23 with 1322 viewsexiledclaseboy

China needs to play its part on 11:25 - May 23 by bluey_the_blue

Not having a pop at Greta. I've little doubt her views stem from her parents, especially her mum; after all, the fact she has Aspergers is a good PR look for the family.

When I briefly worked at Met Office, you get the induction day - told "the science is solved". That for me is *always* a dangerous approach to take. There remains a chance. however incredibly minor, that the approach taken could well be wrong. After all, we were told to switch to diesel cars as better for environment at one point.

“Not having a pop at Greta. I've little doubt her views stem from her parents, especially her mum; after all, the fact she has Aspergers is a good PR look for the family.”

Stay classy there, Bluey.

Poll: Tory leader

China needs to play its part on 12:42 - May 23 with 1297 viewslondonlisa2001

China needs to play its part on 10:16 - May 23 by bluey_the_blue

China provide around 28% of co2 emissions, I read, UK 1%.

We're apparently the bad guys.

Don’t be so stupid Bluey.

If we in the West mass consume product the manufacture of which causes emissions but we import it from China because we get it cheaper that way, it’s still us that’s causing the emissions not them. The stats don’t show the story but surely people understand that?
China needs to play its part on 12:43 - May 23 with 1296 viewslondonlisa2001

Jesus.
China needs to play its part on 13:07 - May 23 with 1265 viewsLohengrin

China needs to play its part on 12:22 - May 23 by exiledclaseboy

“Not having a pop at Greta. I've little doubt her views stem from her parents, especially her mum; after all, the fact she has Aspergers is a good PR look for the family.”

I think the fact that she has Asperger Syndrome is fascinating. That tells me that unlike almost all of us she is capable of holding hard down on the issue she is advancing and remain unmoved by distraction. It’s difficult to estimate the power implicit in that mindset.

She is one of a handful of people in public life throwing, in Mencken’s phrase, “dead cats into sanctuaries.” That’s to say she’s unafraid of reaction. These are the people who force the pace, make the weather. They make things happen.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

China needs to play its part on 13:47 - May 23 with 1231 viewsbluey_the_blue

China needs to play its part on 13:07 - May 23 by Lohengrin

I think the fact that she has Asperger Syndrome is fascinating. That tells me that unlike almost all of us she is capable of holding hard down on the issue she is advancing and remain unmoved by distraction. It’s difficult to estimate the power implicit in that mindset.

She is one of a handful of people in public life throwing, in Mencken’s phrase, “dead cats into sanctuaries.” That’s to say she’s unafraid of reaction. These are the people who force the pace, make the weather. They make things happen.

I don't disagree, Loh, I believe she's incredibly sincere and cares. I'm well aware of Aspergers.

I also believe her views have stemmed for the most part from her parents, certainly in the initial stages and that cynical or not, the messages resonates on an emotional basis more from Greta based upon her circumstances than from her parents.
China needs to play its part on 14:18 - May 23 with 1208 viewssg1912

China needs to play its part on 11:29 - May 23 by Batterseajack

No solutions then. A surprise.

I’m not the one complaining.
China needs to play its part on 15:02 - May 23 with 1180 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Good post, there is hardly any point unless the big boys play their part, but they won't will they!!!
China needs to play its part on 20:53 - May 23 with 1094 viewscontroversial_jack

China needs to play its part on 11:12 - May 23 by Batterseajack

We have more than 150 years with of climate data to go from. And yes, whilst the climate has always hanged, it has never changed as quickly as it is doing since the Industrial Age. But we are poised for another mass extinction event. The earth has seen many of these, and It will recover with or without us.

As developed nations who have benefited from industrialisation, if we can’t clean our act up, how can we persuade those who are going through that right now?

Yes it has, and 150 years is nothing at all
China needs to play its part on 20:55 - May 23 with 1090 viewscontroversial_jack

They tell us the science is settled, which is b*llocks, yet cannot give us any details or any proof except for some predictions.Hardly science is it?
China needs to play its part on 20:59 - May 23 with 1084 viewsBillyChong

China needs to play its part on 20:53 - May 23 by controversial_jack

Yes it has, and 150 years is nothing at all

People drive needlessly big cars around town/city centres then share posts about saving the planet online.
China needs to play its part on 21:03 - May 23 with 1082 viewsdickythorpe

China needs to play its part on 20:59 - May 23 by BillyChong

People drive needlessly big cars around town/city centres then share posts about saving the planet online.

And God help them for not buying plastic while they jet off all over the world.
China needs to play its part on 21:10 - May 23 with 1073 viewsJackSomething

China needs to play its part on 12:22 - May 23 by exiledclaseboy

So that's Greta on the list with Chris Coleman and Jamie Oliver. Growing fast.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

China needs to play its part on 21:17 - May 23 with 1062 viewsJackarmy777

China needs to play its part on 11:12 - May 23 by Batterseajack

Since the “industrial revolution” 😂 That is nothing more than a blink off an eye, in evolutionary terms. What caused the last ice age ? Definitely wasn’t humans. The so-called global warming is just a con. Yes the planet warms up and cools down all the time and what we see now is just another cycle.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024