Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who’s collected cockles? 20:44 - May 23 with 1895 viewslonglostjack

Watching that 1900 Island programme. Cockles in a bag with vinegar from the market on a Saturday - memories. They’ve got those little plastic containers there now though - not quite the same. Anyway has anybody here actually been cockling ? Must admit I haven’t.

Edit: cue Loyal
[Post edited 23 May 2019 20:46]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Who’s collected cockles? on 09:22 - May 24 with 671 viewsjackrmee

Who’s collected cockles? on 21:53 - May 23 by dickythorpe

I think it's 3. Prices used to be over £100 a bag years ago so it was lucrative.
But I was told a bag , roughly 10 kilos was less than £20 now.

They are paying 30-60p a kilo these days locally, depending on size. Only Selwyn's is open now as a buyer.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Who’s collected cockles? on 13:22 - May 24 with 621 viewsWxmJax

Didn't anyone else pick them from West Cross by the army place ? Probably not the best idea when your feet sunk a few inches through the crap before they hit firm ground. Feel for them with your feet on an incoming tide, job done. Used to try and sell them cooked at 5 or 10p a cup around the houses. Don't think we sold many, if any. It was quite posh in those days, John Mahoney lived there.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Who’s collected cockles? on 15:45 - May 24 with 586 viewsGlyn1

Who’s collected cockles? on 09:20 - May 24 by jackrmee

Not allowed. It's very strictly policed by the fisheries and much of the stock has to be left for the birds to eat. Ridiculous really, as hundreds of tonnes die every year which could have been harvested.

What's ridiculous about leaving cockles for the birds to eat, and not taking immature cockles?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Who’s collected cockles? on 10:44 - May 25 with 508 viewsjackrmee

Who’s collected cockles? on 15:45 - May 24 by Glyn1

What's ridiculous about leaving cockles for the birds to eat, and not taking immature cockles?

I think it's just an excuse the fisheries use. Literally hundreds of tonnes of cockles die on those beds every season. Birds don't eat rotten shellfish.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Who’s collected cockles? on 11:50 - May 25 with 498 viewsCooperman

The summer of ‘cockle wars’ in the early 90’s provided me with sufficient beer and petrol money with a little bit left over for student life.

I also had the best arse crack sun tan ever seen.

The ultimate accolade though was being seen on a HTV Wales news clip chasing Scouse gypo’s off of Ferryside beach.

These days I am resigned to simply eating them - a dash of pepper, a glug of vinegar and a large glass of chilled Rare Vineyards Marsanne Viognier.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Who’s collected cockles? on 12:34 - May 25 with 483 viewsdickythorpe

Who’s collected cockles? on 11:50 - May 25 by Cooperman

The summer of ‘cockle wars’ in the early 90’s provided me with sufficient beer and petrol money with a little bit left over for student life.

The ultimate accolade though was being seen on a HTV Wales news clip chasing Scouse gypo’s off of Ferryside beach.

These days I am resigned to simply eating them - a dash of pepper, a glug of vinegar and a large glass of chilled Rare Vineyards Marsanne Viognier.

You must know "Jacko" very well then Coops?

He place boulders on the roads into the village
[Post edited 25 May 2019 12:35]
Who’s collected cockles? on 14:29 - May 25 with 444 viewsCooperman

Who’s collected cockles? on 12:34 - May 25 by dickythorpe

You must know "Jacko" very well then Coops?

He place boulders on the roads into the village
[Post edited 25 May 2019 12:35]

I certainly remember the blockades.

Who’s collected cockles? on 16:51 - May 28 with 347 viewscontroversial_jack

Who’s collected cockles? on 11:50 - May 25 by Cooperman

I spoke with a woman who lived at Ferryside during the so called cockle wars.She said one time, a load of scousers came to muscle in on the picking.They looked a right handful by all accounts. Apparently, one guy was enormous and didn't look the kind of guy to mess with.The next day he was on his way to hospital and they weren't seen at Ferryside again
Login to get fewer ads

Who’s collected cockles? on 17:37 - May 28 with 335 viewsCooperman

Who’s collected cockles? on 16:51 - May 28 by controversial_jack

I spoke with a woman who lived at Ferryside during the so called cockle wars.She said one time, a load of scousers came to muscle in on the picking.They looked a right handful by all accounts. Apparently, one guy was enormous and didn't look the kind of guy to mess with.The next day he was on his way to hospital and they weren't seen at Ferryside again

They also left minus an old clapped out Defender 90 Land Rover.

Who’s collected cockles? on 19:11 - May 28 with 321 viewsdickythorpe

Who’s collected cockles? on 16:51 - May 28 by controversial_jack

It's not the Wild West down here for fúck all. No reputation or size is taken notice of.
A bit like Swansea and I love us for that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024