Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Borja Baston 21:30 - May 23 with 19389 viewsJacket

He's announced his departure from Alaves then.

https://www.gasteizhoy.com/borja-baston-alaves/
Borja Baston on 11:22 - May 24 with 2510 viewswaynekerr55

Borja Baston on 08:00 - May 24 by WarwickHunt

We were the only club in the PL to allow a pub team
goalkeeper with an ego the size of Finland to appoint himself as DoF.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Borja Baston on 11:24 - May 24 with 2504 viewsJacket

Borja Baston on 10:58 - May 24 by Neath_Jack

You have no idea who's signings any of them were.

You are of course allowed your opinion / assumptions, but it doesn't make them to be true.

I can't be 100% no, but there's certainly circumstantial evidence to suggest I could be right due to Guidolin's contacts in Italy and Clement's Bayern links and the fact Bony and Ayew were rose tinted retrospective signings and Baston was signed without research just because he was one of La Liga's top scorers and surplus to requirements at Atleti, the kind of lazy signing a man who's a builder's merchant masquerading as a DofF would make.
Borja Baston on 11:33 - May 24 with 2482 viewsNeath_Jack

Borja Baston on 11:24 - May 24 by Jacket

I can't be 100% no, but there's certainly circumstantial evidence to suggest I could be right due to Guidolin's contacts in Italy and Clement's Bayern links and the fact Bony and Ayew were rose tinted retrospective signings and Baston was signed without research just because he was one of La Liga's top scorers and surplus to requirements at Atleti, the kind of lazy signing a man who's a builder's merchant masquerading as a DofF would make.

Hindsight is King.

And before you regale me with how you were against all the shite signings before they happened, there were plenty on here who were very happy with all those signings too.

If buying players were an exact science then all teams would be doing it.

The biggest thing that went wrong was we chased the premier league dream and moved away from our tried and tested formula of buying players that fitted into the way we played. But to try and ensure success, and nearly all clubs are guilty of doing it, we went for the big named players. And please don't try and tell me that the managers (all of them) wouldn't want to buy established players for big money. It's natural, we'd all do it in those circumstances.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Borja Baston on 11:52 - May 24 with 2437 viewsdobjack2

Borja Baston on 11:13 - May 24 by Neath_Jack

Baston had a decent scoring record in the two previous years prior to us signing him.

2014—2015 - 22
2015—2016 - 18

Whereas Paloschi scored 8 & 9 goals for the same period.

Agreed his stats looked good.

Did anyone with football knowledge scout him in the flesh to see if he was likely to be able to play as a lone striker in the Premiership? Did anyone look at his background etc. To see if he was likely to settle?
Borja Baston on 11:52 - May 24 with 2437 viewsJacket

Borja Baston on 11:33 - May 24 by Neath_Jack

Hindsight is King.

And before you regale me with how you were against all the shite signings before they happened, there were plenty on here who were very happy with all those signings too.

The biggest thing that went wrong was we chased the premier league dream and moved away from our tried and tested formula of buying players that fitted into the way we played. But to try and ensure success, and nearly all clubs are guilty of doing it, we went for the big named players. And please don't try and tell me that the managers (all of them) wouldn't want to buy established players for big money. It's natural, we'd all do it in those circumstances.

To be fair, I thought Baston could do well, but I didn't know that he was a knee jerk signing, a let's look at the La Liga scores list and sign the top scorer who isn't playing for the top 3 kind of signing.

But you're right that the move away from the Swansea way is what made it difficult to know which kind of players to sign. Your going to hate this, but it takes us back to another villain of this site - step forward Mr Monk
Borja Baston on 12:06 - May 24 with 2392 viewsLuther27

Borja Baston on 10:05 - May 24 by Jacket

Yeah, let's just forget he is the root cause of everything that's gone wrong with this club. It's not as if he got praised and made out to be the Messiah on our way up the leagues.

If he could take the praise, he can damn well take the deserved criticism he's now getting. Everything gets back to him on this forum, because all our current problems go back to him.

These failures I could forgive on their own, but when you couple his shortcomings as DoF, with the way he cashed in his shares without due care to this club's future, they become unforgivable and impossible to forget.

And you're exactly the type I'm referring to. Go and vent your spleen on other threads regarding the former board and not on a discussion about Baston.
Borja Baston on 12:08 - May 24 with 2388 viewsLuther27

Borja Baston on 10:14 - May 24 by Neath_Jack

You're forgetting the Planet Swans rule of thumb on transfers:

Player ends up doing well for us = Managers kudos or we were just lucky.
Player ends up being shite for us = Jenkins fault.

Agree with your post though.

Yeah I know. I take this place to serious on times lol
Borja Baston on 12:14 - May 24 with 2374 viewsNeath_Jack

Borja Baston on 11:52 - May 24 by Jacket

To be fair, I thought Baston could do well, but I didn't know that he was a knee jerk signing, a let's look at the La Liga scores list and sign the top scorer who isn't playing for the top 3 kind of signing.

But you're right that the move away from the Swansea way is what made it difficult to know which kind of players to sign. Your going to hate this, but it takes us back to another villain of this site - step forward Mr Monk

Was he a knee jerk signing? What you go on to describe is the scenario that we signed Michu. He worked, Baston didn't, these things happen with transfers all the time. He had nothing to do with Laudrup, he was offered to all and sundry in this country, and luckily we were the ones to bite on him.

I don't get why this site is so obsessed with negatives all the time, in every single thread.

Back to Baston, I'd like to see us give him another go with us if we can't sell him outright.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Login to get fewer ads

Borja Baston on 12:21 - May 24 with 2345 viewsdobjack2

Borja Baston on 12:14 - May 24 by Neath_Jack

Was he a knee jerk signing? What you go on to describe is the scenario that we signed Michu. He worked, Baston didn't, these things happen with transfers all the time. He had nothing to do with Laudrup, he was offered to all and sundry in this country, and luckily we were the ones to bite on him.

I don't get why this site is so obsessed with negatives all the time, in every single thread.

Back to Baston, I'd like to see us give him another go with us if we can't sell him outright.

Depends on whether he is interested in playing for us and I doubt that he is.
Borja Baston on 12:24 - May 24 with 2330 viewsJacket

How do you know Michu was a knee-jerk signing? Laudrup could have been tracking him for months for what we know. Baston was a failed effort to try and recreate the magic of Michu.

They are similar in terms of being amongst the top La Liga scorers plying their trade for clubs outside the top 3 but there are big differences. One glaring difference was the transfer fee, and another was the length of contract. So even if Michu was signed without doing the homework on him as you suggest without evidence, it didn't really matter because he was signed for a significantly lower fee, with a wage far lower than Baston's Atleti wage, and a significantly shorter contract. The risk was minimal.
Borja Baston on 12:27 - May 24 with 2322 viewsNeath_Jack

Borja Baston on 12:21 - May 24 by dobjack2

Yeah possibly the case.

Borja Baston on 12:28 - May 24 with 2315 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Borja Baston on 12:21 - May 24 by dobjack2

In his few appearances for us, particularly his later ones, he didn't look interested in playing for us.

One of the biggest sh1thouses I've seen in a Swans shirt. I can forgive a lack of talent but not a lack of effort.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Borja Baston on 12:33 - May 24 with 2303 viewsNeath_Jack

Borja Baston on 12:24 - May 24 by Jacket

How do you know Michu was a knee-jerk signing? Laudrup could have been tracking him for months for what we know. Baston was a failed effort to try and recreate the magic of Michu.

They are similar in terms of being amongst the top La Liga scorers plying their trade for clubs outside the top 3 but there are big differences. One glaring difference was the transfer fee, and another was the length of contract. So even if Michu was signed without doing the homework on him as you suggest without evidence, it didn't really matter because he was signed for a significantly lower fee, with a wage far lower than Baston's Atleti wage, and a significantly shorter contract. The risk was minimal.

I don't, but i'm not claiming Baston was either, just so it fits a negative narrative being pedalled all the time.

As i said earlier, nobody knows for certain what's what with any transfers, but posters always use the poor signing to have a go at Jenkins.

It's all a nonsense, which is the point i was making.

Borja Baston on 13:11 - May 24 with 2214 viewsjack247

Borja Baston on 11:33 - May 24 by Neath_Jack

Hindsight is King.

Borja wasn’t scouted properly.

He had no physicality or bottle at all and was signed to play as a lone striker. Not in the way Routledge does now, but being expected to hold the ball up and battle with centre backs. It was like asking McKay to do it.

He’d probably be much better suited to our current style.

There were some, like Sanches and Mesa who most of us were excited about, that just didn’t work out. There were also inexplicably bad signings like Borja and Clucas.
Borja Baston on 15:43 - May 24 with 2093 viewsBadlands

Borja Baston on 11:13 - May 24 by Neath_Jack

Baston had a decent scoring record in the two previous years prior to us signing him.

2014—2015 - 22
2015—2016 - 18

Whereas Paloschi scored 8 & 9 goals for the same period.

There again that 'lazy barsta**' Bafe Gomis has scored 70 in 94 league games since leaving us!

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Borja Baston on 15:59 - May 24 with 2069 viewsDafyddHuw

Just lay him for a season. He'd be magic i9n this division.
Borja Baston on 16:41 - May 24 with 1999 viewsgiantstoneater

Never did show any hunger or ability to want to play for us, a yellow streak the width of the Suez and greed to match why waste time on him.
Borja Baston on 17:31 - May 24 with 1913 viewslonglostjack

Borja Baston on 16:41 - May 24 by giantstoneater

Never did show any hunger or ability to want to play for us, a yellow streak the width of the Suez and greed to match why waste time on him.

Substitute the Suez for the Amazon at it's widest point and I'd agree with you.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Borja Baston on 19:49 - May 24 with 1816 viewsChief

Was all for Baston signing, great record in Spain.

I don't think we persisted enough with him. Letting him sun himself in Spain while the rest of the squad is running their arsses off in Swansea was ridiculous. He should have been told to report back to training just like everyone else. If he was going to refuse, don't pay him. Ok Clement and Potter might not want him but he should have then trained with the kids and his agent looks for a club in Spain for him. With a pre-season in him he might have been useful

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Borja Baston on 05:52 - May 25 with 1630 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Tutumulu got us Michu, Jenkins got us Borja. Or didn’t he?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Borja Baston on 06:31 - May 25 with 1597 viewsSirjohnalot

Got a month long trial coming up in July. I’m going to have to spend my bank holiday and my 40th at the end of June preparing for it.

Jenkins fault
Borja Baston on 09:53 - Jun 27 with 1279 viewsSwansea93

He's changed all his Twitter profile back to Swansea,background & profile pic are of Swansea also location.

Personally I'd like to see him given a chance in this league rather than selling him for 2-3M.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Borja Baston on 09:55 - Jun 27 with 1268 views34dfgdf54

Borja Baston on 09:53 - Jun 27 by Swansea93

He's changed all his Twitter profile back to Swansea,background & profile pic are of Swansea also location.

Personally I'd like to see him given a chance in this league rather than selling him for 2-3M.

I thought his wages were ridiculous?

Didn't our Trev even name drop him a few weeks back?
Borja Baston on 09:55 - Jun 27 with 1264 viewsCooperman

Borja Baston on 09:53 - Jun 27 by Swansea93

We've also got to worry about how we pay his wages.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Borja Baston on 09:57 - Jun 27 with 1255 viewsSwansea93

Borja Baston on 09:55 - Jun 27 by Cooperman

We've also got to worry about how we pay his wages.

Good point, it's probably nothing in it with him changing everything back to Swansea, but last season I don't recall him changing anything back to Swansea and he didn't even come back to the city.

If both the Ayews are off and McBurnie does leave then I think he'll be here to stay.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024