Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chenobyl 14:13 - Jun 1 with 2188 viewsthornabyswan

What a series.

Hard watch but the best series I have seen on TV for a long time.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Chenobyl on 23:02 - Jun 1 with 2057 viewsNookiejack

Yes makes you think that if ever close to a nuclear war - take a bottle of red wine down to the House of Parliament and have a nice drink of red as the missiles come in.
Chenobyl on 23:11 - Jun 1 with 2036 viewsJack123

Yes brilliant, watched 3 episodes so far, saving the last watch till final episode.

libera nos a malo

Chenobyl on 10:05 - Jun 2 with 1944 viewsCooperman

I have just caught up with the latest episode. A clear demonstration on how unprepared the world was for such a catastrophe and of how the Russians put national pride before execution of the best course of action.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Chenobyl on 10:39 - Jun 2 with 1903 viewsLord_Bony

So where do we find this

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Chenobyl on 11:09 - Jun 2 with 1860 viewsDarran

Frank Maloney was warned against going there.
They told him if you go there your Chernobyl drop off.
So he went.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Chenobyl on 11:44 - Jun 2 with 1836 viewsCooperman

Chenobyl on 10:39 - Jun 2 by Lord_Bony

So where do we find this

100 miles north of Kiev and just south of the Ukrainian border with Belarus.

Chenobyl on 11:53 - Jun 2 with 1828 viewsLord_Bony

Chenobyl on 11:44 - Jun 2 by Cooperman

100 miles north of Kiev and just south of the Ukrainian border with Belarus.

Yes very good Cooperman. I meant ont telly?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Chenobyl on 11:58 - Jun 2 with 1818 viewsexiledclaseboy

Chenobyl on 11:53 - Jun 2 by Lord_Bony

Yes very good Cooperman. I meant ont telly?

Sky Atlantic I think.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Chenobyl on 12:03 - Jun 2 with 1813 viewsCooperman

Chenobyl on 11:58 - Jun 2 by exiledclaseboy

Sky Atlantic I think.

That’s correct.

Chenobyl on 13:34 - Jun 2 with 1750 viewsLord_Bony

Thank you The Andrews.

Chenobyl on 17:18 - Jun 2 with 1636 viewsladyjack

Very disappointing series, imo, I understand the series is getting top ratings etc, I have watched it as its a tragic but interesting story and will watch the last episode to come [is there one left ?] but I thought the acting is terrible, no Russian [Ukraine] accents, would have been better to have had real Russians/Ukrainians actors and subtitles to try and make it more authentic the whole production seems cheap and nasty [yet I would not be surprised if it cost a lot to make], not sure how accurate the content is either as some things seem far fetched.

Is it some kind of anti Soviet propaganda by the West ?, In reality there would have been lots of mistakes and lots of hero's, that balance does not seem to have been achieved by this show.

Im not aware of a high profile show on the Wests war in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria and the resulting millions of deaths, that's why one wonders if Chernobyl is some kind of Western propaganda, also you would have thought there would have been scenes of the Russians discussing Windscale and Three Mile Island in the show and how the British and Americans reacted to their problems but perhaps that might show the British and Americans in not such a good light, I file this show under Western propaganda and rate it overall as poor.
Chenobyl on 18:02 - Jun 2 with 1588 viewsCooperman

Chenobyl on 17:18 - Jun 2 by ladyjack

Very disappointing series, imo, I understand the series is getting top ratings etc, I have watched it as its a tragic but interesting story and will watch the last episode to come [is there one left ?] but I thought the acting is terrible, no Russian [Ukraine] accents, would have been better to have had real Russians/Ukrainians actors and subtitles to try and make it more authentic the whole production seems cheap and nasty [yet I would not be surprised if it cost a lot to make], not sure how accurate the content is either as some things seem far fetched.

Is it some kind of anti Soviet propaganda by the West ?, In reality there would have been lots of mistakes and lots of hero's, that balance does not seem to have been achieved by this show.

Im not aware of a high profile show on the Wests war in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria and the resulting millions of deaths, that's why one wonders if Chernobyl is some kind of Western propaganda, also you would have thought there would have been scenes of the Russians discussing Windscale and Three Mile Island in the show and how the British and Americans reacted to their problems but perhaps that might show the British and Americans in not such a good light, I file this show under Western propaganda and rate it overall as poor.

I agree with the point about the accents and would go as far to say that English subtitles would still make it watchable.

Chenobyl on 19:51 - Jun 2 with 1537 viewsGroo

Erm, I don't know where to start!!!

If no-one responds to this before, I will after work.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2019 19:52]

Groo does what Groo does best

Chenobyl on 19:57 - Jun 2 with 1526 viewsbluey_the_blue

Accents / subtitles is always a subjective issue. Some like them, some don't. Russian / Ukrainian actors, accents runs the risk of losing the nuances ie intonation etc of the dialogue. When done well, for example the original Das Boot then it's great. When done badly ( see any poorly translated Japanese video game ) then it becomes laughable.

You seem to be under the delusion that Russian authorities would give a sh1t about American, British handling of problems, you don't get the mentality involved at the time - which was part of the problem.

As for the rest, I think I can safely say that's an opinion.
Chenobyl on 20:19 - Jun 2 with 1500 viewstreboeth1966

Hilarious....its not a documentary.
Chenobyl on 20:45 - Jun 2 with 1475 viewsBytholWyn

I don't think I could disagree more. I think the acting is great, and not using phoney Russian/Ukrainian accents, although literally obviously not authentic, introduces an interesting perspective - that Westerners in the same situation would no doubt have behaved in similarly honourable/dishonourable ways. If the actors were talking in foreign accents it would be harder to empathise or identify with the challenges and choices they faced. I also think most of the characterisation is subtle, even the head KGB guy is shown as an intelligent, intriguing character, albeit obviously a defender of the indefensible Communist system.

You can draw whatever inferences you like about the motivations of the film-makers and those financing the project, but there is little to suggest that they've strayed far from historical accuracy.

Eye in the Sky is but one example of films that have explored recent wars in the Middle East, and the conduct of Western forces. So the idea that this series on Chernobyl stands alone as an example of Western propaganda in a sea of denial about Western atrocity sounds a bit paranoid to be honest.
Chenobyl on 20:49 - Jun 2 with 1467 viewsLohengrin

Welcome back Trampie!

The old place hasn’t been the same without you.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Chenobyl on 20:55 - Jun 2 with 1445 viewsexiledclaseboy

Chenobyl on 20:49 - Jun 2 by Lohengrin

Welcome back Trampie!

That post did make me wonder too.

Poll: Tory leader

Chenobyl on 21:24 - Jun 2 with 1400 viewsCooperman

Chenobyl on 20:49 - Jun 2 by Lohengrin

Welcome back Trampie!

Is Trampie a lady? I’d always assumed that it was a bloke behind the name.

Chenobyl on 21:46 - Jun 2 with 1385 viewsLohengrin

Chenobyl on 21:24 - Jun 2 by Cooperman

Is Trampie a lady? I’d always assumed that it was a bloke behind the name.

Ella knew...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Chenobyl on 22:04 - Jun 2 with 1363 viewsdickythorpe

I liked Roy Nobyl more than his sister Cher.
Chenobyl on 18:34 - Jun 3 with 1174 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Should have got that scouse slapper from killing Eve on it, she does a better Russian accent than scouse!
Chenobyl on 18:44 - Jun 3 with 1163 viewsHighjack

Chenobyl on 19:51 - Jun 2 by Groo

Erm, I don't know where to start!!!

If no-one responds to this before, I will after work.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2019 19:52]

Some might say I have heard a certain poster has returned and has had a sex change.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024