Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager update 20:40 - Jun 3 with 22468 viewsHeadmaster

Toshack, Poyet, and Appleton included in a 6-man shortlist that is yet to be finalised. Mellon and Flynn are out. Henry and Kollner unlikely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48498757

An uninspiring list to say the least. Preferences?
[Post edited 3 Jun 2019 20:41]
Manager update on 22:21 - Jun 3 with 3130 viewsJacket

Manager update on 22:02 - Jun 3 by Kilkennyjack

Toshack ? Really ?

Would he have Leon and Gary Waggy with him ..... like the Liverpool away game ?

Ffs His u23s just got relegated.

Relegated yes, but to be fair anyone who would lose James, Rodon, Roberts, Grimes, McBurnie, Byers, Baker-Richardson would struggle.
Manager update on 22:32 - Jun 3 with 3047 viewsKilkennyjack

Manager update on 22:21 - Jun 3 by Jacket

Relegated yes, but to be fair anyone who would lose James, Rodon, Roberts, Grimes, McBurnie, Byers, Baker-Richardson would struggle.

Fair point.

The u23s never produced a single meaningful player in our Premiership years.
Connor played about the last 6.

Beware of the Risen People

Manager update on 22:38 - Jun 3 with 3010 viewsJacket

Manager update on 22:32 - Jun 3 by Kilkennyjack

Fair point.

The u23s never produced a single meaningful player in our Premiership years.
Connor played about the last 6.

Good enough to get the U23s promoted and many good enough for the Championship. How many U23s came through for say Man City in that time. Would James have made it if we were still in the premier, who knows, but he's certainly good enough now.
Manager update on 22:41 - Jun 3 with 2992 viewsWarwickHunt

Manager update on 21:24 - Jun 3 by Jacket

I think the fact Mellon was odds on last time I checked kind of makes me think twice before using bookies as a guide.

You should think more than twice...
Manager update on 22:57 - Jun 3 with 2909 viewsmajorraglan

Manager update on 22:38 - Jun 3 by Jacket

Good enough to get the U23s promoted and many good enough for the Championship. How many U23s came through for say Man City in that time. Would James have made it if we were still in the premier, who knows, but he's certainly good enough now.

You are right. Producing young players good enough for the Premier League is very difficult. Lots of the big clubs struggle to produce first team players from their academies and quite often they’ve hoovered the talent up from various parts of the country and further afield in their efforts. Producing Championship standard players is a good result, especially at such a young age, if the club can sustain the development it will stand it in good shape going forward.
Manager update on 23:06 - Jun 3 with 2868 viewsAl_Bundy

Rookie manager internally promoted. Cheap as chips !!

Wait and see what we sow.
Manager update on 23:36 - Jun 3 with 2760 viewsjasper_T

Manager update on 22:38 - Jun 3 by Jacket

DJ should have been coming on in games towards the end of the last PL season. Connor never should have gone on loan to Boro at the start (as I said at the time). Was better positioned to get games here than there, especially after they went and signed another right back the week after his loan went through.

Lack of bravery in managers is a bigger issue than lack of talent when it comes to creating Premier League players. Easier to spend (sometimes tens of) millions on someone who's been given a chance elsewhere than trust in your own products.
Manager update on 23:44 - Jun 3 with 2734 viewsKilkennyjack

Manager update on 22:57 - Jun 3 by majorraglan

You are right. Producing young players good enough for the Premier League is very difficult. Lots of the big clubs struggle to produce first team players from their academies and quite often they’ve hoovered the talent up from various parts of the country and further afield in their efforts. Producing Championship standard players is a good result, especially at such a young age, if the club can sustain the development it will stand it in good shape going forward.

We did not produce them for Championship level though, we just signed them from other clubs. All of dan, Ollie, Grimes, Byers, Fulton ... plus Kenji, Rory, Mo etc

And Swans failed to produce since Ben after making millions of investment.
When the first team needed help the academy offered feck all.
It cost us big time.

You are making the case for stopping academy investment if no clubs can produce players.

I think its time our coaches worked with local talent again like we did with joey, ben, and jaz.
Rodon and Roberts should be the start.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

Manager update on 23:58 - Jun 3 with 2695 viewsTNT

We kept playing Naughton.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Manager update on 23:59 - Jun 3 with 2693 viewsmajorraglan

Manager update on 23:44 - Jun 3 by Kilkennyjack

We did not produce them for Championship level though, we just signed them from other clubs. All of dan, Ollie, Grimes, Byers, Fulton ... plus Kenji, Rory, Mo etc

It cost us big time.

You are making the case for stopping academy investment if no clubs can produce players.

I think its time our coaches worked with local talent again like we did with joey, ben, and jaz.

Some were signed from other clubs but they were polished and turned in to what they are now at Swansea City. If they had stayed where they were, maybe they wouldn’t have come as far as they have! What Swansea have done is no different to what other teams have done.

I would love to see a Swansea City team made up entirely of local players, but it’s mot going to happen for years if ever. If the Academy can turn out a player who can be sold for £10m every year or so, then it will help sustain the club. Turning out PL players is very difficult. The PL is the best league in the world, the 20 teams in it each have squads of around 25 players which adds up to only 500 players, so the odds are stacked against young players. The Championship is a hard League, but it’s a world apart from the PL.
Manager update on 00:14 - Jun 4 with 2659 viewsjasper_T

Manager update on 23:44 - Jun 3 by Kilkennyjack

It cost us big time.

Tyler Reid. Tidy wage for a United reject, now gone to Swindon on a free. Bit of a gamble for them imo.

Wonder if they've taken his brother as well.
Manager update on 00:33 - Jun 4 with 2615 viewsdobjack2

Manager update on 23:36 - Jun 3 by jasper_T

DJ should have been coming on in games towards the end of the last PL season. Connor never should have gone on loan to Boro at the start (as I said at the time). Was better positioned to get games here than there, especially after they went and signed another right back the week after his loan went through.

Lack of bravery in managers is a bigger issue than lack of talent when it comes to creating Premier League players. Easier to spend (sometimes tens of) millions on someone who's been given a chance elsewhere than trust in your own products.

Lack of bravery is one way of putting it - scared of losing their jobs if results go the wrong way is another way of saying it.

In the Premiership the one thing you did not have is time. For most clubs the only times you have to blood youngsters is at the start of a season - and you run away quickly if you don’t get enough points or once you have hit the magic 40. Fear of losing your job kicks in otherwise.

Long term projects are a lot easier in theory than practice. Lose your way of making laying and become an identikit team with limited resources and you end up like we did - sacking managers hoping to stave off what has now become an almost inevitable relegation.
Manager update on 00:52 - Jun 4 with 2581 viewsjasper_T

Manager update on 00:33 - Jun 4 by dobjack2

Lack of bravery is one way of putting it - scared of losing their jobs if results go the wrong way is another way of saying it.

In the Premiership the one thing you did not have is time. For most clubs the only times you have to blood youngsters is at the start of a season - and you run away quickly if you don’t get enough points or once you have hit the magic 40. Fear of losing your job kicks in otherwise.

Long term projects are a lot easier in theory than practice. Lose your way of making laying and become an identikit team with limited resources and you end up like we did - sacking managers hoping to stave off what has now become an almost inevitable relegation.

It's not lack of time that makes managers stick with losing systems and players we all know aren't good enough on the long, miserable road to relegation/them getting fired.

Carvalhal should have been trying anything and everything in those last ten games if he wanted to keep the job. Instead he made the same selections and same substitutions that hadn't worked time and time again. He'd rather know we were going to lose by 1 again than risk the (relatively) unknown.
Manager update on 01:19 - Jun 4 with 2553 viewsdameedna

The optimum return on investment will be to give Toshack the role until Christmas with a percentage uplift on his current contract and a hefty win bonus for him and the entire first team squad.

As investors if he does well he gets a contract at the season.

We already have the support team in place.
Manager update on 05:50 - Jun 4 with 2456 viewsCaptain_Sham

Toshack in.

Its just a ride.

Manager update on 09:44 - Jun 4 with 2212 viewsblackpooljack

Manager update on 05:50 - Jun 4 by Captain_Sham

Toshack in.

Did Toshack Jnr have any input into the signing of any of our academy players if not then what experience is he going to use when given the final say in any senior player recruitment lf given the job. ( Sorry that wasn't a direct response to your post just a general comment. )
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 9:47]
Manager update on 09:55 - Jun 4 with 2174 views34dfgdf54

Nixon has said that the "foreign english speaking" guy he was talking about wasn't Henry or Kollner, but it is irrelevant as he has since heard he never made the final list.

I'm still going with Henry.
Manager update on 10:08 - Jun 4 with 2121 viewsPapaLazarou

Toshack
Poyet
Appleton
Kollner
Bowen
Pascoe
Manager update on 10:30 - Jun 4 with 2041 viewsBadlands

Spent ages reading the comments above ad my confusion is - I'm glad we have don't have referendums to choose managers.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Manager update on 10:34 - Jun 4 with 2021 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Manager update on 20:46 - Jun 3 by Swansea93

He's got alot of experience managing around the world, played good football with Brighton got them promoted from L1 and took them to the Championship play offs, I'd be more confident with him than Toshack or Appleton.

I would agree, is the right manager for us though, can't see it?

I don't think he would last ten minutes with our owners, I think it's just to appease us, and we will end up with Toshack, with statements like he blew us away with his vision!
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 10:37]
Manager update on 10:46 - Jun 4 with 1981 viewsdobjack2

Manager update on 00:52 - Jun 4 by jasper_T

It's not lack of time that makes managers stick with losing systems and players we all know aren't good enough on the long, miserable road to relegation/them getting fired.

Carvalhal should have been trying anything and everything in those last ten games if he wanted to keep the job. Instead he made the same selections and same substitutions that hadn't worked time and time again. He'd rather know we were going to lose by 1 again than risk the (relatively) unknown.

Carvalhal made a terrible decision to change tactics and then wasn’t strong enough to admit his mistake. To himself as much as anyone else.

I read an interview with Carlton Palmer about calvalhal presumably based on observations of his time at Wednesday. He said that calvalhal is being very positive at present (February) because he feels that he has nothing to lose. If come the last few games he sticks to that approach they (Swansea) will stay up. If he reverts to what he did at the end at Wednesday (negative in his approach) they will go down. That’s when the pressure is on.

To me he thought we were almost safe and disastrously changed tactics to try and grind out the couple of results we needed. He then lost his nerve and kept repeating losing tactics and substitutions based on a hope that we would pick up the points we needed rather than any reason or logic.

Palmer was speculating that the second calvalhal thought that he had something to lose he would probably revert to type and he was right.
Manager update on 10:53 - Jun 4 with 1949 viewsVincent_Vega

To quote his statement

“already had a significant number of applications from around the world; but that’s not surprising as it is an attractive job and the amount of interest at this early stage is testament to the club’s pulling power.”

And this is the resulting shortlist!? Looks like that magic BS fairy dust has got to Birch.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Manager update on 10:59 - Jun 4 with 1921 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Manager update on 10:53 - Jun 4 by Vincent_Vega

To quote his statement

“already had a significant number of applications from around the world; but that’s not surprising as it is an attractive job and the amount of interest at this early stage is testament to the club’s pulling power.”

And this is the resulting shortlist!? Looks like that magic BS fairy dust has got to Birch.

A fisherman from East Timor who applied just missed the shortlist.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Manager update on 11:06 - Jun 4 with 1882 viewsBadlands

Manager update on 10:34 - Jun 4 by AlfieMooresSon

I would agree, is the right manager for us though, can't see it?

I don't think he would last ten minutes with our owners, I think it's just to appease us, and we will end up with Toshack, with statements like he blew us away with his vision!
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 10:37]

I don't think he would last ten minutes with our owners,

???

Why not? Let's face it he had a couple of good seasons a ew years ago, certainly nothing to come all Billy Big Balls about.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Manager update on 11:13 - Jun 4 with 1844 viewsjackrmee

Manager update on 00:33 - Jun 4 by dobjack2

Lack of bravery, lack of time, fear of the sack, AND a chairman who will spend fuking millions if you ask him nicely. Who's going to risk bringing through a young right back in the premier league if your chairman is willing to buy you one who looks the bollocks?

edit...just reread that and it sounds like I'm having a go. Quote was merely a reflection. Sorry.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 11:22]

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024