Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
M4 Relief Road 12:04 - Jun 4 with 8371 viewsVincent_Vega

Scrapped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48512697

Agony for Cardiffian business' and Caravanists from Wolverhampton

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

M4 Relief Road on 17:27 - Jun 4 with 1525 viewsLohengrin

M4 Relief Road on 17:15 - Jun 4 by felixstowe_jack

Only 1% of the Gwent levels will be built on. The Welsh Assembly could easily set up an extra nature reserve and wetland twice the size as the area lost out of the road budget. Win for the environment and the motorists.
The real reason seems to be that for labour to continue running the Welsh Assembly they need to bribe the greens and plaid.

You’re wrong there. 0% of the Gwent Levels will be built on.

Stick that in your pipe...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

M4 Relief Road on 17:45 - Jun 4 with 1502 viewsKilkennyjack

M4 Relief Road on 17:27 - Jun 4 by Lohengrin

You’re wrong there. 0% of the Gwent Levels will be built on.

Stick that in your pipe...

Beat me to it.

Its not fecking happening... 😂😂

Next great idea ... the fabled north south motorway ‘Ffordd Gogledd’.
Alun Cairns can do the big signs and everything.

Huge boost for the WPL.....

Beware of the Risen People

M4 Relief Road on 17:51 - Jun 4 with 1493 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

Spend the money on creating a decent public travel plan to get the cars off the road.
Surely that's the way forward?
M4 Relief Road on 18:00 - Jun 4 with 1481 viewsCooperman

M4 Relief Road on 17:51 - Jun 4 by Alberto_Swinglehurst

Spend the money on creating a decent public travel plan to get the cars off the road.

There are upwards of 5,000 vehicles per hour going through each of the tunnels at peak times. An increase in public transport infrastructure will barely scratch the surface.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

M4 Relief Road on 18:10 - Jun 4 with 1467 viewslondonlisa2001

M4 Relief Road on 16:59 - Jun 4 by Lohengrin

Regardless of any and all other considerations, Lis, transforming this...

into that...

would be criminal. An absolute travesty that future generations would shake their heads at and wonder what on Earth were we thinking?
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 18:50]

Oh, I completely agree.

I’m just making the point that it’s the lack of EU funding that has actually caused the decision.

The FM is just using it as a way of improving their green credentials, and also is deeply concerned about more Labour votes moving to the brexit party if he blames Brexit.
M4 Relief Road on 18:15 - Jun 4 with 1463 viewslondonlisa2001

M4 Relief Road on 17:15 - Jun 4 by felixstowe_jack

Only 1% of the Gwent levels will be built on. The Welsh Assembly could easily set up an extra nature reserve and wetland twice the size as the area lost out of the road budget. Win for the environment and the motorists.
The real reason seems to be that for labour to continue running the Welsh Assembly they need to bribe the greens and plaid.

Nope, the reason is that there is no longer EU funding available.

The UKIP AMs actually asked Ireland to access the grants required from the EU to pay for it.
M4 Relief Road on 18:16 - Jun 4 with 1462 viewsWingstandwood

Sorry to repeat myself, but its not just a section of the Welsh road transport system that's not up to scratch i.e. its the whole bloody thing from North, South, East and West. Welcome to Westminster/WAG 'Project New Albania'. Wales going backwards at a rate of knots!

ITV Wales current affairs Wales This Week reporting stated that Wales has a transport network that last saw major investment during a time period when people had three TV channels, black and white televisions, wooden enclosed 5ft mono radiograms that played 78rpm records. And when half pint of beer was darn cheap also costing only (pre decimal) 11d.

Argus!

M4 Relief Road on 18:21 - Jun 4 with 1456 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

M4 Relief Road on 18:00 - Jun 4 by Cooperman

There are upwards of 5,000 vehicles per hour going through each of the tunnels at peak times. An increase in public transport infrastructure will barely scratch the surface.

Then it goes to show how much more we need to invest in public transport to close the gap. Building more/better roads isn't the only answer. Give the public a viable decent alternative.
Login to get fewer ads

M4 Relief Road on 18:39 - Jun 4 with 1422 viewsCooperman

M4 Relief Road on 16:59 - Jun 4 by Lohengrin

Regardless of any and all other considerations, Lis, transforming this...

into that...

would be criminal. An absolute travesty that future generations would shake their heads at and wonder what on Earth were we thinking?
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 18:50]

As Neath_Jack said, I assume you don’t have to travel through the tunnels several times a week.

I’m all for protection of conservation myself and respect of our planet figures very highly in my views. However everything has a price and the balance shifted in favour of the relief road a long time ago.

M4 Relief Road on 18:44 - Jun 4 with 1411 viewsCooperman

M4 Relief Road on 16:09 - Jun 4 by bluey_the_blue

There are what 23 junctions or so from start of M4 in England to Wales. After that, isn't there 26 or so?

The problem with the M4 in Wales is that it's disjointed, almost schizophrenic in places with far, far too many exits. That means people jump on, jump off delaying traffic... and Brynglas tunnels are an utter clusterfvck of road planning.

This is heavily influenced by geographical features. The M4 runs East / West along the flatter coastal areas with junctions feeding regional roads that run North up through the valleys. Cutting out junctions and linking valley towns via supplementary routes that run East / West isn’t feasible.

M4 Relief Road on 19:19 - Jun 4 with 1365 viewsPrivate_Partz

Took him long enough, but excellent news.
It's not that bad anyway and the Heads of The Valley twinning will improve the situation no end.
Much more deserving cases throughout the rest of Wales.

For those in favour of All Things Cardiff well don't fret. Mr Drayford will pump all the money saved into sustainable transport in Cardiff and Newport whilst the rest of Wales can do one as usual.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

M4 Relief Road on 19:23 - Jun 4 with 1356 viewsFlashberryjack

M4 Relief Road on 12:27 - Jun 4 by LeonWasGod

Fk EU standards. We want cart tracks like in the good old days!

£44m peed up the wall in consultation and design costs. That can't be good management, can it? Almost Tory-esque in levels of waste.

It is good management if you happen to be one of the designers or consultants.

Kerching !

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

M4 Relief Road on 19:54 - Jun 4 with 1326 viewsmajorraglan

I think this is a very poor decision and is going to damage the Welsh economy and cost jobs and opportunities. The M4 around Newport, Port Talbot through to Swansea and the A40 from St Clears to Fishguard and Pembroke Dock are the major arterial routes in the South and they are all substandard.
If we want a prosperous economy then we need good transport links, and to be honest a public transport system ain’t cutting it. If you live in a densely packed metropolitan area like our major cities then public transport is great, but outside of that it’s a nightmare. We have thousands of people living in deprived areas such as the valleys where public transport is poor and jobs few and far between (particularly well paid ones) which means if you want to get ahead you need a car!

I am all in favour of preserving the environment and sustainable transport, but if we are along about improving quality of life, bringing families and children out of poverty there we need decent jobs and opportunities. Today in my opinion is a bad day for Wales.
M4 Relief Road on 20:06 - Jun 4 with 1310 viewsLord_Bony

M4 Relief Road on 16:53 - Jun 4 by ladyjack

A Wales wide transport plan is required not just Cardiff and the South East.

Trust plaid cymru the party of Wales to talk bullocks and glorify themselves in this decision .

They have certainly helped to f****** the Welsh economy for years to come well done boys. we should have built this first as a priority and then moved onto the rest of Wales.

Cymru am Byth.

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

M4 Relief Road on 20:10 - Jun 4 with 1305 viewsLord_Bony

M4 Relief Road on 15:56 - Jun 4 by Neath_Jack

Spoken like someone who only travels down the road and back for work.

Try commuting anywhere the other side of Newport and then tell yourself leave half hour earlier. It is absolutely souls destroying travelling through that area.

It's an absolute disgrace that we have road networks like we do in 2019.

the best part is the funding for this project was more or less put in place years ago it just needed somebody to act on it it was a gift.

we will never have an opportunity like this again the EU were prepared to spend big time on it because the tunnels did not come up to the EU motorway standard that's why we would have had such a huge Grant, coupled with funding from Westminster and a private consortium, it would not have cost the people of Wales that match to have been built.

Why in gods name could we have not just built this bloody thing? It will affect the economy of Wales of which the money gets distributed fairly throughout, well kind of, for many years to come

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

M4 Relief Road on 20:15 - Jun 4 with 1283 viewsNeath_Jack

M4 Relief Road on 20:10 - Jun 4 by Lord_Bony

the best part is the funding for this project was more or less put in place years ago it just needed somebody to act on it it was a gift.

we will never have an opportunity like this again the EU were prepared to spend big time on it because the tunnels did not come up to the EU motorway standard that's why we would have had such a huge Grant, coupled with funding from Westminster and a private consortium, it would not have cost the people of Wales that match to have been built.

Why in gods name could we have not just built this bloody thing? It will affect the economy of Wales of which the money gets distributed fairly throughout, well kind of, for many years to come

Yeah but all those businesses that are not coming to Wales due to the awful roads, will just have to leave half hour earlier, no problem.

Just wait until they close Tata, then you'll really see gnashing of Teeth.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

M4 Relief Road on 20:19 - Jun 4 with 1266 viewsLord_Bony

M4 Relief Road on 20:15 - Jun 4 by Neath_Jack

Yeah but all those businesses that are not coming to Wales due to the awful roads, will just have to leave half hour earlier, no problem.

Just wait until they close Tata, then you'll really see gnashing of Teeth.

Free access into Wales now via the Severn bridge will certainly increase the traffic flow.

For people who have to work east of The tunnels and come back through them morning and evening 5 days a week I really feel sorry for... The queue of traffic coming West is horrendous everyday .

Soul destroying indeed.

M4 Relief Road on 20:23 - Jun 4 with 1248 viewsexiledclaseboy

It took me and the trouble and strife more time to drive from Bristol airport to Swansea last Monday than it did to fly home from Menorca. Most of that time was to trying to get past Newport. Can’t imagine having to do that on any kind of regular basis.

Poll: Tory leader

M4 Relief Road on 20:30 - Jun 4 with 1224 viewsNeath_Jack

M4 Relief Road on 20:19 - Jun 4 by Lord_Bony

Free access into Wales now via the Severn bridge will certainly increase the traffic flow.

For people who have to work east of The tunnels and come back through them morning and evening 5 days a week I really feel sorry for... The queue of traffic coming West is horrendous everyday .

Soul destroying indeed.

I work for a local based company, but most of our work is the other side of the bridge these days. I'm lucky in that i am based local and only have to travel once or twice a week. But our employees have to drive through that, put in a hard days manual graft 9 hours or more, then have to put up with that on the way home. This will happen to more and more local companies if they want to stay in business.

The strain it puts on them and their families is huge. They could always pack it in and live on benefits i suppose

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

M4 Relief Road on 20:43 - Jun 4 with 1194 viewsLord_Bony

M4 Relief Road on 20:30 - Jun 4 by Neath_Jack

I work for a local based company, but most of our work is the other side of the bridge these days. I'm lucky in that i am based local and only have to travel once or twice a week. But our employees have to drive through that, put in a hard days manual graft 9 hours or more, then have to put up with that on the way home. This will happen to more and more local companies if they want to stay in business.

The strain it puts on them and their families is huge. They could always pack it in and live on benefits i suppose

Part of my business is based in Newport but I'm lucky that I travel from Cardiff. Having said that on Friday afternoons for some reason the traffic is backed up almost up to Cardiff gate and it takes an hour to get in which normally takes 10 minutes during the week from that point.

Coming the other way for all those big transport lorries and cars is absolutely horrendous because of the speed restrictions continuously in place. So for people working on a regular basis it would really grind you down, if I was living the other side east of Newport, then I would not do it believe me. many new businesses will think twice about investing in Wales because of this problem.

I doubt very much Westminster will be interested in coughing a few billion pounds in the future the opportunity has gone.a lot of business would rather base themselves over the border in England thanwest of The tunnels and that is a fact.

We've been waiting 18 years for this decision looks like we missed the boat.

M4 Relief Road on 20:45 - Jun 4 with 1186 viewsladyjack

M4 Relief Road on 20:06 - Jun 4 by Lord_Bony

Trust plaid cymru the party of Wales to talk bullocks and glorify themselves in this decision .

They have certainly helped to f****** the Welsh economy for years to come well done boys. we should have built this first as a priority and then moved onto the rest of Wales.

Cymru am Byth.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2014-06-17/plaid-call-for-quicker-and-chea

Plaid would build the relief road for the benefit of the Welsh economy, they would have it built cheaper and faster using a different route [upgrading an existing road] and spend the money saved on infrastructure projects across Wales and their preferred route would help protect the Gwent levels.
M4 Relief Road on 20:50 - Jun 4 with 1163 viewswestside

M4 Relief Road on 17:51 - Jun 4 by Alberto_Swinglehurst

EU paid for a new bus/coach station in the Quadrant, Swansea
M4 Relief Road on 20:57 - Jun 4 with 1144 viewsLord_Bony

M4 Relief Road on 20:45 - Jun 4 by ladyjack

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2014-06-17/plaid-call-for-quicker-and-chea

Plaid would build the relief road for the benefit of the Welsh economy, they would have it built cheaper and faster using a different route [upgrading an existing road] and spend the money saved on infrastructure projects across Wales and their preferred route would help protect the Gwent levels.

The thing is Trampie,that was looked at and it was not feasible.

We should not have looked a gift horse in the mouth.

M4 Relief Road on 21:02 - Jun 4 with 1123 viewsDr_Winston

I'd rather take five hours to get to Llandudno and go via Aberystwyth than see them drive a six lane monstrosity through the Heart of Wales.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

M4 Relief Road on 21:05 - Jun 4 with 1115 viewsCooperman

M4 Relief Road on 20:45 - Jun 4 by ladyjack

Why have you returned masquerading as a lady?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024