Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Women's world cup 11:12 - Jun 7 with 27685 viewsLord_Bony

Starts tonight BBC1 anybody watching it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/07/women-worl

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Women's world cup on 09:07 - Jul 8 with 1416 viewsbluey_the_blue

Women's world cup on 09:00 - Jul 8 by exiledclaseboy

Where did I say it was great, dullboy?

You're whining about people complaining about the standard of play. Fact is, it's a poor standard. You're trying to cite your club spending years in the lower leagues as some kind of stick to beat people with? League 2 standard is light years above womens football.

People are entitled to point out it's an incredibly poor standard because it is.
Women's world cup on 10:38 - Jul 8 with 1352 viewsMrSwerve

Who cares about the standard? It's the female version of the Football World Cup, one of the biggest sporting events in the World. It should be televised. Let's face it, even though the standard isn't fantastic, it's hardly scandalous.

Seems to me that people are clinging on to the 'standard' thing in order to complain about having women's sports on TV at prime times.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 10:49]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Women's world cup on 10:47 - Jul 8 with 1335 viewsLeonWasGod

Women's world cup on 10:38 - Jul 8 by MrSwerve

Who cares about the standard? It's the female version of the Football World Cup, one of the biggest sporting events in the World. It should be televised. Let's face it, even though the standard isn't fantastic, it's hardly scandalous.

Seems to me that people are clinging on to the 'standard' thing in order to complain about having women's sports on TV at prime times.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 10:49]

Yep. I didn't watch much as I don't have anything invested in any of those teams (I'm not interested in the England men's team either). I'd have seen more if there'd been a Welsh team as the kids and missus would have watched it. I tend not to watch a lot of footie on TV anyway as I see enough live throughout the season.

But despite all that, what little I saw was quite entertaining and the matches retain the tactical element if not pure pace and power. I don't see the problem with it and don't see why it needs to be judged against the men's' standard. No reason why it shouldn't be on TV imo.
Women's world cup on 11:20 - Jul 8 with 1311 viewsBrynCartwright

I began the World Cup as a complete cynic, refusing to watch the matches out of sheer dumb-headed-ness. However, because the game is great and there was no other football on I began to watch some bits of some games. I witnessed some undeniably outstanding examples of skill, and ended up watching most of the England v USA match.

Yes, the female game is slower and less powerful, and the error count is frustratingly high, but it deserves to be televised and regarded as a different entity to the men's game. We just need the Welsh lasses to step up now for the next World Cup.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Women's world cup on 11:26 - Jul 8 with 1309 viewsbluey_the_blue

It absolutely should be televised, no complaints on that score.

It's more the overhyping in the media when the overall quality has been poor.

African Cup of Nations has had some cracking games, cracking stories yet received far less media attention - the Madagascar story is fantastic, first every appearance, beat 2 times winners Congo to get into quarters, coach is a technical director at a fourth division French side.
Women's world cup on 12:16 - Jul 8 with 1282 viewsMrSwerve

Women's world cup on 11:26 - Jul 8 by bluey_the_blue

African Cup of Nations has had some cracking games, cracking stories yet received far less media attention - the Madagascar story is fantastic, first every appearance, beat 2 times winners Congo to get into quarters, coach is a technical director at a fourth division French side.

Why would the BBC give more time to an African competition when England and Scotland ladies are playing in a World Cup?

It's what happens when England/TeamGB are in a competition. There's more time spent on cycling, rowing, curling, etc. etc. when there is a success story (regardless of gender). I never hear people saying 'oh well the standard of curling this year is shocking, why is it on TV?'

There's an opposition to women's football in particular which is almost tangible. I'd rather have those matches on the BBC than a repeat of cash in the attic or similar. I'd argue that most of the people complaining about it on TV are either not in front of a TV when the World Cup games were on, or were watching something else anyway.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 12:16]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Women's world cup on 17:48 - Jul 8 with 1185 viewsbluey_the_blue

Women's world cup on 12:16 - Jul 8 by MrSwerve

Why would the BBC give more time to an African competition when England and Scotland ladies are playing in a World Cup?

It's what happens when England/TeamGB are in a competition. There's more time spent on cycling, rowing, curling, etc. etc. when there is a success story (regardless of gender). I never hear people saying 'oh well the standard of curling this year is shocking, why is it on TV?'

There's an opposition to women's football in particular which is almost tangible. I'd rather have those matches on the BBC than a repeat of cash in the attic or similar. I'd argue that most of the people complaining about it on TV are either not in front of a TV when the World Cup games were on, or were watching something else anyway.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 12:16]

Well, Scotland don't last in world cups long, regardless of gender.

I watched a fair few games, some decent ones, some stinkers, low quality stuff. A fair few games just could't watch anymore.

BBC certainly used to show highlights of AFCON. Given there are many players involved who are with British teams Zaha, then there's certainly public interest - moreso than women's football arguably due to the greater interest in Prem football.

Now, who said "give more time"? Not me.
Women's world cup on 17:59 - Jul 8 with 1179 viewsexiledclaseboy

Women's world cup on 11:26 - Jul 8 by bluey_the_blue

So the AFCON has received far less coverage than the World Cup in which one of the home nations had a fighting chance of winning. That’s such a scandal.

Every game of the AFCON has been live on Eurosport by the way.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Women's world cup on 18:09 - Jul 8 with 1173 viewsbluey_the_blue

Women's world cup on 17:59 - Jul 8 by exiledclaseboy

So the AFCON has received far less coverage than the World Cup in which one of the home nations had a fighting chance of winning. That’s such a scandal.

Every game of the AFCON has been live on Eurosport by the way.

Indeed, but in case you'd not noticed, Eurosport isn't BBC.

BBC used to promote AFCON, show highlights. That's now been dropped. Again, the presence of players like Zaha have more interest to Prem fans than say Fran Kirby.
Women's world cup on 18:11 - Jul 8 with 1173 viewsHumpty

Women's world cup on 17:48 - Jul 8 by bluey_the_blue

Well, Scotland don't last in world cups long, regardless of gender.

I watched a fair few games, some decent ones, some stinkers, low quality stuff. A fair few games just could't watch anymore.

BBC certainly used to show highlights of AFCON. Given there are many players involved who are with British teams Zaha, then there's certainly public interest - moreso than women's football arguably due to the greater interest in Prem football.

Now, who said "give more time"? Not me.

I don't think any AFCON game would get nearly 12 million viewers if it were on the telly even if Zaha was playing.

More public interest? Bollocks.
Women's world cup on 18:14 - Jul 8 with 1167 viewsexiledclaseboy

Women's world cup on 18:09 - Jul 8 by bluey_the_blue

Indeed, but in case you'd not noticed, Eurosport isn't BBC.

BBC used to promote AFCON, show highlights. That's now been dropped. Again, the presence of players like Zaha have more interest to Prem fans than say Fran Kirby.

The increasing number of viewers for every England game peaking at 12m for the semi final tells me you’re talking bollocks. Humpty’s nailed it, no AFCON game on the BBC would get anywhere near that. Most men’s World Cup games not involving England or one of the other home nations don’t get anywhere near that.

Women's world cup on 18:19 - Jul 8 with 1162 viewsbluey_the_blue

Women's world cup on 18:14 - Jul 8 by exiledclaseboy

The increasing number of viewers for every England game peaking at 12m for the semi final tells me you’re talking bollocks. Humpty’s nailed it, no AFCON game on the BBC would get anywhere near that. Most men’s World Cup games not involving England or one of the other home nations don’t get anywhere near that.

So you believe no casual viewers have been watching the world cup then?

Women's league is in for a bumper income boost with so many going to watch the domestic games then.
Women's world cup on 18:20 - Jul 8 with 1160 viewsexiledclaseboy

Women's world cup on 18:19 - Jul 8 by bluey_the_blue

So you believe no casual viewers have been watching the world cup then?

Women's league is in for a bumper income boost with so many going to watch the domestic games then.

What are you on about?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024