Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Welsh Became Cool 21:14 - Jun 13 with 2747 viewsGlyn1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/13/welsh-speaking-bilingual-tv-thri

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

How Welsh Became Cool on 21:27 - Jun 13 with 2219 viewsKilkennyjack

Its normal for countries to have 2 languages.

England is the odd one out with just one language.

The language of heaven. Fact. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 ☦️

Our club could do more with the welsh language - think Joey and Ben.
The welsh fa has already embraced Cymraeg.

Beware of the Risen People

How Welsh Became Cool on 21:30 - Jun 13 with 2216 viewsBanosswan

How Welsh Became Cool on 21:27 - Jun 13 by Kilkennyjack

Cornish?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

How Welsh Became Cool on 23:36 - Jun 13 with 2111 viewsBytholWyn

How Welsh Became Cool on 21:30 - Jun 13 by Banosswan

Cornish?

Is Cornwall a part of England? Discuss...
How Welsh Became Cool on 00:07 - Jun 14 with 2094 viewsKilkennyjack

How Welsh Became Cool on 23:36 - Jun 13 by BytholWyn

Do we mean occupied Kernow?

How Welsh Became Cool on 00:15 - Jun 14 with 2088 viewsBanosswan

How Welsh Became Cool on 23:36 - Jun 13 by BytholWyn

Is Wales part of Mercia?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

How Welsh Became Cool on 06:31 - Jun 14 with 2007 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Oh, I didn’t realise you were a Welsh speaker. You must be from Llanelli

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

How Welsh Became Cool on 08:29 - Jun 14 with 1933 viewsVincent_Vega

I do feel there's a growing Welsh pride in recent years,

I also see that Wales is now more 'on the map' in the eyes of Jonny foreigner. Whether its down to Welshies going abroad more and the constant correction of 'No not English, WELSH' is finally getting through or the years the Swans being in the prem, hinterland, Euro 2016, Geraint Thomas, Gareth Bale, Ryder cup, all have done great in promoting awareness of this region of the world.

And before someone buts in about the Egg it's been our 'national' sport for years and I'm sorry to break it to the chaser fans but only countries that take part in the Rugby world cup actually take notice of the countries in it.

As far as going Indy Wales I feel it's inevitable as the course to independence was taken in 1997. The only logical conclusion of devolution in the end is independence, may not be in my lifetime but it will eventually happen.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

How Welsh Became Cool on 09:12 - Jun 14 with 1892 viewsLeonWasGod

How Welsh Became Cool on 08:29 - Jun 14 by Vincent_Vega

I also see that Wales is now more 'on the map' in the eyes of Jonny foreigner. Whether its down to Welshies going abroad more and the constant correction of 'No not English, WELSH' is finally getting through or the years the Swans being in the prem, hinterland, Euro 2016, Geraint Thomas, Gareth Bale, Ryder cup, all have done great in promoting awareness of this region of the world.

And before someone buts in about the Egg it's been our 'national' sport for years and I'm sorry to break it to the chaser fans but only countries that take part in the Rugby world cup actually take notice of the countries in it.

As far as going Indy Wales I feel it's inevitable as the course to independence was taken in 1997. The only logical conclusion of devolution in the end is independence, may not be in my lifetime but it will eventually happen.

Welsh Pride? That won't please a few on here
Login to get fewer ads

How Welsh Became Cool on 09:34 - Jun 14 with 1879 viewsVincent_Vega

How Welsh Became Cool on 09:12 - Jun 14 by LeonWasGod

Well If my words offend.. boo hoo!!

Could've worded it better maybe overt displays of Welsh identity.

Take our Celtic cousins for example, The whole world knows about what their identity through their products and stereotypes which they actively promote. Us on the other hand collectively have been far more reserved about what we're about, until in my opinion recent times.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

How Welsh Became Cool on 10:29 - Jun 14 with 1855 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Brilliant post.
How Welsh Became Cool on 10:36 - Jun 14 with 1845 viewsNotLoyal

How Welsh Became Cool on 09:12 - Jun 14 by LeonWasGod

Welsh pride and pro Wales is fücking heaven.

Replace Wales with British or English and ...

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

How Welsh Became Cool on 10:49 - Jun 14 with 1834 viewsladyjack

There was a hightide mark for growing Welsh pride at the turn of the millennium, 'Cool Cymru' and all that, immigration [from England] into Wales from that time has continued at pace possibly damping Welsh pride but now 20 years on from 'Cool Cymru' Welsh pride is making a comeback fuelled in no small part by the relative success of Welsh language schools in recent times plus in some cases the integration of incomers into feeling and quite rightly in lots of cases regarding themselves as Welsh.
How Welsh Became Cool on 23:56 - Jun 14 with 1652 viewsJack59

I think there was far more pride in being Welsh over 40 years ago. That was a time when Wales could boast some of the best known artists in the World.
Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Richard Burton, were big names internationally and especially in the USA where Geraint Thomas, our Rugby stars and even Gareth Bale would hardly be recognised.
On the subject of Independence, I can assure you that if Rangers and Celtic were given the green light for entry to the English football pyramid, it would be the last you'd hear of Scottish Independence. Likewise, the threat of Welsh clubs being excluded from the English pyramid system finishes any likelihood of Independence.
How Welsh Became Cool on 00:16 - Jun 15 with 1634 viewsKilkennyjack

How Welsh Became Cool on 23:56 - Jun 14 by Jack59

I think there was far more pride in being Welsh over 40 years ago. That was a time when Wales could boast some of the best known artists in the World.
Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Richard Burton, were big names internationally and especially in the USA where Geraint Thomas, our Rugby stars and even Gareth Bale would hardly be recognised.
On the subject of Independence, I can assure you that if Rangers and Celtic were given the green light for entry to the English football pyramid, it would be the last you'd hear of Scottish Independence. Likewise, the threat of Welsh clubs being excluded from the English pyramid system finishes any likelihood of Independence.

With all due respect, your post is a load of old bollox.

Half the population has no interest in football.

as we are making stuff up ... post Brexit will see English teams expelled from European competition. Only fair. I guarantee you that will end Brexit.

How Welsh Became Cool on 00:30 - Jun 15 with 1632 viewsJack59

How Welsh Became Cool on 00:16 - Jun 15 by Kilkennyjack

as we are making stuff up ... post Brexit will see English teams expelled from European competition. Only fair. I guarantee you that will end Brexit.

Personally, I would have said less than well under half the population of Wales has no interest in football. But the issue would still be an absolute non starter for far too many voters to consider. As much as the WAG members, and North Walian boyos would love it, it ain't gonna happen.
Wales is too small to go it alone.
How Welsh Became Cool on 00:35 - Jun 15 with 1628 viewsJack59

How Welsh Became Cool on 00:30 - Jun 15 by Jack59

Personally, I would have said less than well under half the population of Wales has no interest in football. But the issue would still be an absolute non starter for far too many voters to consider. As much as the WAG members, and North Walian boyos would love it, it ain't gonna happen.

Should have read 'well under half the population of Wales has any interest in football'
How Welsh Became Cool on 07:27 - Jun 15 with 1564 viewsjohnlangy

I remember revently seeing a paper headline from 1959 saying Malta was too small to go it alone.

There have been loads of posts in loads of threads explaining why Wales will be perfectly okay going Indy. Have you not read ANY of them ?
How Welsh Became Cool on 09:09 - Jun 15 with 1522 viewsSgorioFruit

Ardderchog

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

How Welsh Became Cool on 11:34 - Jun 15 with 1497 viewsWxmJax

How Welsh Became Cool on 00:16 - Jun 15 by Kilkennyjack

English teams will be expelled in the same way that teams from Israel, Azerbaijan, Turkey, etc are not allowed to compete ?

Or are you talking something similar to the mid 80's ?

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

How Welsh Became Cool on 12:44 - Jun 15 with 1460 viewsJack59

How Welsh Became Cool on 07:27 - Jun 15 by johnlangy

I remember revently seeing a paper headline from 1959 saying Malta was too small to go it alone.

There have been loads of posts in loads of threads explaining why Wales will be perfectly okay going Indy. Have you not read ANY of them ?

Do you have any ideas on how we could possibly reposition Wales somewhere in the Mediterranean, so we can develop a similar tourism income stream, or is there an untapped source of 'rainchasers' that we should be looking for?
Also Malta joined the EU in 2004 and derives financial benefit from that membership. I don't think the EU is looking for any more economic basket cases at the moment.
How Welsh Became Cool on 20:24 - Jun 15 with 1364 viewsphact0rri

How Welsh Became Cool on 11:34 - Jun 15 by WxmJax

English teams will be expelled in the same way that teams from Israel, Azerbaijan, Turkey, etc are not allowed to compete ?

Or are you talking something similar to the mid 80's ?

or expect that UEFA will pass up all that Manchester, Liverpool, and London money sitting on the table. Yeah that's probably going to happen.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

How Welsh Became Cool on 20:35 - Jun 15 with 1351 viewsphact0rri

Up until maybe a decade a go. My mother (who is american) would refer to Wales, as 'Wales, England'. Though I do imagine me actually talking to her a fairbit over the phone might have been a step in changing her vernacular.

One of my sisters-- still does that though-- and this is my sister who went to primary school in Wales during the start of devolution.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

How Welsh Became Cool on 22:00 - Jun 16 with 1202 viewsGlyn1

How Welsh Became Cool on 12:44 - Jun 15 by Jack59

Do you have any ideas on how we could possibly reposition Wales somewhere in the Mediterranean, so we can develop a similar tourism income stream, or is there an untapped source of 'rainchasers' that we should be looking for?
Also Malta joined the EU in 2004 and derives financial benefit from that membership. I don't think the EU is looking for any more economic basket cases at the moment.

"or is there an untapped source of 'rainchasers' that we should be looking for? "

Well, the Irish Tourist Board did once market Ireland as "the land of liquid sunshine". Should have been done under the Trade Descriptions Act.

How Welsh Became Cool on 22:00 - Jun 16 with 1201 viewsGlyn1

Two languages ... you mean like men's and women's?

How Welsh Became Cool on 00:18 - Jun 17 with 1171 viewsBytholWyn

The idea that Wales is too small to go it alone is the most perverse counter-factual concept out there. Have a look at this list of countires according to GNI per capita (the best measure of income): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GNI_(nominal)_per_capita

9 of the top 10 countries have population of less than 10 million - 8 with populations of less than 6 million, including the Republic of Ireland. The facts unequivocally show that being small is a distinct advantage when it comes to economic success. Time for a fair few out there to get with the times.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024