Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No Checkatrade for the u21s 13:54 - Jun 14 with 6201 viewsjasper_T

We've not been invited. Shame, has been a great experience for the development lads, and we've done better than many academy sides getting past the group stages each year iirc.

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/june/liverpool-and-manchester-united-u21s-confirme
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 15:27 - Jun 14 with 4654 viewsPhil_S

When you say we haven't been invited it makes it sound like we have been shunned

We haven't been invited because our league finish was not good enough and therefore we effectively did not qualify for an invite.
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 15:47 - Jun 14 with 4622 viewsCooperman

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 15:27 - Jun 14 by Phil_S

When you say we haven't been invited it makes it sound like we have been shunned

We haven't been invited because our league finish was not good enough and therefore we effectively did not qualify for an invite.

My thoughts too. If we don’t qualify on merit then so be it and that’s a completely different situation to having been shown the middle finger by the EFL.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 08:01 - Jun 15 with 4343 viewsjackrmee

I thought it went on cat1 academy status?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 08:50 - Jun 15 with 4264 viewsBadlands

A bit of a sleight to Swansea which has done OK in the competition.

'64 teams enter from Round One, including all 48 teams from League One and League Two, along with 16 category 1 Premier League and 1 EFL Championship academy/under-21 sides. '
Only Fulham outside the PL are included.

There is no under 21 League to take consideration of so it looks like they've gone PL and Fulham.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 09:34 - Jun 15 with 4209 viewsjasper_T

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 08:01 - Jun 15 by jackrmee

I thought it went on cat1 academy status?

The top 16 teams with Cat One status sorted by first team league finish. Usually a few don't accept the invite so the offer gets kicked further down the tables. But that wouldn't have helped much this year when Boro and Derby would have been eligible before us.

edit: And West Brom.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2019 9:43]
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 09:38 - Jun 15 with 4201 viewsSgorioFruit

Just another step in the journey of the Swans spiralling down.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 09:42 - Jun 15 with 4193 viewsjasper_T

If it was decided by u23s performance then despite our relegation season we'd have been in ahead of Southampton, Wolves, Newcastle, Man Utd, Fulham and Norwich, who have been playing in division 2 (Wolves and Southampton did get promoted, though).

Blackburn and Derby also have top division development sides who miss out due to first team placings.
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 12:42 - Jun 15 with 4122 viewsPhil_S

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 09:42 - Jun 15 by jasper_T

If it was decided by u23s performance then despite our relegation season we'd have been in ahead of Southampton, Wolves, Newcastle, Man Utd, Fulham and Norwich, who have been playing in division 2 (Wolves and Southampton did get promoted, though).

Blackburn and Derby also have top division development sides who miss out due to first team placings.

We'd have been in if it was based on distance from Dublin

Simple fact is we aren't in because our league position dictated we shouldnt be.
Login to get fewer ads

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 13:02 - Jun 15 with 4092 viewsjasper_T

Simple fact is that it's a shame and based on the merit of the sides that actually compete in it (not the first team) we deserve to be there more than many.
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 13:32 - Jun 15 with 4055 viewsSwanjaxs

End of the day no U21sides should be in it, the League 1&2 sides and their supporters quite rightly regard it as an insult

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 14:13 - Jun 15 with 4006 viewsPhil_S

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 13:02 - Jun 15 by jasper_T

Simple fact is that it's a shame and based on the merit of the sides that actually compete in it (not the first team) we deserve to be there more than many.

No we don't
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 14:24 - Jun 15 with 3980 viewsSwanjaxs

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 13:32 - Jun 15 by Swanjaxs

End of the day no U21sides should be in it, the League 1&2 sides and their supporters quite rightly regard it as an insult

... and instead of downarrowing me like a couple of weasels tell me why you think U21 sides should be allowed to denigrate a cup competition that has been going for many years now for the lower League sides? Swansea City supporters should appreciate this competition more than most by the way
[Post edited 15 Jun 2019 14:26]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 14:25 - Jun 15 with 3976 viewsjasper_T

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 14:13 - Jun 15 by Phil_S

No we don't

You don't think our u23s side is better than those that have been competing a division lower for the last few seasons? We had a poor season but Norwich finished 11th in division 2.

Manchester United's team were relegated a season before us and have made no waves at the lower level.
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 16:58 - Jun 15 with 3851 viewsBadlands

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 14:25 - Jun 15 by jasper_T

You don't think our u23s side is better than those that have been competing a division lower for the last few seasons? We had a poor season but Norwich finished 11th in division 2.

Manchester United's team were relegated a season before us and have made no waves at the lower level.

That was under 23s not under 21s.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:00 - Jun 15 with 3849 viewsKilkennyjack

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 14:24 - Jun 15 by Swanjaxs

... and instead of downarrowing me like a couple of weasels tell me why you think U21 sides should be allowed to denigrate a cup competition that has been going for many years now for the lower League sides? Swansea City supporters should appreciate this competition more than most by the way
[Post edited 15 Jun 2019 14:26]

I agree.

Its disrespectful to the game - and simply reinforces that money trumps tradition.

I don't want to see Liverpools u23s play some of the traditional clubs, like O’s.

Play u23 vs u23 as much as you like, but no to this nonsense.
Find a different way to develop young players.

Beware of the Risen People

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:40 - Jun 15 with 3812 viewsjasper_T

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 16:58 - Jun 15 by Badlands

That was under 23s not under 21s.

Functionally they're the same sides. Despite being u21s the competition rules allow more overage players than PL2 u23s, so there's no meaningful differences in selection except when teams play older reserve players, which is against the spirit of academy side involvement (which we did in the first year, with Tremmel, Mawson and Ki getting games iirc).

Always funny to hear lower league teams whinge about the competition being devalued when they've been putting out reserve teams and their own young players half the time anyway.
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:46 - Jun 15 with 3799 viewsPhil_S

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 14:25 - Jun 15 by jasper_T

What has that got to do with the point being made?

Oh yeah, that's right - nothing
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:50 - Jun 15 with 3787 viewsSwanjaxs

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:40 - Jun 15 by jasper_T

Functionally they're the same sides. Despite being u21s the competition rules allow more overage players than PL2 u23s, so there's no meaningful differences in selection except when teams play older reserve players, which is against the spirit of academy side involvement (which we did in the first year, with Tremmel, Mawson and Ki getting games iirc).

Always funny to hear lower league teams whinge about the competition being devalued when they've been putting out reserve teams and their own young players half the time anyway.

Yes hilarious ain't it... just like every Premier league side puts out reserves/youngsters in the early round of the EFL and FA Cup ties, thing is see it's their prerogative... now go down arrow this 👍

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:50 - Jun 15 with 3787 viewsjasper_T

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:46 - Jun 15 by Phil_S

"based on the merit of the sides that actually compete in it (not the first team) we deserve to be there more than many."

"No we don't"

?
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:53 - Jun 15 with 3782 viewsjasper_T

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:50 - Jun 15 by Swanjaxs

Yes hilarious ain't it... just like every Premier league side puts out reserves/youngsters in the early round of the EFL and FA Cup ties, thing is see it's their prerogative... now go down arrow this 👍

It's no longer their prerogative to be able to play weakened teams and expect to progress. Poor dabs.

The competition is better for academy involvement. The standard is higher and it aids player development.
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:55 - Jun 15 with 3775 viewsSwanjaxs

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:46 - Jun 15 by Phil_S

Mate your flogging a dead horse with this one, jt is incapable of putting his hand up and admitting he's making a tool of himself... 😂

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 18:00 - Jun 15 with 3762 viewsjasper_T

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 17:55 - Jun 15 by Swanjaxs

Mate your flogging a dead horse with this one, jt is incapable of putting his hand up and admitting he's making a tool of himself... 😂

Says the grown man (I'm assuming) having a tantrum about being downvoted.
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 18:12 - Jun 15 with 3731 viewsSwanjaxs

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 18:00 - Jun 15 by jasper_T

Says the grown man (I'm assuming) having a tantrum about being downvoted.

Downarrow all you want old man, just think it's a bit creepy/sly to vote with your little pinky without coming back with a reply... by the way did you use to post on scfc2 by any chance? Your posting style reminds me of a bit of a plank on there who's username escapes me

No Checkatrade for the u21s on 18:23 - Jun 15 with 3703 viewsBillyChong

No U23 sides should be invited to join the competition. We had a couple of nice days out in this competition, leave the lower clubs have their chance. A much better idea would be to invite some
Conference clubs again like they did some years back.
No Checkatrade for the u21s on 18:31 - Jun 15 with 3689 viewsbluey_the_blue

Why would you be invited? Your u23 side is your first team squad isn't it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024