Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 51st Highland Division 20:34 - Jun 15 with 945 viewsdickythorpe

Brave, brave men. I just watched a documentary on C4 about them.
I'm sure Loh has mentioned them on here over the years.
The 51st Highland Division on 21:09 - Jun 15 with 905 viewsJonathans_coat

Agreed. Sadly not a well known story as Dunkirk gets the headlines in this stage of the war. Must not forget the Calais garrison as well, who fought on bravely knowing there was no hope of rescue, to draw the Germans attention from the Dunkirk pocket.
The 51st Highland Division on 16:52 - Jun 17 with 714 viewsLohengrin

I recall a thread on the 51st some years back, Dicky. It was probably on the old site around the time of the commemorations for the 70th anniversary of the Dunkirk evacuations?

The reason we don’t hear or talk about St Valery or Calais that much is because for us it’s not a ‘local’ story. If you were a Scot you’d have grown up with the story of the 51st, likewise if you were a proper cockney descended from old east London stock you’d know a lot more about Calais. The Queen Victoria Rifle, ‘The Vics’ was the territorial infantry battalion that recruited around Bethnal Green and surrounding districts. No. Those lads are not forgotten.

"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself."

Joseph Campbell

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The 51st Highland Division on 17:23 - Jun 17 with 697 viewscontroversial_jack

The 51st Highland Division on 16:52 - Jun 17 by Lohengrin

I recall a thread on the 51st some years back, Dicky. It was probably on the old site around the time of the commemorations for the 70th anniversary of the Dunkirk evacuations?

The reason we don’t hear or talk about St Valery or Calais that much is because for us it’s not a ‘local’ story. If you were a Scot you’d have grown up with the story of the 51st, likewise if you were a proper cockney descended from old east London stock you’d know a lot more about Calais. The Queen Victoria Rifle, ‘The Vics’ was the territorial infantry battalion that recruited around Bethnal Green and surrounding districts. No. Those lads are not forgotten.

"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself."

Joseph Campbell

Or the 53rd Welsh division who did some really tough fighting and never faltered
The 51st Highland Division on 23:22 - Jun 17 with 629 viewsTreforys_Jack

Recently discovered my Great Grandfather was in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps 21st battalion Yeoman rifles, so downloaded the battalion diary, fascinating stuff for anyone with any interest. Day to day account of action and casualties.
The 51st Highland Division on 11:10 - Jun 18 with 545 viewssquarebear

The 51st Highland Division on 23:22 - Jun 17 by Treforys_Jack

Recently discovered my Great Grandfather was in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps 21st battalion Yeoman rifles, so downloaded the battalion diary, fascinating stuff for anyone with any interest. Day to day account of action and casualties.

That's a nice website.

I recently had a breakthrough searching for my grandfather's war past when his campaign medals turned up in my late mum's belongings revealing his service number and regiment, which in turn led me to his medal record containing his battalion.

It sounds like he got "lucky". He'd been working as a footman when he answered Kitchener's call and joined the Royal Artillery in 1915. His regiment initially fought in France, but he was still in Blighty training. Then they went to Gallipoli, while he was still training.

By the time he completed his training his regiment were in North Africa. He spent his war years there. I know diddly about that campaign but this discovery has whetted my appetite to find out what I can.
The 51st Highland Division on 16:25 - Jun 18 with 462 viewsLohengrin

The 51st Highland Division on 17:23 - Jun 17 by controversial_jack

Or the 53rd Welsh division who did some really tough fighting and never faltered

The 53rd’s hour came years after these events, but you’re right, they certainly rose to the challenge when it arrived.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024